Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I usually don't give a direct progress report, but in this case I'm making an exception. I spent last Thursday and part of Friday doing my Tech Writing and got it back Friday night as good (12 pages on Thursday, 6 pages plus 2 pages of schedule on Friday, all at my desk...it was a slow week last week). I used MS Project for the scheduling, 37 tasks with lots of predecessors to make the Gantt look much more complicated than it really is. :)

I got the "common mistakes" tips from the CM this morning with the note it shouldn't take more than 5-10 hours to rework the paper for Capstone submission. Hopefully by Friday at the latest I'll have the good news for a couple of reasons...my fantastic mentor informed me she's going back to teaching Cisco Academy stuff and June 1 is her last day at WGU, so she's been pushing me this term to finish before she leaves (27 units so far since March 1).

It's been a fun ride since I started in March 2014. I'm kind of mixed on how I feel with it coming to a close soon.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    vmixer wrote: »
    Kind of a stupid questions but did any of you start your classes before you spoke with your mentor and technically enrolled?

I finished EWOB on Friday, paid my tuition and noticed and my degree plan opened up. My start date is June 1 but Id like to use the next two weeks to start grinding on the GE classes (I only came in with 3cu)

I saw the tasks for DIT1 (Eng 101) got to work. I have rough drafts for the first three tasks, I'd like to do the 4th tomorrow at work :)

Will this be frowned upon by my mentor? When I have my initial talk with them, should I tell them I am already working on tasks? I also took two pre-assesments and scored above the cut limit. Does that mean when I start I can go right to the final?

I actually see Student Services is open Sundays! I wasn't expecting that being that they are based out of Utah. I was in SLC a few years ago and the entire city shuts down on Sunday.

You can access all course material as soon as you get access to your degree plan, which I believe opens up after you complete orientation. This usually happens before your last week before the start of the term, which is when your mentor contacts you.

I think your mentor will be impressed that you got the ball rolling.
  • Options
    thisdudehenrythisdudehenry Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Chadius wrote: »

So if I understand this right they removed object oriented classes from software development course ?..
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Python and Java are both object-oriented languages. They are the most difficult courses for me so far, will be glad to have them done.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    Python and Java are both object-oriented languages. They are the most difficult courses for me so far, will be glad to have them done.
    I kinda wanted to learn python though , so is this basically just mostly be java learning with no OOP?
  • Options
    Python and Java are in the degrees since March. They replace MTA software development which is .net/c# and apparently very difficult for an MTA cert.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Python and Java are in the degrees since March. They replace MTA software development which is .net/c# and apparently very difficult for an MTA cert.

Ah I understand, I just read through the course guide as well.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took Java at some point in my life recently and yet I need to take that class instead of Python. Still makes no sense.
  • Options
    C173 (Python course) was pretty straight forward with the basics...declarations, loops, if-else logic, etc. UML was touched on quite a bit, so be familiar with those terms and concepts. C173 treats Python as a procedural language and doesn't get into any (hardly) OOP concepts. It is a pretty high-level intro course to get you familiar with how programs work.

I really liked C169 (Java course). The OA wasn't hard and the PA wasn't too bad. If you have any hobby OOP experience then it should be doable quick. I dabble in C# and just had to get use to how Java does accessors and the change in method names, other than that it was cake. Keep inheritance in mind when it comes to a few of the PA requirements.
  • Options
    Did you take C173/169 recently? I heard they had it as a beta class for 6+ months and it's much different now. The C169 project stumped the course mentors but we finally got it. It asks to do something that's rarely used, add to an arraylist without using arraylist.add.

I think a lot of my issues with the tests was I wasn't very interested in the material and the practice and pre-tests weren't very close to the final test. I hope to take and pass the c169 test tonight and go out and celebrate.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm a train wreck in programming. That class will probably be one of the last I take.
  • Options
    Did you take C173/169 recently? I heard they had it as a beta class for 6+ months and it's much different now. The C169 project stumped the course mentors but we finally got it. It asks to do something that's rarely used, add to an arraylist without using arraylist.add.

I think a lot of my issues with the tests was I wasn't very interested in the material and the practice and pre-tests weren't very close to the final test. I hope to take and pass the c169 test tonight and go out and celebrate.

I took them both in the latter half of March. I did C169 first under the impression it satisfied C173, but it turned out not to be the case. Did the C169 project in about five days and another three for the exam and three days for C173 (I was under the old three day scheduling window for exams until April 1st). The specifications for the task must have changed because I used the ArrayList.Add() to populate my list...I'm not sure why they'd ask you to go out of your way to do something so simple. According to some of the course chatter the non-static print() method in the Student class and the static print_all() in the main class gave some students some problems, but recalling inheritance should make that one fairly simple.

I'm a little late responding, but I hope your test went well the other night. :)
  • Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Interesting y'all are talking about C173. How close is the real assessment to the pre-assessment? I just passed the pre-assessment, but not with a super high score. I would like to take the exam this weekend so I don't end up spending more than a week in the class. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    I passed the C169 that night, had a fairly easy test this time around, glad to be done with it.

I didn't think the C173 final test was very close to the pre-test, much more difficult but everyone gets a different test.
  • Options
    athenosathenos Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    C175 (Database Fundamentals) is replacing CVV1, which was/is the database course that ended with the Microsoft database cert test. I'm trying to decide whether to do the CVV1 or switch to the new C175. I'm leaning toward keeping the CVV1 because the MS cert will be a nice thing on the resume. I understand that this cert is not a top level cert for a database admin, but for my career the cert could be seen as as a non-essential bonus showing some understanding of an IT area that I deal with a bit less directly.

Is C175 also SQL focused? Any benefit either way? Does anyone have the course of study pdf for C175.
  • Options
    I'd go with the mta cert since it'll improve your resume and sql is very helpful in sys admin positions if that's your path, it's also a useful intro to microsoft tests. C175 is sql and c170 is mysql. c170 is the advanced course. I asked my SM if I could switch to the mta and was declined.
  • Options
    athenosathenos Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd go with the mta cert since it'll improve your resume and sql is very helpful in sys admin positions if that's your path, it's also a useful intro to microsoft tests. C175 is sql and c170 is mysql. c170 is the advanced course. I asked my SM if I could switch to the mta and was declined.

Thanks. I was enrolled early enough that the mta cert is what is already on my degree plan, but my mentor said that WGU is encouraging those of us who already have the msa path on our degree plan to consider the new class. It sounded like the switch may have had to do with the proctor locations for the test being sparse in some areas. We have a place in town, so it is no issue for me.

I'm leaning (hard) toward sticking with the msa cert option.
  • Options
    Yeah, I think I'm going to talk to my SM again and see if I can get it switched back to mta. Started in February so had it for a month but then all transitioned without asking if I wanted to keep any.
  • Options
    Yeah, I think I'm going to talk to my SM again and see if I can get it switched back to mta. Started in February so had it for a month but then all transitioned without asking if I wanted to keep any.

Just curious, why switch back if you already have C173/C169 done? They were brought to replace the 98-361 exam (if that's the exam you're referring to).

The MTA certs won't add much if any benefit from a resume' perspective...one of the reason WGU is dropping them (along with the CIW exams) is they just don't carry any weight with employers.
  • Options
    Switching back to sql mta, being able to put any sql experience\cert on my resume would be a big benefit right now. Also I've found ms sql a lot more in demand than mysql. wgu's advanced course is for the latter. I wouldn't switch back to .net mta, in network/security field I think python is more important and java is just as important as C#, asp.net, and other languages that are in the mta.
  • Options
    Switching back to sql mta, being able to put any sql experience\cert on my resume would be a big benefit right now. Also I've found ms sql a lot more in demand than mysql. wgu's advanced course is for the latter. I wouldn't switch back to .net mta, in network/security field I think python is more important and java is just as important as C#, asp.net, and other languages that are in the mta.

I can understand that from the DB side of things. From my chair, MySQL is popular with the website crowd, but other than that MS SQL would open more (and larger) doors.
  • Options
    TheReceiverTheReceiver Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So originally, I have been working with WGU since April for a June start, that fell through and I was supposed to start July.

Just got the news that they reached the cap in July last Friday. So now im stuck for an August 1st start. If I make that.

All this because they have been taking so freakin long to do my evaluation.

So, with that in mind I still have every intention to graduate by October and need advise from you guys on strategies and methods to be more efficient in your studies.

What helps you guys along? More screen real estate? Tablets? (just gone one) portrait mode monitors?

I know a large portion of this will be how well I can retain content, and at a rapid rate as well. Its starting to seem like ill be pulling 16 hour days to meet my deadline, if there is anything else that you guys used to help yourselves along, please share the wealth!

I really do appreciate it

Thanks
  • Options
    The enrollment process is horrible and the waiting to get in brings back bad memories for me but glad it's almost forgotten due to how good it is once you start.

I've read from some fast trackers do the pre-assessment immediately then go off the coaching report to see what areas you need to study. I've been doing this lately and it really speeds things up, but I'm taking courses that are very minor for my career. On major courses I'm not cheating myself out of an education and slow down a bit to absorb more information. Sorry but I think it'll be nearly impossible to finish in 3 months.
  • Options
    I wont be working during this time, ill be borrowing more than I need to take care of food and gas (rent free) while im in school. Ill have to go at it like I did my certifications and go full throttle.

Im estimating about 15 hours of study each day, and I also have about 60 CU transferred in.

Though I dont know what courses ill get, since they wont let me know until orientation. Can you guys tell me if Scripting is guaranteed to be in the BS of IT? Its the only thing that Im missing (for the most part) out of the transfer criteria as I've practically fulfilled everything else. Also, its my only serious concern at this point and will need to find ways to buy time for studying that material.

If its definitely in the BS of IT, do you recommend any 3rd party material that I could use to read up in the mean time?

It was only last week that I was delayed to July, now im being pushed to August. To put it bluntly, Im stressing pretty hardcore right now.

So you dont have to go through all the course material if you dont need it? Just pass the "exam" for said course and move on to the next one?
  • Options
    I count 17 courses, after reducing your comptia certs, including the 2 scripting and programming. I've read and been told you can't take the more advanced programming or db course and get credit for the intro course any more. The only cert you'll get is linux+ which helps meet your goal. Thing is there's some waiting to get approved to take test and grade taskstream projects. This alone will probably take 3+ weeks. 5-6 months I think is more of a realistic goal but surprise us.

Python codecademy helps and is part of the course. Learn what objects, classes, procedures are and how they interact, loops, functions, operators, uml, etc.

You only have to pass the tests and complete the projects. Some of the study material isn't very good with a lot of irrelevancy but testout and ucertify are really good.
  • Options
    I count 17 courses, after reducing your comptia certs, including the 2 scripting and programming. I've read and been told you can't take the more advanced programming or db course and get credit for the intro course any more. The only cert you'll get is linux+ which helps meet your goal. Thing is there's some waiting to get approved to take test and grade taskstream projects. This alone will probably take 3+ weeks. 5-6 months I think is more of a realistic goal but surprise us.

Python codecademy helps and is part of the course. Learn what objects, classes, procedures are and how they interact, loops, functions, operators, uml, etc.

You only have to pass the tests and complete the projects. Some of the study material isn't very good with a lot of irrelevancy but testout and ucertify are really good.

So in short I have to do 2 courses a week under that scenario.

However I should have DB covered under the IT transfer criteria. It was last updated May 1st of this year, unless its changed (it could very well have been, just looking at the latest I have)

These courses I should definitely have:

C455, C255, C393, C394, C376, C172, C175, C298, C176, C220, C221, C480, C178, C170, not sure about C100 though

I took Japanese as my Humanities in college, but WGU might not see it that way.

From my understanding I should have a majority of the tech related completed according to https://share.wgu.edu/sites/academic/shb/transferguidelines/Documents/IT/Transfer%20Guidelines%20-%20Information%20Technology%20Emphasis%20201503%20%28Effective%20May%201%2C%202015%29%203-30-2015.pdf
  • Options
    TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I assume they don't require you to take the intro course if you pass the certification ahead of time?
    I've read and been told you can't take the more advanced programming or db course and get credit for the intro course any more. The only cert you'll get is linux+ which helps meet your goal.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Two courses per week? Yikes. I thought I made good time completing a course in two to three. :)
  • Options
    xD LucasxD Lucas Member Posts: 107
    I recently received a credit transcript evaluation, and I don't have to take C132, C455, C456, C255, and C100. I'm enrolled in Information Systems.

That said, what's the best order to complete the remaining classes?
    2015 Objectives: MTA: 98-349 ✔ → CompTIA A+ → CompTIA Network+ CompTIA Security+
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Lucas, two issues here.

1. There is no such thing as an 'Information Systems' degree from WGU.
    2. You can't expect anyone to have memorized the nonsensical course codes. Please use actual course titles.

Fix those issues and you're more likely to get an answer.