Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    samueeesamueee Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello all!! first time posting here.

I just started WGU, on April 1st. So I have been at it 11 days, I have taken and passed AGC1, BBC1, and CLC1. I also submitted LAE1 yesterday.

I had my second weekly call with my mentor last Monday. She told me she cannot open up any courses until they are cleared out of my degree plan. Is this true? She said the most she could add was two, I didn't find this acceptable. It seems like I am being held back. I would of thought I could just keep knocking them out, I feel like she is making this harder than it needs to be. I could pass several tests TODAY if approved. I would of thought that passing several exams back to back would inspire some trust in my abilities. I Guess not...

The end of my term is not for 24.5 weeks, seeing as I did 8 cu's in my first 7 days I would think its reasonable to think that the next 4cu wont take 5.5 months. I know I'm a noob - but seriously I'm pushing my mentor.

Any advice of what to say or do? I have read through most of the pages here and have found a few nuggets but no concrete answers.

Thanks to all in advanced!

______UPDATE______ make that 10CU's in 10days. I just got a pass notice from taskstream for LAE1.

:D
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    samueee wrote: »
    Hello all!! first time posting here.

....snip.......

First of all welcome to TE and congratulations on beginning your WGU journey.

You are at the "getting to know you" stage with your mentor. While you are certainly off to a great start, your mentor just wants to make sure you are the real deal. Your mentor is actually doing you a favor, so just (for now) work within the parameters you are given.

If you were done with your first term with like 30 CUs+, I would give you different advice. But since you've just started, just see how you handle the next two courses. Trust me, for a course like LAT1, it is almost impossible to knock that out in two days (as opposed to LAE1). The course takes at a minimum three weeks to a month and that's assuming you have a fulltime job. I actually had to take a week off from work JUST to deal with the final stages of LAT1. Another course like that (and this is only because I'm not a math wiz) was QLT1 (though I didn't need to take time off from work for that.)

See how well you do on the next two courses. Once you're done with those, get two more (or even three). Continue at the pace you want to give yourself until you get to the final month. Your goal (and your mentor's, because she gets heat from her boss) is to finish a term with a good number of CUs with 100% SAP. Prove yourself to your mentor and then you will see them playing ball.
  • Options
    Excellent - thanks for the prompt reply. and the welcome to TE... I've been stalking for about two months.

Basically, I need a reality check and a small dose of patience. I knew that, but sometimes you need someone to tell you to take a deep breath.

(BTW, LAT1 is that the same as QBT1) Its listed as:

QBT1
    Language and Communication: Research

in my degree plan.

I guess I could unofficially start on that.

Forgive my excitement. I have been out of the school world for 7 years now and I feel like I have a new lease on life because of WGU!
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Melika635 wrote: »
    Need a little encouragement... GUT1 Task 4 is killing me. slowly. painfully. Someone please tell me I will figure it out and it will all be just a memory soon.

It will. You will wonder what to do with all that free time, and will strangely miss coding obscure Java syntax along with reading weird Java texts.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Maybe an unborn baby.....probably a zygote or something.

Thanks for the memory jog. I actually have referred to it as a "mini-PMP", not a "baby PMP". Old age, ya know.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    RPGChaiRPGChai Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just took and passed my WSV1 (CIW Web Design Spec) test this morning. I'm wondering: how much more depth is there to the JavaScript class past what was covered in WSV1? I guess I'm wondering if having that base knowledge means that I can fly through the full JavaScript class in a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    The javascript cert does deal with a lot of syntax. It isn't terribly hard either. I would suggest reading the CIW materials and take a look at youtube for thenewboston javascript tutorials. It has been awhile since I took it, but this helped too. http://www.mcmcse.com/ciw/javascript_guide.shtml
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    RPGChai wrote: »
    Just took and passed my WSV1 (CIW Web Design Spec) test this morning. I'm wondering: how much more depth is there to the JavaScript class past what was covered in WSV1? I guess I'm wondering if having that base knowledge means that I can fly through the full JavaScript class in a couple of weeks.

I'm doing the same thing you did. Just passed Web Design about 10 days ago and moved on to Javascript. It goes into more depth, but it doesn't seem to hard either so far. I'm on lesson 7 right now.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    Cool!! Nobylspoon and I have the same mentor (T.M.), he also sends out a monthly newsletter. Kinda makes you feel like they are not looking at you like you're "just a number."

Well we DID have the same mentor. TM was just promoted and had to transfer most of his students to other mentors. My new one is EG. She was an enrollment councilor who just became a student mentor. I haven't had a call with her yet.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    samueee wrote: »
    Excellent - thanks for the prompt reply. and the welcome to TE... I've been stalking for about two months.

Basically, I need a reality check and a small dose of patience. I knew that, but sometimes you need someone to tell you to take a deep breath.

(BTW, LAT1 is that the same as QBT1) Its listed as:

QBT1

Language and Communication: Research

in my degree plan.

I guess I could unofficially start on that.

Forgive my excitement. I have been out of the school world for 7 years now and I feel like I have a new lease on life because of WGU!

Sounds like it is the same class, WGU changes the program up ever several months or so. Current students then have the option of staying within the program they started with (like the MCSE 2K3 guys I walked with) or upgrading to the new program. Most folks tend to stay within the program they started with. I did want to take what is now the current Javascript exam, but course mentors were playing games, so I opted to take the older exam so I can move quickly.

In any event, I know how you feel. I was exactly the same way when I first started. I had done my first 12 CUs in 26 days and I felt proud. I'm pretty sure that if it weren't for the support that I found on TE, WGU would have been yet another school I dropped out of. You sound like you will do very well....just relax, breathe and do your WGU work at a very comfortable pace. Spend a few hours reading this particular thread. I promise you any (general) questions you have was probably already answered.

Also, pay it forward as well...share your experiences so that you can impart that knowledge on another newbie. :)

You will be fine.
  • Options
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Well we DID have the same mentor. TM was just promoted and had to transfer most of his students to other mentors. My new one is EG. She was an enrollment councilor who just became a student mentor. I haven't had a call with her yet.

Oh heck!! Bro, you better lay down the law swiftly and early!! Be polite, but let this lady know you won't tolerate nonsense.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So tasks 1-3 on LAT are approved. Just submitted 4 and 5, time to hurry up and wait. Been a rough couple of days at work, but when I get home tomorrow i'll start in on GAC1 studies. Need to finish up LAT, LUT, and GAC by the end of this month to keep on schedule. Looking over HHT and QLT, i'm not as worried as I thought i'd be, will try and knock those and IWT out next month.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    @Hypntick - LAT1 was the top of the mountain for me, I kept momentum afterwards and cleared through the rest of the program fairly well. Good luck on tasks 4 and 5, the hard part is behind you from tasks 1-3 imo. Writing is the fun/easy part.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Oh heck!! Bro, you better lay down the law swiftly and early!! Be polite, but let this lady know you won't tolerate nonsense.

Yeah, I just hope she isn't like most of the enrollment councilors. If I have any issues I can just contact my former mentor, her new boss :)
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Nobylspoon wrote: »

I'm with EG as well now. Good for TM!! Knocked out Sec+ this morning, 7 courses left to graduate! icon_thumright.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    Will someone shoot me the link for the books 24x7 site for WGU. I see we can't log in to the normal books 24x7 site. I usually just link to the site through one of the emails from 24x7, but I cleaned my email out and deleted them all. icon_sad.gif

WGU -

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    Will someone shoot me the link for the books 24x7 site for WGU. I see we can't log in to the normal books 24x7 site. I usually just link to the site through one of the emails from 24x7, but I cleaned my email out and deleted them all. icon_sad.gif

mobile.skillport.books24x7.com

group code is wgu
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    mobile.skillport.books24x7.com

group code is wgu

Thank you!!

WGU -

• Options
    And LAT1 is frickin done! icon_cheers.gif On to LUT1. Also had my mentor add my 3 math courses to my AAV today. Going to work on those over the weekend.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    And LAT1 is frickin done! icon_cheers.gif On to LUT1. Also had my mentor add my 3 math courses to my AAV today. Going to work on those over the weekend.

Nice!! icon_thumright.gif Getting close!

WGU -

• Options
    Does anyone have any good link on creating arrays from textfields in Java? I am struggling mightily with this first task. I almost to the point of transferring to another school so I don't have to deal with this.:)
    WGU grad
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does anyone have any good link on creating arrays from textfields in Java? I am struggling mightily with this first task. I almost to the point of transferring to another school so I don't have to deal with this.
    icon_lol.gif If you transfer schools over that, you might not get very far. Is there nothing in the provided curriculum that covers this kind of thing?
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    Does anyone have any good link on creating arrays from textfields in Java? I am struggling mightily with this first task. I almost to the point of transferring to another school so I don't have to deal with this.

You should be able to do something like declare myArray = new String[24]. I'll try to look and come back for this.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    icon_lol.gif If you transfer schools over that, you might not get very far. Is there nothing in the provided curriculum that covers this kind of thing?
    Ha, Programming seems to be pretty tough to learn without a structured classroom. The first task is pretty indepth for an intro to programming class.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Ha, Programming seems to be pretty tough to learn without a structured classroom.

Yeah, but not to the extent that math is tough to learn independently.
    The first task is pretty indepth for an intro to programming class.

It is. They probably should have made the first tasks text input-based, then gone on to GUIs in the later ones.

There's a lot that could be done to improve the Java courses, IMO.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Does anyone have any good link on creating arrays from textfields in Java? I am struggling mightily with this first task. I almost to the point of transferring to another school so I don't have to deal with this.:)

I suggest taking a look at Java for Programmers by Deitel. It will get you through both Java classes with plenty of good code examples to build from including Arrays, sets, maps, and GUIs.
  • Options
    Well, I'm going to officially retire my signature. I want to open it up for what I'm currently doing (my Master's programs) and perhaps other certs I may want to work on. So far, those of interest at this time would be the PMP, the 70-646 and the SQL Server DBA:2008 exams.

I will leave my signature here for TE prosperity but I now I can add some additional stuff to it for prospective students to look at:

WGU Courses Completed beginning on August 1, 2010 (Term separated by | AND classes were done in order):
    EWB2, LAE1, BBC1, TSV1, WFV1, LAT1, LUT1, CLC1, TPV1|LET1, ORC1, MGC1, QLT1, QLC1, INT1, AKV1, AHV1|TWA1, AIV1, CPW3, ABV1, BIV1, BHV1
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU with BS - IT: NDM : D-O-N-E!!!!!
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, INC1, TEV1, TTV1, QMC1, SSC1, SST1, IWC1, IWT1, TNV1
  • Options
    Waiting to hear back on HHT1, also QLT1 task 1 is done with. Provided HHT1 comes back fine i'll try and finish out LUT1 and QLT1 this week. Will re-do the pre-assessment for GAC1 tomorrow night. Momentum is gathering!
  • Options
    So I passed MGC1 today, bringing my total CU's to 14 since my April 1st start date, I am unofficially working on QBT1 aka LAT1 now...icon_study.gificon_twisted.gif. Any QBT/LAT Tips??

An update: My mentor has been giving me a little more freedom since I've been proving my abilities, she was nice enough to add and approve MGC1 on friday that I passedtoday icon_lol.gif. I am hoping to take my A+ exams this weekend, and the CIW web foundations. :) I feel ready due to my practice scores and 5+ Years of experience in the IT field.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    I finally start May 1st, did that wonderfully entertaining EWB yesterday. Since the system was nice enough to let me see everything, I've already started on JFT2 (took Org Beh in my BS, same book) and LKT2 (my Company gives Books 24x7 access). Plan to be ready to submit stuff as soon as things actually start.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Waiting to hear back on HHT1, also QLT1 task 1 is done with. Provided HHT1 comes back fine i'll try and finish out LUT1 and QLT1 this week. Will re-do the pre-assessment for GAC1 tomorrow night. Momentum is gathering!

Why not throw on LUT1 too? LUT1 is not LAT1; you just write a script, get your pretty mug in front of a camera, and have a spouse/relative ask questions you provide that "audience" and you answer it with the "teleprompter." (the "audience" member holding your script in front of you.)

It's based off the LAT1 work you did...you should be able to knock that one out within 3-5 days. A whole week tops. But you'll be done with the English component.

EDIT: I was just saying (at the time) that LUT1 will really be a quick one to do...I see now that you are knocking that out. :)
    Valsacar wrote: »
    I finally start May 1st, did that wonderfully entertaining EWB yesterday. Since the system was nice enough to let me see everything, I've already started on JFT2 (took Org Beh in my BS, same book) and LKT2 (my Company gives Books 24x7 access). Plan to be ready to submit stuff as soon as things actually start.

Unofficially, I'm done with the Org Beh course at my school and will update my thread as soon I'm done here. WGU's undergrad Org Behavior course did a nice job in prepping me for this particular course. I've read a lot of people complaining about that course and I'm curious to hear from you and N2IT on how this particular course fared with you. If I were to ever transfer to WGU's Master's program, I am confident I would not have to take it. :)