Options

Anyone ever deal with overseas jobs with the company Vectrus?

Comments

• Options
    XepherXepher Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    ^^ This 10000%! Vectrus is known for sending out offers that aren't really solid lol. People have resigned on the offer letter only to find out that they won't be going for months out. It is not a sure thing until you get a CRC date.

I know this haha, the recruiter kept saying this every 5minutes, I just don't want to get there and already be on chopping block because of a lost contract. I have a great position for what I do now so even if it didn't pan out, I have no worries on my side of the house now. Also I got people on the ground, so I'm attempting to gather as much info as possible. I'm very cautious with what I do, before I came out to my current position I confirmed I had tickets to my new location even before putting a notice in to my old position.
    V/R

• Options
    HappyBearITHappyBearIT Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As long as the DOD still has a need for that position then you'll just xfer to the new company that picks up the contract in November (Vectrus may win it again also). If the position itself is going away then start networking with the other DOD contractors at the site so that you get picked up by them for one of their opening or open positions.
    CISSP|CCNP R&S|CCNA Security|CCNA Wireless|ITIL Foundations|VMware vSphere 6.5 Foundations|BS-Computer Science|MBA|
    Pursuing: Linux+|VCP-DCV|PCAP|
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You have two jobs once you land in-county. Do your primary job and network for the next one. Consider the 2nd a hobby you better not ignore.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    EANx wrote: »
    You have two jobs once you land in-county. Do your primary job and network for the next one. Consider the 2nd a hobby you better not ignore.

That can be said for any job you're on unless you're going to retire soon icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif
    Xepher wrote: »
    I know this haha, the recruiter kept saying this every 5minutes, I just don't want to get there and already be on chopping block because of a lost contract. I have a great position for what I do now so even if it didn't pan out, I have no worries on my side of the house now. Also I got people on the ground, so I'm attempting to gather as much info as possible. I'm very cautious with what I do, before I came out to my current position I confirmed I had tickets to my new location even before putting a notice in to my old position.

Well as others said, when contracts change, the folks already on the ground get dibs on staying here, sometimes with the exception of the senior leadership since, companies tend to want to bring their own leaders in. I think what he was saying, don't quit unless Vectrus gives you a CRC date, it happened to a colleague a few years back, he got the offer for a sys admin job in Bagram and gave his notice. Only to hear from the recruiter that Vectrus isn't sending out any system admins at this point. Luckily his manager accepted him cancelling is resignation.
  • Options
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    That can be said for any job you're on unless you're going to retire soon icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Well as others said, when contracts change, the folks already on the ground get dibs on staying here, sometimes with the exception of the senior leadership since, companies tend to want to bring their own leaders in. I think what he was saying, don't quit unless Vectrus gives you a CRC date, it happened to a colleague a few years back, he got the offer for a sys admin job in Bagram and gave his notice. Only to hear from the recruiter that Vectrus isn't sending out any system admins at this point. Luckily his manager accepted him canceling is resignation.

That's the plan, I was hoping my CRC date is after the contract change or extension hence why I haven't said anything to my bosses, but I'm going to continuing expediting my process with my quick turn around. I'm hoping my CRC is after the contract change over or extension.
    V/R

• Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At worst Vectrus name will change, as it has from ITT to Exeslis, and now Vectrus. Next to zero chance they're going anywhere, and on the offchance they do, the jobs aren't. You'll be fine. Also, while you're staying ahead of the game, CRC will not be a smooth process no matter how much preparation you do. Make sure you print out several copies of all the CBT certificates you've completed and if nothing else you definitely want to have ISOPREP finished prior, as it's a huge hassle accessing the site there, and takes forever and you'll wind up spending late nights at the training lab. (talking up til midnight, but having to be ready @ 5 am the following morning). And once you've completed medical, double and triple check your package for everything. Most notably shots, as the medical processing is the most grueling part of all of CRC and as they herd you through the stations, no one is going to work with you or assist in any hiccups no matter how minor. It took me 3 trips through a 3 hour line all because of one ambiguous phrasing about my TB / Hepatitis screening that could have been sorted out in less than 5 minutes.
  • Options
    mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Make sure you print out several copies of all the CBT certificates you've completed and if nothing else you definitely want to have ISOPREP finished prior, as it's a huge hassle accessing the site there, and takes forever and you'll wind up spending late nights at the training lab. (talking up til midnight, but having to be ready @ 5 am the following morning).

Whats CBT and ISOPREP?
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mizterkewl wrote: »
    Whats CBT and ISOPREP?
    CBT = Computer based training. It can cover any computer based training but in this context it means training required by CRC.
    ISOPREP = Isolation Preparation, meaning CBT on how to deal with being kidnapped and isolated, it's listed out separately since it is very emphasized by DoD (but not Department of State interestingly enough).
  • Options
    At worst Vectrus name will change, as it has from ITT to Exeslis, and now Vectrus. Next to zero chance they're going anywhere, and on the offchance they do, the jobs aren't. You'll be fine. Also, while you're staying ahead of the game, CRC will not be a smooth process no matter how much preparation you do. Make sure you print out several copies of all the CBT certificates you've completed and if nothing else you definitely want to have ISOPREP finished prior, as it's a huge hassle accessing the site there, and takes forever and you'll wind up spending late nights at the training lab. (talking up til midnight, but having to be ready @ 5 am the following morning). And once you've completed medical, double and triple check your package for everything. Most notably shots, as the medical processing is the most grueling part of all of CRC and as they herd you through the stations, no one is going to work with you or assist in any hiccups no matter how minor. It took me 3 trips through a 3 hour line all because of one ambiguous phrasing about my TB / Hepatitis screening that could have been sorted out in less than 5 minutes.

Roger that, since they're contracted with the Army and I currently contract with the Army, there may be lots of training I can attend other then the CBT, i'm going to push for everything that I can, so I can be that one guy that's already done before arrival even though this won't happen, i'm going to try.
    V/R

• Options
    Does anyone have information on the Vectrus Occmed medical requirements (test etc) prior to CRC deployment? I'm currently already OCONUS and wanted to verify our medical facilities could cover pre-deployment exams etc.

Note my background returned green, they will be sending me the med requirements, and I wanted to be 1 step ahead in regards to coordinating my exams (it's a pain in the *** live coordinating), I rather have as much information as possible, so I can get the jump on it.
    V/R

• Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Process update:Completed all pre CRC CBT's (saving time before I go to CRC), requested medical paperwork to get process started, but denied until clearance is verified, which will happen next week.

So I did some reading, and the contract i'm an applicant for ends 11/30, should I wait until after this period before I resign from my current job to see if it's still worth doing it?

I'm with Vectrus in Iraq. Supposedly, we getting new contracts in OCT to extend. Nothing in WRITING yet.
  • Options
    Roger that, since they're contracted with the Army and I currently contract with the Army, there may be lots of training I can attend other then the CBT, i'm going to push for everything that I can, so I can be that one guy that's already done before arrival even though this won't happen, i'm going to try.

NOPE. CRC has these instructor in class lectures you have to attend. Each class they will either stamp the paper( to get the Golden Ticket ) or scan your CAC card before attendance. NO CHANCE of being that guy. CBTs are the largest hurdle. Cause of the spotty network or CBTs going through maintenance. Make sure you cross check with the Vectrus contact person in Fort Bliss that you have completed and printed out everything.
  • Options
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    NOPE. CRC has these instructor in class lectures you have to attend. Each class they will either stamp the paper( to get the Golden Ticket ) or scan your CAC card before attendance. NO CHANCE of being that guy. CBTs are the largest hurdle. Cause of the spotty network or CBTs going through maintenance. Make sure you cross check with the Vectrus contact person in Fort Bliss that you have completed and printed out everything.

I'm going to try, I plan on having 5 hard copies and 1 soft copy of all the CBT's. I have the current list of CBT's for CRC for Vectrus which I'm working on slowly now.

Note: Clearance came back green if I haven't already mentioned this, received medical info but it was sent on EOB and we're on a labor day weekend so no progress may be made until the following week, also working logistics out of being OCONUS will be difficult.
    V/R

• Options
    What position are they offering you?
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I am considering going overseas for an IA contract. I had a couple questions on different locations and working conditions. Since Iraq and Afghan have similar pay rates and work hours (Iraq pays slightly more) Which location out of the two has better living conditions? (housing, food, gym, internet etc)

What about Kuwait/Qatar/Bahrain? I know the pay is less considering there are no uplifts.. but I'm sure the living conditions are better. I'm debating to either go to Iraq/Afghan for a year or so and then transfer to Qatar... or try and get there from day one.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do y'all thinking I will have an issue going to Afghanistan with an Israel stamp on my passport? Should I get a new passport?
  • Options
    DonklanderDonklander Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikey88 wrote: »
    I am considering going overseas for an IA contract. I had a couple questions on different locations and working conditions. Since Iraq and Afghan have similar pay rates and work hours (Iraq pays slightly more) Which location out of the two has better living conditions? (housing, food, gym, internet etc)

What about Kuwait/Qatar/Bahrain? I know the pay is less considering there are no uplifts.. but I'm sure the living conditions are better. I'm debating to either go to Iraq/Afghan for a year or so and then transfer to Qatar... or try and get there from day one.

Can't speak on either site, since never worked at either as a contractor.

However on the latter portion, you Qatar/Jordan/Bahrain IA slots tend to go pretty fast, so it's not something I'd expect to be open at an opportune time.
  • Options
    I'm going to try, I plan on having 5 hard copies and 1 soft copy of all the CBT's. I have the current list of CBT's for CRC for Vectrus which I'm working on slowly now.

Note: Clearance came back green if I haven't already mentioned this, received medical info but it was sent on EOB and we're on a labor day weekend so no progress may be made until the following week, also working logistics out of being OCONUS will be difficult.

You won't really need multiple CBT's. Mostly just ample LoA's and a copy of your Baseline/Computing Environment certifications.
  • Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only thing that changes when contractors change is the lanyard. Sometimes the talent. Going on 2 years in Iraq with Vectrus. 6 weeks of leave a year is keeping me from leaving. Took vacation in January 2018, June, September, and going again in December. Qatar is on my radar for 2020, they are building up since the world cup will be there. Qatar is a sweet spot if you get there. Good food, a real life, booze... Most use Qatar / Kuwait as the backend of their tours, after they've made their cash in Afg / Iraq.

As for living conditions, Iraq has some awesome living conditions at some bases (where the state dept. is). Other bases are hit and miss
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    Update, Vectrus has allowed me to outprocess with my current company and I have my CRC confirmation.

They worked with me every step of the way and with the support from friends in the same program as me.

They provided me with pre reqs, which I was able to complete 99% of them which gives me several hours downtime.

Does anyone have a list of recommended gear prior to me deploying to Afghanistan.
    V/R

• Options
    what you need to survive until you get there, than you can order or ship stuff.

Basics:

4 - 5 Cargo pants or Jeans
    5 - 7 Collard shirts
    Good pair of boots
    Good jacket for Rain / Cold weather
    Spit kit (tooth brush, tooth paste, shower stuff)
    Towel
    Shower shoes (Slippers or ... Crocs... Lol)
    Sleep ware
    A few pairs of civilian clothes (T-Shirts and such)
    Gym clothes
    Portable battery to recharge your phone (Clutch!)
    Good Sunglasses
    One or two combo locks for good measure
    Pair of Sneakers
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    How is Bagram anyways? As far as living? Internet?

Have a possible offer that I'm highly considering because 230k is something that made me think.
  • Options
    heezyhuynh404heezyhuynh404 Registered Users Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    230k? Whaf position?
  • Options
    RakuraiRakurai Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□

Have a possible offer that I'm highly considering because 230k is something that made me think.
    Bagram would be a dream deployment for me, unless I had the chance to go live at the Embassy. Where I would live at on Bagram is single man rooms with own bathroom. I have no idea what the other living areas on Bagram are like.

Internet, compared to RS HQ (Kabul, where I am at) could be a bit more expensive. Here we pay per Gb (I think the other day I bought 3 Gig for $7, but down speed is ****). The internet that I saw on Bagram was by speed/length of time (5-7 Mbps/month I thin was around $150).

As far as food goes, their is 4 (?) DFAC's on Bagram, they serve the same quality food. I think I also heard there is a Subway somewhere on Bagram.

Overall, its a deployment. As long as you don't see the nice apartment style living the US Embassy has you hopefully won't be hating life, too much.
  • Options
    MHardesty619MHardesty619 Registered Users Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited November 2018
    Greetings! 

I just accepted an offer for ADPE/Service Desk Administration for Afghanistan on Wednesday.

I want to continue the running "Thank You"s to all who regularly contribute their knowledge and experience. I have learned a lot reading through this discussion and would confidently say this is one of the best resources available regarding this company on the internet.

I have many questions that I couldn't find a clear answer on, so, please forgive me for the impending wall of text.

General
    • It seems like the clearance process has speed up considerable in the past few years. Would between 1-2 months be a reasonable estimate?
    • Vectrus seems to be a well established company so I am assuming that them loosing the contract during a deployment is unlikely? 
    • How difficult is it to get home or go abroad for vacation?
    • Where in Afghanistan have you been deployed? Bagram/Kandahar Air Base or a FOB?
    CRC
    • How soon to you get access to the CBT training modules? Is it better to get them out of the way before CRC or would that leave you with nothing but boredem for most of the week?
    • Are you required to stay on the base or can you get a local hotel and UBER?
    • If you stay on the base is there anything to do when not being processed? Should I bring a laptop or Switch to entertain myself?
    • What are you allowed to/should bring for CRC?
    • Do I need to being everything I am taking to the deployment with me to CRC?
    MILAIR
    • Do you get put onto a flight to Kuwait immediately after CRC is complete?
    • What was your flying experience like? Were you on a military aircraft or was it a chartered commercial flight?
    • I've read about people who end up on a C-5 or C-17 have space to lay on the deck or use an air mattress to sleep. Is this something to plan for?
    • Does the flight normally go directly to Kuwait or are there international layovers?
    • What did you do/bring to make the flight a better experience? What would you recommend?
    Deployment
    • I know living arrangements vary with location and availability, but what was yours like? How much physical room was designated to be yours? How many people to a room?
    • How big are the beds? I'm a tall guy and my feet usually hang off the end on anything shorter than a extra long twin or a queen.
    • Would there be room for a small TV or would a small projector be better?  
    • Is the internet at the major bases good enough for online gaming? i.e. XBox Live or Steam?
    • How do you ship things to yourself or have others ship to you? Is it expensive or does USPS give a preferred rate to military installations?
    • What address do you put down for Amazon to deliver to? I've been trying to figure it out so I can get a feel of what the shipping time/cost will be but cant get it right.
    • The offer letter I received stated that housing and food would be provided by the military. I'm assuming that only applies to the dining facilities on the base but are there other options available? What was the food like at the DFAC's?
    • Did you bring a cell phone for calling home or did you just rely on internet and computers/iPad for skype and/or facetime?
    • If anyone uses Google Project Fi what was the coverage like? Are you allowed to use the internet hotspot internationally?
    Compensation
    • Is the 3/4 pay for the first 45 days a real thing? I didn't see it anywhere in the offer or the salary breakdown summary.
    • After the FEIE how is your income taxed? Does it fall into the normal brackets as your only income source(i.e. starting at the very bottom income level) or are there international tax rates?
    • Will Vectrus take taxes our of my check or can I take it all at once and have an accountant figure it all out?
    Again, sorry for the wall of text. I just like to be through and know all the variables, and, this will hopefully answer a lot of questions for others in the future. I will fill in this post with answers if anyone thinks this should serve as a information source.

Thank you very much.

• Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You are probably getting a bit ahead of yourself. Interim clearances can be granted in 1-2 months and finals are taking over a year now. 

Second, the medical screening process used for deployment is MOD 13, which is the same standard that active duty soldiers go though. Better to look this up to make sure you can get cleared and not waste any time.

and third, even if you get though all that, a position may not be available for you and you'll be put on a waiting list. Note that medical clearances are valid for 90 days.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    Thank you for the advice, Mikey. I have already looked through MOD 13 and am well within spec. I was aware about the potential wait once I’ve completed the checklist and am not expecting a call next week to deploy. These are just questions about what life will be like when the time comes.

• Options
    Rakurai said:

Bagram would be a dream deployment for me, unless I had the chance to go live at the Embassy. Where I would live at on Bagram is single man rooms with own bathroom. I have no idea what the other living areas on Bagram are like.

Internet, compared to RS HQ (Kabul, where I am at) could be a bit more expensive. Here we pay per Gb (I think the other day I bought 3 Gig for $7, but down speed is ****). The internet that I saw on Bagram was by speed/length of time (5-7 Mbps/month I thin was around $150).

As far as food goes, their is 4 (?) DFAC's on Bagram, they serve the same quality food. I think I also heard there is a Subway somewhere on Bagram.

Overall, its a deployment. As long as you don't see the nice apartment style living the US Embassy has you hopefully won't be hating life, too much.

Yea, I just got an offer letter today.  Heavily considering it, because I could do a year pretty easy.  It's better than when I went to northern Iraq as a soldier, but then again there's a certain level of comradery that you get which made it passable.

I'm mostly concerned with internet, and I've heard long the lines of that same bandwidth too, which is easily doable. But I am going to assume it's similar to everywhere else I've been where DL speed just DIES when people get off work. 

• Options

JESUS WALL OF TEXT!!!!

Ok, lets go. 

• It seems like the clearance process has speed up considerable in the past few years. Would between 1-2 months be a reasonable estimate?
    OPM is still backlogged. There was some relief however with a new agency / organization taking over the processes that OPM failed to streamline. Lets see when another breach will happen .. .?
    • Vectrus seems to be a well established company so I am assuming that them loosing the contract during a deployment is unlikely? 
    Nothing is ever promised. Vectrus is currently in re-compete, but we have a good contract for the next 2 years via extensions. Guaranteed a job for atleast 2 more years. Vectrus / ITT / Excelis has held this contract for over 15 years. 
    • How difficult is it to get home or go abroad for vacation?
    From Afghanistan, I hear its easy. You fly out of Kabul International I hear. 
    • Where in Afghanistan have you been deployed? Bagram/Kandahar Air Base or a FOB?
    Bagram and Kandahar are pretty sweet. Most other places aren't too bad. As long as you have hot food, decent internet, and a bed with AC in a CHU. You're high lux living. 

CRC
    • How soon to you get access to the CBT training modules? Is it better to get them out of the way before CRC or would that leave you with nothing but boredem for most of the week?
    Do the CBT's as soon as you can. At home or at CRC. At CRC, most people wait until the last few days to complete the course's. Don't do that. Crush a few every day.
    • Are you required to stay on the base or can you get a local hotel and UBER?
    You can do a hotel and Uber, not recommended. Knew a few people who did that, missed a few classes and basically got recycled. Your choice though !
    • If you stay on the base is there anything to do when not being processed? Should I bring a laptop or Switch to entertain myself?
    Bring a switch. Hit up the local PX / Movie theatre or sports bar. 
    • What are you allowed to/should bring for CRC?
    You're traveling to Afghanistan. Whatever you bring to CRC is what you should bring to CRC. 
    • Do I need to being everything I am taking to the deployment with me to CRC?
    Yes, you will not be flying home. You go from CRC > Kuwait for processing into Afghanistan. 

MILAIR
    • Do you get put onto a flight to Kuwait immediately after CRC is complete?
    Yes, CRC > Kuwait. 
    • What was your flying experience like? Were you on a military aircraft or was it a chartered commercial flight?
    A trashy commercial flight with duck tape on the wings. Flown from the base to Kuwait. Pack some melatonin or Dream Water (sold at the PX)
    • I've read about people who end up on a C-5 or C-17 have space to lay on the deck or use an air mattress to sleep. Is this something to plan for?
    LOL, no. 
    • Does the flight normally go directly to Kuwait or are there international layovers?
    Germany or Ireland. But its usually for 2 - 3 hours. 
    • What did you do/bring to make the flight a better experience? What would you recommend?
    Lots of Melotonin and Dream Water. Anything to knock you out for the 9+ hour trip. 

Deployment
    • I know living arrangements vary with location and availability, but what was yours like? How much physical room was designated to be yours? How many people to a room?
    Varies. Just wait until you are assigned a base. Go in with an open mind, 0 expectations.
    • How big are the beds? I'm a tall guy and my feet usually hang off the end on anything shorter than a extra long twin or a queen.
    Beds are usually twins. 
    • Would there be room for a small TV or would a small projector be better?  
    Wait until you get to the base / room. 
    • Is the internet at the major bases good enough for online gaming? i.e. XBox Live or Steam?
    Varies. Expect to pay big dollars for half decent internet. (2mbps is like FIOS)
    • How do you ship things to yourself or have others ship to you? Is it expensive or does USPS give a preferred rate to military installations?
    There are USPS's at these bases. You just need to know your APO. Wait until you get assigned at your final location.
    • What address do you put down for Amazon to deliver to? I've been trying to figure it out so I can get a feel of what the shipping time/cost will be but cant get it right.
    See above, get amazon prime, 2 - 3 weeks delivery. 
    • The offer letter I received stated that housing and food would be provided by the military. I'm assuming that only applies to the dining facilities on the base but are there other options available? What was the food like at the DFAC's?
    Depends on the base. KAF and BAF have resturants like KFC, pizza hut, Applebee's, Friday's, etc. Smaller bases are hit and miss. Be fortunate if your base has hot meals. 
    • Did you bring a cell phone for calling home or did you just rely on internet and computers/iPad for skype and/or facetime?
    Download WhatsApp. I kept my cell plan cause I can do WiFi calling (for those pesky phone verifications). WhatsApp is what most people here use. Yes for all else. I don't know if Apple has WiFi calling. Samsung does, and I have sprint. Tmobile also works here with Wifi calling (in Iraq, idk about Afghanistan, ask your sponsor). 
    • If anyone uses Google Project Fi what was the coverage like? Are you allowed to use the internet hotspot internationally?
    My friend uses Google here, he said it's been pretty good. Not reliable like the US, but enough to get WhatsApp texts out. 

Compensation
    • Is the 3/4 pay for the first 45 days a real thing? I didn't see it anywhere in the offer or the salary breakdown summary.
    I don't know if thats still a thing or not. If its not on the offer, its not a thing. Ask the recruiter / sponsor. 
    • After the FEIE how is your income taxed? Does it fall into the normal brackets as your only income source(i.e. starting at the very bottom income level) or are there international tax rates?
    Talk to a tax professional. 
    • Will Vectrus take taxes our of my check or can I take it all at once and have an accountant figure it all out?
    You can go exempt for the entire year, just expect to pay back the IRS a fat check. Or, like most, wait until your past the $104K and then get taxes taken out. This all assumes you stay out of the US for 330 days (35 days in states is allowed, 1 day after that, 36 days, and you owe Uncle Sam back taxes)
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    As always, LittleBIT delivers like Western Union. Thank you for the information, you rock. I will keep my head down and try not to chew my fingers off in anticipation.