Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't believe so. Your best bet is to speak with an enrollment counselor and ask him/her to look into it for you.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm curious if anyone knows whether or not they accept applicants from other countries? I have some college credits from Kingwood College in TX, and lived in the states for a year on a student Visa, but am a Canadian citizen, I was curious if I could still apply and get a degree since it's all online, anyways. Does anyone know? Furthermore, does anyone know if it's a recognized degree up here, since it's from an accredited university I believe it would, but I'd love to know if any other Canadians have experience with it.

Final question, if they accepted me, and I went through the course, would I be charged a higher tuition due to the fact that I'm Canadian (International student)?

H3||scr3am
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    International Students

Thank you for your interest in WGU. At the present time, WGU is only accepting applications from individuals living in the U.S., Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, as well as from U.S. military personnel and their families at overseas installations. WGU is also now accepting applications from Canadian residents in certain select geographic areas. (An Enrollment Counselor has more information about which areas are eligible to submit applications.)
    Unfortunately, we have discovered that we cannot always guarantee that the educational experience for students living outside the United States will meet our high standards for quality and convenience. It is our expectation that these issues will be resolved in future years. We wish you well in your educational pursuits and regret that we cannot help you at this time.

Their website says they accept applicants from some part of Canada. YOou should get in touch with them.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    crboonecrboone Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Could someone post the Course Codes (course numbers) for the following:

Data Structures
    Data Management For Programmers
    Software Engineering
    Client-Server Application Development
    Mobile Application Development
    Software Development Capstone

The classes above were not included in the Transfer Eval, which lists the course numbers for all of the other classes in the track, and I couldn't find them in the general course catalog.

I'm researching each course online to see what kind of comments/experiences students have had & what resources are available for them. So far there has been a good amount of helpful information for the ones that I've found matches.

Thanks!
  • Options
    How long did your transfer eval take? I got the email on Thursday morning stating they received my transcript. I am trying to figure out when would my transfer credits would be available to see.
    crboone wrote: »

Data Structures
    Data Management For Programmers
    Software Engineering
    Client-Server Application Development
    Mobile Application Development
    Software Development Capstone

The classes above were not included in the Transfer Eval, which lists the course numbers for all of the other classes in the track, and I couldn't find them in the general course catalog.

I'm researching each course online to see what kind of comments/experiences students have had & what resources are available for them. So far there has been a good amount of helpful information for the ones that I've found matches.

Thanks!
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
  • Options
    TurK-FX wrote: »
    How long did your transfer eval take? I got the email on Thursday morning stating they received my transcript. I am trying to figure out when would my transfer credits would be available to see.

It really was not long at all. Maybe a week or two tops. I did take the Readiness Assessment as they were doing the eval so that may have influenced the time frame.
  • Options
    wahrheitwahrheit Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They don't...I had several that weren't on the list and had to do a resume review to get in.
    WGU - BS in Software Development (9/1/2014 Start)
    Transferred: BVC1,C278,CJC1,IWC1,TBP1,TCP1,TJC1,TJP1
    Completed: BNC1,BVC1,C175,C182,C278,C393,C394,CJC1,EUC1,EUP1,IWC1,ORA1,TBP1,TCP1,TJC1,TJP1
    Left:C164,C169,C170,C172,C173,C176,C178,C179,C188,C189,C191,C192,C193,C195,C196,C199,CLC1,CRV1,EDV1,IWT1,SBT1,TYC1,TYP1
  • Options

Data Structures - C189
    Data Management For Programmers - C192
    Software Engineering - C188
    Client-Server Application Development - C193
    Mobile Application Development - C196
    Software Development Capstone - C199
    Completed: BNC1,BVC1,C175,C182,C278,C393,C394,CJC1,EUC1,EUP1,IWC1,ORA1,TBP1,TCP1,TJC1,TJP1
    Left:C164,C169,C170,C172,C173,C176,C178,C179,C188,C189,C191,C192,C193,C195,C196,C199,CLC1,CRV1,EDV1,IWT1,SBT1,TYC1,TYP1
  • Options
    TurK-FX wrote: »

Ok thanks for the quick response. I was told that since I have 2 prior degree and CCNA, I do not have to take any assessment test. Just awaiting on the transcript eval, so I can have the bill generated and get it paid by my work :)
  • Options
    wahrheit wrote: »
    Data Structures - C189
    Data Management For Programmers - C192
    Software Engineering - C188
    Client-Server Application Development - C193
    Mobile Application Development - C196
    Software Development Capstone - C199

Thanks! Much appreciated.
  • Options
    Apparently, there's not a lot of info/discussion online for quite a few of the Software Dev courses -- I suppose since the track so new. I read a blog the other day where someone dropped out of their WGU program because they just couldn't make it past the Oracle Java Programming cert. Granted, with WGU you can't just get a "D" and move on, or even fail and select another course, as you could in a typical institution. You have to pass every course with a minimum competency of "B". Was or is anyone concerned they might make it 90% through the program just to hit a wall and have to drop out? Seems like a big risk -- and I will have to take a full 29 courses if I pursue the program. I'm able to skip all of the Gen Ed stuff (except English Comp II) with transfer credits, but I'd have to take everything else. Thus, I'm trying to get as much info on each course as I can so I can prepare.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Apparently, there's not a lot of info/discussion online for quite a few of the Software Dev courses -- I suppose since the track so new. I read a blog the other day where someone dropped out of their WGU program because they just couldn't make it past the Oracle Java Programming cert. Granted, with WGU you can't just get a "D" and move on, or even fail and select another course, as you could in a typical institution. You have to pass every course with a minimum competency of "B". Was or is anyone concerned they might make it 90% through the program just to hit a wall and have to drop out? Seems like a big risk -- and I will have to take a full 29 courses if I pursue the program. I'm able to skip all of the Gen Ed stuff (except English Comp II) with transfer credits, but I'd have to take everything else. Thus, I'm trying to get as much info on each course as I can so I can prepare.

Not really. I had done a lot of traditional B&M classes, I had required classes for my major and if they were too hard I wasn't able to just skip them and move on. You're going to find people who hit a wall here and there, they are also going to be the ones that talk the loudest about it. You aren't going for find 40K blogs written by people talking about normal day to day experiences, you're going to find a few of people complaining and a few of people praising, its hard to use that as a even comparison.

If you are really stuck there are tons of resources available through the school and even free online in general. No one should get so stuck on one class that they drop out of the entire school and give up on college.
  • Options
    Excellent response, thanks! That is pretty much what he did -- maybe the guy got burned out or something. His ultimate complaint, though (which I didn't mention), was that he took the cert twice thinking he did well on it. But when he failed, there was no way to know what he got wrong so he couldn't just go back and study his weak areas. He didn't know what his weak areas were.

I am taking a couple of no-credit Java courses now so I can have some leisurely exposure to it prior to the WGU program. With coding, you can't just cram a bunch of terms, you have to know what you're doing.
  • Options
    Yep, some certs will give you a rough breakdown of the areas, I guess some don't, but it still isn't a great reason to give up on college. I had some trouble with the programming classes too (I did the security program) as it was completely new to me and a bit frustrating. I got on the phone with the course mentors, asked friends of mine for explanations, did another java course outside of WGU to pickup different areas, etc, then I finished and I couldn't have been happier as outside of the final capstone paper it was the only thing keeping me from finishing my degree.
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Yep, some certs will give you a rough breakdown of the areas, I guess some don't, but it still isn't a great reason to give up on college. I had some trouble with the programming classes too (I did the security program) as it was completely new to me and a bit frustrating. I got on the phone with the course mentors, asked friends of mine for explanations, did another java course outside of WGU to pickup different areas, etc, then I finished and I couldn't have been happier as outside of the final capstone paper it was the only thing keeping me from finishing my degree.

Cool...that's what it takes to finish. And it gives me the encouragement to dive in. When you took the course outside of WGU, did you go on break?
  • Options
    No, I didn't do full courses for credit or anything What happened was I was having some trouble with a java class and found external resources like courses on youtube, one on lynda.com, etc. For the other classes like the security specific things, Cisco classes and such I did lots of outside research.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Was or is anyone concerned they might make it 90% through the program just to hit a wall and have to drop out?.

It was tempting a couple times! One of the math classes was a ***** for me. I was so frustrated, I ended up taking a couple weeks off and coming back. Did well, passed the exam and moved on. That was around the 85% mark. I'm 2 classes away from graduation now.

Sometimes, it gets to the point where you're ready to give up. You just have to keep going. That wall has a top that you have to climb over and finish. The satisfaction of passing that math class did wonders for me. After that, I slaughtered several classes in a row (accelerated).
  • Options
    I got 58 credits tranferred, disputed for 7 more. If everything goes well, I will need to take 14 classes 57 credits.
  • Options
    Now that I've sent my official transcripts and passed the Readiness Assessment, I'm wondering if I should just try for the 6 certs myself and see if they'll still accept them before starting the program. 29 classes is a lot to take while working full-time (yes, in IT) and having family at home, etc. Hard decision. I seriously doubt I'll knock out 29 classes at any accelerated pace.
  • Options
    Now that I've sent my official transcripts and passed the Readiness Assessment, I'm wondering if I should just try for the 6 certs myself and see if they'll still accept them before starting the program. 29 classes is a lot to take while working full-time (yes, in IT) and having family at home, etc. Hard decision. I seriously doubt I'll knock out 29 classes at any accelerated pace.

Or, you could just study for a few of them, then start school and take the tests right away and let WGU pay for the certification costs?
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Or, you could just study for a few of them, then start school and take the tests right away and let WGU pay for the certification costs?

This.

One thing to note is that WGU analyzes your certifications, experience and transcripts simultaneously once they collect all 3 pieces of information. When you're past that part of the process, you cannot add any more certs, credits or experience.

You mind as well study for those exams, start WGU and have them pay for the vouchers.
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    earonw49 wrote: »
    This.

One thing to note is that WGU analyzes your certifications, experience and transcripts simultaneously once they collect all 3 pieces of information. When you're past that part of the process, you cannot add any more certs, credits or experience.

You mind as well study for those exams, start WGU and have them pay for the vouchers.

I'm not sure that's the case in my situation. I haven't started the first term as yet, so per my enrollment advisor it may be possible yet to have them re-eval my qualifications. And I'm under no pressure to "start right now" from WGU, fortunately. That doesn't mean that your suggestion isn't a good one (study now and have them pay for the vouchers) -- but am I really saving money at $x for the exams out-of-pocket vs $3,000 for tuition? Plus -- if I study for the certs now but then don't take the courses for 2 years (depending on where they fall in the process), I will basically be starting over with those courses.

Maybe the direction of my thinking is overkill -- I was just wondering if it might help to go this route, but maybe not.
  • Options
    earonw49 wrote: »
    This.

This isn't completely correct. If you obtain a certification 'after' they analyze your certifications they will give you credit via "Requirement Satisfied" vs the "Pass" you would have otherwise gotten.

At least that's my understanding...

Also according to my student mentor I can take the courses in any order I'm comfortable with...so in theory you could do all the certs you pre-studied for first, assuming your mentor is ok with it.
  • Options
    This isn't completely correct. If you obtain a certification 'after' they analyze your certifications they will give you credit via "Requirement Satisfied" vs the "Pass" you would have otherwise gotten.

Also according to my student mentor I can take the courses in any order I'm comfortable with...so in theory you could do all the certs you pre-studied for first, assuming your mentor is ok with it.

Thanks, this info is good to know.
  • Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone transferred in a PMP certification? I was thinking of taking it this month. When I asked my advisor she said it wouldn't give credit for TPV1. Honestly I find this a little odd.

Anyone know what happened to WGUstudents.com?
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□

The information I posted was directly from my EC. To be honest, my experience with this certain EC was less than enjoyable. Also from researching it seems that there are EC's out there who give false info on the regular.

After speaking with a Supervisor EC this past week, I can confirm the information you posted is indeed correct.

Thanks for confirming this! icon_thumright.gif
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    xtopherxtopher Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    rcsoar4fun wrote: »
    Has anyone transferred in a PMP certification? I was thinking of taking it this month. When I asked my advisor she said it wouldn't give credit for TPV1. Honestly I find this a little odd.

Anyone know what happened to WGUstudents.com?

I was able to transfer in my PMP certification when I enrolled 2 years ago. I received the 6 CUs for TPV1 as a result of this.
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know what classes in the IT-security degree, allow you to satisfy other classes when taken?
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tech classes btw. My gen ed is taken care of with my associates.
  • Options
    ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    EUP1 and EUC1 when CUV1 is completed
    DHV1 when C220 and C221 are completed