Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    apr911 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Looking for a partner to do GUT1 with. So if you are in GUT1 or any of the other courses with the same tasks (ABT1 or KFT1) and are looking for a partner let me know!

-APR911

Is it GUT1 the second java? I'll do it. Ready to start tomorrow if needed. Haven't checked out the taskstream yet though.
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    GUT1 is the second java course. Its called Object Oriented Design and Development.

Ive looked at the task stream and its not exactly clear (to me at least) what all needs to be done individually and with a partner. Im planning on attending the "Getting Started" conference call tomorrow at 11:00 MST to hopefully clarify the who what and how.

From what I can tell, this is the break down of the tasks:

Task 1 - Create a program with a partner. Discuss the experience and complete a self-assessment and submit for grading. (Program not submitted)

Task 2 - Create a program (solo - Program not submitted). Present your program to 2 attendees and have them review your presentation. Submit the attendees review for grading (Unclear if the attendees need to be WGU Students)

Task 3 - Create 2 presentations on [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]software design patterns. Present your presentation to 2 attendees and have them review your presentation. Submit the attendees review and your presentations for grading. (Unclear if attendees need to be WGU Students)

Task 4 - Create a program that connects to a database. Document your program using UML. Create a program test plan. Submit the program, documentation and test plan for grading.

So it seems only task 1 is really a partner activity. As I said, Im hoping to clarify tomorrow who needs to do the presentation reviews and what needs to be submitted for each task.
    [/FONT]
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    Correction to my last... I found this in the FAQ:

RABT1 Task 1 requires 2 WGU students as they have to work together to complete a RABT1 task. This means the partner must be another ABT1 student. RABT1 Task 2 and 3 requires the WGU student to give a presentation. The student is welcome to present to non-ABT1 students but the attendees have to understand these OO concepts and design patterns including the MVC pattern in order to be qualified to complete this checklist.

So it looks like only task 1 requires a WGU partner. I work at a major tech company and I know plenty of people here that know java and programming concepts so I can present my presentation to them for grading.

Task 4 is definitely solo.

So lets talk more about task 1. Do you have any time tomorrow?

Ill PM you with my contact information. Im off work on Friday's so Ill be free all day but you might want to wait till after the GUT1 Getting Started call which ends at 12:00 MST.
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    I bet a lot of students make up the reviews, I doubt everyone knows people that "understand these OO concepts and design patterns including the MVC pattern"
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I'd be up for GUT1 but I'm just start GTT1. Let me know what you find out in the getting started chat about partners. I for one don't have anyone that would understand anything about coding so I'll probably be making up the reviews. Good luck on GUT1, I'll hopefully get to to around May 1st.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    Ok all so here's the information I got from this morning's call.

TASK 1 - Work with a partner to develop a program. Perform a self-evaluation on the work you did and the experience you had working with a partner. Only the Self-Evaulation form is submitted for grading.

TASK 2 - Develop a program on your own. Present the program to at least 2 peers (can be friend/family/co-workers or other WGU students, as long as they would have the necessary knowledge to understand what you're talking about and know if you are right or wrong). The peers will fill out a presentation checklist. Only the 2 peer checklists are submitted for grading.

TASK 3 - On your own, develop a presentation of 10 slides on 2 OOP [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]software design patterns. 1 of the 2 design patterns must be MVC. Present the presentation to at least 2 peers [/FONT](can be friend/family/co-workers or other WGU students, as long as they would have the necessary knowledge to understand what you're talking about and know if you are right or wrong). The peers will fill out a presentation checklist. The 2 peer checklists AND the created slide deck are submitted for grading.

TASK 4 - On your own, develop a program that interfaces with a database. Develop UML use-case, Class and Sequence documentation. Document a test plan that tests all functional requirements of the program. All three portions will be submitted for the grade. (The program must work)
  • Options
    Thanks. That seems like a lot of work. The final task seems the hardest. Next term is not going to be fun - GTT1, GUT1, CCNA, CCNA Security, Tech Writing and Capstone. I'm having the hardest time just trying to figure out GTT1 right now. The new COS keeps referring to "see sample" but there is no sample for the tasks...
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ok guys...for those of you who want to take the Javascript 1D0-435 (I ended up doing it myself) this is what I did:

I was very, very open to taking the 1D0-635. However, there's just so much crap that isn't available. They would have had to upgrade my AAP to the new one to see it. I said this was ridiculous. I said look, enroll me in AKV1 now and give me the voucher. I will pass the 435 within the next couple of weeks, as I will buy a uCertify pak this weekend. My mentor conceded that there were problems, and did not fight me on AKV1.

This means that the mcmcse.com guide is back in play! I should have this done in a few days for sure now! If you want to switch to the 435, get it done now! After May 31, the 435 no longer becomes an option (for real that time). That's what I got from the Javascript community.

Oh and by the way, when requesting the voucher MAKE SURE to note that you want the 1D0-435 voucher! Otherwise you will get the 1D0-635.
  • Options
    I don't think you need a ucertify pack. Just use VCampus. If you can pass the practice tests on there, you can pass the real deal. CIW Cert's aren't hard, the answers are right in the book.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    if ya ask your mentor firmly you can get a printed book as well
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    I don't think you need a ucertify pack. Just use VCampus. If you can pass the practice tests on there, you can pass the real deal. CIW Cert's aren't hard, the answers are right in the book.

if ya ask your mentor firmly you can get a printed book as well

Thanks guys; I just asked for both vCampus and the printed materials via email. I am hoping I get vCampus by end of day, otherwise I will still go ahead and get uCertify. We get a discount anyway as WGU is replacing MeasureUp with uCertify. I need to get this class out of the way as I have got serious work to do with the EA certs. The worst that happens with uCertify is I get my money back if I fail.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Program changed kicked in. So stoked to be in the Network Admin emphasis. I have to pass three M$ Exams, do tech writing and capstone then I'm done!
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Thanks guys; I just asked for both vCampus and the printed materials via email. I am hoping I get vCampus by end of day, otherwise I will still go ahead and get uCertify. We get a discount anyway as WGU is replacing MeasureUp with uCertify. I need to get this class out of the way as I have got serious work to do with the EA certs. The worst that happens with uCertify is I get my money back if I fail.

to be honest you can prob pass with just the book and guide
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Has anyone been through the new math classes HHT1 and GAC1? These are my next 2 classes and there aren't any math communities.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    Should be an eventful weekend. Taking my SSC1 assessment Sunday morning and I just finished my outline for my essay for the first SST1 task so I will be starting to write that and hopefully finish it and get it submitted by Sunday night as well.

Also, now that erpadmin mentioned being able to take the 1D0-435 exam instead of being forced into the 1D0-635, that may be my next enrolled course instead of waiting for the beginning of my 2nd term.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    Also, now that erpadmin mentioned being able to take the 1D0-435 exam instead of being forced into the 1D0-635, that may be my next enrolled course instead of waiting for the beginning of my 2nd term.

I scheduled the 435 for 4/22 (Good Friday...icon_sad.gif [I almost feel bad about that...]). I'm not playing anymore with Javascript.

WGU does not have their stuff together for the 635 yet. Even if you do order the voucher, you can still choose 435 or 635. It's just that after 5/31, you will only have the option for the 635. I didn't want to deal with the uncertainty of a new exam...the 435 I know I got more than a 51% shot of one shotting-one killing. Then I can concentrate on graduating. :)
  • Options
    I scheduled the 435 for 4/22 (Good Friday...icon_sad.gif [I almost feel bad about that...]). I'm not playing anymore with Javascript.

WGU does not have their stuff together for the 635 yet. Even if you do order the voucher, you can still choose 435 or 635. It's just that after 5/31, you will only have the option for the 635. I didn't want to deal with the uncertainty of a new exam...the 435 I know I got more than a 51% shot of one shotting-one killing. Then I can concentrate on graduating. :)

Once I pass my SSC1 assessment on Sunday (hopefully...oh I hope so bad to be done with this) I'm pretty sure I'll dig into that mcmcse.com guide for the 435. That way I can start studying a bit at work while working on my essays for SST1 at home.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193

Thanks for posting this.. I am emailing my mentor now as soon as I read this. Not taking the 635 if I can just do the 435.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I'm pretty sure I'll dig into that mcmcse.com guide for the 435.

That mcmcse guide is good stuff. Also, I'd DEFINITELY recommend at least downloading and running the diagnostic exam for uCertify-- very helpful, especially if you want to wrap the test quickly.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    That mcmcse guide is good stuff. Also, I'd DEFINITELY recommend at least downloading and running the diagnostic exam for uCertify-- very helpful, especially if you want to wrap the test quickly.

$64 with the RETCUST (20% off) discount code...plus another 5% if you are a returning customer....truly a no brainer. Worst that happens is I get my money back.

In addition, I'm using these little FREE tutorials that another WGU student posted:

TheNewBoston – Free Educational Video Tutorials on Computer Programming and More! JavaScript

It'll make any javascript reading a little bit easier when you do whatever labs....
  • Options
    I just remembered that I still have the CIW Site Designer (1D0-420) to go through as well. Does this help any before moving into the 1D0-435 or should I be fine doing the 435 first to ensure I get it done in time to avoid being forced into the 635? Anyone have experience with the 420?
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    I just remembered that I still have the CIW Site Designer (1D0-420) to go through as well. Does this help any before moving into the 1D0-435 or should I be fine doing the 435 first to ensure I get it done in time to avoid being forced into the 635? Anyone have experience with the 420?

Dude....do 435 first, if you can help it. This comes from a guy who doesn't have 420 in his emphasis....as well as not looking to do the "Master CIW" certs....lol.
  • Options
    Dude....do 435 first, if you can help it. This comes from a guy who doesn't have 420 in his emphasis....as well as not looking to do the "Master CIW" certs....lol.

Yeah I noticed with the 420 (or actually it looks like its the 520 now) that it wasn't in all of the WGU paths so you would take the 435/635 without it, I just wasn't sure if quite a bit of it transferred over in order to make my mentor think I would need the 520 as a prerequisite or anything. I guess if she mentions that then I'll bring up the fact that other specialization paths take the 435 without the 520 and I imagine that should smooth things over a bit.

Once I get the SSC1 out of the way i'll discuss my next course plans with her and try to fight for that 435 then.
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    Yeah I noticed with the 420 (or actually it looks like its the 520 now).

Sounds like they came up with a good number for the exam. The old one lends itself all too easily to some Pineapple Express jokes. :)
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd definitely take the javascript class first. The old test is pretty easy. If you take the old test don't bother actually DOING the labs. Reading them over and typing in the correct answers/ code (which you have access to) would be enough. Be sure to use that MCMCSE study sheet as it has a lot of stuff that is on the exam.
    Good luck!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    crypticgeekcrypticgeek Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello all. I've sort of been lurking on the forums for a bit. I've been planning on going back to school for awhile, and these forums and the great people participating on them helped my make up my mind that WGU would probably be right for me.

I applied and was told to go get an IT cert. I just took and passed ICND1 on Thursday as well as finished all my financial aid requirements. Looking forwarding to getting info about my award amounts soon. I'm kind of anxious about that, because I don't know how I would afford it without enough loan money to cover it all.

Was anyone else's enrollment counsellor just awful about email communication? I have to get mine on the phone to get anything done, he just ignores all my emails. Very annoying.

Anyway, assuming I'm covered financially I can't wait to see what my previous college credits in a computer science track will clear for me and what I have left to do to graduate. Exciting times abound.

Thanks to everyone participating for your insights, even if you didn't know how helpful you've been. :D
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    Sounds like they came up with a good number for the exam. The old one lends itself all too easily to some Pineapple Express jokes. :)

I noticed that when I typed 420, but I figured I owed you one...icon_lol.gif

(You're welcome....)

When I looked at the "Master" stuff at uCertify, I noticed that I would be 2/5th into one of the certs after 435 was passed. I don't plan on pursuing Perl, etc. though...lol
  • Options
    Was anyone else's enrollment counsellor just awful about email communication? I have to get mine on the phone to get anything done, he just ignores all my emails. Very annoying.

Issues with WGU enrollment counselors are commonplace. Just don't base your whole experience on that-- it's a different world once you've walked past the front door.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165

Mine was similarly unavailable. His phone would always be busy as well. They have literally hundreds of people on their plate, so they're always way overloaded. Basically, make sure you say everything you need to in your scheduled calls. Also, don't depend on them for information. I asked mine a few questions I'd gotten answers to here in order to have a second source to verify the information. He had no idea and made up an answer (which was wrong). After getting access to the student handbook, I discovered that the answers I got here were right.

As already stated though, if you can get through this stage it does get better.
  • Options
    Who ever has finished GTT1 and has some free time later today please MSG me... I'm completely lost. I got the UI layout, but I can't for the life of me figure out where I put the application code and/or reference the inputs into the applications. I've figured out the int = Integer.parseInt(nameoffield.getText()); but it keeps telling me that the field isn't found. Thanks in advance.