Options

Anyone ever deal with overseas jobs with the company Vectrus?

Comments

• Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Kuwait is not a bad place to live/work. A s mentioned, just avoid the crazy drivers. Your apartment is more than passable, food on base is fine, food off base is great if you are adventurous, or is plain old American chain food if you're not. You can get good coffee, passable internet, and most of that 110k will be tax free.
  • Options
    The CountThe Count Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have read most if not all of this thread and I must say great info and consistent with the knowledge I have of IT contractors working in theater. I used to be stationed in Qatar and although I didn't work in IT I took an additional duty of IMO which surely some of you know what that is if they still have them. Basically a soldier from the unit would re-image machines and submit tickets, etc. I am out of the service now, and I too am considering one of these positions upon graduation. Thanks for all the helpful info everyone!😃
  • Options
    BobFrmAccountingBobFrmAccounting Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has any been given the run around regarding the security clearance, by Vectrus? Not getting warm fuzzies that things are on the up an up.... I have held a higher clearance level for over 20 yrs than what Vectrus has requested that I have for this job, but here I sit 2 months since paperwork was completed and sent...
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Has any been given the run around regarding the security clearance, by Vectrus? Not getting warm fuzzies that things are on the up an up.... I have held a higher clearance level for over 20 yrs than what Vectrus has requested that I have for this job, but here I sit 2 months since paperwork was completed and sent...
    I think OPM is back logged. I've been waiting for exactly 2 months as well for an interim Secret from another company. We just gotta sit tight I guess!

Edit: Scroll to the bottom of this post. A bunch of people experiencing similar delays http://clearancejobsblog.com/are-you-experiencing-security-clearance-processing-delays/
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    BobFrmAccountingBobFrmAccounting Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wish they had a system to where people could follow how thier clearance is going.
  • Options
    festgivenfestgiven Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys,

I got my offer acknowledgement letter 5/24/06 and did my med-exam just started my security stuff(took forever for them to even direct me on how to start the process). The position is Net Admin 1 in Afghanistan and my pay rate is way lower than I thought it would be. It also comes with 25% for hardship and danger (each), $3,000 for vacation and the completion bonus. I have questions.

I just got another offer making more $$ working in NY a 2hr commute going and coming (4hrs total), with good benefits. Should I tell Vectrus and see if the would match it, or should I just take the job with Vectrus? I know once I come back from Vectrus after the year the experience will look great on m resume and I can get my other certs (CCNP, CISSP, finish my Bachelor's and be half way through my Masters Degree) with all the free time I will have when not working.

Question for those there already. How is the living arrangements, what would you do differently since you are there now? What questions should I ask my recruiter, how should I prepare myself? What should I do in the states to help myself while I'm away? My kids are grown and I am single so No one in the states is going to miss me for a year.
  • Options
    New York NickNew York Nick Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @festgiven. 4 hour commute everyday or working overseas? If you don't already have a security clearance, I would take the Vectrus job. You would make more money in Iraq though. Most of your income will be exempt from federal taxes.
  • Options
    Texan-SpursTexan-Spurs Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I assigned Form SF312 - as part of Security Clearance , did someone done this ? what this Form means in the process
  • Options
    zeeshannetworkzeeshannetwork Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi there,

Does anyone of you ever work as WAN engineer for Vectrus at Kuwait? I just need to know if we do get any downtime to study for certs or is it crazy busy there?

Much appreciated!!
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    My brother started working in DC for a DOD contractor in March 2016. He received his DOD Secret Clearance last week. 5 months seems to be the time frame. Interim took about a month for him.
  • Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey All,

Like everyone else, I just applied for DynCorp, Vectrus, and 5 Rivers. Keeping my fingers crossed. I wouldn't mind going oversea's, did a tour in Afghanistan at Leatherneck and Kuwait as well when I was active, not a bad gig at all!

How long are the wait times until they reply?

Salaries look impressive for the year with bonuses, which is very attractive for me. I had a TS clearance at one point, not sure if it'll give me brownie points.

Appreciate everyones input so far, it was the push I needed to convince me to actually move forward with this. I have no wife, no kids, sick of my current environment (Boston, and I work at a MSP) and just want a fresh start.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have to have a clearance to work overseas?
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    Do you have to have a clearance to work overseas?

Yes. Most everything is done on the classified network
  • Options
    Bryant2Bryant2 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello anyone who has been overseas far as system admin I role .. I can get through the technical interview I have all the certs but I have no experience I just need to get my foot in the door and I thought this would be the best opportunity . Is it possible?
  • Options
    Bryant2Bryant2 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Robe did they interview you for this position if so what rate the offer and the questions they ask i heard it was basic questions?
  • Options
    Ghost8890Ghost8890 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been offered a position in both Kuwait and Afghanistan but never been in the military. Can anyone tell me how frequent the military base is attacked and are there any casualties? I need the honest truth.
  • Options
    Hi Ghost, Kuwait is like living in a small scale NYC. It's pretty safe out there, but everyone is a race car driver.

Afghanistan can be dangerous, because of indirect fire, though their aim is bad, there is always a chance it'll hit. However, most major bases are huge, like Bagram, KAF, they are so large that there is a small percentage you'll even hear it hit.

I am prior service, and honestly, it's safe out there. You're with the military and not in the bushes, mostly at large installations. Bagram is like a small city, KaF used to be a city until they ripped the boardwalk down (used to be an applebee's there).

Where did you apply? How long until they got back to you?
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    Kuwait is alright. Most contractors live off base and you commute from what I'm told. Country is nice if a bit dirty. Driving can be a hassle but if you keep your head on a swivel, you should be alright.
    Afghanistan is on-base living along with all the soldiers. You don't go out almost for any reason. I haven't been to BAF (Bagram Air Field) but spent a year on KAF (Kandahar Air Field). The bases are huge and if there's ever any indirect fire, it doesn't come close to where you would be. As IT guy, you would work in your little help desk or wherever they would have your offices.
    You would make more money in AFG, but honestly, you shouldn't worry too much about personal safety from that regard. Google the casualty rate and it's dropped out a lot. Of course you run other dangers from eating at the DFAC and daily stress of cabin fever than IDF (indirect fire)
  • Options
    LittleBIT
    I applied to Vectrus for network admin. I had a phone interview a week after I applied and the job offer came 2 days after that.

TranceSoulBrother I think I'll go to AFG. Thanks for the clarity!

How's the living situation? Would I have my own room or would I have roommates? Wifi?
  • Options
    Thanks you've helped a lot!
  • Options
    Ghost8890 wrote: »
    LittleBIT
    I applied to Vectrus for network admin. I had a phone interview a week after I applied and the job offer came 2 days after that.

TranceSoulBrother I think I'll go to AFG. Thanks for the clarity!

How's the living situation? Would I have my own room or would I have roommates? Wifi?

You live in connex box's converted into living quarters, decent space though, but yea, expect to share a room with others. Wifi is good, but you have to pay, its base wide through a company. you log into a radius page. That's at BAF, at KAF, they have structures, so you get a nice room with others. It can be a serious man cave sometimes. :P

AC/Heat, and bathrooms are dorm styled, shared, located usually down the way. Make sure you have flip flops, or dare I say... crocks! I had crocks, don't judge me. ;)

How good was the pay if you don't mind me asking?
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    wtrwlkr wrote: »
    I'm currently working with Vectrus at Bagram Air Base, though not as a netadmin. Hopefully you'll find some of this information useful:

We live in what is basically a collection of standard size shipping containers welded together to form an apartment block. The norm is to have one roommate. The ideal situation is for your roommate to work the opposite shift as yourself so you basically have the room to yourself while you're there. The housing is in a fantastic location. You're a 5 minute walk or less from the gym, dining facility, recreation center, and exchange (basically a small store that sells the essentials). There is also a free laundry service that has a 2-3 day turnaround. The food is just okay, though they don't have much variation in the menu and it can get repetitive. There's a pizza hut and subway within walking distance when you don't feel like eating at the dining facility.

The private internet is okay for afghanistan, but that isn't saying alot. The service is through a company called DHI, formerly SniperHill (you can google them to read reviews).Their plans range from a 256k link to a 2Mb link. The LOVE to price-gouge everyone out here, as they're the only game in town. The 2Mb plan is around $160/month. They use an authentication server that only allows one device to be connected through your account at a time. You can connect through a wired or wi-fi connection, though the wi-fi can be flaky. I suggest you bring a 10-12 ft LAN cable with you. VPNs are technically against the rules here, but the ISP does nothing to block them.

As far as what to pack, here's what to keep in mind:
    1. You're limited in space. The rooms come with one floor to ceiling locker. You can also store some stuff on the top bunk of your bed if you get a bunkbed.
    2. The company will only reimburse you for one standard size checked bag. They won't reimburse you for an additional bag or overweight baggage.
    3. You'll spend a week at Ft. Bliss, Texas. There you'll be issued a standard military duffel bag with around 60-70lbs of gear, which you'll have to carry around with you while you're transiting.

If I had to do it over again, I'd get a large backpack and pack it with 4-5 days of clothing, a towel, a pair of flip-flops for the shower (this item is a must - trust me) plus electronics, small amounts of toiletries, etc. And just bring that with me. The exchange here carries just about everything you'll need, and Amazon ships here in 1-1.5 weeks. If you can, get a large tuffbox and fill that with anything else you think you'll need and ship it ahead of time if you can get the address. If you know you'll be going to Bagram, I can give you the address here and hold on to the stuff for you if you want.

One last thing: if you have an unlocked smart phone with a removable SIM, a local phone company offers pay as you go plans at a decent rate. You'll need a local mobile number regardless as you have to call in to your workcenter for accountability if there's an attack on base. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

@Ghost, here is a good post from someone who was there as well.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    curtisc83curtisc83 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks like I'm leaving my federal position and going contractor again. Hard to do but money talks. IAP contacted me about a JSOC position in the Middle East. I did the interview and got an offer about an hour later for 188k. Now I can get that gold encrusted toilet I've always wanted.
    Liberty University - Overton Graduate School of Business -Class of 2013-
    U.S. Army Paratrooper & OIF Veteran

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/curtisc83
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    curtisc83 wrote: »
    Looks like I'm leaving my federal position and going contractor again. Hard to do but money talks. IAP contacted me about a JSOC position in the Middle East. I did the interview and got an offer about an hour later for 188k. Now I can get that gold encrusted toilet I've always wanted.
    Congrats! What kind of work will you be doing? (Systems, Network, Security, etc.?)
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    congrats! What kind of work will you be doing? (systems, network, security, etc.?)

na + vsat

• Options
    Bleh, still waiting to hear back from 6 companies...
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    LittleBIT wrote: »
    Bleh, still waiting to hear back from 6 companies...

Depends on your background, clearance level and some luck. I started applying a few weeks ago to companies and it just all worked out.

• Options
    Sys Admin for a local MSP.

Let me know if your people need a good tech with 5+ years experience ;)

... I'll even deliver coffee every morning.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    w1retapw1retap Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    curtisc83 wrote: »

Where had you contracted before? I suppose you were already cleared as well. I've been looking and applying to companies but I hadn't ran across IAP before.

Is Vectrus the only one that will really sponsor a clearance for more entry-level type jobs?
  • Options
    w1retap wrote: »
    Where had you contracted before? I suppose you were already cleared as well. I've been looking and applying to companies but I hadn't ran across IAP before.

Is Vectrus the only one that will really sponsor a clearance for more entry-level type jobs?

I contracted in Iraq and the Stan before but only had a secret so upward mobility was limited. I actually took my federal position to get a TS/SCI, this was so I could gun for the good positions overseas. I've never had to get my secret sponsored by a company since I had one coming out of the army but I've always thought any company would sponsor a secret for someone that didn't have one. Does that not happen nowadays?