Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    I started my Masters today. I... I'm still trying to catch my breath on the task stream instructions for the first task. "Your submission can be in ANY format (report, presentation, etc)".... And it goes on to be one of the most concise and easy to follow taskstream instructions I've seen from WGU. Some reason I don't have to take the Org behavior class but that's fine. Starting with risk management. 33 CU to go!
    which masters did ya go with
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    MS: IT Network Management. Seems pretty fun. Reading through the COS one class is about creating a network diagram. Then just describing why you did what you did, would it work, etc.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Task 2 completed for Human Resource Management and only on my 3rd try! Didn't someone say this was the easiest course?!?

Anyway I've been reading the information for Task 3 and should be read to put pen to paper in a few days. I already have some notes created and a lot of my references captured.

A big part of my problem is me being into IT so much that when I get home I tend to focus on VM labs or VBA or whatever I feel like doing that night.
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    MGC1 is done!!icon_thumright.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    MGC1 is done!!icon_thumright.gif

Cool. It was probably cake after Project+ and ORC1
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Cool. It was probably cake after Project+ and ORC1

Yeah. I didn't study one bit for it.

WGU -

• Options
    steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    Okay, here's a question for everyone. WGU recently changed the database curriculum to MS-SQL. Formerly, it was Oracle DB. I am at a crossroads because I don't know which path I should take. Any recommendations?
  • Options
    Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    98-349 knocked out, planning on knocking out 98-363 and the CIW Web Technologies by first week of June. That leaves all of the months of June and July left over. With what's planned for term 2, I don't really want to start much else in those two month because it's pretty heavy duty stuff. I was thinking about scoring the Linux + cert as a bonus with that time left over, or maybe doing the Windows 7 Configuring and that at the same time. Not sure. So, three questions, or groups of questions:

1) If I start working towards the Linux + now, which doesn't seem terrifically hard on it's own, would studying for that as well as Windows 7 Configuring be doable?
    2) Pretty sure I know the answer on this, but the best way to study for Linux + is to just dive in and use it daily, correct? I can set up for a dual boot on this computer and have no trouble doing that.
    3) Is Linux + even worth it? I keep wanting to do it, if merely for the challenge of it, but want to make sure I'm not wasting my time on it.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• Options
    fendralfendral Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So, day 1 at WGU, have all tasks submitted to Taskstream for KET1 (yay previous work experience with Java)
    now I get to do the Taskstream waiting game for the very first time!
    B.S. IT - Security : Transferred|Required|In Progress|Completed
    LAE1 AGC1 BBC1 CNV1 AXV1 CPV1 DJV1 INT1 COV1 CQV1 QLT1 BVC1 (39CU)
    TPV1 CSV1 SBT1 RGT1 (17CU)
    KFT1 RIT1 IWT1 (9CU)
    CLC1 KET1 CTV1 WFV1 MGC1 CVV1 INC1 LUT1 CUV1 BOV1 DFV1 CJV1 BNC1 DHV1 IWC1 HHT1 GAC1 QBT1 (57CU)
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    I just had my first major disappointment with WGU. I just started to study for AHV1 (70-640) luckily I enrolled in the LR when my term started, but starting yesterday they switched to the MOAC MS IT academy virtual lab and the WileyPLUS course book. There has been 0 communication announcing the change (no email & nothing in the pitiful communities). Hell if I didn't look again into the course of study I would of kept using Labsim (which I actually like).

What are other peoples thoughts about the past LR (testout's labsim)? I may ask my mentor to give me access for the four MS test if he can. I understand it may not go fully into the appropriate depth for each topic but I already have the unleashed 2008 r2 book to compensate for it.
  • Options
    erwinlerwinl Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    steelodon wrote: »
    Okay, here's a question for everyone. WGU recently changed the database curriculum to MS-SQL. Formerly, it was Oracle DB. I am at a crossroads because I don't know which path I should take. Any recommendations?

im still deciding enrollment but i wanted to ask you which specific class touches on MS SQL and or Oracle? thanks
  • Options
    KeithC wrote: »
    I just had my first major disappointment with WGU. I just started to study for AHV1 (70-640) luckily I enrolled in the LR when my term started, but starting yesterday they switched to the MOAC MS IT academy virtual lab and the WileyPLUS course book. There has been 0 communication announcing the change (no email & nothing in the pitiful communities). Hell if I didn't look again into the course of study I would of kept using Labsim (which I actually like).

What are other peoples thoughts about the past LR (testout's labsim)? I may ask my mentor to give me access for the four MS test if he can. I understand it may not go fully into the appropriate depth for each topic but I already have the unleashed 2008 r2 book to compensate for it.

I liked LabSim for the MS exams. The "facts" from LabSim make good study notes. I'd heard there were some changes coming down the pipe earlier.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471

Labsim was OK for just some generic overview stuff. The notes section is pretty good. The labs they have you work through are pretty basic and not a ton of help. I purchased CBT Nuggets on my own and found it to be a much better resource.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164

Is the MOAC course updated to include all the R2 content? I am in the 70-640 course now, but attending community college, and there is no R2 content at all. While it is good for the basics... The virtual labs don't fully prepare you for the certification test.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    Krones wrote: »
    Is the MOAC course updated to include all the R2 content? I am in the 70-640 course now, but attending community college, and there is no R2 content at all. While it is good for the basics... The virtual labs don't fully prepare you for the certification test.

Yes the MOAC text ISBN: 978-0-470-22509-7 has a additional document for R2 for each chapter that leaves a lot of open space. It's a link at the bottom called content update and it's ~2-3 pages only.

I already wasted a hour this morning trying to get through the virtual labs but it would not launch. I feel like a Guinea pig with these changes in the learning resources.
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Yes the MOAC text ISBN: 978-0-470-22509-7 has a additional document for R2 for each chapter that leaves a lot of open space. It's a link at the bottom called content update and it's ~2-3 pages only.

I already wasted a hour this morning trying to get through the virtual labs but it would not launch. I feel like a Guinea pig with these changes in the learning resources.

This is a silly question, but what browser were you trying to launch the labs with? I can only get the labs to connect with Internet Explorer. I am using the same text. I am not sure if this is a good move for WGU, but I have no experience with the Labsim material and which one is the better curriculum between the two. Technet will fill in the holes.

If you have not already, definitely setup a VM lab for your own testing purposes. One problem I had with the IT Academy labs is I that I follow the directions to a T. So, I learn how to follow directions but not necessarily the content if that makes any sense. You can repeat the labs though but this is what I loathe about traditional school format and look forward to working at my own pace with WGU. The labs are pretty much fail proof but the certification test certainly is not. I also of course recommend the CBT Nuggets videos if you do want some visual aids and lecture to go along with your studies.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    Krones wrote: »
    This is a silly question, but what browser were you trying to launch the labs with? I can only get the labs to connect with Internet Explorer. I am using the same text. I am not sure if this is a good move for WGU, but I have no experience with the Labsim material and which one is the better curriculum between the two. Technet will fill in the holes.

If you have not already, definitely setup a VM lab for your own testing purposes. One problem I had with the IT Academy labs is I that I follow the directions to a T. So, I learn how to follow directions but not necessarily the content if that makes any sense. You can repeat the labs though but this is what I loathe about traditional school format and look forward to working at my own pace with WGU. The labs are pretty much fail proof but the certification test certainly is not. I also of course recommend the CBT Nuggets videos if you do want some visual aids and lecture to go along with your studies.

I was able to access the virtual labs at work (I think they are a waste for me and if somebody isn't familiar with Server could get lost quick), but at home using IE9, 64 bit, w/o add-ons produced the same result which I could care less about. I have my lab already setup with hyper-v installed at home.

I have used Labsim for the network+, security+, 70-680 & 70-297 I just do not want to waste time reading a book when I would rather use Labsim.
  • Options
    natvnatv Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys,

Jumping on the bandwagon!

I'm going to be enrolling in the IT Security Bachelor program. I finally got my transfer evaluation from WGU. I was hoping more credits would transfer over but here is the list of the classes I'll have to take:

QBT1 (3) Language and Communication: Research
    GAC1 (2) Finite Mathematics
    HHT1 (2) Finite Mathematics Applications
    INC1 (4) Integrated Natural Sciences
    INT1 (4) Integrated Natural Sciences Applications
    CLC1 (3) Reasoning and Problem Solving
    RIT1 (3) Leadership Concepts and Applications
    WFV1 (3) IT Fundamentals I
    AXV1 (4) IT Fundamentals II
    CPV1 (4) IT Fundamentals III
    DFV1 (3) Web Development Fundamentals
    BOV1 (4) Web Programming
    DJV1 (4) Software Development Fundamentals
    KET1 (4) Introduction to Programming
    KFT1 (4) Object Oriented Design and Development
    TPV1 (6) Project Management
    CTV1 (4) Security
    CVV1 (3) Database Fundamentals
    CJV1 (4) Database I
    CUV1 (4) Web Technologies
    COV1 (3) Fundamentals of Interconnecting Network Devices
    CQV1 (3) Interconnecting Network Devices
    CNV1 (4) Designing Customized Security
    82 credits total

Couple of questions hoping I can get some advice on...

- Finite Math - eeeek!! I was hoping I wouldn't have to take any math. My last math class was almost 20 years ago (Calculus 1, and I had to take it twice). Anyone have any feedback on these two Finite Math classes? (especially for someone who does *not* learn math well). I started to read up on what "Finite Math" actually is... it doesn't seem that it's like calculus or anything I've done (or seen) before...

- Any advice for structuring my semesters? From reading the forums I see that some people like to knock out the "easy" classes as fast as they can / first (whatever is easy for everyone is different of course). For me, the A+, Security+, Web fundamentals, Web design, and Javascript will be a short study (in fact I'm going to request to just do a pre-assessment and then get a voucher for all of these)

Do you think that instead of getting these over as quickly as possible, I should spread them out so that I can balance the more challenging courses with 1-2 of the easy ones each semester? That way I can spend more time on what is more challenging for me.

- Lastly, and I'm going to ask my enrollment counselor about this too the next time we speak, but I added up all the credits that are listed as "Transfer" or "RS - Requirement Satisfied" (which work out to 29 credits), and I added up the list above of all the classes listed I need to take (those listed as "Not Met") and I'm not getting a total of 122 credits.

I added up 29 credits that will transfer in, and the above list adds up to 82 credits..... This is a total of 111 credits (but the program is 122 credits).

Does anyone have any ideas about that?

Thanks guys

Nat
    Currently Working on: HHT1
    Courses
    Transferred/
    Completed at WGU:
    AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, BVC1, BNC1, DHV1, CSV1, DFV1, WFV1, BOV1, AXV1, CPV1, GAC1
    Courses Left to complete: B.S. IT,Security.
    QBT1, HHT1, INC1, INT1, CLC1, RIT1, DJV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, CTV1, CVV1, CJV1, CUV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, MGC1, RGT1

• Options
    fendralfendral Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    natv wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm going to be enrolling in the IT Security Bachelor program. I finally got my transfer evaluation from WGU. I was hoping more credits would transfer over but here is the list of the classes I'll have to take:

BOV1 (4) Web Programming
    CTV1 (4) Security
    CJV1 (4) Database I
    82 credits total

- Lastly, and I'm going to ask my enrollment counselor about this too the next time we speak, but I added up all the credits that are listed as "Transfer" or "RS - Requirement Satisfied" (which work out to 29 credits), and I added up the list above of all the classes listed I need to take (those listed as "Not Met") and I'm not getting a total of 122 credits.

I added up 29 credits that will transfer in, and the above list adds up to 82 credits..... This is a total of 111 credits (but the program is 122 credits).

Thanks guys

Nat

Nat, good luck with your program, I just started the same this week.

Here is what I see missing from your required classes:
    The biggest ones missing are Technical Writing (SBT1 3CU) and the capstone (RGT1 4CU) these don't transfer, so there is 7 missing CUs

The other 4 credits will be trickier to track down. Judging by what you have listed as being needed, here is what I see you as having transferred:

LUT1 2CU
    DHV1 3CU
    CSV1 4CU
    BNC1 3CU
    IWC1 2CU
    IWT1 2CU
    MGC1 4CU
    AGC1 3CU
    BBC1 2CU
    LAE1 2CU
    QLT1 3CU
    BVC1 3CU

if one of those isn't on your transferred or requirements met list, then I would think that would be the culprit.
    B.S. IT - Security : Transferred|Required|In Progress|Completed
    LAE1 AGC1 BBC1 CNV1 AXV1 CPV1 DJV1 INT1 COV1 CQV1 QLT1 BVC1 (39CU)
    TPV1 CSV1 SBT1 RGT1 (17CU)
    KFT1 RIT1 IWT1 (9CU)
    CLC1 KET1 CTV1 WFV1 MGC1 CVV1 INC1 LUT1 CUV1 BOV1 DFV1 CJV1 BNC1 DHV1 IWC1 HHT1 GAC1 QBT1 (57CU)
  • Options
    natvnatv Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ah thanks Fendral! This must be the missing course then:

Principles of Management - MGC1 4CU

Wasn't anywhere in my evaluation. Hmm.... I wonder why it's missing.

Thanks for checking on that for me! Good luck too in the program. I hope to start in June.

Nat

Currently Working on: HHT1
    Courses
    Transferred/
    Completed at WGU:
    AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, BVC1, BNC1, DHV1, CSV1, DFV1, WFV1, BOV1, AXV1, CPV1, GAC1
    Courses Left to complete: B.S. IT,Security.
    QBT1, HHT1, INC1, INT1, CLC1, RIT1, DJV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, CTV1, CVV1, CJV1, CUV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, MGC1, RGT1

• Options
    natv wrote: »
    Hi guys,

BOV1 (4) Web Programming
    CTV1 (4) Security
    CJV1 (4) Database I
    82 credits total

Couple of questions hoping I can get some advice on...

- Finite Math - eeeek!! I was hoping I wouldn't have to take any math. My last math class was almost 20 years ago (Calculus 1, and I had to take it twice). Anyone have any feedback on these two Finite Math classes? (especially for someone who does *not* learn math well). I started to read up on what "Finite Math" actually is... it doesn't seem that it's like calculus or anything I've done (or seen) before...

- Any advice for structuring my semesters? From reading the forums I see that some people like to knock out the "easy" classes as fast as they can / first (whatever is easy for everyone is different of course). For me, the A+, Security+, Web fundamentals, Web design, and Javascript will be a short study (in fact I'm going to request to just do a pre-assessment and then get a voucher for all of these)

Do you think that instead of getting these over as quickly as possible, I should spread them out so that I can balance the more challenging courses with 1-2 of the easy ones each semester? That way I can spend more time on what is more challenging for me.

Thanks guys

Nat

I don't see your Capstone course listed as a course you need to complete. That alone is 9 CU's. That may be the majority of your discrepancy. As far as Finite Math, you will need to apply yourself diligently.

Best of luck in your studies!icon_thumright.gif

WGU -

• Options
    rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    steelodon wrote: »
    They changed from Oracle to MS quite a while ago. For a long time they had been incorrectly listing Oracle certs instead of MS SQL certs. This was a concern of mine as well when I first started enrolling at WGU, too. I was scared that I would be missing the opportunity of learning Oracle which seemed like a bigger name and better cert. But after I talked to some developers and database admins at my work, they said learning one makes it extremely easy to learn the other later. If you are interested in databases and programming, then go for the databases emphasis. If you want to be any kind of systems admin, even dba, go with other tracks.

I actually now agree with Erpadmin in that most people should just stick with the generic IT degree and get certifications in their area of interest after finishing. I wish I had done that.
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking
  • Options
    echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115

Dammmmit. I just finished AHV1 (70-640), using Labsim and am trying to start AIV1 (70-642). My resources didn't become available until May 1 - so no Labsim available. I've emailed my mentor and the course mentor already.
  • Options
    echo465 wrote: »
    Dammmmit. I just finished AHV1 (70-640), using Labsim and am trying to start AIV1 (70-642). My resources didn't become available until May 1 - so no Labsim available. I've emailed my mentor and the course mentor already.

That's exactly how I feel I might actually prefer to use LabSim shrug I guess I'll email both also.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Risk management! Anyone else take this course yet? At first I thought it would be an easy paper. Nope... I'm on page 9 already. And that is just the first part of the assignment. I'm probably looking at 20 pages once done plus a power point presentation. This masters is going to be killer.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Risk management! Anyone else take this course yet? At first I thought it would be an easy paper. Nope... I'm on page 9 already. And that is just the first part of the assignment. I'm probably looking at 20 pages once done plus a power point presentation. This masters is going to be killer.

Keep at it, man. :) By the time you reach your capstone/thesis/oral defense, etc, you would have been a pro at writing. If anyone can do it, I know you can. :)
  • Options
    echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    That's exactly how I feel I might actually prefer to use LabSim shrug I guess I'll email both also.
    I spoke with the course mentor on the phone today. During the conversation, he suggested that I find some Youtube videos if I want video training.

What the literal flying ****?icon_thumright.gif

So that means the WGU resources that I will be using (as of right now) are..... the moral support and encouragement of my mentor! Not sure that's worth $6k a year.
  • Options
    removed unnecessary quote

I am not too worried about it. I spoke to my mentor and he eased my concerns of how much investigation was placed into the change. The course mentor suggest I use the new LR instead of Labsim.

Maybe you need a new mentor but I'm paying to earn my Bachelor's degree.
  • Options
    echo465 wrote:
    I spoke with the course mentor on the phone today. ...snip....

Some of the course mentors for the Microsoft courses are a total joke. Most of the advice I received from them was to google it, answer the pre-exam questions "correctly" and follow the COS.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    removed unnecessary quote

Technet and labbing like a mad-man are your friends.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.