Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    Ok guys, tell me about Technical Writing(TWA1) and Capstone Project(CPW2). What to expect, what they entail, etc.

Have an idea for your idea paper.

Get your idea paper approved.

Get the sample papers/graphs from your mentor.

Follow the format for your own idea.

Write your paper with the LAT1 skills you learned. :) (Make sure your idea has a bunch of case studies...you'll need those)

Turn in Tech Writing paper.

Redo Tech Writing paper to change tense and add about a page or two for capstone to show how you did your project and expected results.

Turn in Capstone.

You can get a better idea of this by going back to around 8/1/2011 on this thread...that was the beginning of my last term and I know Tech Writing would have been the first class I'd have wanted to knock out. There were two others who had started as well. However the best thing you're gonna want are the sample papers the course mentor will give you upon request.

Happy hunting.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I find that reading all the recommended material and researching some areas of interest provides with me excellent knowledge. So far (one course) has just been filling in the knowledge gaps, which is great. I've had a lot of a ha moments which is what I was looking for. I'm sure some of the other courses will provide more insight than that.

Unlike ERP I am not an excellent writer, more like a average one which is fine. I've always been better with math courses and standardized testing, we all have our strengths and weaknesses so I'll have to deal with it like the rest of us.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Doing my LUT1 video later this evening and i'll be able to submit and cross that one off. Still waiting on task 5 for QLT1 to be graded again. Having a heck of a time coming up with stuff for IWT1, I didn't think I could spew so much artistic crap on paper. Almost done with task one, will start on task 2 tomorrow. Hope to have QLT1, LUT1, and IWT1 wrapped up by the end of the weekend. Will be doing tech/cap before win 7 at this point. Will need to study for GAC1 as well. So ready to be done.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Have an idea for your idea paper.

Get your idea paper approved.

Get the sample papers/graphs from your mentor.

Follow the format for your own idea.

Write your paper with the LAT1 skills you learned. :) (Make sure your idea has a bunch of case studies...you'll need those)

Turn in Tech Writing paper.

Redo Tech Writing paper to change tense and add about a page or two for capstone to show how you did your project and expected results.

Turn in Capstone.
    You can get a better idea of this by going back to around 8/1/2011 on this thread...that was the beginning of my last term and I know Tech Writing would have been the first class I'd have wanted to knock out. There were two others who had started as well. However the best thing you're gonna want are the sample papers the course mentor will give you upon request.

Happy hunting.

Thanks Erp!! icon_thumright.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    Taking ORC1 Tuesday. There will be 5 weeks left in this term. Will knock out MGC1 before the term ends. That will leave 5 courses for next term. I will be a college grad this year!!!!

icon_thumright.gif

WGU -

• Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    Taking ORC1 Tuesday. There will be 5 weeks left in this term. Will knock out MGC1 before the term ends. That will leave 5 courses for next term. I will be a college grad this year!!!!

icon_thumright.gif

My ORC1 is scheduled for Tuesday as well. Sounds like were on around the same pace. I will finish this year as well with my last term starting in June.
  • Options
    briandy81 wrote: »
    My ORC1 is scheduled for Tuesday as well. Sounds like were on around the same pace. I will finish this year as well with my last term starting in June.

Feels good huh! It has been a very tough journey, but very much worth it. All the hard work is not over yet. Have to finish strong.

WGU -

• Options
    So after almost 72 hours, my QLT1 task 5 came back complete. 6 to go. Submitted LUT1 task 2, and realized how crappy my upload speed really is. About 50% through IWT1 task 2, slow painful going. My wife works the next 3 days, but I go on call for a week starting Wednesday. Provided none of my tasks come back to me, I should be all set to start in on GAC1 studies, i'm not far off the cut score in the pre-assesments. Still trying to decide on a topic for tech/cap.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    So after almost 72 hours, my QLT1 task 5 came back complete. 6 to go. Submitted LUT1 task 2, and realized how crappy my upload speed really is. About 50% through IWT1 task 2, slow painful going. My wife works the next 3 days, but I go on call for a week starting Wednesday. Provided none of my tasks come back to me, I should be all set to start in on GAC1 studies, i'm not far off the cut score in the pre-assesments. Still trying to decide on a topic for tech/cap.

Nice job! Good news is that the grading for IWT1 is pretty lenient. I think it took me approximately a combined 4-5 hrs for all 3 tasks. You're close to your degree...finish strong!!icon_thumright.gif

WGU -

• Options
    natvnatv Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a question about the 'WGU Readiness Assessment' (actually two questions)

- For the essay writing part, does the essay need to be written in some particular essay style or is it just to make sure you can read and write English well? Back when I was in school I don't recall having to write any essays and I certainly don't know how to write in any particular style. Wondering if I should ready up on anything before I take this.

- For the math I heard it's pretty basic, but what does that mean exactly? Is there algebra or is it basically math you can use a calculator for?

Thanks
    Currently Working on: HHT1
    Courses
    Transferred/
    Completed at WGU:
    AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, BVC1, BNC1, DHV1, CSV1, DFV1, WFV1, BOV1, AXV1, CPV1, GAC1
    Courses Left to complete: B.S. IT,Security.
    QBT1, HHT1, INC1, INT1, CLC1, RIT1, DJV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, CTV1, CVV1, CJV1, CUV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, MGC1, RGT1

• Options
    natv wrote: »

- For the essay writing part, does the essay need to be written in some particular essay style or is it just to make sure you can read and write English well? Back when I was in school I don't recall having to write any essays and I certainly don't know how to write in any particular style. Wondering if I should ready up on anything before I take this.

- For the math I heard it's pretty basic, but what does that mean exactly? Is there algebra or is it basically math you can use a calculator for?

Thanks

I just wrote your typical 5 paragraph essay with your Introduction paragraph, 3 body paragraphs and a conclusion paragraph. They are just trying to see if you can structure a simple essay, use complete sentences and use proper grammar and punctuation really. They really aren't looking for much on this. Just that you can write a BASIC essay.

The math was pretty easy from what I can remember. Dont think there was any full fledge algebra on it, maybe some pre-algebra type stuff on it. Google, and a calculator will help you through it if you get stuck anywhere.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    natv wrote: »

Thanks

It was 10 years since I last took a math class so I couldn't remember most of the things on the assessment. One hint... Google :)
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    LUT1 is done! Submitted task 2 for IWT1 last night. Think i've got a pretty solid tech/cap idea as well. Need to run it by my mentor however.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So, I've been in limbo for several months due to tuition assistance issues and my daughter's medical issues.

Initially, I was slated to start in February or March; however, since I was electing to use tuition assistance from the military, they required me to get a transcript from a community college I attended in 94. But I never ever completed any courses there.

After getting the transcript, I had to resubmit for TA. However, this time the military wouldn't pay because I already had a bachelor's degree.

Now, I'm waiting to hear from the scholarship department before putting down any money. They required I submit a resume, file an application (that contained essays) and get a letter of recommendation.

The sucky part is, regardless of how many scholarships I qualify for, they only allow students to receive one versus stacking them (not to say you can't get one from outside the school).

I just want to get this show on the road, so I can move toward my masters.
  • Options
    Feels good huh! It has been a very tough journey, but very much worth it. All the hard work is not over yet. Have to finish strong.

It definitely feels good! It's hard work and a long journey but like you said its all worth it.

Passed ORC1 not to long ago, how did yours go?
  • Options
    briandy81 wrote: »
    It definitely feels good! It's hard work and a long journey but like you said its all worth it.

Passed ORC1 not to long ago, how did yours go?

ORC1, as of 15 minutes ago, is done!! icon_thumright.gif

WGU -

• Options
    So, I've been in limbo for several months due to tuition assistance issues and my daughter's medical issues.

Initially, I was slated to start in February or March; however, since I was electing to use tuition assistance from the military, they required me to get a transcript from a community college I attended in 94. But I never ever completed any courses there.

After getting the transcript, I had to resubmit for TA. However, this time the military wouldn't pay because I already had a bachelor's degree.

Now, I'm waiting to hear from the scholarship department before putting down any money. They required I submit a resume, file an application (that contained essays) and get a letter of recommendation.

The sucky part is, regardless of how many scholarships I qualify for, they only allow students to receive one versus stacking them (not to say you can't get one from outside the school).

I just want to get this show on the road, so I can move toward my masters.

I hope everything works out for you!!

WGU -

• Options
    Guys, how is LET1?

WGU -

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I hope everything works out for you!!
    Thanks, I hope to join everyone in posting about their class experiences and asking for help. I love Swild's thread, as it maps almost exactly to the classes I have to take to get my degree (except for his Capstone and Technical writing assignments). And natv, I wouldn't worry about taking the Readiness Assessment. I hadn't taken math since 1995 or 6 and managed to pass it. As someone said, for some of it, just use Google. And for the essay, just write three to five paragraphs with an opening, thesis and conclusion.
  • Options
    Guys, how is LET1?

Depends on how quickly you write, I think I finished up 2 tasks each night when doing that class. Shouldn't take you long at all.

On another note, submitted my proposal for TWA1, although I did already gain verbal approval from my mentor earlier today.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Guys, how is LET1?

Get the textbook. That is the only class you need it for. Not sure if they have e-book or what not, but you really do need the textbook. After that it's pretty much read and answer questions.
  • Options
    Scored an 88% on the MGC1 pre-assessment. I thought it would have been harder than the ORC1. My project + training and job really helped there. I was truly surprised!!!

WGU -

• Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Anyone have a female mentor with the intials D.W.? Just curious if WGU hires convicted felons now. Doesn't matter much to me one way or the other, but it would be interesting to find out.
  • Options
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Anyone have a female mentor with the intials D.W.? Just curious if WGU hires convicted felons now. Doesn't matter much to me one way or the other, but it would be interesting to find out.

Nope, my mentor's initials are E.G., although a female. My prior mentor was promoted and is now a Boss :D.

WGU -

• Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Get the textbook. That is the only class you need it for. Not sure if they have e-book or what not, but you really do need the textbook. After that it's pretty much read and answer questions.

WGU will give you access to the Course Smart eBook for ORC1 (LET1 uses the same text book). erpadmin gave me some great advice, and I wrote the essays prior to the start of my 2nd term. The essays took me about 2 weeks to complete due to work / family / etc. I submitted them on Day 1 of Term 2 and they were accepted within 3 days. I had scheduled MGC1 on day 1 as well, and within the first 2 weeks of Term 2 I had 8 CU's completed.
  • Options
    WGU will give you access to the Course Smart eBook for ORC1 (LET1 uses the same text book). erpadmin gave me some great advice, and I wrote the essays prior to the start of my 2nd term. The essays took me about 2 weeks to complete due to work / family / etc. I submitted them on Day 1 of Term 2 and they were accepted within 3 days. I had scheduled MGC1 on day 1 as well, and within the first 2 weeks of Term 2 I had 8 CU's completed.

Good to know. Yes, Erp is a very resourceful guy.

WGU -

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Scored an 88% on the MGC1 pre-assessment. I thought it would have been harder than the ORC1. My project + training and job really helped there. I was truly surprised!!!

Nice. I found that doing BNC1>MGC1>TPV1 works well. There are a lot of concepts that are in all 3 courses.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Anyone have any tips for task 2 of KET1? Or links that would be helpful? I finally struggled my way through task 1 and that wonderful tutor wage project. Thanks for the help on that one.
    WGU grad
  • Options

Nice!!!

I just did mine today and scored a 51 percent lmao. Never touched this stuff in my life though. I have my assessment scheduled for next Tuesday. Pretty much going to follow the same preparation as I did for ORC1.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Anyone have any tips for task 2 of KET1? Or links that would be helpful? I finally struggled my way through task 1 and that wonderful tutor wage project. Thanks for the help on that one.

An excellent source for that class is Java for Programmers by Deitel. There are really good code examples of everything you will need for that task and Task 4 of KFT1. My 2nd choice would be the reference book by Oracle. A lot of people like Head First Java, but it wasn't for me.