How to study for the CCENT/CCNA. [Tutorial]

Comments

• IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JeanM wrote: »
    +1, really good stuff!

if you don't know it, try and learn it..(youtube included)
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Who said anything about trying to learn? You'll learn something from doing!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Illumanati wrote: »
    if you don't know it, try and learn it..(youtube included)

Confused.....as usual with your posts.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • dcren21dcren21 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know it's been said but this is a great post. Thanks to this forum and members like you I have finally gotten off my arse to work on completing my CCNA studies by the end of this year. I check the forums daily and there is never a shortage of good help here. Thanks again for this post. I know plenty of people that aren't techexams members that I will be directing to it.
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (Start Date 8/1/12) : Transferred | Required | In Progress | Completed
    AGC1 BBC1 LAE1 LUT1 QBT1 INT1 BVC1 RIT1 INC1 CUV1 BOV1 GAC1 HHT1 DHV1 CSV1 QLT1 IWC1 IWT1 DJV1 KET1 TPV1 CVV1 CJV1 KFT1 SBT1 RGT1 CTV1 CNV1 CQV1 COV1 AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1 MGC1 BNC1
  • neoteslaneotesla Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here's my small contribution (the more experienced ppls will probably chuckle at this). But I found it a useful setup for following ICND1 CBT Nuggets, especially the routing section. And it helps CLI practice in general.

cbtsetupwnatandvbxppc9s.th.jpg

This virtual contraption I made from a Virtual Box XP machine (that has on it Tftpd32, Tera Term, Cisco SDM) attached as a "cloud" onto GSM3 topology as shown in the pic (which is pretty much the same as used by Jeremy Cioara throught the first CD of CBT Nuggets - I had to change some details). On the other end of topology I attached another cloud, this is a "Microsoft Loopback" interface (on the actual host PC) that is bridged onto the actual PC's Ethernet interface which is connected to the Internet.

With this setup I am able to practice RIP, telnet and SSH, the use of SDM for setting up NAT, and the like. And, yes, tftp operations, as well. Now it all works a treat, but in order to set it up, I've had to jump through some hoops. (Note: there are some useful YouTube videos on setting GNS3 up. Search for them).

(For anyone inexperienced who attempts similar use of GNS3 an important note - always run it as administrator. I've actually changed the properties of the GNS3 icon on my Win7 Desktop so that it will always start as run by admin. On the same note, if you add / change any interfaces on the host machine, you'll have to restart the PC, otherwise the GNS3 won't "know" about them).

Well, so much for my lab fun for today, I've got to go back to icon_study.gif now, this Odom book is endless.
    Roguetadhg wrote: »

Can't wait to put Cisco in my life...class set to start in T minus 2 days!!
  • Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    I did a boot camp for my CCNA (Which I need to renew) After I had finished it my head was a shed. But I had the hands on knowledge that I needed and a idea of what I understood and what I did not. I then spent a month and a half re-reading the CCNA Books and labbing my ass off.

I had just left the military and not knowing any better I did the boot camp. To be fair am glad I did as it gave me a good grounding to plan my own studies.
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Awesome thread, Rouguetaghg. :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    I did a boot camp for my CCNA (Which I need to renew) After I had finished it my head was a shed. But I had the hands on knowledge that I needed and a idea of what I understood and what I did not. I then spent a month and a half re-reading the CCNA Books and labbing my ass off.

I had just left the military and not knowing any better I did the boot camp. To be fair am glad I did as it gave me a good grounding to plan my own studies.

I am planning on labbing my ass off during my exploration course. I will have to get around to reading the books.
  • staticzstaticz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm focused on getting my CCNA within 6 months. My current goal is to get a lab setup this week and begin my studies (GNS3 and 3 2960s sound ok?). I just received my book order from Amazon (went with the set from Odom) and also have the INE bootcamp downloaded. My goal for ICDN1 is to work through a chapter a night and pair that with a matching video and lab the next day. With 24 chapters in Odom's ICDN1 book that puts me at about a 48 days to get through all the material. Does that seem like a decent plan?

ICDN1 in 50-55 days and then another 60 for ICDN2, which will leave me with some fudge factor if I get stuck on a subject or don't pass a test icon_redface.gif
  • TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    The best way I find is to watch the videos (if it's like CBT nuggets) first. They don't go into enough detail but are good at explaining the basics. I wouldn't set a 'chapter a night' target because some chapters are longer than others. I'd set a page target instead. That way you can target 60 pages for example and if you feel up to it you can read more. Some chapters you'll fly through and this method allows you to keep at your own pace but still maintain a minimum completion time.

Slightly off-topic, Why isn't this thread stickied already?
  • MischiefMischief Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My Goal is to be CCNA before 2013, I will take the test dressed as Santa.

Watching
    CBT Nuggets
    Train Signal
    INE CCNA Streaming option (Free Promo)

Reward for Passing
    2x 120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head
    If you take pictures of your ccna pass score as santa. I will take my CCNA:Security as Link. Without the sword... or shield. pointy ears might count as weapons too, or cheating. But I doubt they have "ear shapes" as cheating.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

So...building out my lab I basically have my choice of switches. We have everything from 2950s up to 3750x's at my disposal. The problem is a lack of routers. If I take my workstation and slap 3 more NICs into it can I just run GNS3 and be done with the router piece?
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    staticz wrote: »
    So...building out my lab I basically have my choice of switches. We have everything from 2950s up to 3750x's at my disposal. The problem is a lack of routers. If I take my workstation and slap 3 more NICs into it can I just run GNS3 and be done with the router piece?
    You certainly can. You miss out on the fun of WIC/NM cards and getting all the right cables though.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    You certainly can. You miss out on the fun of WIC/NM cards and getting all the right cables though.

If I didn't have such a tight deadline I'd love to do that. My plan is to use work equipment while I slowly phase in my own equipment. So GNS3 and work switches until I can buy my own equipment!
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    staticz wrote: »
    If I didn't have such a tight deadline I'd love to do that. My plan is to use work equipment while I slowly phase in my own equipment. So GNS3 and work switches until I can buy my own equipment!
    Staticz, choose the 3750 to connect GNS3 to your other switches. You will thank me later. :)

(To learn why and good ways to do so, Google 3750 & GNS3 & "breakout switch".)
    Staticz, choose the 3750 to connect GNS3 to your other switches. You will thank me later. :)

(To learn why and good ways to do so, Google 3750 & GNS3 & "breakout switch".)

So instead of getting 3 NICs (one for each router) I can just use the 3750 and trunk back to my PC?

EDIT: Ok the more I read about that...I'm pretty stoked to use it.
  • gster70gster70 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□

[h=1]“Do or do not... there is no try.”-Yoda[/h]
  • Paul6Paul6 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am brand new to Cisco and I am considering buying Cisco's $699.00 CCNA Premium Study bundle. Does anyone have any thoughts on this bundle? The thing that attracts me the most is the Study Planner which takes you step by step what you need to study to prepare for the exam. The only major downside I see is the voucher they provide is for the combined CCNA exam.

I'm not sure if I really want to spend all this money, especially when I could use it to buy routers and switches. But it would be nice to have a step by step guide to the exam.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Paul6 wrote: »
    I am brand new to Cisco I am considering buying Cisco's $699.00 CCNA Premium Study bundle. Does anyone have any thoughts on this bundle? The thing that attracts me the most is Study Planner which takes you step by step what you need to study to prepare for the exam. The only major downside I see is the voucher they provide is for the combined CCNA exam.

I'm not sure if I really want to spend all this money, especially when I could use it to buy routers and switches. But it would be nice to have a step by step guide to the exam.
    Considering the multitude of good, free study resources for the CCNA, paying $700 for a step by step guide seems excessive. A nice lab and a sub to Safari Books >>>> whatever they are selling and cheaper to boot.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Paul6Paul6 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback. I ended up ordering Wendell Odom's CCNA 640-802 Official Cert Library, Simulator Edition, Updated (3rd Edition) off Amazon for $125.99. (The $700 Cisco package included this, but it was just the eBook version). I am making it my goal to go through the entire 1500 pages, and to do all the book questions and simulator exercises.
  • riahc3riahc3 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like your comments about motivation; For me its the (second) hardest part. To keep going. Keep studying. Hours and hours and hours "lost"..............but in the end, you win so much more (eg: a salary)

6 months would be more for me like 8-12. Thats why investing in the CCENT/CCNA is something that is so pushing me away.
    I've tried to exaggerate that motivational story a bit. I wanted to try to make sure that it was pronounced. I wanted to try to instill the feeling of "Yes, you will second guess yourself."

The purpose isn't to push people away, but more so to understand that "It'll take time". It may not take you 4 hours or studying. It may be just 30 minutes here and there.

More and more as you like it, you'll find a spot for it. I remember waking up to play SEGA before school, without volume, in the dark so no one would know. Of course, parents knew why I was tired when I came home from school.

Yes. Money is a motivating factor. It helps. But for me Money is a distant goal. I don't get a fat pay raise with a new certification. I get the opposite (almost), people don't want me to get certifications here! So saying "Money" isn't motivating for me as the effect of my Cisco Certs. Because immediately, there isn't any.

It's a bit long-winded. But I tried to go through my own train of thought about last night. Here's something that might help. I don't know if it will. But I took a lot of time to look in on myself:

When I read Cisco books, until recently - like yesturday, recent. I've always had the question hounding me in the head: "This is boring." "I should be killing dragons on Skyrim." "I want to browse TechExams to see if I can help people."

If you find it hard to enjoy reading, which is a very large barrier for me. It still is, until recently where I stared at the forums thinking to myself:

I asked a question, which to me seems like a normal question. But I tried to look at it differently. I asked more questions: Why.

Do I enjoy reading?
    No.
    But I'm reading X right now. So that can't be true.

Why do I dislike reading the books? Why is it hard for me to open a book and read?
    ... When I boiled it down, it's all words. Yes, Words. I'm reading as I type now, for example. I could be reading a book. I read while I play video games. I read while on HardOCP. I read the "Self Test Feature Check" bouncing around the screen next to me... Not anymore, I just turned it off.

But for me "Reading" is something that was really difficult for me.

So after I boiled it down to the fact that "I read everywhere, all the time", it made it a lot dumber for me to accept the excuse:
    "I don't like to read". Because I do like to read!

With that question semi-answered, it needed new questions:

So why do I still don't like to read the Cisco books?

Why I don't like to read the Cisco Books?
    Because I'm a doer. Yes. I do things, I'm not a reading person.

Currently, I'm studying for the CCNA:Security.. which has a lot of "doing" So that's not possible. There's tons of configurations and troubleshooting! The author states: You'll need to know how to do this in Command Line and GUI. So I can do things with the cisco book.

The answer must be: I choose not to do things. Oh hell. Boy, that spits in my face. Doesn't it? I decided that I don't want to do it. Not only that. I then make up an excuse that I'm a doer to cover up for the fact I've been lying to myself.

To prove it to myself even more... I like to work on Jessica (My other half) Beetle. For what it's worth using a hammer to dislodge the Alternator from the car's grips was fun. I was doing this. How did I know that this heavy thing is an alternator? How did I know how to hit it, where to hit it? How about where the belt goes... I read. I read forums, lots of websites. Prices. I was doing because I read.

Okay. So I spit in the wind. A lot.

So do I enjoy the material I read?
    Yes. I do honestly enjoy the material.

Do I really enjoy the material or am I just trying to fool myself?

I look back into CCENT/CCNA days, grinding out the commands. Looking at things, realizing that X is not Y and that B uses X to do it's business. I feel excited to remember how the puzzle works and fits together. I only feel this way driving cars.

I do, really, enjoy this stuff.

So what is my problem for not wanting to read what I enjoy reading?
    Me. It might be emotion. it might be a way of thinking. It might be because I'm lazy. It might be because I've never been called "studious" or anything that could resemble a "reader".

If it's being lazy, then I have no chance in getting a career I could actually be proud about.

These are my questions I asked myself last night. It came to a bit of a surprise just how deep I could get with questions. Then afterwards I started to question a lot of other things. Asking questions that I didn't think needed to be asked. Questions that I felt, to me, that I needed to improve myself.

It's a bit of self-help, but it's what I did. I can tell you, it's definitely different. I don't get the questions in my head nagging me:
    "This is boring". "I should be playing Skyrim". Instead, all I have is a feeling of "Awesome"

• FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow rogue great post!! I can really relate to you and how you feel when reading

Me. It might be emotion. it might be a way of thinking. It might be because I'm lazy. It might be because I've never been called "studious" or anything that could resemble a "reader".

If it's being lazy, then I have no chance in getting a career I could actually be proud about.

These are my questions I asked myself last night. It came to a bit of a surprise just how deep I could get with questions. Then afterwards I started to question a lot of other things. Asking questions that I didn't think needed to be asked. Questions that I felt, to me, that I needed to improve myself.

It's a bit of self-help, but it's what I did. I can tell you, it's definitely different. I don't get the questions in my head nagging me:
    "This is boring". "I should be playing Skyrim". Instead, all I have is a feeling of "Awesome"

I love how you prefaced this and I love how you asked self-directed questions in order to self-help!! I now feel like I am a doer EVEN WHEN I'M READING even though I am a doer just like you and dont like to read because it feels too passive but it's just "a way of thinking" like you said(above)!! It could be my emotions too which you hit upon because I am emotional but I didn't correlate that to why i don't like to read!

I read the newspaper so I can't say I don't read! It's that easy! You just have to make some time for it and get it done!
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Roguetadhq, kudos for the efforts and time you have put into writing this tutorial!
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
    To prove it to myself even more... I like to work on Jessica (My other half) Beetle. For what it's worth using a hammer to dislodge the Alternator from the car's grips was fun. I was doing this. How did I know that this heavy thing is an alternator? How did I know how to hit it, where to hit it? How about where the belt goes... I read. I read forums, lots of websites. Prices. I was doing because I read. All I have is a feeling of "Awesome"

In conclusion, yes, reading is doing! (Think of it like this: you're constantly placing and moving things around in your head/mind and try to pretend you're playing a sport or hitting that alternator with a hammer!)

So why do I still don't like to read the Cisco books?

Why I don't like to read the Cisco Books?
    Because I'm a doer. Yes. I do things, I'm not a reading person.

Currently, I'm studying for the CCNA:Security.. which has a lot of "doing" So that's not possible. There's tons of configurations and troubleshooting! The author states: You'll need to know how to do this in Command Line and GUI. So I can do things with the cisco book.

The answer must be: I choose not to do things. Oh hell. Boy, that spits in my face. Doesn't it? I decided that I don't want to do it. Not only that. I then make up an excuse that I'm a doer to cover up for the fact I've been lying to myself.

It's a bit of self-help, but it's what I did.
    I can tell you, it's definitely different. I don't get the questions in my head nagging me:

You are a DOER BECAUSE YOU ARE A READER!! I am glad you had those same question I and maybe a lot of others have! Great post and I think this could be stickied!
  • BlowindoeBlowindoe Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    great thread. thank you
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    @Roguetadhg I was advised to always take the single CCNA composite exam because it will earn the CCNA by answering fewer exam items (45-55) versus taking the two ICND1/ICND2 exams, where earning the CCNA requires answering double the number of exam items (40-50 items each exam). As you pointed out, it might also be true that fewer topics are covered on the single composite exam as well. Your thoughts on this?

Your point about the cost savings of the two-exam track if failing one or two of the ICND exams is valid and worth considering too.