Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    1.) Afaik you only need 1 cert, doesn't matter which to meet entry requirements.
    2.) Which IT track are you planning on going through? There are different certs for each.
    3.) My experience with Microsoft classes thus far has been CBT Nugget Videos, Transcender Practice Exams, MeasureUp for Labs, Wiley Plus, and MOAC Labs.
    4.) I don't think ANY class is required other than "Education without borders" to be taken in a certain order. So yes you "should" be able to sign up for 1 track and take whatever classes you wanted and then switch. Personally I don't think it makes sense. Do you want to be a systems administrator working with Windows environments, or a Cisco Network Admin? Yes it is nice to be flexible. However it's my experience that you will really only focus on one or the other in your career.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply!

1. It seems that way too but I'm writing more about if I get accepted to the university is there a cert that will be required for me to do first in the course? This way I can study for it while waiting to start. I've studied the CCENT for about a month, by reading Lammle's book twice and doing some practice tests but stopped 3 months ago to pursue A+ instead because that was most common on job boards, still hasn't helped get an interview, just replies that I'm under-qualified.
    2. Network design is what intrigued me while going through my AAS degree but it isn't currently offered at WGU. I wonder if it's worth waiting for it to come back, I suppose it can always be switched to later on. Cisco has been much easier than MS for me to study but MS certs are asked for a lot more than cisco from what I've seen.
    3. Are the MCSA CBT Nuggets a lot like Professor Messer videos? I struggled getting through his A+ videos, just couldn't stay interested but the A+ exam cram book I had no problem with. The current book offerings for Server 2012 R2 are mostly negative reviews on amazon and after trying technet it's not for me.
    4. Currently I'm leaning towards cisco network admin but openings aren't very common in my area, mostly help desk and system admin openings. One of my strongest skills is working fast with my hands, which career has more hands on?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    techfiend, if you want to switch majors you do have to wait until your term break, so you could finish your CCENT/CCNA CCNA Security and then switch over to networking but you'd basically be taking extra classes at that point, and you'd have to delay your advancement unless you're already planning on taking multiple terms and okay with waiting for a term switch to do so and then complete the extra classes
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    I've got a question about course changes: When I started my Network design and management degree at WGU, the Microsoft Offerings were based on Server 2008, now they've switched to Server 2012 R2, finally. Can I forgo these 2008 courses and switch to the 2012 (actual certs, not- in house testing) without being penalized?
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Itrimble wrote: »
    I've got a question about course changes: When I started my Network design and management degree at WGU, the Microsoft Offerings were based on Server 2008, now they've switched to Server 2012 R2, finally. Can I forgo these 2008 courses and switch to the 2012 (actual certs, not- in house testing) without being penalized?

Any reason you wouldn't just fire this off in an email to your student mentor? They seem to be pretty on top of questions like this.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    I sent an email to my mentor on Thursday. I'm still waiting to hear back. I was hoping someone in this thread may have done the same or have had experience with this already.
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Itrimble wrote: »
    I sent an email to my mentor on Thursday. I'm still waiting to hear back. I was hoping someone in this thread may have done the same or have had experience with this already.

Gotcha. Valid question. Let us know what he/she comes back with.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    ThexzenoThexzeno Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So I just applied and sent in my transcripts as well as my certification verification. Hopefully they look past my previous failures and let me in because I really would like to attend this school.

My previous GPA was very very bad, I was young and immature and not sure what i wanted to do with my life but im sure they've heard the story a million times over. If i do get denied is there a way to appeal it? and any stories of others with abysmal GPA's getting so I might get my hopes up lol?
  • Options
    jbegarekjbegarek Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't worry about it. I was on academic probation from my last school and was admitted no problem.
  • Options
    2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    have no fear my friend!! i was in a worse situation than you are now and im in my second month and finishing up my 6th class.
    Thexzeno wrote: »
    So I just applied and sent in my transcripts as well as my certification verification. Hopefully they look past my previous failures and let me in because I really would like to attend this school.

My previous GPA was very very bad, I was young and immature and not sure what i wanted to do with my life but im sure they've heard the story a million times over. If i do get denied is there a way to appeal it? and any stories of others with abysmal GPA's getting so I might get my hopes up lol?
  • Options
    PynxiaPynxia Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So this is my first post (obv) and I have some questions about possible being accepted into WGU. I have 2 years at another private university where I was planning on getting my degree in Management Information Systems, but due to financial issues I had to leave. I want to get my degree in IT but I have no certifications. And as for specialization I'm still trying to figure that part out. Only the two years of college and 1 year of work-study in the IT department. What are my chances of getting in? I've looked at the requirements page but I don't know if anyone might have some more info. Thanks!

- D
  • Options
    Pynxia: I'm pretty sure you need any of the certifications listed in the degree to get in.

I thought I was going to get everything in before Oct 15 and start Nov 1 but I had forgotten the transcipt of the college credit I gained in HS so currently set to start on Dec. 1. I started studying N+ around Oct 10 and ready to sit N+ next week, however I do have a CCENT book that I could study and sit probably before Dec. 1. Saving the money of N+ would be nice, which should I pursue or should I wait?

Will the CCENT eliminate some of the other certs?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    MichaelRMichaelR Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently enrolled at WGU. In order for me to get in I needed to get any 2 industry certs (I chose A+,Net+). If I had
    college credits in the last five years I would not have needed the certs. I had zero college. Call WGU and they can answer
    any questions you have. My experience with WGU has been fantastic. I heard about them here in these forums and called.
    I say go for it.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm surprised they asked for 2 certs, either a very recent change or (another) clueless enrollment person.
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    Pynxia: I'm pretty sure you need any of the certifications listed in the degree to get in.

I thought I was going to get everything in before Oct 15 and start Nov 1 but I had forgotten the transcipt of the college credit I gained in HS so currently set to start on Dec. 1. I started studying N+ around Oct 10 and ready to sit N+ next week, however I do have a CCENT book that I could study and sit probably before Dec. 1. Saving the money of N+ would be nice, which should I pursue or should I wait?

Will the CCENT eliminate some of the other certs?

techfiend, CCENT will only eliminate the CCENT class, it won't satisfy the net+ class which is kinda silly. The reason I am saying this is I was speaking to my mentor earlier tonight and he mentioned a previous student who had CCNA and didn't need to study for the Net+ as he already knew most of the info.
  • Options
    So a CCNA eliminates Net+ and CCENT? But CCENT doesn't eliminate Net+? That is silly indeed.

I emailed by enrollment counselor a few days ago with the question but she hasn't replied. I'm not sure she would know anyways.

To save some money, I'll probably stop studying for a month then go back and skim the Net+ exam cram and do practice tests the last week of November. Will I be able to take the Net+ as soon as I'm enrolled?

Or I could study for CCNA but I won't be ready for a few months at least. Would I be able to take the CCNA test first?
  • Options
    No no, you misread me... CCNA does not satisfy Net+ either, they are completely separate. My mentor was making the point that he accelerated through the Net+ class because since he had CCNA he already knew most of the info that was going to be on the Net+ exam.
  • Options
    you can pass ccna and get credit for Net+ class. so far for my degree IT-sec. classes that you can take upper level and get credit for are CUV1 for euc1, eup1 and c246 and you get credit for crv1 and you can take c220 and get credit for DHV1
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    CCNA doesn't waive the Net+ but it should "requirements satisfied" the course. There are a few tacks you can do this with, such as operating systems and website courses.
  • Options
    im repeating what the mentor told me..if you pass C246 you could skip CRV1
    TomkoTech wrote: »
    CCNA doesn't waive the Net+ but it should "requirements satisfied" the course. There are a few tacks you can do this with, such as operating systems and website courses.
  • Options
    So in my position should I wait to take the Net+ when I enroll? If I'm ready to take the test can I do that immediately without having to take a course?

Also I assumed WGU was self study, but "course" doesn't sound like it, is it self study?
  • Options
    just wait and when you have access to the pre assessment..take it and if you pass request a voucher. let wgu pay for it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, I'll do that.

Now trying to figure out which track to take. Originally focused on security but not seeing many related job openings around here, mostly sys admin jobs preferring mcp certs. I'm not very comfortable dealing with clients/customers all day and would rather work in a small group. Also prefer cli over gui but not powershell, my little exposure has shown it's a disaster of a scripting language. Windows batch, bash and cisco ios I'm comfortable with. Also have some experience with virtualization which was very interesting and where I might end up eventually. Any suggestions on what track to pursue?
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    Passed my last WGU class!! I am done for now! Good luck everyone pursuing their degrees at WGU!
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    GuistinoGuistino Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is anyone giving referrals for application fee waiver? can someone help me out?
  • Options
    pitstoppitstop Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Guistino wrote: »
    Is anyone giving referrals for application fee waiver? can someone help me out?

I can give you one if you still need it, or you can also go to the Refer-a-friend thread and ask :)
  • Options
    some kind person offered to help out. hopefully I didn't do it wrong- I had already requested "more info" from wgu - but I haven't yet applied or paid anything.

what is wrong with this quick reply?- typing very sluggish
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Guistino wrote: »
    what is wrong with this quick reply?- typing very sluggish

If you're on Windows 8, that's why - this forum is broken under that OS.
  • Options
    It's win7 and only if I use quick reply
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Got me, I just know I can't use the forum on my 8.1 tablet :-/