Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    ElegyxElegyx Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    earonw49 wrote: »
    If you already have the cert (and transfered it) then yes, it clears the requirements and you knock out two classes. If you don't have the cert, you still have to take the classes associated with the A+ and the exams for the final. WGU won't just hand you a cert in exchange for college credits.

Thanks. Refer to post #2 in xmalachis thread though..

Maybe I'm misinterpreting his comment wrong though :)
  • Options
    CaiyenneCaiyenne Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello all,

I'm scheduled to begin the BSIT Software Emphasis program April 1st. I recently earned my AA in Information Technology from a community college. According to the transcript evaluation results, I have 72 CUs met. This includes:

C100, C132, C164, C168, C169, C172, C173, C175, C179, C182, C255, C277, C278, C376, C393, C394, C451, C455, C456, C457, and C459

I do not have an A+ cert but it looks like this requirement was met due to the classes I completed for my AA Degree.

Here is what it says on the evaluation:

C393 - IT Foundations - Met - One Course in Computer Hardware or the following Certification: CompTIA A+ C393 and C394 must transfer in together.
    C394 - IT Applications - Met - One course in Computer Operating Systems or the following Certification: CompTIA A+ C393 and C394 must transfer in together.

So I'm guessing I won't have to get this cert at all to complete my program but I'm wondering if they will pay for it if I wanted to get it anyway. How important is this cert? I'm interested in becoming a software developer.
  • Options
    Caiyenne wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm scheduled to begin the BSIT Software Emphasis program April 1st. I recently earned my AA in Information Technology from a community college. According to the transcript evaluation results, I have 72 CUs met. This includes:

C100, C132, C164, C168, C169, C172, C173, C175, C179, C182, C255, C277, C278, C376, C393, C394, C451, C455, C456, C457, and C459

I do not have an A+ cert but it looks like this requirement was met due to the classes I completed for my AA Degree.

Here is what it says on the evaluation:

C393 - IT Foundations - Met - One Course in Computer Hardware or the following Certification: CompTIA A+ C393 and C394 must transfer in together.
    C394 - IT Applications - Met - One course in Computer Operating Systems or the following Certification: CompTIA A+ C393 and C394 must transfer in together.

So I'm guessing I won't have to get this cert at all to complete my program but I'm wondering if they will pay for it if I wanted to get it anyway. How important is this cert? I'm interested in becoming a software developer.

I was able to meet those 2 classes as well from my AS in IT. That's the question I was wondering above. If I had to take a guess and I'll ask WGU this week, but if those 2 classes are met then I'm guessing you could just take the test to get the A+ without having to take the classes.
  • Options
    CurchelCurchel Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was supposed to start the BS in Software Development today but my degree plan says "internal error". I reported it to IT Help desk as soon as they opened and it's still not fixed. What a terrible beginning.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry to hear that. I would also recommend calling Student Services and ask for the issue to be escalated to a supervisor. Stay on top of them, hopefully it won't take any longer than 24 hours to resolve.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Curchel wrote: »
    I was supposed to start the BS in Software Development today but my degree plan says "internal error". I reported it to IT Help desk as soon as they opened and it's still not fixed. What a terrible beginning.

It appears that there is something going on with the WGU servers. I am also having a few issues as well. I guess a lot of students started today.
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    WGU got my final transcript Saturday and I filled out the FAFSA again yesterday. Waiting time.
  • Options
    gex598gex598 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Talked to my mentor tonight and was told my program BS IT Security is being changed. Even though he has the crossover list he would not share it with me. Comparing the 'new' program to the one I'm enrolled in I can see 2-3 courses they are going to try and add; scripting and programming, data management and IT application. I'm pretty sure data management crosses to database 1 ie the CIW cert. I know its worthless but if I have to learn the material I'd rather take the cert test plus the last CIW test I took was soooo easy. Anyone else concerned about WGU adding courses?
  • Options
    gex598 wrote: »
    Talked to my mentor tonight and was told my program BS IT Security is being changed. Even though he has the crossover list he would not share it with me. Comparing the 'new' program to the one I'm enrolled in I can see 2-3 courses they are going to try and add; scripting and programming, data management and IT application. I'm pretty sure data management crosses to database 1 ie the CIW cert. I know its worthless but if I have to learn the material I'd rather take the cert test plus the last CIW test I took was soooo easy. Anyone else concerned about WGU adding courses?

I'm hoping to start the BS in IT Security program April 1st so I'll let you know what my requirements are. Having the Linux+ in there just bugs me. They should replace that with an actual Security certification that we can use in the field, but what do I know right? If they do change anything about it, I hope they add more Security courses/certs.
  • Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□

1. Tell your mentor to quit being a dick and let you know what's going on. He's there to help you plan and get to graduation, not act like he's on a power trip by withholding information that you're paying for. Remind him students pay his salary. My mentor has let me know over a month in advance when changes come up and how they will affect me.

2. There is a recent development that will be a time saver on the Scripting and Programming (C173 is the Foundations (Python), and C169 is the Application (Java)). C169 will satisfy C173, so if you don't think you need or don't want to take C173 skip it and go on to C169 (my mentor volunteered this info). If your mentor gives you any crap over it, I'd consider requesting new mentor...happens all the time, don't let hurting his feelings get in the way of you knocking your classes out.

C. The CIW certs are out, as are the MTA exams because they are essentially less than worthless, so it will probably be a WGU-developed database exam. This is a good thing.

4. Hodor.
  • Options

Well you are already enrolled right? So they can't change it unless you agree?
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Elegyx wrote: »
    I'm hoping to start the BS in IT Security program April 1st so I'll let you know what my requirements are. Having the Linux+ in there just bugs me. They should replace that with an actual Security certification that we can use in the field, but what do I know right? If they do change anything about it, I hope they add more Security courses/certs.

Knowing Linux is important in security, you'll be happy you learned some of it if you work in the field.
  • Options
    Elegyx wrote: »

I'm sort of the same way, been doing this for about 15 years and the only time I used anything Linux related was at Walmart for some of their older store systems. As a slight defense for it though, check out Kali Linux...pretty definitive package for penetration and vulnerability testing.
  • Options
    gex598gex598 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been told that its being changed and I cannot stay with the old program. I already have C169 completed. I'm ok with changes as long as its not adding classes. Its been explained to me that the credits on each course have been changed so I'm worried they are trying to sneak in another or class or two. I'm just shy of 90 credits now and should be at over 100 when my term is done.

I agree the Linux + cert is a great security asset!
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GSXR750K2 wrote: »
    I'm sort of the same way, been doing this for about 15 years and the only time I used anything Linux related was at Walmart for some of their older store systems. As a slight defense for it though, check out Kali Linux...pretty definitive package for penetration and vulnerability testing.

Just depends on your environment, but I work in security now and in my first month on the job I was asked to help navigate around an old linux box for gathering forensics info, demo a few tools in linux VMs and a few other quick linux things. This is in a 99% windows shop too, it's good material to know.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Linux/Unix knowledge is very valuable. I believe you also receive the LPIC-1 if you pass the Linux+.
  • Options
    I guess I'll find out what has changed in the Security program when I speak with my mentor the first time in a couple of weeks. I'm pumped to start school again!
  • Options
    Meh, I was under the impression that if something changed I would get the choice to switch if I wanted. Haven't gotten evaluation done yet. Hopeful for next week.
  • Options
    TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When they changed the Security curriculum before, I had the choice if I wanted to change. If you are already in the program you should be locked into it as is.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • Options
    CaiyenneCaiyenne Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Seems there are conflicting stories on whether or not you will be forced to change to the new program. I was told by the admissions counselor that everyone was being changed and this is why it took a while for my evaluation to be completed.
  • Options
    Caiyenne wrote: »
    Seems there are conflicting stories on whether or not you will be forced to change to the new program. I was told by the admissions counselor that everyone was being changed and this is why it took a while for my evaluation to be completed.

That's what I got from my mentor also. A good part of it revolves around those certs they are getting away from, so I'm sure there's some cooperation issues with those vendors. All that affected me luckily was DJV1 changing to C173/C169 (which my mentor said there was a request that could be made to keep DJV1, but it's not a guarantee). As I've been preaching, you can skip C173 as C169 will satisfy it.

Took the pre-assessment tonight for C169 and score 76% cold score (I've messed with C# in the past, since it's a child of Java a lot carries over), cutoff is 67%. Also started on the performance assessment while I had some down time at work today. My mentor said when I pass C169 she'll have to enter something to get DJV1 removed from my program...at the moment I'm showing 127 units instead of the updated 123 because of it.
  • Options
    Not eligible for student grants I've been told. That sucks......
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Not eligible for student grants I've been told. That sucks......

No grants at all?

This is all out-of-pocket for me. There's a big zero under grants/scholarships on the FA page on my student portal, which I kind of expected after I reported my income and savings.
  • Options
    LordSevink wrote: »
    No grants at all?

This is all out-of-pocket for me. There's a big zero under grants/scholarships on the FA page on my student portal, which I kind of expected after I reported my income and savings.

Yeah, zero. It's weird because it's going off of 2013 financial info, a year where I made very little as a part time box picker-upper while going to school. Parents don't make much either. I used to receive financial aid a couple years ago in community college. Wonder what has changed? Guess I have to take out a loan now. Was hoping to get half covered by a grant and pay out of pocket for the other half.
  • Options
    Yeah, zero. It's weird because it's going off of 2013 financial info, a year where I made very little as a part time box picker-upper while going to school. Parents don't make much either. I used to receive financial aid a couple years ago in community college. Wonder what has changed? Guess I have to take out a loan now. Was hoping to get half covered by a grant and pay out of pocket for the other half.

Waiting to see if I get any grants or scholarships as well. I even filled out some random scholarships just for the heck of it since there's only like 2 that I qualified for through WGU.
  • Options
    It's whatever. It's going to be a $6000 investment that I anticipate will pay off immediately so it's worthwhile. Just annoying. If I was $$bags I wouldn't be going back to school...
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    I'm thinking of enrolling into WGU but somewhere around August. I think I can do 4 StraighterLine courses by then, and it seems it would give you 500$/term, has anyone else done this? That CompTIA scholarship back then looked nice, too bad it's gone now
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @nster I got the discount with the straighterline courses I transferred in about 7 classes. Looks like they raised the discount I got only $200 at the time. If memory serves me right you can split the payments within the 6 months. There is also financial aid available for those who qualify of course.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    @nster I got the discount with the straighterline courses I transferred in about 7 classes. Looks like they raised the discount I got only $200 at the time. If memory serves me right you can split the payments within the 6 months. There is also financial aid available for those who qualify of course.

oh you are right, it is a one 200$ "refund" for 4 classes or more and eligible to the scholarship as well. Splitting the payments may very well help me, thanks for the tip
  • Options
    TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Anyone know if CompTIA Cloud+ is a replacement for CompTIA DHTI+ or Convergence+ which are no longer available? This would satisfy C480 transfer requirement if so.