Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    CaiyenneCaiyenne Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats ajmatson! I'm starting April 1st. Your words are very encouraging!
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    I just discovered the Library. Wow!
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LordSevink wrote: »
    I just discovered the Library. Wow!

Another cool perk is that ALL WGU students get a free premium membership to Lynda.com which is one of, if not the best tutorial site for almost everything technology related.
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    earonw49 wrote: »
    Another cool perk is that ALL WGU students get a free premium membership to Lynda.com which is one of, if not the best tutorial site for almost everything technology related.

What a fantastic resource. I know what I'm doing until April 1st...
  • Options
    roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This thread is 262 pages deep, so please excuse me if I'm asking anything that's been covered. But I'm new to the forum and currently considering attending WGU and wanted to get some thoughts.

So far I like what I've read about them, and heard from the counselors. As of right now, it doesnt look like any of my certs will transfer into credits. But I'm working on certs first this year. I'm wondering if I take and pass my CISSP this year, will that fast track me into the Masters program?

I really want to go for an MS in Cyber Security, then go get an MBA in Informations Systems Management. But since the MS in Cyber Security somewhat aligns with the domains of CISSP, I'm hoping to advance quicker by actually taking CISSP.

Right now I'm fortunate in that I've been able to study and get paid at work. I have a big goal this year of at least 1 cert per month unless I'm working on a bigger cert like MCSE or CISSP. Once I'm done with my MCSA this month hopefuly, I can start on CISSP. Then I hope to be able to enroll at WGU with lots of credits in hand just not sure if that will be possible.

How about as far as jobs go? When you show a degree from WGU are employers perking up at that, or confused, or do they not count it for much?

Thanks for any info!
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • Options
    ElegyxElegyx Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dragonsden wrote: »
    This thread is 262 pages deep, so please excuse me if I'm asking anything that's been covered. But I'm new to the forum and currently considering attending WGU and wanted to get some thoughts.

So far I like what I've read about them, and heard from the counselors. As of right now, it doesnt look like any of my certs will transfer into credits. But I'm working on certs first this year. I'm wondering if I take and pass my CISSP this year, will that fast track me into the Masters program?

I really want to go for an MS in Cyber Security, then go get an MBA in Informations Systems Management. But since the MS in Cyber Security somewhat aligns with the domains of CISSP, I'm hoping to advance quicker by actually taking CISSP.

Right now I'm fortunate in that I've been able to study and get paid at work. I have a big goal this year of at least 1 cert per month unless I'm working on a bigger cert like MCSE or CISSP. Once I'm done with my MCSA this month hopefuly, I can start on CISSP. Then I hope to be able to enroll at WGU with lots of credits in hand just not sure if that will be possible.

How about as far as jobs go? When you show a degree from WGU are employers perking up at that, or confused, or do they not count it for much?

Thanks for any info!

If I had to take a guess, and someone who has actually applied to jobs with this degree on there resume might say different. Honestly, as long as you get your degree from a regionally accredited college, there should be no problems at all when they look over your resume. Yes, when you go to the bigger B&M schools, you have more avenues available to you and opportunities to network/meet different people, etc., BUT the beauty of WGU is that it's VERY cheap, regionally accredited, you get certs, AND a not for profit.

You CAN'T beat that if you're a working adult.
  • Options
    CBaerCBaer Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Keep Calm and Carry On, my friend. I'm a high level federal manager, completing my Master's MIS at the University of Arizona; the #3 MIS program all universities nationwide, #1 in public universities. It was a plus in my admittance there, not a hindrance. WGU has a great reputation, and only getting better.

I'm proud to have finished my degree at WGU, 19 years after I dropped out of undergrad at Arizona. I do not hesitate to recommend it to any working adult I know, including my staff. Be a proud Night Owl - in a few years there won't be a question regarding online or B&M.
  • Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know how employer tuition reimbursement works at WGU? I am planning on using my employer's tuition reimbursement program, but it takes 2-3 pay cycles after you submit term grades to get reimbursed. Does WGU accept payment after the term if you are in this type of situation, or do they make you pay on the regular schedule? One school I was looking at let you pay after you were reimbursed from your employer.
  • Options
    jt2929 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how employer tuition reimbursement works at WGU? I am planning on using my employer's tuition reimbursement program, but it takes 2-3 pay cycles after you submit term grades to get reimbursed. Does WGU accept payment after the term if you are in this type of situation, or do they make you pay on the regular schedule? One school I was looking at let you pay after you were reimbursed from your employer.

I've heard of people having issues with WGU and tuition reimbursement from an employer. I could be wrong (new student), but I believe you cannot enroll until after you've paid that term's tuition in full.

Are any of you new students beginning the orientation today?
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Starting the BSIT - Security track April 1st and halfway through the orientation. I was approved for tuition reimbursement through my employer and will fill out an expense report after completing the first term in order to recoup out of pocket expenses. I have also checked out the library and started browsing the SSCP Systems Study Guide and DVD Training System by Syngress.
  • Options
    tahjzhuan wrote: »
    Starting the BSIT - Security track April 1st and halfway through the orientation. I was approved for tuition reimbursement through my employer and will fill out an expense report after completing the first term in order to recoup out of pocket expenses. I have also checked out the library and started browsing the SSCP Systems Study Guide and DVD Training System by Syngress.

I just completed the orientation. I even took a picture of my passport with my iPhone for my ID card!

I'm going to try to talk my mentor into splitting up the Linux+ and CCNA. The default plan is to squeeze them into the same term and that may be a bit much.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Already submitted a photo for the ID, hoping to have it in time for use of a student discount rate at an early April convention :). I will complete the orientation tomorrow. I have checked out the IT Security Fundamentals course on lynda.com and added the completion certificate to my LinkedIn profile. I started out in IT on the system admin side working primarily in a Windows environment. Looking forward the courses, but I don't expect them to be easy. That said, I'm highly engaged and motivated!
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Orientation has been cleared. Woo.
  • Options
    ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Keep the momentum going guys... and when down, remember Arnold...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyhOmBPtGNM

oooh.. and SLEEP FASTER! :P
  • Options
    I just got off the phone with my mentor. He seems like a good one. Apparently I have the ability to do everything besides the assessments prior to enrollment... I didn't know that. icon_study.gif
  • Options
    student321student321 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hope this is the correct place to post this. I just finished the MSISA at WGU. The key to successfully completing a degree at this school is a good student mentor. During my career at WGU I had three mentors, the first two where not particular helpful but my third was fantastic. I was very skeptical when I was assigned to Tom, but he quickly demonstrated that he actually cared about my progress and had an excellent knowledge of the courses within the degree program. If you are just beginning or are thinking about the MSISA, or if your current mentor's calls feel like a check off call then I would recommend asking for a mentor change to Tom Meeks. I can honestly say that, if it were not for Tom I would not have finished my degree
  • Options
    yesalrightokyesalrightok Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm interested in learning who here was in another program at WGU and transferred into the newer Software Development program. What month did you start?

To the newbies:
    How long have you been in the program?
  • Options
    Good luck to all the new students starting today. I'm happily enrolled in my first term at WGU.
  • Options
    bmalin77bmalin77 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tahjzhuan wrote: »
    Already submitted a photo for the ID, hoping to have it in time for use of a student discount rate at an early April convention :). I will complete the orientation tomorrow. I have checked out the IT Security Fundamentals course on lynda.com and added the completion certificate to my LinkedIn profile. I started out in IT on the system admin side working primarily in a Windows environment. Looking forward the courses, but I don't expect them to be easy. That said, I'm highly engaged and motivated!

I am debating applying to WGU or taking a CCNA & MCTS program at a local community college. I have been going through the thread and see a lot of pros and cons. Any feedback besides a good mentor for those thinking about WGU? I work at a large IT shop, have a BA and a MBA, but looking to get more network/OS/DB experience and been poking around at WGU's programs.

Thanks!
  • Options
    RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    After a two week wait, I finally got my transfer eval: 25 CUs. Not bad for three CompTIA certs and two English classes.

Congrats to you! Could you tell me how many CU was just the A+ N+ Sec+ worth?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Congrats to you! Could you tell me how many CU was just the A+ N+ Sec+ worth?

Thanks!

19 CUs. :)
  • Options
    revelatedrevelated Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Update:

My last post was in September. I now have a few other comments about WGU.

First, they keep changing programs way too often and a number of mistakes are being made. At first, College Algebra wasn't on my schedule at all, so I assumed it was dropped (And my mentor confirmed it appeared to be dropped). So I took the Physics course last term, and it was RIDICULOUS, mostly because the learning material is pathetic and it's information overload, not to mention the performance assessment which asks for an experiment. I got near the end of the term and I'm telling my mentor that there's simply no way these two classes are getting passed before the end of the term.

After pressing her to find out what the deal is, turns out someone screwed up in whatever department manages the curriculums; College Algebra was not only supposed to be there, but was supposed to be taken before Physics in their opinion. I can't take a course that isn't listed on my program! So they agreed to push Physics back to this term, with College Algebra put back on there.

That sort of chaos is simply unacceptable.

Second, they won't let me take Software Development Fundamentals to get it out of the way because of the complaints about the exam and forthcoming changes, and they almost wouldn't let me take IWC1 because of forthcoming changes. I had to argue to get them to let me take those because the only other courses left are Technical Writing and the Capstone, which should really be taken last.

Now it looks like they've changed proctor agents. Used to be Kryterion and I never had any real issue with them, but now it's "Examity". No notification of this change. I'm fine with improvements but at least tell me they're coming.

I'm still on target to get this done in 2015, although it's a lot more difficult now that I don't have tuition reimbursement inspiring me. But I'll get it done.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree that program (catalog) changes can be hectic. Hopefully they get that stuff straightened out as quickly as possible.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    revelated wrote: »
    So I took the Physics course last term, and it was RIDICULOUS, mostly because the learning material is pathetic

I think it's pretty bad when students of an educational institution feel that the materials being provided by that institution are so inadequate for learning that they search for their own. I'm going through the book they have you read for Web Development Fundamentals and it's pretty terrible (the Lynda videos are decent and the Codecademy lessons are always nice). I find myself getting frustrated from time to time even with a background in HTML and CSS.

Obviously this doesn't pertain to all courses as the source of learning material varies between them. But I've recently heard that the Linux+ (Operating Systems I/II) material is just as bad.
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @revelated

Wow, that's seriously messed up. I hope they get everything straightened out ASAP, that's ridiculous. I've heard quite a few people say that the recent changes have messed things up for them.

@LordSevink

Yes, I remember when I took the Linux+ course. The 101 provided material was good, but the 102 material was way different than what the exam wanted. I was totally dumbfounded by the 102 exam because it was so different than I expected.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In contrast, I never had a problem with the materials provided by WGU in the bachelors program. I often encountered courses where WGU provided 2 or 3 different study sources, and only a single source was sufficient enough to master the material and pass the objective exam. YMMV
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    19 CUs. :)

That's great! Thanks!
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have my 2nd call with mentor today. Praying I get to take the CCNA first term right away. Her suggested schedule did not include that.

Also, if you want to know whether or not WGU is worth it:

Since updating my resume to reflect that I'm going back to school to finish my BS I've received 2 job offers. One came to me. The other I applied for (had previously applied 1-2 months prior before resume update and was never called). Take it FWIW. I do not think it is a coincidence.
  • Options
    I called WGU last week to schedule my first assessment for tomorrow. I was informed that I could take the exam at the local library and got a confirmation email and everything. I called the library today and they told me they have no appointment with me on the books and haven't heard anything from the school.

I'm going to call WGU tomorrow while the library is open as I was supposed to sit the exam tomorrow.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm a little disappointed in their readmission process. I won't be assigned a mentor until 2 days before my start date and I won't know what I need to take to finish until then either. Basically I'm rushing it all in a span of 2 days to get myself up to speed. A week would be fine, but two days sucks. I know I'll need to take icnd1 and 2 so I've been studying for that so I can hit the ground running. Knock those two out and take the network+ exam. I'm thinking about network+ and icnd1 on the same day and icnd2 a little afterward. Should be doable. Then CCNA security.