Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• geekoncallgeekoncall Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Guys, I am almost done with WGU Bachelors. On April 26th, I have BDC1 exam and then only 3 certification courses needed plus capstone to complete degree. Some one please suggested in which order ( easy to difficult) should I take these three certifications?

TPV1 - Project Management
    WFV1- IT Fundamentals
    CWV1- Network Fundamentals

Thanks.
    WGU BSB-IT Progress: Date Started: 2013/03/01
    Working ON: Completed Bachelor :). Thinking for MBA
    Project+, CIW Web Associate, MTA Network Associate
    Transferred/Completed: AGC1, BBC1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, INC1, BVC1, LIT1, EST1, FNT1, MKC1, MKT1, MGC1, QAT1, EGT1,LAE1, LUT1, BNC1, LWC1, INT1, QBT1, EGC1, FNC1, CLC1, IWC1, RWT1, BDC1, IWT1, TPV1, CWV1, WFV1, QFT1, PFIT
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    geekoncall wrote: »
    Guys, I am almost done with WGU Bachelors. On April 26th, I have BDC1 exam and then only 3 certification courses needed plus capstone to complete degree. Some one please suggested in which order ( easy to difficult) should I take these three certifications?

TPV1 - Project Management
    WFV1- IT Fundamentals
    CWV1- Network Fundamentals

Thanks.

in that order will be good

little to no overlap in those classes
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    [FONT=&quot]Dropping their Regional Accreditation doesn’t make sense. Dropping their National Accreditation…who cares…..[/FONT]
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    coffeeluvr wrote: »
    [FONT=&amp]Dropping their Regional Accreditation doesn’t make sense. Dropping their National Accreditation…who cares…..[/FONT]

I was going to sign up for July 1st start but I need them to officially clarify what changes they are making before I commit.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • ITdude84ITdude84 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I was going to sign up for July 1st start but I need them to officially clarify what changes they are making before I commit.

Exact same Boat, after what I was told and now they are dropping the "national" certification and keeping the original... I ended up calling back and talked to 4 different people (to get a common ground) and they stated they are keeping the regional. They said they are up for review here soon on the regional accreditation part, I asked if anything is going to change, and he stated "not to the best of my knowledge" to me thats not a definite answer...
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Generally, like any company... the people who answer phones and talk to outward facing customers don't know the high ranking decision making choices.

My wife went to a all girls college, that lost it's accreditation and closed. It's never been mentioned once at any of her interviews or jobs that she's gotten, and makes decent money as a certified personal trainer for several gyms and fitness centers.

Just a check mark to me....
    nosoup4u wrote: »
    Generally, like any company... the people who answer phones and talk to outward facing customers don't know the high ranking decision making choices.

My wife went to a all girls college, that lost it's accreditation and closed. It's never been mentioned once at any of her interviews or jobs that she's gotten, and makes decent money as a certified personal trainer for several gyms and fitness centers.

Just a check mark to me....

I can't agree with that. While I would say ok fine for the field your wife works in, I think for IT and especially with high end jobs, that would be a huge blow I'd think. I can also say for me personally after already having overpaid for my AS from a crappy school (that doesn't even have the campus I went to anymore) and I think the degree is worthless so I dont list it, and hence why I went back and got my AA and went to UF, I'm being overly cautious about my next move.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    Regional Accreditation is the gold standard. DETC/national accreditation is a lesser body. They use to accredit correspondence and trade schools but have expanded in the last decade or so. It is unusual to be accredited by both bodies. It makes total sense to drop the DETC accreditation as there is cost involved.
  • thegoodbyethegoodbye Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ITdude84 wrote: »
    Exact same Boat, after what I was told and now they are dropping the "national" certification and keeping the original... I ended up calling back and talked to 4 different people (to get a common ground) and they stated they are keeping the regional. They said they are up for review here soon on the regional accreditation part, I asked if anything is going to change, and he stated "not to the best of my knowledge" to me thats not a definite answer...
    These accreditation reviews happen every few years, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. You won't get a definite answer to this question, as the review hasn't been done yet... . According to the NWCCU (the accrediting body), the review won't happen until Fall 2013, so you won't have any information for quite a while. The previous review appears to have occurred in 2011. See - All NWCCU Institutions
  • nerdinhidingnerdinhiding Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My enrollment counselor is marcell as well. He told me that they are dropping regional accreditation and going with national only. I hope he is wrong. But that is what I was told.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My enrollment counselor is marcell as well. He told me that they are dropping regional accreditation and going with national only. I hope he is wrong. But that is what I was told.

There needs to be an official, unified answer. I asked my couselor (not Marcell) and she told me they are regional and linked me to their accreditation page. Looking at that page I don't see national listed there.
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    There needs to be an official, unified answer.

Couldnt agree more. This is going to affect decisions for people, myself included.
  • ITdude84ITdude84 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□

Here is a email he sent me today, as I asked him the question directly: ( I changed the personal name info for privacy on both ends)

Hello WGU,

Thank you for the email. It was a pleasure speaking with you yesterday. Yes, WGU is accredited Nationally and no longer Regionally. WGU by choice dropped the regional by choice. I hope this answers your question. Thank you again and I look forward to speaking with you again. Have a great night!

Sincerely,
    Marcel
    Enrollment Counselor
    Western Governors University
    4001 South 700 East, Suite 700
    Salt Lake City, UT 84107

My question:

" Marcel,

I had a quick question for you, as far as accreditation is concerned you stated you are nationally accredited right? no longer regional?

Thanks,

WGU"

See what I am saying? this is why we need to know and future students.....
    I think Marcel has his head up his butt. I think he believes National is better than Regional because he is uninformed. If you knew nothing about accreditation you would think so from the titles. Yes we need an answer from someone in management and yes Marcel needs a dressing down. Just my opinion.
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I think he's full o' nonsense.

This is from an entrance letter I just recieved:
    WGU xx’s degree programs are regionally accredited through our parent institution, Western Governors University. Regional accreditation is awarded by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).

They don't even mention their national accreditation anywhere, but I wouldn't expect them to because it's worthless.

And then the verbage on their site:
    Western Governors University is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, one of the major accrediting commissions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
    Regional accreditation is considered the highest form of accreditation given to institutions. The Northwest Commission is also responsible for the accreditation of other major institutions such as the University of Washington, University of Oregon, Gonzaga University, University of Utah, University of Idaho, and Brigham Young University, to name just a few.

Someone needs to be fired. Either Marcel for spreading FUD to multiple people or the people responsible for updating the web site and the materials, because if they're planning/already dropped regional accreditation then their site needs to stop with the verbiage.
    DETC/National accreditation isn't worthless but is definitely back seat to Regional accreditation and there simply is little reason to spend money on it when WGU holds Regional accreditation like all major universities.
  • SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    From what Scott told me is they had a "IT" meeting a couple of days ago and one of the topics was WGU dropping the national accreditation since it is expensive and the regional one is better.
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cisc0kidd wrote: »
    I think Marcel has his head up his butt. I think he believes National is better than Regional because he is uninformed. If you knew nothing about accreditation you would think so from the titles. Yes we need an answer from someone in management and yes Marcel needs a dressing down. Just my opinion.

Agree 100%......WGU needs to make a formal statement to clear up all of the BS!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • milieumilieu Member Posts: 41 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's what I think as well. Someone, maybe Marcel, or maybe whoever told it to him, has confused national and regional accreditation.

It just makes no sense that they would drop regional. First of all, it doesn't expire until Fall 2013, so there's no real reason to be making that decision now. Second, someone mentioned that it might not be their decision. That's true, but that's not normally how accreditation works. They don't just yank it at the drop of a hat. A college would be placed in a probationary status, and given time to fix it. And there is absolutely no evidence of this.

Finally, dropping regional accreditation would be suicide for the school. It would be like the Seattle Mariners deciding, well, this MLB thing isn't so great, we're going to drop it and join a different baseball league. It simply would not happen because it is the entire basis of their business model.
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Ok, take this with a grain of salt, I just spoke to my (not Marcel) enrollment counselor who said they are dropping the national accreditation but the regional is here to stay. I told him a bunch of us were freaked out because they are being told that regional accreditation was being dropped. He said that made no sense and that the school worked hard to attain the regional.

Again, grain of salt, hearsay, but i'm satisfied with the response. I will check back with the northwest whatever accrediting body after they post their July 2013 movements to see if WGU has been dropped. If so i'll start the court proceedings lol.
  • GPITGPIT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Boy this sure got me panicked. That enrollment counselor spreading misinformation really needs to be spoken to.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From the US Department of Education website: WGU "resigned" from the Distance Education and Training Council, Accrediting Commission on 12/31/2012; See: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/InstAccrDetails.aspx?756e697469643d3136353832302663616d70757349643d30267264743d342f32302f3230313320353a35353a333020414d

From the Distance Education and Training Council itself: WGU's "DETC accreditation expired effective December 31, 2012"; See: DETC

And, as someone previously said, their accreditation with Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities is up for review in the Fall of 2013; See the relevant entry at: NWCCU Institutions W - Z
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I emailed my mentor about it and this is the response she received from up the chain:

"Hi ******,
    Thanks so much for your email!
    All degrees, including our IT degrees, are accredited by virtue of our regional accreditation by the NW Council. *The link (statement) by the enrollment counselor is inaccurate. I’ve connected with the Enrollment Director to clean this up.
    I’ve also included the link from our website that might help you to discuss the question with your student. Thanks for surfacing this mix-up, ******.

http://www.wgu.edu/about_WGU/accreditation"
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    Incase anyone else is still worried.

Hello Zack,

I want to reach out to you to correct an error which I made to your question about WGU’s accreditation. WGU is accredited Regionally not Nationally. I apologize for giving you incorrect information. Here is a little more information for you regarding WGU’s Accreditation….

“Western Governors University is the only university to have received simultaneous accreditation by four regional accrediting commissions. Currently, WGU's "home" accrediting commission is the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, the same organization that accredits such leading institutions as the University of Washington, University of Oregon, University of Utah, Brigham Young University, and other public and private colleges. “

I hope this information helps you work with Scott Hannan, your enrollment counselor. Thank you and have a great day!
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
  • BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    I have two emails from my mentor here they are

"I am curious where you heard that. From the We Have Updates link I know they talk about removing the DETC accreditation for the Teacher’s College. I am checking with everyone and so far that is the only item that I am aware of. If I learn anymore you will be the first to know.

Take care,"

and

"I checked with my Manager the head of the IT college I can tell you it does not affect our students. It was a teaching college modification. Don’t worry are accreditation is very important and we do everything possible to take care of that."

It looks like the Teachers school is getting the change
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • HauntHaunt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    From the US Department of Education website: WGU "resigned" from the Distance Education and Training Council, Accrediting Commission on 12/31/2012; See: U.S. Department of Education Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs

From the Distance Education and Training Council itself: WGU's "DETC accreditation expired effective December 31, 2012"; See: DETC

And, as someone previously said, their accreditation with Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities is up for review in the Fall of 2013; See the relevant entry at: NWCCU Institutions W - Z
    I'm scratching my head as to why they would allow the DETC accreditation to expire when the primary aspect of WGU is the fact that it's DISTANCE EDUCATION.

I don't know about you guys, but I would get some comfort out of knowing that they would be accredited by the DETC. I'm already a student but if I were a prospective student, this would totally turn me off. And even though the National accreditation isn't that important, like I said before, it would still be reassuring to know that WGU is striving to be prestigious by attaining several accreditation's, not just the most important Regional accreditation.

The fact that they're letting these accreditation's expire due to them being too expensive to maintain kind of worries me. But then again this is a not for profit university so I guess I can understand why? I don't know! Just be the best that you can be, WGU!
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Because the regional accredidation is much more respected than the DETC accredidation? I know that I would not have chosen WGU if it did not have regional accredidation and I find myself less than concerned about them not renewing the DETC accredidation.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I submitted my technical writing paper yesterday. I was expecting a 5 day turn-around for it to be graded but they already finished. I forgot to include my timeline and rational sections but all other sections scored 3's or 4's so I suspect I will have an accepted paper very soon.

Now I just need to finish LAT1 and Capstone and I am all finished up!

I have already started studying for CCNA to meet the admissions requirements for the MS InfoSec program. I just got a salary position at my company so they will be paying 100% of my tuition :)
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Now I just need to finish LAT1 and Capstone and I am all finished up!

Good luck on the home stretch! icon_thumright.gif
    I just got a salary position at my company so they will be paying 100% of my tuition

Congratulations. Go for that MSISA!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    I submitted my technical writing paper yesterday. I was expecting a 5 day turn-around for it to be graded but they already finished. I forgot to include my timeline and rational sections but all other sections scored 3's or 4's so I suspect I will have an accepted paper very soon.

I was shocked - I turned mine in at 11pm on Saturday (yeah, I lead an exciting life), it was graded by 7:30 Sunday morning. I figured this time of the month they would be pretty slow, but according to my mentor they add staff late in the month because they know more papers are coming in. I hope to have my capstone done by the middle of the week so I can call myself a graduate by this weekend!

Good luck with your revisions; it's great to be so close to finishing your degree, isn't it?
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...