Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    reading about ya'll walking is making me more excited to get started. I begin April 1st.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    My issue actually was the level of difficulty not being high enough. For a cert that is $600 bucks on its own, part of the DOD 8570 requirements for certain positions, and has the term of hacker used in its title, I just expected more from it. I built up a VM lab and started running a lot of the attacks that I found in the study material, used the tools that the official iLab materials cover, and spent quite a few hours studying further in depth, I just expected it to be considerably more difficult. Not to say that I regret over-studying, it'll help when I want to do ecppt or OSCP. I just figured a cert in a masters degree would be harder than a comptia test. icon_scratch.gif

Maybe i'm expecting a bit much out of it, oh well, on to the next!

I'm surprised to hear anyone compare it to CompTIA certs. Then again, you did over-study for it. I'll take solace in knowing it won't be as arduous as the CISSP exam. Still, I'll make sure I'm well prepared for it. Thanks again! icon_thumright.gif
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    coty24 wrote: »
    I saw talked to you @demonfurbie but not @nolaj; where were you? I thought we talked loud enough about TE for everyone to hear lol

I walked too! My wife says they missed me on the jumbotron lol

I was 3rd from last when they conferred the degrees. I was one of the one's who was "discussing" how WGU messed up our program specifics...i.e.Network Admin, Network management, etc...
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
    Bundiman wrote: »
    reading about ya'll walking is making me more excited to get started. I begin April 1st.

Welcome and good luck!! icon_thumright.gif

WGU -

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ amcnow

Thanks for the nice work!

How is your security masters going?
    I just turned in the second of four tasks for TFT2.

There's been a few bumps in the road. First term, it was CCENT. This term, it's family. With that said, I'm still on track to graduate in May 2014.
    Aristotle wrote:
    Keep pumping!! I'm looking to start the MBA program next month or 3 icon_thumright.gif

WGU -

• BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    Will a CISSP cert earn me any credits toward a BS IT Security?
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your CISSP would give you credit towards the CTV1 (Security+) cert. With your current certs, you'd have a lot of certs to transfer in, saving quite a bit of time.

http://www.wgu.edu/admissions/it_certifications
  • AmonixAmonix Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Got my transcript evaluation done today. Was kind of surprised at some of the items they took and didn't take. For example I laughed at BBC1. To transfer it said "One course in English". I laughed and said all my classes were in english I didn't take spanish classes. :-p Anyway took some off what I needed and in all honesty more than I thought. I still think exemptions should be allowed for those of us that have our A+ Lifetime certs. We did have an adaptive test to pass.

Looking forward to starting March 1.
  • NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Registered for my first exam WFV1, had some issues scheduling it with my closest facility which suddenly stopped having any available appointments and had to select a new location. Very excited!
    Nemowolf wrote: »
    Registered for my first exam WFV1, had some issues scheduling it with my closest facility which suddenly stopped having any available appointments and had to select a new location. Very excited!

Nice!! Knock it out!!icon_thumright.gif

WGU -

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    youll get it nemo
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just passed my first class at WGU. WFV1. It is time to get studying on the next.
  • niadoniado Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,
    I am in my second semester at WGU in the MSISA. I have been very satisfied with the experience so far.

I had planned to finish in 2 terms, but I had some unanticipated things come up last term and only completed 3 courses in the end. My current term ends June 30, how hard do you guys think it would be to finish everything this semester...? I have LOT2, LKT2, TFT2, and COV2 (transferred) completed. I'm almost done with VUT2 and should be ready to take the CEH by the end of the month.
    You should give yourself at least 2 terms to finish. I have no doubt you can knock out the performance assessments. However, squeezing CEH, CHFI, G2700, and the capstone into this term will be very tough if not impossible. This is especially true if you're employed.
    Aristotle wrote:
  • niadoniado Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice! I do work full-time though things I have some time to study at work.

What is the capstone like? How much time would be a realistic expectation to put into it?
    I'm also in my second term for MSISA. I can't comment on the capstone from personal experience because I've yet to take it. From looking at the course introduction, WGU recommends 16-18 weeks. However, many people seem to beat the time expectations set by WGU for their courses.

Even if you gave yourself a month each for FNV2 (CEH), FMV2 (CHFI), FYV2 (G2700), and LQT2 (Capstone), you would still need to contend with JIT2, FXT2, and FYT2.
    Aristotle wrote:
    Exciting to see all the progress in this thread! This cheers me up from time to time, it's really nice to see this community moving forward.
    I seem to have a habit of submitting a big **** of posts in a given day followed by a weeks- or months-long hiatus. Gotta love my sporadic posting...

Anyway, TFT2 Task 2 just passed. So I'll concurrently study for CEH while finishing the rest of this course. I was thinking about just using the EC-Council materials provided by WGU. However, I will instead use those as supplemental materials to the CEH Certified Ethical Hacker All-in-One Exam Guide: Matt Walker: 9780071772297: Amazon.com: Books because I've seen many people recommend it throughout the Tech Exams community.
    Aristotle wrote:
  • foofightersfoofighters Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Passed the 70-680 exam this past weekend, I write the exam for MGC1 on Wednesday evening.
  • CenturionMarioCenturionMario Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If anyone here has had experience with these courses, can you rank the level of difficulty for these courses? How long would it take to finish each course if you put in 6-8 hours per day?

Database Fundamentals
    Software Development Fundamentals
    Web Development Fundamentals
    Web Technologies
    Windows OS Fundamentals
    Windows Server Admin Fundamentals
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    @amcnow all you need is that book, it really is that simple of a test. Looking at your cert history, you shouldn't have any issues at all with it.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
    Thanks @Hypntick. That is reassuring.
    Aristotle wrote:
  • cyberknifecyberknife Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    icon_study.gifHello All:

I am glad I found this wonderful forum. I am about to start (March 1st) MSISA @ WGU. Any advise/suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I already have a CCNA cert. I am supposed to take LKT2, LOT2, TFT2 for the first term. I was wondering if any of these courses have certification exam. I would like to srtart studying for these courses now. Thanks and nice meeting you all!!!!!!!!
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Finished my third class so far. I asked my mentor to open and schedule the two A+ classes while i finish my study for ccent and he said for me to take the preassessments for them and he will open and schedule them. So far 3/4 of my original classes are gone and i know im not ready for ccent just yet. Wondering if another mentor would matter, I mean i told him i was going to schedule it out at least two weeks or so. Anyways congrats to all who have graduated and passed classes recently.
    Done with this semester (Still have 1 month left). I have two more courses, (Capstone and Financial Analysis) I am starting on Task 1 right now going through the Accounting DVD from BYU and then moving into the actual task. I just recently accepted a new job so I will be running through some Excel courses on Lynda.com to make sure I polish some of the rust off.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @cyberknife - your only certification exams for the MSISA will be: FNV2 (C|EH), FMV2 (C|HFI), and FYV2 (GIAC G-2700). The rest are performance assessments.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    Nice!! Knock it out!!icon_thumright.gif
    youll get it nemo

I successfully passed WFV1 with an 85% The questions were not exactly what i expected from the practice tests and included some material i dont recall ever reading but still scored much better than expected.

93% on IBA
    80% on SDA
    84% on NTA

Coming into the class with no HTML experience since the late 90s was definitely a bit of a disadvantage.
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366