Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck with BAC, I take it and BBC on Sunday.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jourdsh wrote: »
    Good luck with BAC, I take it and BBC on Sunday.

Thanks. Good luck to you as well. I am going to shoot for a test date of next weekend but that depends on how much I can get done this weekend. No math classes in over a decade make it a bit harder breeze through, lol.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    MGC1 Passed! icon_cheers.gif

Submitted my 2nd task for LET1 earlier this evening as well. Plan to finish up the remaining two tomorrow. After that on to Project+
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    flash23flash23 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I finished the ewb now I gotta do WFV1 I gotta wait for Tues. I guess to even add it can anyone recommend some study materials would the book on books 24/7 be any good it's for the 410 what updates were made to the 510
  • Options
    flash23 wrote: »
    I finished the ewb now I gotta do WFV1 I gotta wait for Tues. I guess to even add it can anyone recommend some study materials would the book on books 24/7 be any good it's for the 410 what updates were made to the 510

Go through the stuff on MC MCSE for this. Really the only thing most of us needed was a brief overview of HTML. It's a really easy test, I notice you passed Sec+, you'll do just fine here.
  • Options
    Ok, the BAC1 the test is easier than the exam prep, it all being multiple choice helps. BBC1, was harder than I expected. But passed both!
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Finally was able to get him to approve my exams. WFV1 in the morning and INC1 Wednesday night.

I can finally get to NET+ and AD:D
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    Was going to schedule my Project+ certification and noticed the voucher was for the JK0-017 exam. This does cover the same material as the PK0-003 exam, correct? Last thing I need is some last minute surprises when I'm trying to knock this out and finish the INC1 before term end.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    For the people in the MAster Degree program for IT or the MBA program can you give me your experiences? and the value of the education / what employers expect. I plan to attend WGU no later than May of next year and I just want more information.
  • Options
    Was going to schedule my Project+ certification and noticed the voucher was for the JK0-017 exam. This does cover the same material as the PK0-003 exam, correct? Last thing I need is some last minute surprises when I'm trying to knock this out and finish the INC1 before term end.

Nearest I can tell it does cover the correct test. However all I can locate in a quick Google search of that JK0-017 is a bunch of **** related sites. I would contact the department that sends the vouchers and verify with them that you've got the correct one.

Edit: Just finished submitting task 4 on LET1. Waiting on my evaluations of task 3 and 4, 1 and 2 are fine. Halfway there it seems.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□

I believe the voucher is legit. The code represents educational discount voucher.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Nearest I can tell it does cover the correct test. However all I can locate in a quick Google search of that JK0-017 is a bunch of **** related sites. I would contact the department that sends the vouchers and verify with them that you've got the correct one.

Edit: Just finished submitting task 4 on LET1. Waiting on my evaluations of task 3 and 4, 1 and 2 are fine. Halfway there it seems.

Yeah I emailed my mentor about it and she's checking with them and will get back to me tomorrow. I think I remember hearing about the JK0 series being an academic style series for CompTIA certs but it was the exact same as the regular exams (at least relating to the A+ certs where I heard it mentioned). Just wanted to double check beforehand, as I know many others have already taken this cert through WGU as well as other CompTIA courses.

Congrats on the LET1 tasks though.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    higherho wrote: »
    For the people in the MAster Degree program for IT or the MBA program can you give me your experiences? and the value of the education / what employers expect. I plan to attend WGU no later than May of next year and I just want more information.

I haven't been through the program, but I've read that it's a lot of work and quite writing-intensive.

Hopefully I can find some more details and post back here.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    I took the jk series for Network+ and Security+, just an academic pricing code. The test is the same.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    aethereosaethereos Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□

WGU is an academic alliance to Microsoft, so all its exam codes are slightly different for pricing reasons. Other than that all exam contents are identical to what you'd take if you were paying for the standard versions.
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    TWA1 involves writing a 17 page paper to summarize/plan a paper that's going to be 25-30 pages... Is it just me or is this a bit silly when looked at it this way?
  • Options
    nhpr wrote: »
    TWA1 involves writing a 17 page paper to summarize/plan a paper that's going to be 25-30 pages... Is it just me or is this a bit silly when looked at it this way?

well jeez when ya put it that way icon_rolleyes.gif
    icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Three day weekend! Going to see if I can't finish up BAC1 with the extra time. I am currently on Unit 5 (Geometry).

Lazy holiday weekend, didn't do any school work icon_redface.gif Time to play catch up, lol.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I'm working on my tech writing also. The simplest answer I got so far is the tech writing you write in pretense and capstone post tense. I.E. I am going to do so and so. then I did so and so. In the middle of it you're suppose to do a project? I'll find out more Wednesday. Just have to finish my two CCNA classes and then those and I'm DONE!
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Ok, WFV1 knocked out. INC1 tomorrow!

NET+ and AD here I come. :D
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    Project+ vanquished with a 799 score. I honestly thought I was going to do better and the time I spent studying and even during the test itself I felt confident on answers that I missed.

I'm not complaining though, glad to have that out of the way. Now just LET1 left until new term starts on September.. I'm debating adding another class before next term.

Has anyone heard of rolling over classes from one term to another and what effect that has on term SAP?
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    Pishof wrote: »
    Project+ vanquished with a 799 score. I honestly thought I was going to do better and the time I spent studying and even during the test itself I felt confident on answers that I missed.

I'm not complaining though, glad to have that out of the way. Now just LET1 left until new term starts on September.. I'm debating adding another class before next term.

Has anyone heard of rolling over classes from one term to another and what effect that has on term SAP?

LET1 is very doable with the time you have left. The assignments are pretty much just rewording the chapters you're supposed to read, so the papers aren't terribly hard or long. Unless you're going to be doing a bunch of 70 hour weeks at work in a row, I'd say go for it.

I also thought some of the reading was somewhat interesting, so after Project+ you'll probably think it's more exciting than being in a car crash with two rabid wolverines in your pants.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    ive got QMC1 next week late int eh afternoon so i can go over the cos before i go in

also just added qlt1 i hear its 5 math problems so it should be fairly quick
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    Submitted Let1 task 1, Did anyone check their paper with the turnitin originality link? If so what did you get as a score? It picked up the name of the paper and the university on the cover page and headers in my evaluation as duplicated words...

So how long does this scoring usually take?
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    Jack2 wrote: »
    o how long does this scoring usually take?

Usually two or three business days. It can take up to five though. Eventually you'll get an e-mail either saying that they've accepted it or you need to revise.
  • Options
    Jack2 wrote: »
    Submitted Let1 task 1, Did anyone check their paper with the turnitin originality link? If so what did you get as a score? It picked up the name of the paper and the university on the cover page and headers in my evaluation as duplicated words...

So how long does this scoring usually take?

Yeah my pages are usually between 7 and 10% similar due to that kind of stuff. Mine have only taken about 24 hours or so. Although I am waiting on my final task which was submitted yesterday around 2 pm. Trying to stay awake through this Project+ stuff /yawn
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    • Project coordinator or expeditor – weak matrix (no authority over workers)
    • The perform change control is the process of reviewing all change requests
    • Activities that run tandem – start to start
    • GERT – graphical evaluation and review technique, Branching and loopback
    • A work package is the smallest element deliverable created by work effort.
    • The scope baseline is the project scope statement, wbs and wbs dictionary.
    • Expert judgment is the only tool and technique that is part of the close project process
    • McClelland theory of needs, driven primarily by one of three needs.
    • Rolling wave – milestones are created at the end of each project phase
    • The project management lifecycle is universal to all projects, it has five process groups
    • Project Plan – product schedule, team member list, risk identification, risk analysis
    • CV = EV – AC (If less than 0, costs are higher)
    • SV = EV – PV
    • SV% = SV – EV
    • CPI – EV/AC
    • SPI = EV/PV
    • VAC = BAC - EAC
    • Customers most important stakeholders
    • A pareto chart is a special type of bar chart where values being plotted are arranged in descending order.
    • Vendor contract administration – vender disputes, progress reporting, vendor delay.
    • Once a defect is a repaired then there must be a defect repair review process
    • Team resources = staffing management plan
    • A PERT chart is a project tool used to schedule organize and coordinate tasks within a project
    • 55% of all communications are considered non-verbal
    • Hertzburg theory has hygiene
    • Perform integrated change control is the process of reviewing all change requests
    • A critical path = longest path
    • Project closure = project sponsor
    • Scope verification is a process in the monitoring and controlling group
    • Step funding describes incremental funding
    • Norming stage project team will settle into their roles
    • 42 project management process
    • Project scope created during planning
    • Sapir-Vhorf Hypothesis language a person speaks affects how the individual thinks
    • RACI = responsible, accountable, consult, inform
    • Dotted line (
    ) = dummy activity
    • CCPM is a method of planning and managing projects that puts more emphasis on the resources to execute the project tasks.
    • Configuration management system is responsible for controlling and documenting changes to the features and functions
    • Quality control is an inspection process
    • Quality assurance is a prevention process
    • Time, Cost, Scope
    • Sponsors have the greatest influence on scope, duration, and cost during planning
    • Last deliverable at close out is lessons learned
    • Free float and total float
    • Event chain diagram shows the relationship between events and tasks and how they affect each other
    • A project organization chart tracks each of the project team members and their reporting relationship
    • The best type of project ending is extinction
    • A program is a group of related projects
    • Risk response control occurs during the monitoring and controlling process
    • The initiation process group includes approving the project and authorizing work to being
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    • Project coordinator or expeditor – weak matrix (no authority over workers)
    • The perform change control is the process of reviewing all change requests
    • Activities that run tandem – start to start
    • GERT – graphical evaluation and review technique, Branching and loopback
    • A work package is the smallest element deliverable created by work effort.
    • The scope baseline is the project scope statement, wbs and wbs dictionary.
    • Expert judgment is the only tool and technique that is part of the close project process
    • McClelland theory of needs, driven primarily by one of three needs.
    • Rolling wave – milestones are created at the end of each project phase
    • The project management lifecycle is universal to all projects, it has five process groups
    • Project Plan – product schedule, team member list, risk identification, risk analysis
    • CV = EV – AC (If less than 0, costs are higher)
    • SV = EV – PV
    • SV% = SV – EV
    • CPI – EV/AC
    • SPI = EV/PV
    • VAC = BAC - EAC
    • Customers most important stakeholders
    • A pareto chart is a special type of bar chart where values being plotted are arranged in descending order.
    • Vendor contract administration – vender disputes, progress reporting, vendor delay.
    • Once a defect is a repaired then there must be a defect repair review process
    • Team resources = staffing management plan
    • A PERT chart is a project tool used to schedule organize and coordinate tasks within a project
    • 55% of all communications are considered non-verbal
    • Hertzburg theory has hygiene
    • Perform integrated change control is the process of reviewing all change requests
    • A critical path = longest path
    • Project closure = project sponsor
    • Scope verification is a process in the monitoring and controlling group
    • Step funding describes incremental funding
    • Norming stage project team will settle into their roles
    • 42 project management process
    • Project scope created during planning
    • Sapir-Vhorf Hypothesis language a person speaks affects how the individual thinks
    • RACI = responsible, accountable, consult, inform
    • Dotted line (
    ) = dummy activity
    • CCPM is a method of planning and managing projects that puts more emphasis on the resources to execute the project tasks.
    • Configuration management system is responsible for controlling and documenting changes to the features and functions
    • Quality control is an inspection process
    • Quality assurance is a prevention process
    • Time, Cost, Scope
    • Sponsors have the greatest influence on scope, duration, and cost during planning
    • Last deliverable at close out is lessons learned
    • Free float and total float
    • Event chain diagram shows the relationship between events and tasks and how they affect each other
    • A project organization chart tracks each of the project team members and their reporting relationship
    • The best type of project ending is extinction
    • A program is a group of related projects
    • Risk response control occurs during the monitoring and controlling process
    • The initiation process group includes approving the project and authorizing work to being

What the heck is this? icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    It's study points for the Project+ certification, I guess he wanted to provide others with the key areas.
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    It's study points for the Project+ certification, I guess he wanted to provide others with the key areas.

Oh I see. He just threw the list without explaining what the content is, so icon_confused.gif: was lost. icon_lol.gif