Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    rpeek90rpeek90 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

I am starting my Bachelor's in IT in March. I am currently a desktop support admin with a few years of solid corporate experience and an A+ cert. I am torn between the Network Admin and Network Security degree tracks. The network admin degree is the most appealing because I believe landing a job as a network admin is the most reasonable and logical progression out of my current role (and i'm interested in network/security). However, the network admin degree doesn't have the built-in CCNA, not to mention the CCNA Security is a really attractive cert to have. Most all networking jobs I have come across really, really want at least CCNA. This makes the network admin track a little less worthy than the Security, IMO. I'm just a little skeptical about jumping into the Security degree without any decent real-world networking experience, plus not even getting that Server 2012 cert that the admin track offers. Would it be better to go for the security degree, and land a network admin job anyways and bank on having the nice security credentials and knowledge for the future? Or should I go the easier route for Network Admin and try and grab CCNA on my own time? Sorry for the long post and I hope I have made clear my dilemma. I just really want to make the right decision this time around. Any better info on the two programs or anyone with experience would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I don't have long to make my decision.

Thanks, and Happy New Year
  • Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rpeek90 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am starting my Bachelor's in IT in March. I am currently a desktop support admin with a few years of solid corporate experience and an A+ cert. I am torn between the Network Admin and Network Security degree tracks. The network admin degree is the most appealing because I believe landing a job as a network admin is the most reasonable and logical progression out of my current role (and i'm interested in network/security). However, the network admin degree doesn't have the built-in CCNA, not to mention the CCNA Security is a really attractive cert to have. Most all networking jobs I have come across really, really want at least CCNA.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter, pick the one that appeals to your ability to finish it in the mostly timely matter.

In general no degree or certification is going to make someone prepared for a position in networking and particularly not networking security. It merely provides a useful basis from which to gain experience. And to be quite frank, some people are just more suited for networking and/or security.

If you went the Net Admin track the CCNA could be used to fill one of the network classes.
  • Options
    rpeek90rpeek90 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    rcsoar4fun wrote: »
    If you went the Net Admin track the CCNA could be used to fill one of the network classes.

I see what you're getting at. Thanks.

What do you mean I can use the CCNA to fill one of the network classes? Are you suggesting I take the CCNA before enrollment to place out of a few of the networking CU's? If so, it didn't seem readily obvious that this was possible/allowed.
  • Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rpeek90 wrote: »
    I see what you're getting at. Thanks.

What do you mean I can use the CCNA to fill one of the network classes? Are you suggesting I take the CCNA before enrollment to place out of a few of the networking CU's? If so, it didn't seem readily obvious that this was possible/allowed.

CRV1 is a Network classes that counts the Network+. Skip the Network+ and get the CCNA. They used my CCNA to give me credit for it since my Network+ was expired.

And I didn't get any credit for the CCNP. icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I can't find if KFT1 is still part of the BS IT: Security. Object Oriented Programming. My mentor doesn't know, but it still uses the old class code. The new courses were added to my plan, but no new programming classes were added. The new information sheet doesn't list the old programming class anymore (new ones were added).... Anyone know how I'd find out if it's supposed to be there or gone? I have a bit of programming to do and a couple other things to complete it. Don't want to do it if it's not necessary (almost completed with every other class to graduate).
  • Options
    f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
    Starting BS: IT Sec on February 1st. Has anyone else noticed that now it only comes with 7 certs?
    I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
    [FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]
  • Options
    xagreusxagreus Member Posts: 114 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, I just noticed that this week (hoping to start the same program in the next couple of months). Looks like they did away with CIW and MTA certs. icon_sad.gif

They did the same kind of thing with some of the other programs, too. And when did they do away with the BS: IT Network Design program?
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm almost done with the Security degree and I thought the change was good. Those Java certs made no sense and I couldn't care less about having more MTAs.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Right, I did the program when they had the CIW and MTA certs and I don't even list them on my resume. If you're going for a security position do they really care if you have certs in web design?
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I start the BSIT: Security program the 1st of Feb. Funny thing is that I had my evaluation + enrollment process finished late last month. I am not sure how or if this change to the BSIT: Security affects be but I will find out and report to this thread.

I have scheduled a meeting with my EC tomorrow afternoon for final preparations. I'll ask him about the change....hopefully he has the answers I/we seek.
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    Side note: The BSIT: Security Program PDF along with a few other BSIT programs has updated.

I just googled "WGU BSIT Security" and downloaded the PDF file on the second link.

The program update/modified date was 12/24/2014. The program was updated two weeks ago.
  • Options
    MotoTechMotoTech Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A little confused on what I should do. I'm about to take my A+ this month and just found out about WGU. I want to enroll and file my fafsa. The thing is, doing some research it seems like the 2014-2015 school year is about to come to an end June 30th 2015. And since WGU starts essentially every month, I'm confused whether or not I will get financial aid for the entire year.

While starting my fafsa it asks me to choose which year I want to apply for, 14-15 or 15-16. I want to start in March, maybe April. Is it too late to apply for financial aid for the 2014-2015 year?? Or should I just wait 6 months?? I want to be sure I get enough fa.
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MotoTech wrote: »
    While starting my fafsa it asks me to choose which year I want to apply for, 14-15 or 15-16. I want to start in March, maybe April. Is it too late to apply for financial aid for the 2014-2015 year?? Or should I just wait 6 months?? I want to be sure I get enough fa.

I'm not sure if they'll speak with you if you're not a student, but the people who watch this inbox will be able to answer that question: finaid@wgu.edu

If you let them know you're very interested in attending, but you have some financial questions that need answering first, I don't see why they wouldn't reply.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    earonw49 wrote: »
    I start the BSIT: Security program the 1st of Feb. Funny thing is that I had my evaluation + enrollment process finished late last month. I am not sure how or if this change to the BSIT: Security affects be but I will find out and report to this thread.

I have scheduled a meeting with my EC tomorrow afternoon for final preparations. I'll ask him about the change....hopefully he has the answers I/we seek.

I have finished my final checkup interview with my EC on Friday. My financial aid has cleared so with that being said, I officially start Feb 1st. I will receive my materials and "meet" my student mentor next week to go over the plan.

For those who are starting the BSIT: Security on Feb 1st or and beyond, know that the updates to that program will reflect on your degree plan when you start. You may receive another email in regards to your degree evaluation. This email will reflect what credits and certs you have transferred in concordance with the new program changes. You will not loose those credits and in some cases like me, it will help shave off a class or two.

Apparently the plan was indeed officially updated 12/24/2014 however it didn't go into effect until 1/5/2015.
  • Options

If you fill out your FAFSA this month with the intentions of starting in March, you MUST to fill it out for the 14-15 year. When your term is over (which will be September in your case), you will then fill out a new FAFSA form for 15-16. The federal govt considers all schooling before June 30th a "Spring" semester, therefore it still pertains to the 14-15 year.

Since you are filing for FAFSA aid for the "Spring" semester/term, you will not receive a year's worth of Financial Aid. You will receive a normal/single semester's worth of aid to help you pay for any and all costs. You will not be taking all of your aid for the 14-15 year. You can appeal and request more aid if you choose to do so. It is up to their financial aid department if you were to receive extra aid or not.

If you want to confirm what I said and/or ask any additional questions, please call the WGU Financial Aid at 1-877-435-7948 ext. 3104.
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    Many FA programs are dispersed 6+ months in advance ie you apply in February for the school year that begins in September.
  • Options
    Thanks I will give them a call
  • Options
    Cisc0kidd wrote: »
    Many FA programs are dispersed 6+ months in advance ie you apply in February for the school year that begins in September.

So if I were to apply for fa now for the 2014-2015 academic year I'd be looking at a reimbursement type of situation correct?
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    I am not sure what your question is.
  • Options
    Cisc0kidd wrote: »

This is true. The earlier you do the 15-16 FAFSA the better. That means you gotta get those taxes done before doing so.
  • Options
    So if I were to apply for fa now for the 2014-2015 academic year I'd be looking at a reimbursement type of situation correct?

No.

If you apply now for the 14-15 year, the FAFSA money will be available and will be used to pay for your term in March. If you have any extra money, it will be given to you as a refund deposit/check.

What Cisc0kidd was saying us that if you decide to do your 15-16 FAFSA done early as possible, you can. That is if youve completed your taxes of course.
  • Options
    Has anyone ever gotten a work study through WGU?? I'm wondering if it applies only to brick and mortar campuses. If so how was it offered?
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm sure someone has said something about this topic, but I just got informed this week. The BSIT-Security degree program has changed.
    From what I can tell, these classes have changed or been replaced:

IT Fundamentals is now Intro to IT
    Physics and Physics Lab are now one class
    Biology and Lab are now Integrated Natural Science
    Literature, Arts, and the Humanities is now Intro to Humanities
    Geography is Intro to Geography
    Window OS fundamentals is gone
    Security is either gone or changed to Network and Security Applications

Here are classes I am not sure if they are changed versions or additions:

Data Management- Foundations
    Data Management- Applications
    Scripting and Programming- Foundations
    Scripting and Programming- Applications
    Business of IT- Project Management
    Business of IT- Applications

Off my old program doc I noticed these programs are gone:

Finite Mathematics
    Software Development Fundamentals
    Database 1
    Application of Effective Communication
    Web Technologies

It would be nice if they would just say which were deleted and which programs were replaced or updated.

Oh and the cut off score has dropped on some assessments. I can't remember them all, but the A+ went from 95% to 85% to get the voucher.

Reasoning and Problem Solving is now Critical Thinking and Logic
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Chadius wrote: »
    I'm sure someone has said something about this topic, but I just got informed this week. The BSIT-Security degree program has changed.
    From what I can tell, these classes have changed or been replaced:

It would be nice if they would just say which were deleted and which programs were replaced or updated.

Oh and the cut off score has dropped on some assessments. I can't remember them all, but the A+ went from 95% to 85% to get the voucher.

Reasoning and Problem Solving is now Critical Thinking and Logic

I received a letter in the mail, an email twice, and my mentor spoke to me several times concerning changes to my program. I had him pull up a list of changes for the entire program and send me an email with the expected changes that would effect me specifically to discuss prior to one of our calls.

Cut off scores on assessments before you get approval is a recommendation by the school but it is entirely up to your mentor to approve your voucher. I typically don't do the test three times above the cut off and just get the score once then ask for it. These do not get strictly enforced.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    I'm interested in how classwork is given at WGU. Are there lectures? Forums to post in? Do you feel like you actually learn from the material?

Thank you.
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just took all of the readiness assessments, but at the end of the "language test" I got:
    "Your enrollment counselor will contact you to discuss the results of your assessment".

Does that mean I somehow failed that test?
  • Options
    romeo1808romeo1808 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys,
    I'm a Canadian, and was interested in the Masters of information security assurance program. I was wondering if anyone knew if its worth it to go through this program or should i look for reputable programs? I was unable to find any info about how reputable this program is and if its looked as a highly recognized masters program. Any help would be appreciated, and private messages are more than welcomed. Thanks
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Posting the same thing 3 times and acting all desperate is not helping.
  • Options
    CybWhtKnightCybWhtKnight Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LordSevink wrote: »
    I'm interested in how classwork is given at WGU. Are there lectures? Forums to post in? Do you feel like you actually learn from the material?

Thank you.

Did you get a chance to review any of the forum posts?

First, it depends on the degree program you are interested in doing. Second, since the whole school is self-paced study, any "lectures" you have will be pre-recorded. You have the chance to do cohorts (kinda like study groups) led by a course mentor, but mostly you are left to learn as quickly as you can in order to meet the requirements for each course. It's either "meets" or "does not meet" (resubmit) when it comes to assignments, and GPA doesn't really exist.

If you have any specific questions, please provide them and I'll provide my take on it (as well as the horde of other folks in this forum.

I'm in my last term for my Master's Degree in Information Security and Assurance; Est'd Graduation - April 2015
  • Options
    CurchelCurchel Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone tried WGU's BS in Software Development? How is it