Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    keitarokeitaro Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Curchel wrote: »
    Has anyone tried WGU's BS in Software Development? How is it

I started it last year. Thus far, I have yet to take any of the actual programming classes. Had to complete an Intro to IT class that my A+ didn't waive, Web Design class + lab, database classes + lab, and project plus classes.

One thing I wish I had done prior to signing up would be to get a database cert to waive the database classes as they are an absolute chore.
  • Options
    CurchelCurchel Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What is the Into to IT class like? Lots of papers or an objective test?
  • Options
    beatfreakerbeatfreaker Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For what its worth, I start BS-Sec on Feb 1st but still have the old courses. I was told if I waited until March, I could take the new courses however I decided not to delay.

Chadius wrote: »
    I'm sure someone has said something about this topic, but I just got informed this week. The BSIT-Security degree program has changed.
    From what I can tell, these classes have changed or been replaced:

IT Fundamentals is now Intro to IT
    Physics and Physics Lab are now one class
    Biology and Lab are now Integrated Natural Science
    Literature, Arts, and the Humanities is now Intro to Humanities
    Geography is Intro to Geography
    Window OS fundamentals is gone
    Security is either gone or changed to Network and Security Applications

Here are classes I am not sure if they are changed versions or additions:

Data Management- Foundations
    Data Management- Applications
    Scripting and Programming- Foundations
    Scripting and Programming- Applications
    Business of IT- Project Management
    Business of IT- Applications

Off my old program doc I noticed these programs are gone:

Finite Mathematics
    Software Development Fundamentals
    Database 1
    Application of Effective Communication
    Web Technologies

It would be nice if they would just say which were deleted and which programs were replaced or updated.

Oh and the cut off score has dropped on some assessments. I can't remember them all, but the A+ went from 95% to 85% to get the voucher.

Reasoning and Problem Solving is now Critical Thinking and Logic
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For what its worth, I start BS-Sec on Feb 1st but still have the old courses. I was told if I waited until March, I could take the new courses however I decided not to delay.

I would also like to add that my Mentor told me that those who are in the current program will have the option to switch to the new program that will go into affect March 1st
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey guys,

I received my transcript evaluation last night and I was reviewing it. I hadn't submitted my certifications yet because I was awaiting notice of endorsement for the CISSP. Should I just go through the appeal process to submit them to get credit for the courses or should I submit them through the email address they gave me initially? From what I can tell, the courses that I will be required to take are:

C100
    C176
    C179
    C376
    C246
    C247
    C182
    C175
    C173
    C169
    C170
    C484

How challenging do you think this would be to complete in one term? I'm quite confident that a minor review would be required to knock out C246 & C247 as I've held the CCNA and CCNA:S before. If only I hadn't let them lapse, I just didn't use my Cisco certs on a day to day basis to justify keeping up with them :-/

I do have a month so I might try to start looking at quick wins. (i.e. Project+ or maybe even CCNA)
  • Options
    BiggBakeBiggBake Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I start Feb 1st also (BSIT-NA). Here is what my mentor told me about the changes. The new degree plans for IT-Sec and IT-NA take affect Mar 1st. If you start Feb 1st, you will be rolled into the new degree plans in March. There will be no more CIW or Microsoft certs offered. You are still required to do the course work and have "In-House" exams. Bottom line, if you want the cert you have to pay for the vouchers now. My mentor said the IT leadership is having a big meeting the week of Feb. 2nd to discuss the changes and finalize things. This is JMTC for what it's worth. Things could be different pending the outcome of the meeting.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BiggBake wrote: »
    I start Feb 1st also (BSIT-NA). Here is what my mentor told me about the changes. The new degree plans for IT-Sec and IT-NA take affect Mar 1st. If you start Feb 1st, you will be rolled into the new degree plans in March. There will be no more CIW or Microsoft certs offered. You are still required to do the course work and have "In-House" exams. Bottom line, if you want the cert you have to pay for the vouchers now. My mentor said the IT leadership is having a big meeting the week of Feb. 2nd to discuss the changes and finalize things. This is JMTC for what it's worth. Things could be different pending the outcome of the meeting.

Feb 2 is the start of graduation week or what ever. My mentor told me today that ALL mentors, course and student, will be in Orlando for the event and have all day meetings for their departments for the entire week. All i know is that i want my certs, more push to get **** done sooner than later.
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    xmalachi wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I received my transcript evaluation last night and I was reviewing it. I hadn't submitted my certifications yet because I was awaiting notice of endorsement for the CISSP. Should I just go through the appeal process to submit them to get credit for the courses or should I submit them through the email address they gave me initially? From what I can tell, the courses that I will be required to take are:

C100
    C176
    C179
    C376
    C246
    C247
    C182
    C175
    C173
    C169
    C170
    C484

How challenging do you think this would be to complete in one term? I'm quite confident that a minor review would be required to knock out C246 & C247 as I've held the CCNA and CCNA:S before. If only I hadn't let them lapse, I just didn't use my Cisco certs on a day to day basis to justify keeping up with them :-/

I do have a month so I might try to start looking at quick wins. (i.e. Project+ or maybe even CCNA)

Well, don't worry so much about the CISSP, the Sec+ knocks out the same course as a CISSP would (assuming, your Sec+ is new enough).

As for quick wins, I'd consider the ProctorU Project+ option as a quick potential win at a fair price $99 (http://www.comptiastore.com/ First banner). I bought the sybex project+ book and am striving towards the same quick victory. I took the Server+ tonight to test out the proctorU idea, and it was fine (Although it took them an hour to actually get the webcam chat working...), knocked out DHV1 and it's another cert to add to the resume :D

I'm also considering going for the Linux+ and CCENT/CCNA(Long shot on the CCNA with these others ahead in the Queue) before I start in March.

my current course list:
    CLC1 3CU
    CJC1 3CU
    EUP1 1CU
    EUC1 2CU
    BVC1 3CU
    C278 4CU
    IWC1 2CU
    IWT1 2CU
    C220 (Linux+) 3CU
    C221 (Linux+) 3CU
    C246 (CCENT) 6CU
    C247 (CCNA) 6CU
    BNC1 3CU
    MGC1 4CU
    C299 6CU
    WFV1 3CU
    C132 3CU
    INC1 4CU
    DJV1 4CU
    CUV1 4CU
    C277 4CU
    CJV1 4CU
    TPV1 (Project+) 6CU

32 CUs transferred/completed
    83 CUs to complete, I want to knock out another 18-24 before I start in March :D then i want to finish it in 6-9 Months.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice sir! Good to know that I don't have to stress about the CISSP coming through in time. I started in on the Sybex Project+ book yesterday. At 300 pages, I should be able to cruise through it. The concepts are definitely foreign to me. I saw very few familiar terms but I'm pretty interested in the subject matter at a high level.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I applied and have not heard back. Really just kicking tires at this point. Have 2 degrees and the certs listed under my name (plus CCNA security soon).

My question is, when do I get to the point where I send transcripts and how many classes transferred in for you typically? I have a liberal arts degree and a computer systems technology degree and a bunch of certs. So I'm hoping most of the classes for the IT major get waived. If I could get it down to 10-12 classes I'd be more prone to do this. IT classes I've taken: HTML, Java, Javascript, Visual Basic, Networking, Advanced Networking, Electrical Engineering 1 & 2, Building and Upgrading computers 1 & 2 (second class was based on server 08/12), intro to computers, and probably missing some. Have taken tons of math, stats, calculus, etc. Chemistry 1 & 2, english 1 & 2, physics, psychology, others. Just looking at the course outline I cannot tell what will transfer in. So just looking for someone with similiar experience in terms of AA & AAS degrees and certs.
  • Options
    If it is within the last 5 years that you earned the degree, you can get credit for some of the IT courses. I have an AAS and that waived a lot of the Gen Ed. type of courses. Obviously, YMMV based on the classes you've taken. I haven't gotten back my updated outline but I estimate that I'll be in the range of 12 classes when it's all said and done. I will report back when I receive the updated evaluation.
  • Options
    xmalachi wrote: »
    If it is within the last 5 years that you earned the degree, you can get credit for some of the IT courses. I have an AAS and that waived a lot of the Gen Ed. type of courses. Obviously, YMMV based on the classes you've taken. I haven't gotten back my updated outline but I estimate that I'll be in the range of 12 classes when it's all said and done. I will report back when I receive the updated evaluation.

Okay cool. I'm having a really difficult time even applying. I applied since the fee was waived but keep getting e-mails telling me to apply now. So I try to apply and it says an e-mail is already associated with an application (makes sense to me) so I go to forgot password, and says e-mail not found basically. Getting a really bad impression of this school already unfortunately. But I have so many certs and two 2 year degrees, it should be an easy process to finish it out and get a bachelor's. I went to a 4 year school in the middle of those 2 year schools for a different major and it did not work out. Really derailed my path.
  • Options
    I had issues with my account as well. They resolved them pretty quickly with a call to their service desk. I think the positive impressions far outweigh the negatives in this thread so I wouldn't be concerned.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pick up the phone and call the school.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    I got on the chat with them since I am at work. They are having someone call me later. I'm hoping for the best. If it can be just 30 CUs then I can get it done fast. I didn't think I was ever going to get a Bachelor's (and don't think I will learn much) but I don't feel like waiting on experience to come to me before I can move up. I'm at a weird point anywhere since I'll have 2 CCNA's and can't seem to get a Jr. Network Engineering job with those + 1 year desktop support experience and a couple associate's degrees. Do not feel comfortable getting the CCNP yet either and really do not feel like getting the MCSA anymore. So I guess I'm kind of out of options.

What is going to be best for me?

1) Continue on with my AA in Liberal Arts & Sciences + AAS Computer Systems Technolgy, CCNA R&S + CCNA Security, A+, Net+, MCP and 1 year experience and either stay another year where I am and work towards other certifications (CCNP, VCP, MCSA, etc)

or

2) Take those 2 degrees and get a BA in IT from WGU, plus all the current certifications I have, and apply for Network Engineer jobs after I finish.

Which one am I likely to have more success with? Both short-term and long-term. Please help from personal experience.
  • Options
    To me, it's hard to say which one is going to give you more success. Experience and validation of that experience (certification) is incredibly valuable in the IT field. A degree isn't going to instantly turn you into a Network Engineer. With that said, I think that degrees are important and I know from personal experience how easy it is to put off getting one. I think it's worth making serious consideration to knocking out your degree especially if you can do it quickly. Aside from that, stay in your current role and get more experience. Try to get with the guys running the routers and switches and see if they'll let you do basic tasks or walk you through tasks they are working on.
  • Options
    itangelitangel Member Posts: 111
    I am plan on starting WGU here soon. I provided my application yesterday so hope that I can get in but very limited to funding due to the fact that Devry University drain my Financial aid and only running of free money. =/ Anyways, I am going after my BS in Security with WGU since they also have the CCNA stuff there. I currently hold my AAS on Network System Administrator from Devry University and stuck with 10 classes away from my BS. =( So my question is;

1. Should I wait until the new effects hit for March to start WGU?
    2. Should I consider starting my BS path with WGU instead of knocking down my final 10 classes from Devry? I think total cost would be around 26k for 10 classes with them at $609 credit hour. Not sure if WGU run that way or what. Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Network Administrator
    :

Looking forward in 2017: CCENT
  • Options
    mxp0w3r25mxp0w3r25 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone, My name is Anthony, can go by Tony. Just applied to WGU for the BSIT: Network Admin Degree. I plan on starting in the fall and I have submitted all my certifications, just waiting on word from admissions to see what classes they took off. From the looks of it I might be able to come in with 10 classes taken off, I'm hoping the the Intro to IT will be taken off as well since I have been working in the field for 9 years now and have CCNA, MCSA2012/2008, MCTS WIN 7, A+, Net +, and Sec+. I'm sure if I have to take that class I could probably knock it out in no time.

Anyone know if they take the two OS classes off for the MCTS WIN 7 certification, from what I'm seeing if you have MCSA 2003 or WIN 8 cert then you won't have to take the class, well I have MCSA 2012 which is a higher and newer cert then MCSA 2003 so that should qualify right?

Anyways thanks for any feed back and looks forward to speaking with some of you.
  • Options
    I actually changed my mind. I'm going to enroll in the IT: Security degree since it takes my CCNAs. Already have the A+ and Net+ and could easily get the Security+ too. At worst it looks like 14 classes should be left, but based on descriptions and what I've done it seems like somewhere around 10 is more likely.

Say for example the UNIX OS class gets transferred in. Can I just take the Linux + and finish that class? Or what? How's that work exactly?
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Was planning on doing the labsim N+ assessment test at WGU today and it appears the student portal has been down for a good hour, is it down for anyone else? Is this a common thing?

Another thing is labsim more true to the real cert test then exam cram? They teach a few troubleshooting steps differently, for example labsim shows network troubleshooting starting from the furthest point (ping destination), exam cram from the nearest point (ping localhost). Labsim focuses a lot more on subnetting, not supernetting, and overall seems more difficult then exam cram tests. I can't believe they require 95% to take the real test but it's open book isn't it?

From A+ experience the exam cram was spot on. This is my first experience with labsim and I generally like it and think I'm learning more than exam cram.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Can I have all my transcripts sent to me and then mail them together to WGU? I've requested one transcript already. They would say "issues to students", is that okay? And how do I go about getting my certifications ready?
  • Options
    TR4V1STYTR4V1STY Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can I have all my transcripts sent to me and then mail them together to WGU? I've requested one transcript already. They would say "issues to students", is that okay? And how do I go about getting my certifications ready?

I just started applying. My enrollment counselor mentioned that if I had them sent to my house first, it may not be 'official'.

She said that they preferred if you sent it directly to them:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hard copies should be sent to:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Western Governors University[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ATTN: Transcripts Department[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4001 South 700 East, Suite 700[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Salt Lake City, UT 84107[/FONT]
  • Options
    TR4V1STY wrote: »
    I just started applying. My enrollment counselor mentioned that if I had them sent to my house first, it may not be 'official'.

She said that they preferred if you sent it directly to them:

Hard copies should be sent to:
    Western Governors University
    ATTN: Transcripts Department
    4001 South 700 East, Suite 700
    Salt Lake City, UT 84107

Thanks. I actually called since I needed to change my program and was told that. I already made a transcript request, going to try and see if they can just send it straight there.
  • Options
    I called and got my login stuff taken care of today. Changed my major to IT Security. Sent my certifications. Got the transcripts sent from 1 of my schools. Tomorrow I'll mail one of the others and Wednesday I'm going to the 3rd school in-person to drop the form off. Filled out the FAFSA today too. Productive day.
  • Options
    Can't believe I'm going back to school. Thought I'd never do that. Really think it's going to be worth it though. Will obtain the Linux+, Sec+, and Project+ in the process + a year of job experience since it'll take at least a year to finish. Really think I'm going to be able to go from this desktop support/jr. systems engineer position to something higher after I finish. Think it'll be easier and I've always hated the fact that I have to tell people I have two Associate's and not a Bachelor's.
  • Options
    xinyxiny Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't remember their being a degree in BS: Software Development just in Software. Is anyone enrolled in the BS: Software Development program that can give some feed back? I finished my BS:InfoSec and now I'm interested in this degree.
    "Hacking is like sex. You get in, you get out, and hope that you didn't leave something that can be traced back to you."
  • Options
    This was asked and mentioned earlier in this thread but with conflicting reports.

I am aiming to star April 1st and have sent certs/transcripts in for evaluation. However I am looking to take the CCNA: Security this month. Would I be able to send that in? Or should I just wait and take it after I start WGU? I don't really need 7 weeks of studying for it though. Would rather take it this month and then be able to send it in.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This was asked and mentioned earlier in this thread but with conflicting reports.

I am aiming to star April 1st and have sent certs/transcripts in for evaluation. However I am looking to take the CCNA: Security this month. Would I be able to send that in? Or should I just wait and take it after I start WGU? I don't really need 7 weeks of studying for it though. Would rather take it this month and then be able to send it in.

If you didn't pay for the voucher or don't need it this second, I'd just wait. You don't have to study for 7 weeks. You can literally just take the practice exam, get approved for the cert, and then have them pay money for the voucher. Just let your mentor know you were studying beforehand and there should not be any issue, especially with you already having the CCNA: R&S.
  • Options
    markulous wrote: »
    If you didn't pay for the voucher or don't need it this second, I'd just wait. You don't have to study for 7 weeks. You can literally just take the practice exam, get approved for the cert, and then have them pay money for the voucher. Just let your mentor know you were studying beforehand and there should not be any issue, especially with you already having the CCNA: R&S.

Okay. I remember you saying not to worry about the CCNA Security by the way. You were right about it pretty much. Ends up not being a waste though.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Okay. I remember you saying not to worry about the CCNA Security by the way. You were right about it pretty much. Ends up not being a waste though.

Yeah, I mean it's not a bad cert by any means, but I don't see much ROI on it by itself, nor do I see a ton of additional info from it. If someone was going to go through the whole Cisco Security path then it's a different story. That was just my take though.