Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    RappellerRappeller Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Rappeller! Sorry for this but here come the questions..

So, WGU has a pretty different payment standard then other colleges right? Where you pay per semester and not class. Do they lower that for the military or how does your TA cover it? There were recently (couple months ago) changes to TA where you could only get X amount per semester and it was on a first come first serve basis.. I mean if you're using it then I'm assuming there's no problem.

Oh also, thanks for getting back to me.

What they do is take how many CU's you are taking divided into the term rate. For example I have 16 CU's scheduled for TA purposes, 289.92/16 comes out to be 180.62 per unit if i had only scheduled 13 it would have been 222.30 per unit. WGU has worked with the military lots of times and they will give you a sheet and tell you exactly what you need to put on the TA form.
    WGU B.S.IT - Software - Completion Date January, 2015 (Sooner Hopefully)
    Courses Completed - EWB2 CLC1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 WSV1
    Courses Needed - INT1 BOV1 TPV1 QLT1 LAT1 GAC1 HHT1 LET1 ORC1 KET1 IWT1 MGC1 WDV1 KFT1 TWA1 ABV1 ANV1 WPV1 CPW5
    Transferred- BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, IWC1 SSC1, SST1, TSV1
  • Options
    JoelbJoelb Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey whats up guys...I've spent the last couple of days reading this entire thread and I learned a lot. I decided I want to enroll in WGU around February/March of next year, but because Im on a tight budget I think I will take a few classes over at straighterline and transfer them over.

Since I have several months left should I go ahead and apply to WGU to get everything out the way now or should I wait until I have all my certs/classes. I ask because I read that you cant transfer in anything after you enroll and dont want to shoot myself in the foot.

Thanks again
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    Yeah, don't enroll until you have everything done that you want to transfer. You can only do the transfer process once.
  • Options
    SilverGeniusSilverGenius Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sheckler wrote: »
    Yeah, don't enroll until you have everything done that you want to transfer. You can only do the transfer process once.

I looked on WGU's site but did not see exactly where you can tell what is going to transfer over. Is there a way to tell what you can transfer or do you have to call them up and talk to an advisor?
  • Options
    You won't know for sure until you apply and send in your transcripts. The enrollment people can give you an idea, but they won't do a transcript evaluation until you actually apply. After you send everything in they evaluate it all and email you a PDF that shows what is going to transfer in.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    You won't know for sure until you apply and send in your transcripts. The enrollment people can give you an idea, but they won't do a transcript evaluation until you actually apply. After you send everything in they evaluate it all and email you a PDF that shows what is going to transfer in.

Exactly. I'd suggest applying now with a late start date, then planning how to use the time between now and start date to catch up on certs.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Thanks for the answer guys. So I can get my transcript evaluated but that does not mean I am necessarily enrolled? I will be finishing my A.A.S with certs spring 2012 so hopefully some stuff will transfer over.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the answer guys. So I can get my transcript evaluated but that does not mean I am necessarily enrolled? I will be finishing my A.A.S with certs spring 2012 so hopefully some stuff will transfer over.

If your AAS is in IT, WGU will be treating it as an AA/AS. MOST if not all of your GE requirements will count toward the WGU BS-IT program.

(Note: While I may point this fact out to you, that does not mean that I agree with this personally...I flat out don't.)
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    I start on October 1st. When do you first hear from your advisor?
  • Options
    echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    I start on October 1st. When do you first hear from your advisor?
    I got my first email from mine on July 30th.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    If your AAS is in IT, WGU will be treating it as an AA/AS. MOST if not all of your GE requirements will count toward the WGU BS-IT program.

(Note: While I may point this fact out to you, that does not mean that I agree with this personally...I flat out don't.)

Why don't you agree with that? Is it because there is less work done or its not at a higher level?
  • Options
    Why don't you agree with that? Is it because there is less work done or its not at a higher level?

An AAS is a professional degree. Your courses are mostly in whatever your intended profession is (whether it's IT, Business or what-not.) The degree will have very little liberal arts courses.

There is nothing wrong with an AAS. I feel that AAS graduates that started WGU after that policy change that are going into the IT program are taking a dangerous shortcut to a BSc. Especially if you're going to perhaps go into a Masters program one day (you or anyone else.)
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had about 7 classes left for my Network Security A.A.S. when I transferred to WGU. I believe almost every course had transferred in without issue. I felt that WGU was very generous with their evaluation. The only gen ed course I did not already have completed for my AAS was Math.

These are the main gen ed courses I still had to complete at WGU:

LAT1: Research paper (English Comp covered the material but the credit was applied somewhere else).
    IWT1: Humanities paper (Intro to Theater class covered objective half, still had performance part to do).
    BAC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1: Math courses
    INC1/INT1: Science (natural science wasn't required for my degree plan).
    CLC1: Critical thinking (can be knocked out in a day)
    ORC1/MGC1: Management courses

I also transferred in 2 certs (Security+ and 70-620) along with a leadership course from the Air Force which I think replaced a performance exam for management/leadership courses.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Why doesn't WGU accept tranfers at the masters level? This is very disdappointing. I'm currently halfway through a masters of engineering program in networking but it's not really flexible since I have to physically attend classess. I'm getting job offers which require evening and rotating shifts. Since I have already invested in this degree, it doesn't make sense for me to start from scratch. I was thinking of doing the M.S. Info. Security and Assurance since my BA was in InfoSec. Any suggestions?

They need to change this policy. Seriously.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    WiseWun wrote: »
    Why doesn't WGU accept tranfers at the masters level? This is very disappointing. I'm currently halfway through a masters of engineering program in networking but it's not really flexible since I have to physically attend classes. I'm getting job offers which require evening and rotating shifts. Since I have already invested in this degree, it doesn't make sense for me to start from scratch. I was thinking of doing the M.S. Info. Security and Assurance since my BA was in InfoSec. Any suggestions?

They need to change this policy. Seriously.

Why not just finish it? An MS in Engineering is impressive no matter what its focus is in.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    I'm just curious.
  • Options
  • Options
    lilmissitmelilmissitme Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can someone give me a referral code so that I do not have to pay the application fee.
  • Options
    j_griffithj_griffith Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can someone give me a referral code so that I do not have to pay the application fee.
    There is a WGU referal thread here on TE forums. Email or PM me your first & last name and the email you wish to hear from WGU at.
    WGU PROGRESS
    M.S Information Assurance and Security______ Completed: 0 CU's
    Start Date: October 2011 _ ______________________ _Remaining: 32 CU's

Goal for term ending 3/30/12 - EWOB1
    Courses Remaining / Term 2 Goal -
    Completed this term -
  • Options
    ssgmun5000ssgmun5000 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I have been looking into getting my online degree and seems like WGU is very popular. I have a question about the coursework. I was intially looking into Colorado Tech and they have a class structure with a syllabus and each week you read/write, post on various assignments. They have a website you login to that provides all this information. Now from skimming the posts on here I am picking up that WGU has a different structure. Can anyone provide me more detail on this?
  • Options
    echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    It depends on the class. The two A+ classes and Security+ used Labsim for video training. BOV1 - the Javascript certification - uses written course material and practice tests at certification-partners.com. Everything I've done so far has been very self-paced, no weekly turn-ins or anything, but you do speak with your mentor at least once a week.
    ssgmun5000 wrote: »
    So I have been looking into getting my online degree and seems like WGU is very popular. I have a question about the coursework. I was intially looking into Colorado Tech and they have a class structure with a syllabus and each week you read/write, post on various assignments. They have a website you login to that provides all this information. Now from skimming the posts on here I am picking up that WGU has a different structure. Can anyone provide me more detail on this?
  • Options
    ssgmun5000 wrote: »

I answered your post over in the "student experiences" thread.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I just started October 1st, and I've finished EWB2 and am waiting on my mentor to do the AAV. Looking at the courses I need to complete, very little of it will present new material to me - I'd like to ask you guys about KFT1 Object Oriented Design and Development. Is it super hard? I've never touched Java and it looks intimidating.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could share their experiences with KFT1.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    ehnde wrote: »
    I just started October 1st, and I've finished EWB2 and am waiting on my mentor to do the AAV. Looking at the courses I need to complete, very little of it will present new material to me - I'd like to ask you guys about KFT1 Object Oriented Design and Development. Is it super hard? I've never touched Java and it looks intimidating.

EWB2, TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, KFT1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4

you can kill ORC1 and MGC1 in about 2 weeks if youve worked in any kinda job that requires thinking

TSV1 and TPV1 can most likely be done in 3 weeks each (maybe 4 on project because its not used all that often)

id take let1, tech, cap all at once at the end in that order if i could do it again
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options

I thought KFT1 was pretty hard, but I don't like programming. The first 3 tasks are easy, there's no actual code you have to turn in. But in task 4 you have to make a student records program that can add/update/delete data in a SQL database. If you use the search you can find other people talking about it. There was one guy talking about how he had 3000+ lines of code, but mine was only about 650. Took a few weeks I think.
  • Options
    I thought KFT1 was pretty hard, but I don't like programming. The first 3 tasks are easy, there's no actual code you have to turn in. But in task 4 you have to make a student records program that can add/update/delete data in a SQL database. If you use the search you can find other people talking about it. There was one guy talking about how he had 3000+ lines of code, but mine was only about 650. Took a few weeks I think.

Wow....that is a very useful task if you ever want to get into ERP programming for SISes (Student Information Systems). I can't speak for Sungard's Banner (one of the leading ERP suites for colleges) but PeopleSoft's PeopleCode pretty much is very similar to Java and you end up doing the same type of thing in that tasks....but much more involved (especially when you start geting into SQL Joins and all of that.)

Even if SISes aren't your thing, even in the corporate world that kind of skill is useful. Hopefully you learned good code-writing habits... ;)

Java is not a course that can be breezed through though like the other courses though if you don't have a programming background....that one will take a good month, at least, of dedicated study to pass.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Thanks for the information guys, I'll be properly "braced" (mentally speaking) when it's time to take that course. Also I think I'll put that course off towards the end so that my motivation level is higher....KFT1 sounds like a SERIOUS challenge.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information guys, I'll be properly "braced" (mentally speaking) when it's time to take that course. Also I think I'll put that course off towards the end so that my motivation level is higher....KFT1 sounds like a SERIOUS challenge.

I do like d-furb's suggestion for how you want to take on your classes...except that I would start with (not end) with LET1. LET1 is really easy as all you are doing is answering questions from the textbook (which I believe is an e-book now, but you can find someone who has it....get the edition that's in your COS...not the newer one.) Project+ can be done before LET1/ORC1/MGC1 or after...Security+ will be your easiest cert with the Darril Gibson Get Certified Get Ahead book. I'm curious though if you can still take the 201 or will they make you take the 301? You should have no problems with it though...I thought it was going to be a lot harder than it was.

I understand why you'd be advise to take LET1, TWA and CPW toward the end, but that's too much writing, even for me. I would make KFT1 your last class before you undergo tech writing/capstone.
  • Options
    XeeNXeeN Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What do you guys think about using straighterline courses to eliminate GE courses from WGU, then enrolling in WGU?

College Courses Online For $99 A Month and Earn College Credit - StraighterLine
  • Options
    XeeN wrote: »
    What do you guys think about using straighterline courses to eliminate GE courses from WGU, then enrolling in WGU?

College Courses Online For $99 A Month and Earn College Credit - StraighterLine

It's a darn good idea. Some folks have trouble adapting to the WGU format for general ed courses, so it's best to get those out of the way before applying to WGU.

I don't know what the WGU policy is regarding CLEP/DANTES exams, but some of those may help if WGU will transfer them in.
    --Will Rogers