Options

CCIE, here we go?!?!

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Well reading through IPv6 for Enterprise Networks. Figure I'd start with this one before I tackled Deploying IPv6 networks.

2 Chapter in so far. First chapter was a basic fluff section on why we need it, Second chapter was about network design I was having flashbacks of the DP icon_smile.gif. Not much IPv6 yet

Now to take a break an put some burgers on the grill!!

I'll be trying to get through Chapter 3 and 4 tonight. Sounds reasonable.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Chapter 3 was concerning IPv4 and IPv6 living together, showed off one or two configs but still covered the basics of dual stack IPv6 over IPv4 tunnels, NAT64. Not highly technical just a lot of theory still.

Next was network services just touched on multicast, routing, and QoS the chapter referenced Deploying IPv6 Networks for more indepth information, which I am ok with since I have that book to and will be hitting it right after this one. Once again little bit of config but nothing major, lot's hows and whys.

Fifth chapter was how to plan an IPv6 not technical but a good check list concerning things to look out for.

The next few chapter start with "deploying" so I'm hoping we get a bit more technical. (I got this book on my kindle app so I can easily the table of contents icon_smile.gif )

Enough reading for the night, got get ready for tomorrow. Hopefully I can knock another chapter or 2 tomorrow.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Sixth chapter was looooong, and covered a decent amount. Touched on QoS for IPv6, HSRP, routing protocols (just basics), and fair amount of basic design principles.

Next chapter was short, covered virtualization which is a broad and this chapter looked at everything from VRF, VSS, and destop/server virtualization.

Kindle says I'm at the 60% mark with 5 more chapters. I should be able to rea more on Wednesday, I've got some cut-overs scheduled till 10:30pm tomorrow night. Although I might spend some time labbing, IPv6 HSRP and some QoS along with some packet captures just for the indepth look/feel but that might not be till the weekend.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Just finished up IPv6 for Enterprise Networks. I'd say the book is 90% Theory 10% Configuration.

It doesn't really cover IPv6 in real depth from the perspective of how the protocol acts, but more-so how to incorporate it into your network (Big surprise there right) from a high level perspective. It does has some configuration snippets (HSRPv2, IPv6 routing protocols, basic IPv6 interface configs, ASA IPv6 configuration as far interface configuration and IPv6 VPN support), so it does give you a good foundation in regards to the configuration of IPv6.

I'd say it's like the tip of the iceberg, definitely a good book for beginning IPv6 studies. My one complaint with the book is the fact I found a few spelling errors (all cosmetic just a few missing letters just once or twice throughout the book nothing major) and some of the design snippets contradict what is pushed in the CCDP. (but hey if you haven't done the CCDP prior to reading this book you won't notice)

Now onward to Deploying IPv6 Networks as I continue labbing IPv6 topics.

(The last few chapters followed the same pace design practices, with a little configuration snippets (Branch, Data Center, Remote Access deployments). The final chapter discussed a pilot/prototype deployment methodology)
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    Just finished up IPv6 for Enterprise Networks. I'd say the book is 90% Theory 10% Configuration.

It doesn't really cover IPv6 in real depth from the perspective of how the protocol acts, but more-so how to incorporate it into your network (Big surprise there right) from a high level perspective. It does has some configuration snippets (HSRPv2, IPv6 routing protocols, basic IPv6 interface configs, ASA IPv6 configuration as far interface configuration and IPv6 VPN support), so it does give you a good foundation in regards to the configuration of IPv6.

I'd say it's like the tip of the iceberg, definitely a good book for beginning IPv6 studies. My one complaint with the book is the fact I found a few spelling errors (all cosmetic just a few missing letters just once or twice throughout the book nothing major) and some of the design snippets contradict what is pushed in the CCDP. (but hey if you haven't done the CCDP prior to reading this book you won't notice)
    I guess I can feel good about skipping this book since I already read IPv6 Theory, Protocol & Practice. I was already planning on reading Deploying IPv6 Networks first anyway. Thanks for the review.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    I just read through the first 2 chapters of Deploying IPv6 Networks, this definitely a much better book for "how IPv6 works", the chapter was typical hey here is IPv6 and here's a small history lesson on why we need it. The second chapter actually tells how IPv6 differs from IPv4, why we don't need ARP in IPv6 and how ICMPv6 behaves, MLD, packet formats, etc. A much more technical look at IPv6 then the previous book.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Another three chapters, some good information IPv6 services (DHCP, DNS), and touch on routing protocol support for IPv6, and QoS.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Finished up Deploying IPv6 Networks! I gotta say I'm happy I read this book second since IPv6 for the Enterprise was really theory based, this book covered IPv6 from more of the technical perspecitve, got into ICMPv6, routing protocols, MPLS, deployment/management and some security.

I'm going to doing a few blog posts on DMVPN for some co-workers but after that I'm gonna queue up some IPv6 stuff icon_smile.gif

Now to refresh myself on MPLS Fundamentals icon_smile.gif
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Doing some more labbing with MPLS. Gonna spend a few days on MPLS and go back and watch some more IE Videos.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Well, I've hit all the objectives on the blueprint for the written. I think I am going to go back and hit RMON, EEM, & SNMP in a little bit more depth.

My employer has actually invested in puchasing a lab, and got IPExpert workbooks so I am going to sit back and review until all that equipment arrives and gets cabled. Then I'll tackle the Written icon_smile.gif
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Been a while since my last update, but I'm still prepping for my Written I am really going to try to get to that this month, the last few weeks at work have just been a killer.

That and I've accepted another position which I start in two weeks, I'll be going in as a sr. engineer! icon_smile.gif Really can't wait it will be nice to be a part of an on call rotation and not on call 24/7/365 which should allow to stabalize my personal life (and study time) a bit more instead of working constantly.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Still reading and labbing. Hoping to take the Written next month, at this point I'm just holding off on taking the written till I finish my lab at home.

Started a new job last week, so I got a little learning curve with this new position. This place is pretty ASA/IPS heavy , but they are looking for a few re-designs so I'm jumping in pretty quickly.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Found some MSTP config guides to play around with icon_smile.gif

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_40_se/configuration/guide/swmstp.pdf

Catalyst 3560 Software Configuration Guide, Release 12.2(52)SE - Configuring MSTP  [Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems

That and I got an MSTP migration coming up soon.

Gonna be labbing MSTP with the 6 switches, multi-regions/load balancing certain VLANs should take me a few nights.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Well, I'm pretty much adjusted to my new job, it's a smaller environment from my last position but it's bundled with redundancy, quality vs. quantity is always better.

The rest of my IE Lab should arriving tomorrow according to my UPS tracking information, can't wait to get that racked and powered on!

Then I'll probably just buy the INE workbooks, I guess I'll buy them in PDF format. Did you guys buy your workbooks in PDF format or physical book?
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good to see the progress. I have been using mine in PDF format.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Looks like one of my WIC-2Ts are bad, and it looks like my NM-8A/S is causing my routers to crash generating watchdog errors icon_sad.gif

Still closer then what I was last week.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    That's part of the fun and joy of working with real equipment. I can't wait to complete my lab either. Great blog by the way, I read a couple posts the other day.
  • Options
    Yea, the WIC-2T definitely has a bad port.

The NM-8A/S seems works fine in my 2621xm but continues to crash my 2610xm and 2620xm. Maybe 4 Multilinks were a bit too much for the 2610xm icon_smile.gif I'll have to work the NM a bit more this weekend.

Thanks bud! and I finally decided on a domain name for it last week icon_smile.gif My new job is a bit more balanced so I'm gonna be trying for my weekly blog posts again!
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    Yea, the WIC-2T definitely has a bad port.

The NM-8A/S seems works fine in my 2621xm but continues to crash my 2610xm and 2620xm. Maybe 4 Multilinks were a bit too much for the 2610xm icon_smile.gif I'll have to work the NM a bit more this weekend.

Thanks bud! and I finally decided on a domain name for it last week icon_smile.gif My new job is a bit more balanced so I'm gonna be trying for my weekly blog posts again!
    I had a similar issue with that same NM a long time ago when I was getting my CCNA lab together. It would work on my 2691 but not the 2610. I made it a point to really jam it in there, and it eventually worked.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    There are definitely NM-8A/S that don't really work well with certain models but are just fine with others. I've seen ones that partly work or just hang in 3600s but are just fine in 2600s and vice versa. It's odd beans. I have an old 3640 which will be the FRS when I can order a NM-8A/S for it.
  • Options
    I'll have to try and force it in a little bit more. Might drop the IOS to AdvIPServs, that be good for the RFS right?

Worst case I have a 3725 in my closet I use the module. I was just trying to save on rack space since my 24U rack is filling up.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Well it appears the NM-8A/S works fine if I don't shove it in the slot all the way.

Running for a few hours after a bunch of reloads and not a single crash.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Well that didn't turn out to be the case.... I'm going to return the module to the seller it came with a 30-day warranty.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you get a working one soon!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    Same here since this faulty hardware is standing between me and my IE Lab studies!! (And of course it's got be the frame-switch that gives me problems)
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    If I wasn't using it for my lab I'd send you my NM-4A/S(s). I have a few of them that I stuck in a 3600 series for frame relay switching
  • Options
    No worries man, I contacted the seller and he was pretty responsive. So I might be sending it back to him. And I got the replaceming WIC-2T on its way already. So I'll have this squared away soon.

Aiming to be tackling the first workbook this weekend!
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    When working on Vol 1:

-Verify everything! It's not just the configuration but also the debug/show commands that matter! The sooner you get these under your fingers, better/faster you will be on troubleshooting.
    -Even if it seems trivial, read the solution in the back. Many of the solutions contain additional possibilities and tips!
    -Write it down in notepad before you paste it in to the device. This will help you reinforce the command set AND give practice for the lab attempt.
    -Think how the commands impact other technologies on other devices. This is especially true for routing! Get in the practice of understanding how other devices are influenced BEFORE you enter the command. Verify with show commands!
    -When possible, rework the scenario with an alternate solution. If you used a route-map, could you have manipulated a cost metric? Would route summaries have worked? How else can you influence path selection to get that result!

and most importantly... Have fun! It's a long journey and the more fun you have with it, the more you will enjoy it! Good Luck!
  • Options
    If I didn't love this stuff, trust me I would be a server guy icon_smile.gif
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    These are great points and will really help you grow. I especially enjoyed the statement about thinking of how commands will impact other technologies on other devices. This is true not just for the lab, but in real life as well.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."