Options

My CCIE Journey Has Officially Begun.

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks very much! I am glad this is a difficult process because it makes it worth it like you said. I'm glad this thread has been informative. Good luck on your journey!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Making another pass through IP Services and System Management now. This has been a really nice refresher and is helping with my confidence on these topics.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Has anyone taken a train to RTP? There are no direct flights from where I live to RTP.

I have been looking at taking a train and it looks like a good option, but I need to find a hotel between DNC and RTP so that I can take a shuttle from/to the train station as well as RTP.
  • Options
    wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    How would you rate the INE workbooks? Was thinking of dropping the full amount for the entire bundle. Work will pay for the lab tokens but I may have to fund the bundle. If there are better ones out there, I'm all ears.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Would be interested to know this too. I note that if one goes for the full 2 year bundle you get the lot for 2 years, and it's around £1250.

A lot of cash, but does include $500 worth of Lab tokens - which would save me buying most equipment. I like the sound of it.
  • Options
    How would you rate the INE workbooks? Was thinking of dropping the full amount for the entire bundle. Work will pay for the lab tokens but I may have to fund the bundle. If there are better ones out there, I'm all ears.

I've been thoroughly pleased with the INE material as well as their support. I haven't really looked at any other company's material so I might not be the best person to ask. I'm starting Narbik's TS workbook soon, but I haven't really looked at it in depth yet.
  • Options
  • Options
    Getting ready to start Narbik's TS workbook. I covered a lot of ground in INE's WBI and did a few WBII labs again.
  • Options
    I'm still grinding. Work (both jobs) got a little crazy, but I'm back in it now.
  • Options
    wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    Thanks for the feedback james. Just cleared the decks by knocking over my Voice (yay! no more call manager.... I wish lol). I'll be joining you shortly on the INE workbooks after I read a few books first. Not really sure where to start, I figured the OCG then routing tcp/ip 1+2 then start futzing around in labs and keep reading the other stuff (MPLS fundamentals, MPLS/VPN architectures etc.)

BTW for anyone thinking about buying INE, I signed up to their newsletter and they sent an ad for 50% off the CCIE videos. I queried them and said can I buy the workbooks instead (I HATE videos and already have all the books needed) and they agreed, so I ended up with the INE workbooks @ 50% off. Also I clarified with them that when they get updated for CCIE v5, you have access to the updated ones (for life actually!).

I've now spent a bundle but I think I have all expenses covered except for the actual exams and lab tokens, James since you're a year ahead of me let us know whether you think its necessary to buy Narbik as well if you go through all the INEs
  • Options
    Remember, CBAC wants to know about the initial flow (typically inside to outside)... You accomplish this via the CBAC inspection rule.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback james. Just cleared the decks by knocking over my Voice (yay! no more call manager.... I wish lol). I'll be joining you shortly on the INE workbooks after I read a few books first. Not really sure where to start, I figured the OCG then routing tcp/ip 1+2 then start futzing around in labs and keep reading the other stuff (MPLS fundamentals, MPLS/VPN architectures etc.)

BTW for anyone thinking about buying INE, I signed up to their newsletter and they sent an ad for 50% off the CCIE videos. I queried them and said can I buy the workbooks instead (I HATE videos and already have all the books needed) and they agreed, so I ended up with the INE workbooks @ 50% off. Also I clarified with them that when they get updated for CCIE v5, you have access to the updated ones (for life actually!).

I've now spent a bundle but I think I have all expenses covered except for the actual exams and lab tokens, James since you're a year ahead of me let us know whether you think its necessary to buy Narbik as well if you go through all the INEs

Sorry, for the delay, but I've been busy.

I haven't really gone through much of Narbik's material yet, but I do think INE's is comprehensive. I recommend hitting their 3 TS labs hard. They will help you to get over the shock of the large topology. Try to get to a bootcamp as well. Narbik's, INE, IPExpert, etc.
  • Options
    Helpful thread on ZBFW troubleshooting:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-15803

Helpful command to see if ZBFW is stopping traffic: ip inspect log drop-pkt
  • Options
    Keep this in mind:

EIGRP unicast update TTL=2
    EIGRP multicast update TTL=1

Interesting output:
    debug ip mpacket fastswitch
  • Options
    Lists a lot of important/relevant RFCs:
    Top-Down Network Design RFCs
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    How are your studies coming along? You're due for another attempt here pretty soon, aren't you?
  • Options
    bryguy wrote: »
    How are your studies coming along? You're due for another attempt here pretty soon, aren't you?

I'm still plugging away when I can. I have been insanely busy at both of my jobs (80-90 hours a week), but I feel like I am becoming a better overall network engineer, and my troubleshooting has definitely improved. We have an 11 month old as well so he's been really keeping me busy.

My job approved a second try in the first quarter of next year so I am preparing with that time frame as the goal.

My hours are a bit rough. I work 40 hours at one job during the weekedays, and then another 40 at my other job over the end of the week and weekend at nights. I don't get much sleep anymore, but my wife has hit some tough times in her field so I had to pick up her part as well to keep us on target. It bothers me that it dealt a blow to my studies, but I am determined to pass.
  • Options
    Just knocked out 4 hours. Felt good.
  • Options
    My employer is requesting that I take the CCNA Voice now so this will certainly change my plan. I'm thinking version 5 will certainly be out when I'm ready to take attempt #2.

I'm going to use INE's free CCNA Voice videos, the OCG, and piece together a lab at work. I'm hoping to knock this out in 2 months.
  • Options
    TIME TO RESUME THE QUEST:

Well, I started working for a partner about 6 months ago as a senior network architect and have been doing nothing but DC training/testing/studying ever since until last week. (in addition to planning/designing/implementations). My boss has requested that I resume my quest for the CCIE RS. Hope everyone else's journey is going well.

Current status:

-I have taken 1 shot at the previous blueprint lab, and failed. Speed and some knowledge gaps killed me. (namely, PfR)
    -My CCIE Written has lapsed so I have to take the v5 written.
    -There's one other engineer on my team and he is an IE and he quizzes me daily in an effort to get me ready.
    -I'm hoping to pass the written before October.

Has anyone taken and passed the v5 written?
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    This is one epic journey to greatness, I am sure you will achieve your goal sir, and good luck on nailing it to the wall in October! :D
  • Options
    ande0255 wrote: »
    This is one epic journey to greatness, I am sure you will achieve your goal sir, and good luck on nailing it to the wall in October! :D

Thanks so much! It has been a long, eventful journey, but it has been rewarding.
  • Options
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Thank you for the link.

My R/S Written is going to be expiring in the next few months here... My need to start looking at v5 material here soon.

Either that I am going to try and hit the DC Written before the R/S expires.

Just hate to shell out 400 bucks for a Written (granted my company reimburses me) that seems like a bit much every 18mo.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    The first v5 pass that I have heard of:

CCIE R&S passed - IEOC - INE's Online Community
  • Options
    lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    Thanks for the link, it's refreshing to know that the v5 is actually passable with the new DIAG section :)
  • Options
    My boss just paid for me to attend Narbik's 5 day boot camp that runs 10/20-10/24/14. I am extremely excited as I've wanted to take this course for some time now due to Narbik's reputation. It looks like an extremely intense schedule, but it's probably what I need.

Has anyone sat his v5 course yet?
  • Options
    You might run into an issue when trying to use TFTP for file transfers > 16M.

Field Notice: Cisco IOS TFTP Client Cannot Transfer Files Larger than 16MB in Size - Cisco
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    My boss just paid for me to attend Narbik's 5 day boot camp that runs 10/20-10/24/14. I am extremely excited as I've wanted to take this course for some time now due to Narbik's reputation. It looks like an extremely intense schedule, but it's probably what I need.

Has anyone sat his v5 course yet?
    Thursday will be hell for you but this is expected. Sleeping 2 to 3hrs everyday is what i did for more than 7 months. Get a lot of sleep. Narbik is definitely on a different level when it comes to Cisco. I would say Im a ninja but he is a Master of the masters. He knows that CLI very well. He also understands RFC. On top of that, he can prove to you that some cisco books got it all wrong.
  • Options
    Thank you. I've heard that he is intense, but worth every penny. I am really looking forward to it. Congrats on your pass!