Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    briandy81 wrote: »
    Nice!!!

I just did mine today and scored a 51 percent lmao. Never touched this stuff in my life though. I have my assessment scheduled for next Tuesday. Pretty much going to follow the same preparation as I did for ORC1.

The MGC1 builds on the ORC1/BNC1 course. I was surprised to see quite a bit of overlap between the two.
  • Options
    SuppahMarioSuppahMario Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hopping on to this thread. I recently found out about WGU and am thinking about going for my Bachelors in IT. I dropped out of community college to get my first IT job to support my sick mom. I've got 14+ years IT experience (including 5 in a supervisory role) but not having a degree holds me back from applying for certain jobs and since 2008 I've only moved backwards with jobs/salary. I'm earning 40% of what I used to and need to be as competitive as I can. I've heard that WGU gives some credit for IT certifications (I'm assuming this means I could jump faster towards my degree -- yes?).
    I'm wondering if anyone who has dealt with this can chime in and tell me how that works and what type of credit you received.

Thanks
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Hopping on to this thread. I recently found out about WGU and am thinking about going for my Bachelors in IT. I dropped out of community college to get my first IT job to support my sick mom. I've got 14+ years IT experience (including 5 in a supervisory role) but not having a degree holds me back from applying for certain jobs and since 2008 I've only moved backwards with jobs/salary. I'm earning 40% of what I used to and need to be as competitive as I can. I've heard that WGU gives some credit for IT certifications (I'm assuming this means I could jump faster towards my degree -- yes?).
    I'm wondering if anyone who has dealt with this can chime in and tell me how that works and what type of credit you received.

Thanks

You are correct. Certs do give you credit for classes that relate to that cert specifically. Prior school courses also transfer in. I'm sure there is a time limit on how long ago you completed those courses. You best bet is to get in touch with an admissions counselor and they will be able to give you specific answers.

Welcome to TE and best of luck in your studies.icon_thumright.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828

Thanks

Tech courses/certs that are over 5 years old will not be accepted. However, the fact that you have already gone through that class in the past shows that you will able to get through it very quickly. They only charge per term, not per class, so it's not that bad. I would recommend getting the harder certs, like MCITP or CCNA, before enrolling so that you don;t spend a lot of time on those during your enrollment. Also if you need to take a bridge exam to get your cert current, do that as well.

General Education/Liberal Arts courses over 5 years old will be accepted.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    swild wrote: »
    General Education/Liberal Arts courses over 5 years old will be accepted.

I can confirm this. My oldest courses were from 1997-1998 that I was able to transfer in back in 2010. My CompTIAs (A+ and Network+) were almost 5 years old (4.5) so I had to get that in. Coupled with the fact that if I didn't take Security+ that year, I would not have the CompTIA trinity as lifetime, so I had to get in WGU before 11/2010 to comply with the tech course five year requirement. But my general eds were not a problem.
  • Options
    MGC1 scheduled for Tuesday. That will give me 48 CU's this term, and 3 weeks left until the end of term. 5 courses next term to finish my degree. icon_bounce.gificon_thumright.gif

WGU -

• Options
    fendralfendral Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, here it goes. I start on Tuesday (May 1) planning for two terms, while secretly (or not so) trying for one. I was laid off back in October from my IT manager position so I currently have a bit of time to work on it as long as I don't get burned out. Starting with WFV1, CLC1, KET1, and CTV1. My interim Mentor for the first two months let me take some preassessments, and got a 94% on CLC1, so should be able to knock that out as soon as the webcam gets here. I also have already coded up both tasks for KET1 and am ready to submit.

WFV1 should be easy after a little HTML review, and that just leaves Security+. Hoping to have this group done just about as fast as I can schedule the exams.
    B.S. IT - Security : Transferred|Required|In Progress|Completed
    LAE1 AGC1 BBC1 CNV1 AXV1 CPV1 DJV1 INT1 COV1 CQV1 QLT1 BVC1 (39CU)
    TPV1 CSV1 SBT1 RGT1 (17CU)
    KFT1 RIT1 IWT1 (9CU)
    CLC1 KET1 CTV1 WFV1 MGC1 CVV1 INC1 LUT1 CUV1 BOV1 DFV1 CJV1 BNC1 DHV1 IWC1 HHT1 GAC1 QBT1 (57CU)
  • Options
    fendral wrote: »
    Well, here it goes. I start on Tuesday (May 1) planning for two terms, while secretly (or not so) trying for one. I was laid off back in October from my IT manager position so I currently have a bit of time to work on it as long as I don't get burned out. Starting with WFV1, CLC1, KET1, and CTV1. My interim Mentor for the first two months let me take some preassessments, and got a 94% on CLC1, so should be able to knock that out as soon as the webcam gets here. I also have already coded up both tasks for KET1 and am ready to submit.

WFV1 should be easy after a little HTML review, and that just leaves Security+. Hoping to have this group done just about as fast as I can schedule the exams.

Welcome to WGU!! Best of luck in your studies!

WGU -

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So, I've been waiting a week and a half to hear from the WGU scholarship department to see if I qualified for any financial assistance.

I got an email that said I didn't qualify for not one (Urban, military, etc). So, it looks like I'll have to pay for the tuition out of pocket.

At this point, I don't care. I just want to get started and complete my degree.
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    So, I've been waiting a week and a half to hear from the WGU scholarship department to see if I qualified for any financial assistance.

I got an email that said I didn't qualify for not one (Urban, military, etc). So, it looks like I'll have to pay for the tuition out of pocket.

At this point, I don't care. I just want to get started and complete my degree.

If you are Active Duty you can use your Tuition Assistance to pay for your terms.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    fendral wrote: »

One term is possible. It looks like you have 83CUs to complete. I honestly didn't work as hard as I could have and will easily finish 60CUs in one term. Do to illness and work stuff, it took probably 2 months longer than it could have.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    afcyung wrote: »
    If you are Active Duty you can use your Tuition Assistance to pay for your terms.

Not if you have a bachelor's degree,especially with the DoD trying to tighten their belt. I was told to pursue my Master's, which I will after I get my B.S.

Same with FAFSA.

That's why I tried to apply for scholarships, so it could help dampen/lessen the tuition.

But I only have to complete 7 classes to get my B.S., so I'll just pay for the term and hope this can qualify me for a higher refund come tax time.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    But I only have to complete 7 classes to get my B.S., so I'll just pay for the term and hope this can qualify me for a higher refund come tax time.

You already have a BS? Say goodbye to the American Opportunity Credit. Assuming you make too much for the Lifetime Learning Credit you'll be using the tution and fees deduction, which could be anywhere from $2000 or $4000, depending on your Modified Adjusted Gross Income; which then isn't a refund, but a deduction on what you pay in taxes...which may result in a higher refund, or just reduces your tax liability.
  • Options
    Passed the Project+ this morning and will be starting on the CUV1 - Web technologies tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Assuming you make too much for the Lifetime Learning Credit you'll be using the tution and fees deduction, which could be anywhere from $2000 or $4000, depending on your Modified Adjusted Gross Income; which then isn't a refund, but a deduction on what you pay in taxes...which may result in a higher refund, or just reduces your tax liability.

That's what I'm aiming for right now, since nothing else is working out for me. I figure with the $3,000 for the term and possibly a few more certs or a new laptop, I'll qualify. It's just hard to get to that range normally.

Psoasman, congrats on the pass. Did you think it was a difficult exam? When I took it back in 2010, I thought the material was a bit dry, but the exam was pretty easy.
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    Not if you have a bachelor's degree,especially with the DoD trying to tighten their belt. I was told to pursue my Master's, which I will after I get my B.S.

Same with FAFSA.

That's why I tried to apply for scholarships, so it could help dampen/lessen the tuition.

You can use your GI bill and do Top Up if you needed to.
  • Options
    afcyung wrote: »
    You can use your GI bill and do Top Up if you needed to.

I was trying to avoid using it, hoping to save it for my daughter.
  • Options
    usagent27usagent27 Member Posts: 119
    passed MTA-98-365 Server fundamentals. now onto Project management
    WGU Progress: started 03/01/12-08/31/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • Options
    Psoasman, congrats on the pass. Did you think it was a difficult exam? When I took it back in 2010, I thought the material was a bit dry, but the exam was pretty easy.

It wasn't too hard. I had taken a PM course for my AAS degree, so some of this was review. Main thing is terminology and the formulas.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just passed KFT1 this morning. KFT1 was hell for me as it took me more than 2 months even though I have a good programming background. I didn't like how sloppy the COS and Task 4 instruction were, and I had to go beyond what was said in the instruction to get the ideal application they wanted. So I didn't follow exactly what they asked for. I got almost perfect. Everything else was great except my application didn't have a GUI. So I got a 3 out of 4 on that part. This class could have been done much earlier if I ask for a lot of helps and have someone guide me.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    Just passed KFT1 this morning. KFT1 was hell for me as it took me more than 2 months even though I have a good programming background. I didn't like how sloppy the COS and Task 4 instruction were, and I had to go beyond what was said in the instruction to get the ideal application they wanted. So I didn't follow exactly what they asked for. I got almost perfect. Everything else was great except my application didn't have a GUI. So I got a 3 out of 4 on that part. This class could have been done much earlier if I ask for a lot of helps and have someone guide me.

congrats, i personally am dreading the java classes tis why im putting them off till the end
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471

The Java classes need a lot of work in my opinion. Though I will say the new course mentor is much better than the old one.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    i'm not looking forward to either class.....
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As expected, being on-call and dog-sitting for my mother has put my free/study time to zero. Two more days of on-call this rotation, and my wife is taking the dog to a friends on Wednesday evening. Should allow me to finish up tech, already 5 pages in at this point. Finish date of early to mid June is now out of the question, being sent to CT for a training session for our backup appliances, after which I have to flesh out a best practice check list and training documentation for them. On top of that we've got at least one other person coming on board here shortly, who i'll need to train. Provided 70-680 doesn't trip me up, i'm thinking now mid July with all i've got on my plate. Feel glad to have knocked out what I could so quickly while I had a bit of a lull in work.

Edit to add: IWT1 finally came back good! 4 left!
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options

Congrats! I've got this one to take next term.
  • Options
    natvnatv Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys,

Is there any benefit to taking some of the easier certifications on my own before I enroll? (ie - A+, Security+)

If I'm correct, if they count for credit it means I won't have to take the classes at all... But if I wait to enroll, I'll need to request taking an assessment first before I can get an exam code.

I do realize that as part of tuition the exam is included if I take it once enrolled. But other than that is there any reason why I may want to take it now vs. later? I'm wondering how much of a bother it is to request to take an assessment instead of the class and if I should just take a few certs now before enrolling and get credit for the certs now.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Natv
    Currently Working on: HHT1
    Courses
    Transferred/
    Completed at WGU:
    AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, BVC1, BNC1, DHV1, CSV1, DFV1, WFV1, BOV1, AXV1, CPV1, GAC1
    Courses Left to complete: B.S. IT,Security.
    QBT1, HHT1, INC1, INT1, CLC1, RIT1, DJV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, CTV1, CVV1, CJV1, CUV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, MGC1, RGT1

• Options
    natv wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Is there any benefit to taking some of the easier certifications on my own before I enroll? (ie - A+, Security+)

If I'm correct, if they count for credit it means I won't have to take the classes at all... But if I wait to enroll, I'll need to request taking an assessment first before I can get an exam code.

I do realize that as part of tuition the exam is included if I take it once enrolled. But other than that is there any reason why I may want to take it now vs. later? I'm wondering how much of a bother it is to request to take an assessment instead of the class and if I should just take a few certs now before enrolling and get credit for the certs now.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Natv

I would wait personally. Requesting the voucher is no big deal. And besides the vouchers are included in the tuition. so unless you have the extra money to take the exams first i would just wait. I was able to complete 9 classes in 2 months. including 6 certs. i could have done them ahead of time but financialy it makes more sense to do it as art of your degree program.

Good luck whatever you decide
    Completed in one term
  • Options
    natv wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thoughts?
    Thanks
    Natv

If you have some experience and can knock out some certs, then go for it. Getting the CIW: Foundations, A+, Net+ and Sec+ done before starting would save you time at WGU. You do get access to a lot of learning resources that would be quite expensive outside of WGU. For example, I am taking the Web Technologies course now. If I were to buy the kit from CIW, it would cost $349.

I think an important part of going to WGU is the planning. Before I started, I roughed out a timeline for what classes I wanted to take and what order I want to take them in. I also keep study logs, so I can track how much time I study per week. Showing my mentor my study logs, lets her know I am serious about the degree.
  • Options
    rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I managed to crank out WSV1, MGC1 and TSV1 the past two months. I'm one month into my second term, now, finishing up LET1 and working on these SQL developer certs. I wanted to finish everything this term, but two SQL developer certs along with a java course then tw/cap might be too much. I'm still disappointed I wasted so much of my first term. Ah well, the end is so close I can taste it!
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I started my Masters today. I... I'm still trying to catch my breath on the task stream instructions for the first task. "Your submission can be in ANY format (report, presentation, etc)".... And it goes on to be one of the most concise and easy to follow taskstream instructions I've seen from WGU. Some reason I don't have to take the Org behavior class but that's fine. Starting with risk management. 33 CU to go!
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013