Options

Microsoft offering FREE exam voucher for Exam 74-409: Server Virtualization w/ HyperV

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Peterm44Peterm44 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Some questions are worth more than others with Microsoft exams.
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Passed yesterday with 850, using only the videos and ppt slides from MVA, as well as a couple of the links provided at the end of each day. Experience with MS tests was definitely helpful, knowing how to eliminate usually a couple of answers then choosing between the other two, and knowing MS's propensity towards making sure you know the new stuff (vhds and gen2 for example)

not sure where to go next
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    Piers wrote: »
    Passed yesterday with 850, using only the videos and ppt slides from MVA, as well as a couple of the links provided at the end of each day. Experience with MS tests was definitely helpful, knowing how to eliminate usually a couple of answers then choosing between the other two, and knowing MS's propensity towards making sure you know the new stuff (vhds and gen2 for example)

not sure where to go next

For those have taken+passed... are the slides enough? I have some pretty basic knowledge of virtualization and the VMware side of things but really limited Hyper-V exposure.

Reason I ask is because after I watched the first 3 videos the slides seem to be a carbon copy of everything that's important from within them.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    burfect wrote: »
    For those have taken+passed... are the slides enough? I have some pretty basic knowledge of virtualization and the VMware side of things but really limited Hyper-V exposure.

Reason I ask is because after I watched the first 3 videos the slides seem to be a carbon copy of everything that's important from within them.

Geeze man, just watch the videos!
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    cg1967cg1967 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed today. I used the MVA jump start, slides and Sybex book. I've been using Hyper-V and System Centre for a few years which helped too
  • Options
    SolitonSoliton Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats all! Glad you guys are going at it, free certs are the best brain and resume stuffers..
    ~ A+ - Passed ~ CCNA - In Progress
    Your Recommended daily dose of security and privacy -> My Blog
  • Options
    hell911hell911 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a question. I am not working, no experience at all in virtualization, no certifications yet, only used VMware (basic stuff) that's it. This is my first certification test. So for this certification, should I just watch the videos and go through the slides in this site?

Server Virtualization with Hyper-V & System Center Training - Microsoft Virtual Academy

And I only have 14 days to review (no work, no school, free time, I can review all day), Can I pass this exam w/o any experience in virtualization?
  • Options
    J.TotJ.Tot Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hell911 wrote: »
    I have a question. I am not working, no experience at all in virtualization, no certifications yet, only used VMware (basic stuff) that's it. This is my first certification test. So for this certification, should I just watch the videos and go through the slides in this site?

Server Virtualization with Hyper-V & System Center Training - Microsoft Virtual Academy

And I only have 14 days to review (no work, no school, free time, I can review all day), Can I pass this exam w/o any experience in visualization?

If you're good with memorization then Maybe. But more than likely not, two weeks is not enough time if you aren't familiar witht he technologies. Understanding everything takes more hand's on knowledge.

I passed in Feb with a fairly high score, I never touched Hyper-V before that, but have had some Vmware experience.

I Studied the following :
    • MVA Course : Watched like 4 times, took notes on everything
    • MVA Alternative Hyper-V Videos : Just search for Hyper-v, there are a ton of them, some older, but still relevant.
    • CBT Nuggets : Hyper-V videos
    • Youtube : Anything 74-409 or Hyper-V Related I could tolerate
    • Technet : Articles on all topics
    Finally I setup a nested lab and played around with what I could, I didn't get to play much with VMM, Orchestrator or DPM before my exam, but you definitely want to study those for the course objective.
    VCP5 : [X] | VCP6 : [X] | MCSE : 70-412 [X] , 70-417 [ ] , 70-413 [ ] , 70-414 [ ] | VCAP : [ ]
  • Options

And I only have 14 days to review (no work, no school, free time, I can review all day), Can I pass this exam w/o any experience in virtualization?

Probably not.
    VCP5 : [X] | VCP6 : [X] | MCSE : 70-412 [X] , 70-417 [ ] , 70-413 [ ] , 70-414 [ ] | VCAP : [ ]
  • Options
    J.Tot wrote: »
    Probably not.

What should I do to pass the exam, i still have 3 weeks to go before the exam.
  • Options
    What should I do to pass the exam, i still have 3 weeks to go before the exam.

With no prior knowledge this would be extremely difficult. I hadn't used Server 2012 prior to taking this exam but I've used 2008 R2 and older for years, I'm a MCSA/MCSE for 2000-2003, and know Windows in and out fairly well.

Watch the MVA videos here : Server Virtualization with Hyper-V & System Center Training - Microsoft Virtual Academy

Study, take notes. Watch it 3x times. MVA course + technet was all I really needed, but I had more experience. You probably don't have the time lab really. If you want you could download Windows Server 2012 trial and play with it.

Also try some of the technet virtual labs :
    TechNet Virtual Labs

Key points to learn for the exam :
    How VMM/System Center ties together, how to enable features/monitoring
    How DPM servers are set up, what rules are there, what can they back up, how many you need(One DPM servers can backup an separate domains as long as their linked or in a forest)
    How to enable/configure Nic teaming via powershell.
  • Options
    ^
    i know about windows server 2008 (not 2012 though)
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    J.Tot wrote: »
    With no prior knowledge this would be extremely difficult. I hadn't used Server 2012 prior to taking this exam but I've used 2008 R2 and older for years, I'm a MCSA/MCSE for 2000-2003, and know Windows in and out fairly well.

Watch the MVA videos here : Server Virtualization with Hyper-V & System Center Training - Microsoft Virtual Academy

Study, take notes. Watch it 3x times. MVA course + technet was all I really needed, but I had more experience. You probably don't have the time lab really. If you want you could download Windows Server 2012 trial and play with it.

Also try some of the technet virtual labs :
    TechNet Virtual Labs

Key points to learn for the exam :
    How VMM/System Center ties together, how to enable features/monitoring
    How DPM servers are set up, what rules are there, what can they back up, how many you need(One DPM servers can backup an separate domains as long as their linked or in a forest)
    How to enable/configure Nic teaming via powershell.

This is a great overview!

I would completely disagree that it would be 'extremely difficult" to pass this with 3 weeks and no knowledge. I have minimal server knowledge and I crammed and knocked this out (although not very impressively might I add) in 2 weeks. I just did essentially what you mention above. I did the MVAs and videos once. I printed out the PDFs and made a flashcard binder. I technetted a little, and played with the servers at my work (I work for an MSP and on the 3rd shift) -- I probably put in 30 hours total on this.

3 weeks is more than doable if you can commit to it.

-scott
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□

This thread was extremely useful to me:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/98533-74-409-helpful-info.html
  • Options
    Is there a waiting period to retake the exam in case someone failed?
  • Options
    This is a great overview!

I would completely disagree that it would be 'extremely difficult" to pass this with 3 weeks and no knowledge. I have minimal server knowledge and I crammed and knocked this out (although not very impressively might I add) in 2 weeks. I just did essentially what you mention above. I did the MVAs and videos once. I printed out the PDFs and made a flashcard binder. I technetted a little, and played with the servers at my work (I work for an MSP and on the 3rd shift) -- I probably put in 30 hours total on this.

3 weeks is more than doable if you can commit to it.

-scott

Total of 30 hours from start to end? Cool.

Question: The exam is only written or written+lab?
  • Options
    dannyhinhkdannyhinhk Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed today.
    I studied "Digital Microsoft Official Curriculum - 20409A Server Virtualization with Windows Server Hyper-V and System Center".
  • Options
    tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

How close were the 'ready for assesment ' questions to the exam questions? as they dont fit the normal MS format.
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I passed this on 5/3, should it show up under my MCP login? I haven't received any word that I passed except for the printout.

Thanks
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    IS3IS3 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey i just checked the link and it says 50% off so im assuming it is not free anymore?
    :study:
  • Options
    BosskBossk Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    matai wrote: »
    I passed this on 5/3, should it show up under my MCP login? I haven't received any word that I passed except for the printout.

Thanks

Passed on 4/25 and I haven't seen anything from Microsoft yet either. I check my transcript every couple days, and I hate waiting. Did get a congratulatory email from Prometric at about the 10 day point. Had a 20% off coupon for another server exam if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It took about 4 weeks for it to show up on mine
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    matai wrote: »

Thanks

Woah, I posted this at 3:20PM and received an email from Prometric at 5:05PM saying I passed. Big Brother really is watching...
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...