70-480 - Programming in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
I took the beta exam for the 7-480 (Programming in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3) last week and wanted to give my thoughts on it. I won't go into any details due to the NDA but I will say it was smaller than other betas I have taken part in. I don't think I passed. But that was not due to any difficulty of the exam itself. It was more due to lack of time for me to prepare. Although web development is a component of my job duties my company does not have any intentions of even considering moving into HTML5 until the middle of next year. For this reason I had not given it much attention until I received the beta exam announcement - and with just 3 days to prepare for the end of the exam period.

I crammed the best I could during those 3 days. but it just wasn't enough time to cover all the topic. IMO, if you already know HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (including some jQuery) and you have two weeks to prep for the exam, you will find the test easy. The questions were not "tricky" and were very representatuve of the objectives.

Here is a collection of tutorials and other information arranged by the published exam objectives. In compiling this if I placed more than one link for a resource there was usually a motive. Either I thought the concept was difficult or important on the exam or I thought it was very practical and therefore needed to be mastered.

General Reference

icon_arrow.gif MSDN HTML5 Reference

icon_arrow.gif Pluralsight (paid developer training - excellent resourcce)

Implement and Manipulate Document Structures and Objects (24%)

icon_arrow.gif HTML5 Semantic Tag Reference (w3 Schools)

icon_arrow.gif Using HTML5's New Semantic Tags Today

icon_arrow.gif Better Web Forms with HTML5 Forms

icon_arrow.gif Introducing the HTML5 storage APIs

icon_arrow.gif How to Use HTML5's Local Storage Tools Today

AppCache API

icon_arrow.gif A BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO USING THE APPLICATION CACHE

icon_arrow.gif Offline Web Applications

icon_arrow.gif Go offline with application cache

icon_arrow.gif Running your web applications offline with HTML5 AppCache

Geolocation

icon_arrow.gif Geolocation API Specification

icon_arrow.gif 12 Cool HTML5 Geolocation Ideas

icon_arrow.gif Finding your position with Geolocation

"this" in JavaScript
Javascript - The this keyword
Understanding the "this" keyword in JavaScript

icon_arrow.gif Get a serious book on JavaScript like JavaScript: The Good Parts

icon_arrow.gif Creating custom objects in JavaScript

icon_arrow.gif JavaScript Create Your Own Objects

Implement Program Flow (25%)

icon_arrow.gif JavaScript Switch Statement

icon_arrow.gif JavaScript If...Else Statements

icon_arrow.gif JavaScript For Loop

icon_arrow.gif JavaScript Try...Catch Statement

icon_arrow.gif JavaScript Throw Statement

icon_arrow.gif Scope in JavaScript

icon_arrow.gif Understanding callback functions in Javascript

icon_arrow.gif Getting comfortable with Javascript callbacks

icon_arrow.gif THE BASICS OF WEB WORKERS

icon_arrow.gif Introducing HTML5 Web Workers

icon_arrow.gif HTML5 Web Workers

icon_arrow.gif WebSockets - Just plow through this site and learn as much as possible.
WebSocket.org -- A WebSocket Community

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Excellent reference! I'm sure people will find this very helpful when the exam is released. :D
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    This is a fantastic thread, thank you very much for taking the time to put this together. I'll dropping this in my bookmarks to look back to when I start tinkering with HTML5 and CSS3. icon_thumright.gif

I got a link to this today, in one of the many (MANY) Microsoft emails I get on a weekly basis: Free ebook: Programming Windows 8 Apps with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (First Preview) - Microsoft Press - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Hopefully, it'll be a bit of help to add to the impressive arsenal of knowledge and tutorials you've already shared.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • crashdumpcrashdump Banned Posts: 134
    Is this exam vendor neutral HTML5, CSS and JavaScript? Are there questions about Microsoft tools? Can also *NIX dev take this exam?
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CrashDump, there were no questions on this exam regarding MS tools. It was strictly HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript with a taste of jQuery thrown in. There were some questions that showed a specific tool, but the questions were answerable if you knew about HTML5 or CSS3 it didn't relate to the tool itself. If you look at the objectives you will notice nothing is mentioned about VisualStudio or Expression Web or any MS proprietary technology.

As far as I could tell, it was spec HTML5 and MS has committed to IE10 working to the spec and not to an IE specific version of the spec. But you should keep in mind this exam is for people developing Windows Metro apps. So other than this MCTS level cert, I'm not sure where you might go after...
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I got a link to this today, in one of the many (MANY) Microsoft emails I get on a weekly basis: Free ebook: Programming Windows 8 Apps with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (First Preview) - Microsoft Press - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
    Thanks for that! I'm not allowed to give you more rep right now, though...
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome reference Rob!!!! I may have to look into this later on
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

Hey Robert, will this test be an MCTS or MCITP cert....or is it G14 classified icon_lol.gif. I don't see it stated on the msdn website

As far as I know this certification is MCTS and counts toward 2 MCSDs. Even though the MS Learning site does not call it an MCTS there is no other designation that it could be as a 70-XXX exam.

MCSD: Web Applications
    MCSD: Windows Metro style Apps using HTML5
    Gotcha...I was just wondering

• chstoutchstout Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Rob, really appricate the outline of resources you provided. It looks like it was back in June you took the exam. Do you know if they are up to date with the latest version of the Fexible Box Layout spec, or was the test on the 2009 or 2011 version?

Thanks,
    Chris
    I'll be honest: I am not sure but imagine 2011. I still have not gotten my results back but I am involved in a huge HTML5/SharePoint project right now so I am taking this exam again if I failed...
    It's official... I failed. So I am starting serious study for this one and expect to take it again in 4 weeks. I'll let you all know and add additional resources if I need to.
    Ouch, sorry to hear that. Here's to hoping you knock it down the next time around.

I only had 3 days to prep, so I'm not too worried. I consider it a free practice test. I'll crush it this time.
  • gatorfangatorfan Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello, hopefully I'm not digging up too old of a thread here but I would like to say first of all, thanks to the OP this will help me with the exam.

Also, I found Pluralsight thanks to you and thought I'd share some info with some people. I found out that Dreamspark has a partnership with Pluralsight and if you have a Dreamspark account, you can get a 90 day subscription to Pluralsight for free.

I would also like to add that one of my professors gave me a link to a free voucher (promo code) for the 70-480 test for anyone thats interested I will post the links below:

(Free Microsoft Virtual Academy Course)
    https://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/tracks/developing-html5-apps-jump-start

(Microsoft Exam Webpage)
    Programming in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3

Click Schedule, find a test center, pick an appointment, then when you go to pay, click the Voucher/Promo Code button and then use promo code = HTMLJMP

Remember that its a promo code and not voucher (the Microsoft Vitrual Academy incorrectly says its a voucher code).

Hope this helps, good luck everyone!

• mrploddymrploddy Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took 70-480 today and passed with a 700. (My first MS exam)

Microsoft exams are definitely a step up from the multiple choice exams in challenge that I've taken from other providers.

The exam is definitely very straightforward if you're a seasoned web developer and you know HTML/CSS3/javascript but beware you definitely do need to know jQuery as jQuery syntax does pop up in the questions.

The other thing is don't rely soley on what's in the video course as there were some nuggets of content not specifically covered in the video course that Microsoft provide that came up like the HTML5 API's section.

Long and short
    - If you're a beginning web dev (eg this is the first time you've seen javascript etc) you'll struggle to pass without first hand experience on projects unless you're good at studying
    - If you're a seasoned web dev who does it for a job and includes jQuery a few hours reading and you should pass it with ease

-mrploddy
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□

Congrats! Funny that you brought this thread back up because I just last night I started into research of this material so I can make a web site.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Mcp@rolfdevries.nlMcp@rolfdevries.nl Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Are there questions on the exam about the html/js/css specs that are not supported by microsoft?
    for example w3schools teach about border image, which is supported by al the big browsers except microsoft...

so what i'm basicly asking is, is al the needed information found on the msdn link as you provided?

Greatings,
    Rolf de Vries
    You can expect that this will be a very MS centric exam focused on what is supported by IE10. I cannot go into any details due to the NDA but as soon as I got back to my car I wrote down details of the exam knowing I would take it again. Once I got some more experience in HTML5 I realized how IE centric it was. I sit the retake in two days. Wish me luck!
    Good Luck Rob!!!!

Thanks, guys. I passed with 880. My largest difficulty was CSS3. I'll be updating my study guide this weekend.
    Awesome, congrats on the pass! icon_thumright.gif

Congrats my man!

Thanks, guys. Now I don't know if I should move on to MCSD: Web Apps or MCSD: Windows Store Apps. I suppose web apps would go better with my experience in SharePoint development. Maybe I'll do both just for fun!
  • mrploddymrploddy Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm developing an app as initial prep for 481.

Already watched the 481 jumpstart content so need a bit of practical application for it to stick in my head.
  • amala9amala9 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey everyone,

I am a fresher in the software field and know basics of HTML, CSS. I am learning basics of javascript and jquery in order to crack this exam on dec 5th.. any more concepts which I need to learn? Also, is there any specific exam syllabus listed on their official website? (As I could not find it there..) Thanks a ton! :)
    Amala9,
    Take a look at the "skills measured" tab of this web page:
    Programming in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3

I'm in the process of re-writing my study guide after having taken the exam a second time. It can be found here:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/microsoft-developers-certifications/79076-70-480-programming-html5-javascript-css3.html

I am not certain that I will get that completed before you sit the exam, though. My major suggestion is that you use JSFiddle.net while you are going through the videos on the Channel9 site as well as any of the links in my guide to make sure you understand the concepts completely. You should really know the prototype pattern in JavaScript as well as how to do common things in both jQuery and in pure JavaScript. Since this exam is focused on both the web platform AND on Windows Store apps it does have questions on both sides.

Most of the questions were exceptionally easy. But some of them were genuinely difficult. Not "tricky" but I sometimes thought "And this is why I go to the API reference site. Who knows every option of [insert jQuery method here]?" But I guess that's why I didn't pass with a perfect score.
    With the amount of effort Rob put into this thread and considering how useful it's going to be for others studying for this exam, I decided it was sticky-time.