Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just took my readiness test for admissions. The math portion was a lot tougher than I was expecting since I haven't taken a math class in over a decade but I am feeling pretty good with how I did.

How soon after do you find out your results?
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    Well I start back for my MS ISA on Friday. I had planned on studying the whole month but after reading through 2 hacker books I decided I really needed a break. I get to take EWB over again this weekend. I wonder if it's any different then the BS Program.

I also started working out while I was gone and dropped 12lbs so life is good. I just hope to keep it going once I start classes again.

Looks like you guys are flying through classes. Congrats on all the stuff I have been reading.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    I just took my readiness test for admissions. The math portion was a lot tougher than I was expecting since I haven't taken a math class in over a decade but I am feeling pretty good with how I did.

How soon after do you find out your results?

I seem to remember getting mine back within a few hours.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    I seem to remember getting mine back within a few hours.

I got them back this morning and passed :D
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! When do you start?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Congrats! When do you start?

I'm planning to start June 1st. I am scheduled to take the 70-640 exam at the end of the month (free dreamspark voucher) and hopefully I can knock out one more towards the MCITP:EA before I get started.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Any advice on the Java class (GTT1/KET1)? I'm using the new COS and Java for Everybody w/ Wiley Plus. Seems way more involved than it has to be but I don't know. Thanks
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    I have to admit, I was a little intimidated by lat1 but their methods of teaching you to write a research paper are pretty good. I never wrote a paper over 10 pages, but with the help of learning to synthesis and a visual organizer, I'm breezing through the paper with plenty of material. I think it might be too long even.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    Any advice on the Java class (GTT1/KET1)? I'm using the new COS and Java for Everybody w/ Wiley Plus. Seems way more involved than it has to be but I don't know. Thanks

Flip through this and the other WGU thread. There are a few other posts about this. IMHO, I'd recommend warming up with Java Demystified then working through the COS but that's just me-- and I haven't seen the new Wiley materials yet.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    Just sat for CIW Foundations exam and thus completing WFV1.. wow what a joke. I really was prepared for it by only reading the basic html/xhtml/css at w3schools.com.

I even think I overestimated the exam by skimming over the three ciw study guides after reading the basic w3school tutorials...

Anyway, on to the javascript course and LET1.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    Pishof wrote: »
    Just sat for CIW Foundations exam and thus completing WFV1.. wow what a joke.

I still think it's a good barometer of where you're at going into the program. If you found it crazy easy, so much the better.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have one thing to say.

Thank god for the BAC1 course mentors. I would be trying to unsuccessfully struggle through some of this stuff for weeks if it weren't for them. Hope to do the assessment in 2 weeks if possible. With their help I think i'm going to be able to pull that off.icon_study.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am stuck in limbo now..... My program change is taking forever to process. I want to schedule an assessment but can't because I have to wait until it posts to my AAP. I think the entire process needs some revision.
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    I am stuck in limbo now..... My program change is taking forever to process. I want to schedule an assessment but can't because I have to wait until it posts to my AAP. I think the entire process needs some revision.

Wow, that's weird. I also changed programs and mine processed and changed over on the 1st by 8am.
  • Options
    4 weeks, 4 certifications!!!! CIW Site Designer, Java Script, and Database. Followed that up with Project+ today! I'm so happy right now. Few months ago I was considering dropping out of WGU, and I was so down on myself for being so far behind. But here I'm sitting today with 48 CU down in 5 months. And that was with have 3 back surgeries. Only 6 more classes to go and I'll have my shinny BS IT.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    4 weeks, 4 certifications!!!! CIW Site Designer, Java Script, and Database. Followed that up with Project+ today! I'm so happy right now. Few months ago I was considering dropping out of WGU, and I was so down on myself for being so far behind. But here I'm sitting today with 48 CU down in 5 months. And that was with have 3 back surgeries. Only 6 more classes to go and I'll have my shinny BS IT.

congrats

i hope to be busting them out asap just like that
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177

Awesome job! I'm planning on studying for the Site Designer and Java Script certs during my term break later on this year so hoping to knock them out instantly when coming back into term 2. Sorry if you may have posted about it earlier, but do you have any experience with DBA work or were you going in "blind" so to speak and managed to come out on top of the Database cert in a relatively short amount of time?
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sheckler wrote: »
    Wow, that's weird. I also changed programs and mine processed and changed over on the 1st by 8am.

I am pretty annoyed to be honest. I put the request in a week before my term ended. Here I am on day 6 of my new term and still nothing!
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    I would call them at this point, maybe they forgot/lost it or something. I think my mentor put my request in about 2 weeks before my term ended.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Well I made it through the dreaded Win 7 exam. I got a 900. Now off to the Math classes!
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Congrats! The 680 is a beast! As for the other poster who is waiting on the switch, I'd already have called Student Services, and if that didn't work I'd be calling the switchboard until I found someone who'd fix the problem.
  • Options

Wow impressive, one certification a week. You must have great memory retention.

Do you know which javascript exam version you sat for? The current one I'm studying for is 1D0-635 and not the older 1D0-435.

I can't find any word or even acknowledgement of the 1D0-635 except for the WGU AAP. I can't even find any mention of the new exam on the CIW website.. odd.
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So who else was in the Server 08 chat this evening? icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Pishof wrote: »
    I can't find any word or even acknowledgement of the 1D0-635 except for the WGU AAP. I can't even find any mention of the new exam on the CIW website.. odd.

It's in the CIW materials you receive for Javascript. CIW specifically mentions the 1D0-635 in those materials.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    It's in the CIW materials you receive for Javascript. CIW specifically mentions the 1D0-635 in those materials.

Right, that's what I've been reading; on chapter 10 now. I'm just surprised I don't see any mention outside of WGU resources about that test version.
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    I did the 435. Really there isn't much difference in the two. The only thing is the 635 adds ajax and a few other little things. If you're not planning on taking javascript any further, 435 is just fine.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Trying to get my voucher for ABV1. They are saying the voucher system has been down since Tuesday =\. Nearest testing site is 2 hours away so I was hoping to take it Monday morning.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    I did the 435. Really there isn't much difference in the two. The only thing is the 635 adds ajax and a few other little things. If you're not planning on taking javascript any further, 435 is just fine.

Hmm interesting. Wonder if I can get me mentor to give me 435 voucher instead. I'm not really interested in javascript at all. I'd rather use .net for any actual programming I need to do.
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    FINALLY done with LAT1, 3 weeks of my life I'm never getting back :D
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey all,

Looking for a partner to do GUT1 with. So if you are in GUT1 or any of the other courses with the same tasks (ABT1 or KFT1) and are looking for a partner let me know!

-APR911
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP