Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    All valid points above, it also depends on your mentor too. When I went for my first 2 tests my mentor wanted to see passing practice exams. After that he knew I wasn't screwing around and wasn't going to waste vouchers if I didn't already know that I was ready for the test. After that I would just ask him to approve an voucher as soon as he added a class so I could take it whenever I was ready.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was just going to buy a voucher from someone on here and take the test on a whim to see how their test environment is, but there is a chance I would pass it. I will just wait until my start date next month and immediately ask to take it.
  • Options
    TheReceiverTheReceiver Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'll probably sign up with this school as soon as I can confirm it will work for my needs.

In the mean time I have been working on Security+ following MTA's they have for certain courses and lastly Project+

Hoping to transfer in about 60 CU's if possible
  • Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jasiono wrote: »
    I was just going to buy a voucher from someone on here and take the test on a whim to see how their test environment is, but there is a chance I would pass it. I will just wait until my start date next month and immediately ask to take it.

Cisco exams have had a more serious feel to me for some reason compared to the rest. A big difference with Cisco exams is you can't go back to previous questions, once you click "Next", you've committed to your answer. GNS3 is a great alternative to buying actual hardware for learning IOS commands needed for the exam(s), and GNS3 is free...you just need to "locate" an IOS to use with it on your own.

I took the CCNA composite exam years ago but I know the content was updated back in October 2013 or so. Among answering multi-choice questions I remember having to configure a router ACL to prevent certain machines from accessing certain servers and blocking Internet access, and there was a 5-part question that required knowing switch commands (MAC and VLAN stuff mainly). I doubt they are the same scenarios now so I don't mind tell you about them. :) The testing experience may be different since you plan on doing the two-exam route.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    The CCNA is going to be a beast. I'm thinking of convincing my mentor to let me take it early on to try to put some space between it and the Linux+/CCNA Security/capstone.
  • Options
    abnmiabnmi Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So i am thinking about pursuing a BSIT in Security. I already have a BS in General Studies and a MA degree. Pertinent certs i have include the CISSP and GSEC. Overall what is everyone's opinion on pursuing a second Bachelors and what about the certs.
  • Options
    CurchelCurchel Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thats what I did for c393- I was tired of studying so I paid dor the 801 exam myself and passed it. So much for waiting on my mentor
  • Options
    CurchelCurchel Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lol. im laughing at the Google idea. Its so funny that I never thought of that.
  • Options
    BookFellaBookFella Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Once you've gotten confirmation from WGU that they have received all of your transcripts, how long does the transfer evaluation take?
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    BookFella wrote: »
    Once you've gotten confirmation from WGU that they have received all of your transcripts, how long does the transfer evaluation take?

A week seems to be the average. You'll get an email confirmation.
  • Options
    BookFellaBookFella Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks LordSevink!
  • Options
    durena01durena01 Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Applied to WGU in late February after reading all the post about the school. Sent in all transcripts took them about 2 weeks to get everything and finalize whats been transferred. I ended up with 59CU transferred. I applied to the Information Security B.S. always had a passion for the Sec field but lack the experience. I have been working IT for the past 4 years mostly desktop support roles and on and off with the military.

Im glad to say I started orientation and finished just eager to start the journey of finally finishing a bachelors degree so I can provide for the family.
  • Options
    durena01 wrote: »
    Applied to WGU in late February after reading all the post about the school. Sent in all transcripts took them about 2 weeks to get everything and finalize whats been transferred. I ended up with 59CU transferred. I applied to the Information Security B.S. always had a passion for the Sec field but lack the experience. I have been working IT for the past 4 years mostly desktop support roles and on and off with the military.

Im glad to say I started orientation and finished just eager to start the journey of finally finishing a bachelors degree so I can provide for the family.

Welcome aboard. I too am in the IT-Sec program and transferred in 42 units, started in March 2014, and I'm about to accelerate my last four courses on Monday.

With the head start you have you should easily be able to knock it out in a year and a half or less...it's pretty impressive what you can accomplish when you're left to your own devices. :)
  • Options
    WinzerWinzer Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am starting the IT:Sec BS on June 1st if everything goes well.

I have a CCENT. My understanding is that this will waive the CCENT course.
    However my cert is only valid until november 2016. This means they need to let me do the CCNA before then.

Will they let me do the CCNA on my first term? Should I start studying for it?

The downside is that my CCNA would only be valid for a full year after I get my degree, even less if I take more than 2 years to finish.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my case, my mentor let me take any course after I reached 12 cu's in the term. I would study for a comptia test before you get started. I'd strongly suggest project+ because it uses ucertify which is basically one of the suggested books and some extra practice tests. Net+ and Sec+ use labsim which is a great, expensive resource and the net+ pre-assessment that requires 95%+ to sit the exam, was difficult after reading the exam cram.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Winzer wrote: »

However my cert is only valid until november 2016. This means they need to let me do the CCNA before then.

The downside is that my CCNA would only be valid for a full year after I get my degree, even less if I take more than 2 years to finish.

Firstly, your mentor should let you take the CCNA before then. Even if there was a hard no on not doing the CCNA your first term, all you do is sign up for the easiest classes your first term, bang those out quickly, and then you'll be able to do your CCNA before November because you technically finished your first term by completing those initial classes.

Secondly, the CCNA Security renews your CCNA. Take that towards the end of your program and you'll be good.
  • Options
    ElegyxElegyx Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I finally start May 1st after getting all of the paperwork and financial aid stuff done. I'm pumped. Transferred in 56 credits from my previous coursework. I'm in the BS: IT Security track. How long do you think it could take (if I'm at it a lot) to complete the program? I'm hoping to get it done in a year (2 terms) which would just be $6,000.
  • Options
    Winzer wrote: »

Markulous is correct. One of Cisco's renewal paths is lateral...passing any CCNA exam will renew any currently held CCNA certification. CCNA-Sec will renew your CCNA...then the CCNA-Wireless would renew your CCNA-Sec and CCNA...the CCNA-Voice, etc., etc. Cisco wants you to learn new stuff, not spend your time trying to keep every certification current.

A higher level cert has this same effect, passing a CCNP exam will renew everything on the CCNP level and the CCNA level, but in my opinion, if you put you have a CCNA-Sec and a CCNP-Sec, you're just proud of yourself...always use the highest level one. Renewal doesn't go uphill though, If you have a CCNP and get the CCNA-Voice, it will only renew things at the CCNA level.

For the sake of thoroughness, if you get any CCIE, there are no prerequisites for anything. You can go straight to a CCNP level exam and skip its CCNA version.
  • Options
    WinzerWinzer Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    Firstly, your mentor should let you take the CCNA before then. Even if there was a hard no on not doing the CCNA your first term, all you do is sign up for the easiest classes your first term, bang those out quickly, and then you'll be able to do your CCNA before November because you technically finished your first term by completing those initial classes.

Secondly, the CCNA Security renews your CCNA. Take that towards the end of your program and you'll be good.

This makes sense, thank you. I had completely forgot IT:Sec also made you pass the CCNA Security; stupid me.

Now that you mention it, which classes would you consider are the easiest?
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Anyone have any thoughts as far as doing the general education courses through WGU versus Straighterline?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Straighterline is much tougher. Just go through WGU IMHO.
  • Options
    okragnokragn Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've tried searching the thread and I've looked all through WGU's website, but I can't seem to come up with what the math requirement would be for the B.S. in IT-Security? I'd be very grateful if somebody could clue me in.
  • Options
    yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can someone help me clarify this WGU "Security" requirements?

C393= what cert? A+?
    C394= what cert? Network?
    Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)
  • Options
    jeromelongjjeromelongj Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    c393 = A+ 801 c394 = A+ 802
  • Options
    yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    so 801+802=A+ that is required for the C393 and C394....thanks so much .
    c393 = A+ 801 c394 = A+ 802
    Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)
  • Options
    How realistic do you guys think it is to get a BS of IT within 5 months with 61 CU transferred?
  • Options
    I couldn't do it. I'm working on it 40+ hours a week and I'll be lucky to get 40 CU's in 6 months, that's not counting cisco courses which are the most difficult.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Well ill have a bunch of the technical certs that I will be able to transfer, and generally can survive on 5 hours sleep with no social life save for some gaming on the weekends which even of late used for certification prep and exams.

Of late I put forth 40 hours (on top off 40 hour work week) of study time...

The only course that worries me is Scripting course otherwise the GE ones dont worry me that much.

I guess on average how many hours per course do you guys use? It could give me some perspective on how hard I have to push to complete it by October provided everything up to that point works out.
  • Options
    So far around 100 hours of study on average probably. Intro to IT and Project+ were <40 hours but N+ and Sec+ were a bit more. While it's become much quicker with the at home proctoring not having a 3+ day wait to take a test, the mentors are still kind of slow on things and at least a few days are wasted a month waiting for them, like the past 2 days have been.
  • Options
    Then ill need to make sure that the mentor understand the goals in mind, if he/she cant hang then respectfully get me someone else lol

The certs I have already are listed under my profile, so the only CompTIA exam I have left is the Project+ of which I hope to dedicate maybe 50-60 hours to

I have to get these other CIW certifications out of the way and try to buy time for that cert as it will likely be the most difficult since the material is dry.

Lately I get about 4 hours of sleep and since the current contract is at a dead stop because of on going issues and they have nothing for us to do, I study at work most of the time so im maybe getting about 70+ hours of studying for transferable certifications at the moment.