Options

Anyone ever deal with overseas jobs with the company Vectrus?

Comments

• Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Don't give up your DAY JOB. Keep looking for other opportunities overseas too. Contracting companies are CUT THROAT.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    z0ne3 wrote: »
    What is the typical day at CRC? I got accepted to go to Afghanistan for Network Administrator and wanting to know what to expect at CRC and to be somewhat prepared.

CRC is boring. You get from the airport to a bus. Bus takes you to military bunk bed housing. You then go to these classes and will take these ONLINE assignments( get this out of the way ASAP ). You do this for 3 to 5 days. Additionally, you'll go through some medical checkups like blood pressure etc...u will eat on base...I actually help out a brother who was financially poor getting him some bath shoes/towels/soap/toothbrush etc...eventually u wait around and then get bus to the airport to fly out to Germany and hit Kuwait. From there you guys split up to your assigned location. My CRC was in Indiana.
  • Options
    asher82asher82 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was contacted by vectrus about a position in Afghan and went through the application process and technical interview, I was just trying to get an idea of time frame for offer letter? they said "by next week" but what I am getting from this thread is they recruit many more than is needed so they have replacements for the high turn over rate,

also does anyone know when at what point you find out what FOB you will be going to?
  • Options
    thewiz8807thewiz8807 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    GirlyGirl wrote: »
    The Wiz,

I thought since I noticed your concern a few times and never answered I wasn't doing you any justice. So, here I am and I apologize.
    Here is the short/long answer:

Vectrus is not the only company that has deployers going through CRC. It's actually several companies that have CRC as a requirement prior to deployment. But, not every company has CRC as a requirement prior to deploying. I said that to say this I've been through CRC and it was training every week. When my class was over it was another class afterwards. All that was basically to say, a CRC class date isn't the root cause, it's more than likely you not being selected or a slot not being open. Since you've competed everything, the next person to quit or reach End of Contract (EOC) would lead to you taking that individuals place.

Like was mentioned in the papers you received, don't quit your job. So, I assume you're still working and have a roof over your head. I will give you two options. Option one take a open immediate need job in Kuwait, Iraq, Jordan, or one of the other countries Vectrus has openings for 4 months then try to get the location you want. Since after 4 months you can request to move or slide in another position. Option two wait for who knows how long until a position opens up. What is the first initial of your recruiters last name? I know a Vectrus recruiter who moved positions, she was a female and doesn't respond to emails anymore.

* Tell them you want to go to Iraq, you'll probably have an Offer Letter by the end of next week*.. Most people that apply want Kuwait and Afghanistan. I will also assume the CASP that you have in progress wasn't a requirement for the position you are requesting. I am not going back through 16 pages of Vectrus, so what's the job title and the location you wanted?

Check your Inbox please.
    Goals: Network+ (Done) -> CCNA: R&S (Done) -> CCNA: Security (Done) -> Security+ (Done) -> ITIL v3 Foundation (Done) -> CASP (Done) -> CCNP: R/S (In Progress) -> CCNP: Collaboration -> CCSK -> CCSP -> CISSP
  • Options
    JitaroJitaro Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I received an offer letter from Vectrus for a System Admin I spot in Afghanistan for a whole lot less than what I expected. I had applied for Iraq but got an offer letter for Afghanistan. Ive know several guys that have gone over to Iraq and Afghanistan and made $150K, but that was several years back. I was offered a 25% and 25% uplift for danger and hardship pay which confused me since the Department of state website says it should be 35% and 35%. Do contractors not get the full amount? My pay will be $25hr, 56hrs a week, $9500 completion bonus. No sign on bonus. What really really bothers me is I tried to negotiate the salary and the recruiter wouldnt budge. two weeks prior a coworker of mine applied and was offered a help desk spot in Afghanistan for $18hr, he talked them up an extra $5hr plus he was going to get a sign on bonus. So his salary would be close to mine for a help desk spot. Doesnt sound right at all. Anyone have any similar experiences with shady practices from this company. Im still moving forward with the position for now but I really dont trust them right now. Does anyone know of any other companies out there I can look into?
  • Options
    GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    Everything that you talked about in that paragraph has been talked about on this Vectrus discussion board. I personally would rather you read and find the answers to all of your questions plus more. It's easier than talking about the same thing every few weeks someone comes with a Vectrus question that has already been answered.

You see that it is 16 "pages" of information concerning Vectrus, why not read some of it? Besides for the first few pages of high salaries a while back, 98% of it is still spot on information. I guarantee all of your questions will be answered. It's been people that have negotiated it's been people who have not been able to. But with your reading you'll find that out.

I'll give you some advice. Vectrus knows people back out of contract and obligations to deploy. So more than likely 3-5 people got the same Offer Letter you did. I would highly suggest finishing up everything as soon as possible. Like I mentioned to someone else, my recruiter told me the first one to finish gets the job.
  • Options
    robe4658robe4658 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just applied for an overseas System Admin I position. What kind of technical questions were you guys asked when having your interview?
  • Options
    thewiz8807thewiz8807 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They sure are hiring alot of people for Afghanistan, have they not filled those positions yet or are they hiring ahead of schedule and preparing for the current contractors to clear out?
    Goals: Network+ (Done) -> CCNA: R&S (Done) -> CCNA: Security (Done) -> Security+ (Done) -> ITIL v3 Foundation (Done) -> CASP (Done) -> CCNP: R/S (In Progress) -> CCNP: Collaboration -> CCSK -> CCSP -> CISSP
  • Options
    wtrwlkrwtrwlkr Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thewiz8807 wrote: »
    They sure are hiring alot of people for Afghanistan, have they not filled those positions yet or are they hiring ahead of schedule and preparing for the current contractors to clear out?

They're supposed to be cutting uplift (again) starting June 1st, so they're preparing for the mass exodus that's sure to follow. Strangely, alot of current employees have an issue being paid 30% less than the standard uplift for the area.
  • Options
    yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone know which area/base/dept. (aka. iraq, afghan, or).....has the strongest needs to have people there asap?
    Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does anyone have a recruiter contact for LinkedIn for Vectrus

Also, i'm wondering about CE Requirements, most of the positions seem to have IT CE requirements rather than IS. So you are going to a CND position with a MCSA or MCITP as your CE requirement. Don't know if they will try to hold me to that or if my CND certs will count.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • Options
    yellowpad wrote: »
    Anyone know which area/base/dept. (aka. iraq, afghan, or).....has the strongest needs to have people there asap?

Iraq.
    Hands down. Taking into consideration it's mainly/only Service Desk ADPE and System Admin openings.
  • Options
    SaSkiller wrote: »
    Does anyone have a recruiter contact for LinkedIn for Vectrus

Also, i'm wondering about CE Requirements, most of the positions seem to have IT CE requirements rather than IS. So you are going to a CND position with a MCSA or MCITP as your CE requirement. Don't know if they will try to hold me to that or if my CND certs will count.

I just tried this so don't take offense. I just typed in Vectrus Recuriter and I definitely can say for sure some of them are legit on LinkedIn, especially on the second page. Not saying all of them are not. I think it depends on the job. Believe me they hold you to all of the certification requirements. Most people get Server+ instead of taking two Microsoft Exams being that you're probably going to fail one of them at least.
  • Options
    robe4658robe4658 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just received my offer, lower than expected, I need to follow up with some questions. Anyone in Kuwait currently?
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How low?
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • Options
    asher82asher82 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ITGeek30329ITGeek30329 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been offered a position in Kuwait. Wanted to know the life style in Kuwait for Expat? What are some of other expenses if the housing and transportation to and from work are provided by company. I understand Food, Internet and Entertainment. What taxes would I have to still pay if I get oversee tax break?
  • Options
    dynamitexvxdynamitexvx Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Vectrus lowballed me, They offered me around 80k for Afghanistan. I went with Five Rivers Services and they offered over 90k for Kuwait so be careful
  • Options
    No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    Kuwait is great I would love to pick up work there
  • Options
    I would love to hear back from someone who is living in Kuwait and working for Vectrus?
  • Options
    Experienced_ISN'T_oldExperienced_ISN'T_old Banned Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nyblizzard wrote: »
    They've just sent me the attached job description for a "Systems Administrator 1" position in Kuwait. I'm curious as to how much a government contract with them would pay, as I've heard good things about the monetary potential of taking such jobs.

Speaking of overseas, anyone notice the large volume of guys from India working as job recruiters. It's insane. I would never work in the Middle Worst, I mean East. Far east is much more palatable.
  • Options
    No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    is that a question? ... Some of my old friends did just that with vectrus and they loved it. I would point you in their direction but we lost touch after I left active duty.... Don''t worry so much it will be fine. you might even have fun. Vectrus is a good company
  • Options
    Thank you, I have googled Vectrus as well as lifestyle in Kuwait so I am excited. Let's see how the process goes and if I actually get to go.
  • Options
    New York NickNew York Nick Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Life in Kuwait is fine. You have access to the gym on base, movie theater and pool. You only have to buy food and toiletries etc. The internet and cable TV should be paid for. Dubai is only a 90 minute flight away if you are in the mood to party.

The items taken out of your check are Social Security and Medicaid. Depending on your Home of Record, state taxes will be taken out as well.

The only real danger in Kuwait are the drivers. Some drivers have no regard for anyone on the road. There is no such thing as defensive driving. If you decide to drive, keep your eyes peeled and stay out of the fast lane.
  • Options
    New York NickNew York Nick Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Vectrus lowballed me, They offered me around 80k for Afghanistan. I went with Five Rivers Services and they offered over 90k for Kuwait so be careful

Vectrus has many openings in Kuwait and Iraq. You will make more money there.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I just accepted a WAN Engineer job with them in Kuwait. Currently in the pipeline and trying to get everything done. Any worked over there in that capacity?
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    Texan-SpursTexan-Spurs Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is there anyone waiting for CRC or Security Clearance ?
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm waiting for my interim secret clearance to work overseas, but through another company. I heard that OPM was backlogged, but I've been waiting for over 6 weeks...
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Some drivers have no regard for anyone on the road. There is no such thing as defensive driving. If you decide to drive, keep your eyes peeled and stay out of the fast lane.

Sounds like Driving in Northern VA, Maryland and DC :D
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
    Am I just being a diva or is 110k not even close to enough to go work in Kuwait..?
    A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
    B.S. - Computer & Network Security