Options

NEW CCNA Exams Announced!!

Comments

• Options
    todd@lammle.comtodd@lammle.com Banned Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here is a URL that I provide to my students to help with subnetting, after they read my book of course:
    IP Subnet Practice Page | Lammle.com

Keep up the good work!
    Todd Lammle
  • Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    Maybe the CCNA Security, Wireless, ect.. would hold a higher ranking then just Cisco (insert title here)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yea, right?? Well Cisco is saying you don't have to know R/S if you want to go into Security now! No, I don't like this, but then they do not ask for my thoughts on the matter.
    Todd

Where are they saying that? You don't have to get certified in something to know it.

I don't see the point of having to get a CCNA and CCNA Security if you know you want to go down the Security track. This is actually helping people save money. Not something Cisco does often.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Where are they saying that? You don't have to get certified in something to know it.

I don't see the point of having to get a CCNA and CCNA Security if you know you want to go down the Security track. This is actually helping people save money. Not something Cisco does often.

Thats exactly what I was saying, I mean I know you have to know routing and switching but do you HAVE to spend money on a whole other cert to get the basics, cant they just include R&S in those specialty CCNA courses, I guess that makes too much sense and cisco cant make more money.
  • Options
    Thanks for your post! I am interested in people's thoughts on these new paths.
    it is rare for cisco to do something that would take money from them!
    Do you feel that less people will take the CCNA now?
    I guess I am wondering if I should write a new book or not now...what do you think?
  • Options
    no, Cisco still controls a large market and businesses will want someone with certs and most of all experience.
  • Options
    ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I guess I am wondering if I should write a new book or not now...what do you think?

I would say people like myself who are just starting out in the networking field, will still get the CCNA. I believe having the CCNA is still a big advantage to land an entry job compared to an applicant without the CCNA. Just my two cents :)

But yes, this new direction does make it harder for me to find motivation to complete the ICND2 icon_sad.gif
    Goal 2013: CCENT (x); CCNA(x); Security+(x); ITIL Foundation ( )
  • Options

I think a lot of people will still do CCNA, but probably less now that know where they want to specialize can go straight to it. Same with the CCENT, it's not needed by any means, but plenty people still do it as it's the Cisco starting point. Most people new to networking will probably still look at CCNA first.

Maybe you can just write a book for all the CCNA exams. :D
  • Options
    Well, I have the CCNA R/S, CCNA Wireless and am finishing the CCNA Data Center. I am stil wondering if I should update CCNA R/S or not....it's a LOT of work!
  • Options
    amcloneamclone Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Working on CCNP Switch.
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    I highly doubt they consider removing the CCNA requirement a loss of revenue. There is probably an extremely large amount of people that obtain 1 maybe 2 certifications and are then gone from the IT world. Maybe they want to do what they can to target the people that pursue the CompTIA A+/N+/S+ for an IT knowledge foundation (probably not the A+ as much, but I don't see a whole lot of value there anyway). CCENT/Cisco Voice/Cisco Security seems like it would be a good foundation of knowledge.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is terrible news, the CCNA being a pre-req has helped tons and tons of engineers. Imagine getting into ovice or any other cert without knowing the underlining theory and basics?

Oh well i hope they leave the CCNP alone. I was thinking about buying the books
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    krjay wrote: »
    I highly doubt they consider removing the CCNA requirement a loss of revenue. There is probably an extremely large amount of people that obtain 1 maybe 2 certifications and are then gone from the IT world. Maybe they want to do what they can to target the people that pursue the CompTIA A+/N+/S+ for an IT knowledge foundation (probably not the A+ as much, but I don't see a whole lot of value there anyway). CCENT/Cisco Voice/Cisco Security seems like it would be a good foundation of knowledge.

I know it seems crazy, but yes, they have announced that the CCNA is no longer a requirement! Unbelievable!
  • Options
    Learning does not equal certification. If I planned on going for the Voice or Wireless track I'd probably skip the CCNA if it wasn't a pre-req.

Though i see your point and its a valid one. I think having the CCNA is a great thing because its a foundation to build on
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I guess I could see not having the CCNA as a prereq if you had a working environment that had HP or Juniper switches/routers, but used a Cisco ASA or had a Cisco phone system.

Personally, I still think you should have the foundation knowledge.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Where has this security/voice information been announced?
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    By the way Todd,

I think having a 2800 series in your lab is still good as it runs the 15.x ios, though i think the 2600 series market on Ebay has just been crushed :)
  • Options
    Rodzilla GRodzilla G Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So I have a question. Should I then go after the ICND1 & ICND2 then or wait for the curriculum? I am a person who doesn't have any actual experience, just wanting to get out of doing desktop support for the rest of my life. So I failed (twice) while taking the CCNA. And now am deciding to take the ICND1/ICND2 (CCENT) approach. I am now confused on what I should do if the test changes in just a few months. Any advice Todd? Thanks,

Rod
  • Options
    Rodzilla G wrote: »
    So I have a question. Should I then go after the ICND1 & ICND2 then or wait for the curriculum? I am a person who doesn't have any actual experience, just wanting to get out of doing desktop support for the rest of my life. So I failed (twice) while taking the CCNA. And now am deciding to take the ICND1/ICND2 (CCENT) approach. I am now confused on what I should do if the test changes in just a few months. Any advice Todd? Thanks,

Rod

Rod, although the news today is disapointing in some ways, it shoudn't interfer with your current plans. Sure, you'll have to learn more technologies, but that is good for you! Learning Advanced EIGRP and multi-area OSPF as well as more IPv6 will make you more valuable! The exams/objectives are not changing that much where this should stop you from studying or giving up! Start with the current books/labs/classes avialable and then evolve to the newer technologies when are you ready. Try not to stress! :)
  • Options
    JustFred wrote: »
    By the way Todd,

I think having a 2800 series in your lab is still good as it runs the 15.x ios, though i think the 2600 series market on Ebay has just been crushed :)

Yes, 2600 routers are now worth about $5! In reality though, having them in your lab is not a bad thing as they still do routing! The 15.x code is not that different where you have to run out and upgrade all your routers. Sure, you need some, but not all of them have to be 15.x code for you to be sucessful on the CCNA/NP
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□

I think a few less people will take it, however I think companies (for at least a few years to come) will look at the CCNA as a standard that ranks higher than the others. I am only saying this because I watch job boards and I see tons of jobs with CCNA required but hardly ever see them that require CCNA Security, Wireless, ect.

maybe this new system will change that!
  • Options
    Thank you for the reply Todd...but I guess either I am still confused or my mind is just freaking over this news. Sorry for being a pain....but my understanding from your post is to continue to study for the ICND1 and hopefully ICND2 as if this announcement had never came about??? I am just not sure If I can get both certs completed by the Sept deadline. I have given myself probably around late May/early June to take the ICND1, but although I hope to pass, that will not give me much time left for the 2nd part in September. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to make excuses, I want the CCNA cert more than any cert at the moment. I am just wondering if having an ICND1 under the former format, if the ICND2 in the newer format.......would that complicate things? Thanks for your insights (can't believe, I am talking to Todd Lammle) :)
  • Options
    Usually Cisco will let you mix and match old and new exams. So if you get ICND1 done by September it will most likely still count towards the new ICND2 exam. By then everything will be officially announced by Cisco and you can plan accordingly.
  • Options
    being a Cisco nerd i'll probably throw the new book series into my library lol
  • Options
    Usually Cisco will let you mix and match old and new exams. So if you get ICND1 done by September it will most likely still count towards the new ICND2 exam. By then everything will be officially announced by Cisco and you can plan accordingly.

Thanks for the information. Took the CCNA exam yesterday, and walked away dejected/frustrated. But I am so glad I found this site to have people such as all of you helping with insights and info for newbies such as myself.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    QUESTION: Will you still take the CCNA if you don't have to and just go for Wireless, Voice, Security? I feel like Cisco is ruining the cert like microsoft did to the MCSE. I am very curious to what others think about this all-so-important topic!
    I do subscribe to the opinion that "you can't fix or secure what you don't understand," so I consider the R/S knowledge and skills in the CCNA to be necessary for all net op sec people.
  • Options
    Rodzilla G wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply Todd...but I guess either I am still confused or my mind is just freaking over this news. Sorry for being a pain....but my understanding from your post is to continue to study for the ICND1 and hopefully ICND2 as if this announcement had never came about??? I am just not sure If I can get both certs completed by the Sept deadline. I have given myself probably around late May/early June to take the ICND1, but although I hope to pass, that will not give me much time left for the 2nd part in September. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to make excuses, I want the CCNA cert more than any cert at the moment. I am just wondering if having an ICND1 under the former format, if the ICND2 in the newer format.......would that complicate things? Thanks for your insights (can't believe, I am talking to Todd Lammle) :)

You're going to be fine. Just take your time and study the current ICND1. If in a week we find out that you can't mix and match from the current to the new exams, then you'll just take the two new exams.
    Todd
  • Options
    You're going to be fine. Just take your time and study the current ICND1. If in a week we find out that you can't mix and match from the current to the new exams, then you'll just take the two new exams.
    Todd

Thank you sir!
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I do subscribe to the opinion that "you can't fix or secure what you don't understand," so I consider the R/S knowledge and skills in the CCNA to be necessary for all op sec people.

Thanks for the great post! I feel the same way, and I dont' understand why Cisco does not, but I think most companies will continue to require CCNA for a least a while! At least that thought will keep me motivated to write/update my CCNA books! I just wish I had more time. UGH!
    Todd
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So I have until September 30th to pass the ICND 1,2

I was planning to have the CCENT/CCNA done by August so this is the extra motivation push to finish it icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63