Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    Anyone know if CompTIA Cloud+ is a replacement for CompTIA DHTI+ or Convergence+ which are no longer available? This would satisfy C480 transfer requirement if so.

I think it's only network +, CCNA and MCSA that satisfy that class but I could be wrong
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well for all the complaining I did, 77 CUs transferred in which leaves 8 classes + I assume technical writing and capstone. Java did not transfer in, going to try to dispute that. Would be ecstatic if I could win that. Would leave CCNA security which I have been ready to take, Security+ which shouldn't be too hard for me, project+ which I have heard is easy, some other leadership class, databases which would be new to me, and Linux+ classes which would also be relatively new to me (did take Unix in college). Pretty excited. Basically the only classes I have to take also get me certified, which is awesome.

C169 is what is not met.

This is the description of the class I took at a 4 year school:

Fundamentals of Computer Science (4)
    Fundamental computing concepts, components and processes; hardware and software components; communications and information systems; use of systems software; problem solving with application software; introduction to design of algorithms using a high-level programming language. (3 hr. lec./1 hr. lab.) Prerequisite: Math 1000. General Education Distribution Course

It was 100% java programming

C169 is this

DScripting and Programming - Applications

This course provides an introduction to programming. It covers data structures, algorithms, and
    programming paradigms. It presents the concept of an object as well as the object -

oriented paradigm and its importance. A survey of languages is covered and the distinction between

interpreted and compiled languages is introduced. This course covers the following
    competencies:

The graduate defines programming languages, identifies common algorithms, and
    identifies the parts of the Java Programming Environment.

The graduate understands the object oriented programming paradigm and identifies its

elements.

The graduate declares, initializes, and assigns values to a variable and differentiates
    between primitive and object data types.

The graduate utilizes decision and loop constructs to control the flow of a program.

The problem is that my 4 year school course does not say Java. How can I win this battle?
  • Options
    The best I can do is find the schedule for the class for the year before I took it.

CPS 1231 T-TH Schedule Fall 2010
    (Tentative )

Week

Date

Topic

Text

Assignment

09/02

Intro to Computing

09/07

Intro to Computing

Send Prof e-mail message

Ethical computing issues

Read handouts

09/09

Hardware & Binary

Assignment 1a assigned

09/14

Algorithms

Lab 1 Assigned

Intro to Programming

L-1

09/16

Data Manipulation

Assignment 1a DUE, &

09/21

Java Identifiers &

L-2

Lab1 DUE, &

Variables

Lab 2 Assigned

09/23

Assignment Statements

L-2

09/28

Calculations In Java

L-2

Lab 2 DUE & Lab 3 Assigned

09/30

Solving Problems with Programs

10/05

Selection Statements

L-3.1,3.3

Lab 3 DUE & Lab 4 Assigned

10/07

Logic Operations

Assignment 4a Assigned

10/12

Operator Precedence

L-3.7

10/14

Formatting Output

L-3.6

Lab 4 DUE & Lab 5 Assigned

10/19

Debugging and Tracing

10/21

Midterm Review

Lab 5 DUE, Practice Exam Lab

10/26

MIDTERM EXAM

10/28

Formatted Printing

L-3

Lab 6 Assigned

11/02

Looping Concepts

L-4

11/04

While Loop

L-4

Lab 6 DUE, Lab 7 Assigned

11/09

Do While Loop

L-4

11/11

For Loop

L-4

Lab 7 DUE, Lab 8 Assigned

11/16

Arrays

L-6

11/18

Parallel Arrays

L-6

Lab 8 DUE, Lab 9 Assigned

11/23

More Arrays

L-6

11/30

Program Design

L-5

12/02

Methods

L-5

Lab 9 DUE, Lab 10 Assigned

12/07

Algorithms

Computer Security

12/09

Program testing & debugging

Computer social issues

12/14

Final Exam Review

Lab 10 DUE

12/16

FINAL EXAM

9/2010

Tentative Schedule

may be modified as needed

From that you can clearly tell it was java, right?
  • Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    77 units transferred in is not too shabby. I'd definitely try to get credit for C169, but I can tell you don't let it set you back from starting in April if they're going to take some time on it. I have some self-taught C# experience and I got scored a 76% on the pre-assessment and just finished the performance assessment tonight (this morning), and I hadn't touched the course until last Tuesday. Pretty fun little project actually, I went wild making some methods over the top and adding validation code everywhere I could. Not required for the assignment, but I figure it's good practice, hopefully the grader agrees. :)

Anyway, if they give you credit for it, sweet, if not you shouldn't have any problems with it. Better to say eff it and get started as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    GSXR750K2 wrote: »
    77 units transferred in is not too shabby. I'd definitely try to get credit for C169, but I can tell you don't let it set you back from starting in April if they're going to take some time on it. I have some self-taught C# experience and I got scored a 76% on the pre-assessment and just finished the performance assessment tonight (this morning), and I hadn't touched the course until last Tuesday. Pretty fun little project actually, I went wild making some methods over the top and adding validation code everywhere I could. Not required for the assignment, but I figure it's good practice, hopefully the grader agrees. :)

Anyway, if they give you credit for it, sweet, if not you shouldn't have any problems with it. Better to say eff it and get started as quickly as possible.

How long can it take to dispute? 81 credits would be sweet, and would only leave 7 classes (5 are certifications!) which is fantastic. I'm e-mailing my enrollment counselor today about it. I was originally planning on having to take more classes, so if I can get it down to 7 I would absolutely try and get it done in one semester. Would take a lot of work but would be worth it.
  • Options
    Not sure how long, just saying if for some strange reason it might put you a month further back on starting it may be better just to revisit some of the basics and blow through the course. Eight is very doable if you have the time (no wife and/or kids in my house), I'm working on 5 courses at once and am on track to have them done within the next five or six weeks or so. I had my C164 performance assessments returned satisfactory on Sunday.

Just a math curiosity, what courses are you showing to have left? Even if all 7 are 4 unit courses it would put you at 109, that's still 14 units shy of the 123 units of the updated program.
  • Options
    It would seem like there is only 111 credits listed on this evaluation. The technical writing and capstone is not listed though, so that would make it 119? Are those actual classes or not? I'm assuming they are but they aren't listed on here. Would still be 9 classes with those if they took Java. Is something missing here though that it's not adding up to 123? With Java it would be 84 actually, and the 9 other classes add up to 35. Still only 119???
  • Options
    I asked my mentor about the unit change when it started going down so I'd know how hurt I was going to be. The program was 120 units (as of the July/Aug change last year), but it grew to 123 with the most recent change because she said that 120 is the minimum for a degree, and if they didn't add something it would drop to 119 (my gut tells me it was C173/C169 because C173 is a 3 unit course and is subbing in for DJV1, which was a 4 unit course). Tech Writing is 3 units and the Capstone is 4.

I'm down to my last 7 courses, including Tech Writing and Capstone, and have 95 units now with 25 units to go (I'll get credit for C173 when C169 is complete, making it sort of a 7 unit course if you will). If you can get them to satisfy C169, that will take C173 with it saving you the extra time.

-EDIT-

My call is tomorrow morning, I'll see if I can get any more info on the changes and any shortcuts that can be taken
  • Options
    Okay, looking at the WGU website and looking at my evaluation, there is 33 courses on WGU site for BS:IT and my evaluation has 30. I do not have 8 of them met, + technical writing and capstone, so that's 10. Principles of Management is what is not listed on my evaluation that I think it missing.

C176
    C220
    C221
    C299
    C178
    C169 (hoping to dispute this)
    C170
    C484
    Principles of Management?
    Technical Writing
    Capstone

All that totals 39CU to go, but my evaluation would show that I have 80CUs actually transferring in. So there's definitely an issue here. My question is why isn't principles of management in my evaluation? I'm sure I won't have that satisfied.

In reality, I'm totally confused now and don't really know what I have left. Would need to see new program I guess.
  • Options
    It's hard to tell on some of these because my program came from when the course codes were three letters and a number, like C176 used to be TPV1 (pretty sure it's the same course), and it's a 6 unit course, Project+ as the final. C484 (used to be BNC1) is not bad, ties into the Project Management and Principles of Management, so you should be able to kill those three fairly quickly in succession. C170's former version was that flimsy CIW Database one, no idea on the newer course's difficulty, but SQL is pretty easy to pickup if you haven't messed with it before. C299 is the CCNA-Sec, and C178 I have no idea about...Net+ or Sec+ maybe?

The program guides have changed some too in their content...they used to tell you vendor exam numbers and material to expect, but I've noticed they've scaled back on that over the past six months.

Just another note, I'm not totally up to date on the new programs, just on what affected me, so don't take everything I say as the golden word. :)
  • Options
    Can't edit my above post for some reason...

You might download the PDF and print it off (or use the highlight tool if you have Acrobat) and mark the courses that are satisfied. This will show you what you'd got down and what you have left. I wouldn't assume everything is on the transfer evaluation because I believe there are some things that don't transfer in, so they may not be listed.
  • Options
    I printed out both the evaluation and current program guide and that's how I determined the 11 classes I have not taken.

C176 (4) Project+
    C220 (3) Linux+
    C221 (3) Linux+
    C299 (6) CCNA Sec
    C178 (4) Security+
    C169 (4) (Java - hoping to dispute this)
    C170 (4) Data Management
    C484 (3) Organizational Behavior and Leadership
    Principles of Management (4)
    Technical Writing (3)
    Capstone (5)

Totals 43CUs actually
    My Evaluation has 80CUs coming in.

So that would total 123 actually assuming my math is right (I already messed this up multiple times). Principles of management, capstone, and technical writing is not listed on evaluation though, so I'm just pulling those numbers from the PDF on the WGU website. So that would be 11 classes all together (hopefully 10 if they are nice to me with the dispute) so I could get behind that.
  • Options
    The right math is usually sad math. Surprised they dropped C176 to 4 units from 6, and surprised they raised the Capstone to 5.

Like I said, C176 and C484 will piggyback off of one another, and if you don't get out of C169 it shouldn't be a big deal for you. It seems like a lot of units to complete, but given the workload it's not impossible. Just let your mentor know from the first call what your goal is and you hope that he/she is able to keep up with your pace. :)
  • Options
    The right math is usually sad math. Surprised they dropped C176 to 4 units from 6, and surprised they raised the Capstone to 5.

Like I said, C176 and C484 will piggyback off of one another, and if you don't get out of C169 it shouldn't be a big deal for you. It seems like a lot of units to complete, but given the workload it's not impossible. Just let your mentor know from the first call what your goal is and you hope that he/she is able to keep up with your pace. :)

Do you think this is do-able in one term? Everyone is different, I understand. But you have first hand experience so I'd appreciate your opinion. The certification classes are just me taking an exam and passing, right?
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Do you think this is do-able in one term? Everyone is different, I understand. But you have first hand experience so I'd appreciate your opinion. The certification classes are just me taking an exam and passing, right?

You must have a lot of experience if you plan on knocking out all those certs in addition to the technical writing and capstone project in a span of six months!
  • Options
    LordSevink wrote: »
    You must have a lot of experience if you plan on knocking out all those certs in addition to the technical writing and capstone project in a span of six months!

I don't, which is why I'm asking if it's do-able :/ but I do have 80/84 CUs going into this, which I'm sure is more than most people that enter this program. So I've definitely been around the knowledge block a bit.

I'm fine with taking two terms. I'm no super studyer or anything. I'm just really anxious about trying to enter the networking world again and think I'll be able to once I have a BS (plus I'll have 6-12 months more experience in the field). I know I can do the CCNA Sec, Sec+, and three project classes + the database class in six months. Then the next semester would just be databases, linux+, tech writing and capstone. It would be a lot less of a burden to break it up like that for sure. I've seen someone here take 10 classes, but he was probably a genius. I don't think I could do it unless I went absolutely ham.
  • Options
    If you question whether it's doable or not, check this guy out. He went in with 3 CUs TOTAL and finished the whole program in less than a year. He was like a tank, his enrolled/completed course screenshots look insane...

The link is being a dickhole. add "forums/jobs-degrees/94513-wgu-bs-software-starting-nov-1st-2013-a.html" to the end of techexams.net.

It's all a matter of mindset. Sure, not everyone has the time commitment to put into it like this guy, but people who say it can't be done are simply saying they aren't willing to try.
  • Options
    CaiyenneCaiyenne Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hurricane,

I also have 11 classes to complete and similar to your evaluation, they did not list Principles of Management. It is however, listed on the Course Description table that was sent with my Letter of Acceptance. You'll be able to confirm your classes when you receive it.

I have to complete the following (Software Emphasis):

C480 (4) Networks
    C170 (4) Data Management - Applications
    C178 (4) Network and Security - Applications
    C483 (4) Principles of Management
    C176 (4) Business of IT - Project Management
    C484 (3) Organizational Behavior and Leadership
    C298 (6) Web Programming
    C482 (6) Software I
    C195 (6) Software II - Advanced Java Concepts
    C435 (3) Technical Writing
    C436 (4) IT Capstone Written Project

Hoping to complete this in two terms. Working full-time I don't think I can get all this into one term. The schedule they sent me has it spread out into four terms. There are people on these forums that have been able to move very quickly through the program (like the link above) so it is possible to do in six months if you have the time to dedicate and the inclination!
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    If you question whether it's doable or not, check this guy out. He went in with 3 CUs TOTAL and finished the whole program in less than a year. He was like a tank, his enrolled/completed course screenshots look insane...

The link is being a dickhole. add "forums/jobs-degrees/94513-wgu-bs-software-starting-nov-1st-2013-a.html" to the end of techexams.net.

It's all a matter of mindset. Sure, not everyone has the time commitment to put into it like this guy, but people who say it can't be done are simply saying they aren't willing to try.

Interesting.

Is it typical for people to take the pre-assessments cold, pass, then move on to the final assessment? These courses seem like nothing to him and certainly not challenging like you'd expect college-level courses to be.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    The link is http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/94513-wgu-bs-software-starting-nov-1st-2013-a.html :)

The courses were not 'nothing,' not even close. I did spend 8-16 hours a day studying, asides from the 1.5 months I took off from January through mid-February. I dunno how typical it is, but if you already know the material, why not test out of the class?

I would type more but techexams has an awful bug that makes text entry very annoying under Windows 8.1/IE. Probably a rogue script or something - the keyboard misses every 8th character or so unless I type very slowly. Sorry.
  • Options
    gex598gex598 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well WGU is trying to stick it to me. Was told my degree program would change 3/12, was on the phone with my mentor just now wanting to pull in courses to this term to avoid problems with the new course. Moved the courses into the term updated my degree program and my mentor told me he had an 'emergency' phone call. He calls back tells me hes sorry but my degree program already changed. BS it was right there I refresh it and its the new plan. They took out one course and added three. I explained that it was unacceptable. My mentor is going to 'work on it'. As it stands now for the BS in information security I will finish with 136cu but only need 120cu's, nice huh. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
  • Options
    gex598 wrote: »
    Well WGU is trying to stick it to me. Was told my degree program would change 3/12, was on the phone with my mentor just now wanting to pull in courses to this term to avoid problems with the new course. Moved the courses into the term updated my degree program and my mentor told me he had an 'emergency' phone call. He calls back tells me hes sorry but my degree program already changed. BS it was right there I refresh it and its the new plan. They took out one course and added three. I explained that it was unacceptable. My mentor is going to 'work on it'. As it stands now for the BS in information security I will finish with 136cu but only need 120cu's, nice huh. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

What did they add in and what did they take out? I would be pissed.

Edit: saw your old post
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @gex598 I can't say I had the exact same situation but I was in a middle of a program change when my first month began. I transferred in a boatload of credits and with all of the changes my degree plan I ended up finishing with 156 CUs for the BSIT but it was still 122 CU's. Just give it a few days for your Mentor to work it out they have the ability to make the appropriate adjustments.
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□

I just received the updated BSIT Security program. For some reason a few of my classes weren't counted correctly and my INC1 / Integrated Science class has "doubled over". Going to speak with my mentor later this week to see whats going on.
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□

Try to speak to a manager or someone in upper management. Explain to them that you signed on for and agreed to a program with 120 total CU's, not 136 CU's. Are there any classes that you have already completed that were subsequently removed from the program and no longer count? If so, they need to give you credit for those CU's somehow. Let us know the outcome of this situation.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Thanks for the proper link, ratbuddy, my URL tag kept getting a lot of gibberish being thrown into it. :)

I agree, why waste your time reinventing a wheel you already have? Pass the pre-assessment and click "Request Approval" ASAP, even if you need to brush up on a couple of areas. Better to have it ready to schedule than to wait until you are comfortable then request approval (a day, maybe two depending on mentor workload) and schedule (another three days minimum). Since there's no GPA to be worry about, I personally am not so concerned with the passing score as long as it's passing, but that's just me. Strive to finish, not to finish perfectly.

When I did my (first) program change last year, it took a couple of weeks for everything to even out as far as the course depictions in my degree plan. My mentor said there was such a mass exodus from the old program that it was taking more time than anticipated to get everyone fully switched over. Now that it appears it's a mandatory change, it's likely that there will be some delays in everything getting "back to normal".
  • Options
    sudo45sudo45 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello all,

Quick question that some of you may know the answer to. My Job is sending me for some certification training and will probably send me on some more as time progresses. After enrollment I was told I wasn't able to transfer anymore credits. If I take a certification on my employer's dime and not use the WGU voucher, will that cause any issues? I would assume it wouldn't count as credit but it would satisfy the objective exam. I would only have to complete whatever other course work was required.
  • Options
    floridafunfloridafun Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    He I am new here. This thread is great.
    I am planning on starting the BS IT Software program on July 1st( waiting till then so I can get Pell grants since it will be new FAFSA year) I have 66 college credits already. WGU has received all my transcripts already so I am just waiting to see what and how many will transfer in. My overall goal is to finish the degree in 2-3 terms. Hopefully most of my GE credits will transfer in so I wont need to bother with them. I will be taking the MTA 98 363 in a few weeks as my IT cert transfer requirement since I didnt get my AA.
    So my question is, I saw the list of certs that you get by the time you complete the degree. Can anyone tell me specifically what courses Introduction to IT,IT Foundations, etc etc align with each cert? Since I haven't started I don't know specific course numbers at all yet.
    • Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer
    • Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 7 Programmer
    • CompTIA A+
    • CompTIA Network+
    • CompTIA Security+
    • CIW Database Design Specialist
    • CIW JavaScript Specialist
    If anyone could help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it. I am very excited to get started. I am planning on studying for some of the basic certs over the next few months so I can hopefully knock out the certs as soon as I am enrolled.
  • Options
    WGU said they'd try to do my eval dispute this week so I can start April 1. Really do not want to start in May! But I won't take Java again, I'd rather start in May and just study for the Security+ and finish studying for the CCNA Security in the mean time so I can take it right away.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    Would anyone know if the exams taken for the MCSA matter for Transfer Credit? I'm thinking of doing 70-410 70-411 and 70-462 to get my MCSA Server 2012 and waive the database classes as well