Options

Anyone ever deal with overseas jobs with the company Vectrus?

Comments

• Options
    SpeghettySpeghetty Registered Users Posts: 131 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes. There is one and yes you can get a waiver.
  • Options
    MHardesty619MHardesty619 Registered Users Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe the BMI is 35. It’s in one of the standard army medical regulations. I’ll try to find it.
  • Options
    Also I recommend if you do plan on coming out to ask them when the contract ends. Just a forewarning before you come out here all I am going to say. 
  • Options
    chriscurtis83chriscurtis83 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Speghetty said:
    Clearance isn’t going to get you more money nor will the cert. All they care about is you have minimum requirements to fill the position you take what they give. As far as salary they are on the lower end for most of the contracts. 

I'm already on BAF and make just barely 200k but I recently got my PMP and want to see what the range is for a PM slot at another company. Ideally I can get into the mid 200's somewhere else in a PM roll. Is that possible with another company overseas? I've asked my co-workers but they only know pay for technical positions. And my PM won't give me pay ranges because he just doesn't do that.
  • Options
    I mean yea it is possible. I’m on BAF right now also. I don’t know ranges either especially not for other companies I know there is a lot of contracts that are ending. So it will all change anyways. Also if switch to another company going to lose that vacation time that we get.
  • Options
    DoevilDoevil Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just curious on the medical side of things. Is there a BMI/weight restriction?  Trying to get ducks in a row before I apply and I think I saw that you had to be within a certain BMI range. Also if there is is it possible to get a waiver? 

BMI req is <40 I believe.  Not too stringent.  I'm middle aged and overweight with a BMI about 35. I had no issues. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    The applicable health regulations for CRC is called MOD13. regarding weight and BMI it states,

BODY MASS INDEX (BMI) CUTOFF

MOD 13 includes more stringent BMI guidelines. While MOD 12 required a waiver for any individual with both BMI greater than 35 and serious chronic diseases like diabetes, cardiovascular disease, or hypertension, MOD 13 requires a waiver simply for BMI greater than 35, whether or not a significant comorbidity is present.

The regulation that individuals with morbid obesity—BMI greater than 40 or weight over 300 pounds—cannot be deployed is carried over from MOD 12. Uniformed service personnel that are in compliance with their branch’s body fat guidelines do not require a waiver.

I am sure if you are pushing 7ft tall or are super **** jacked, they will likely give you a waiver for being over the 300 lb threshold.

• Options

I'm currently at KAF. Survived the floods. Awaiting my network credentials then will TDY to Shorab.  Other than dealing with JarHeads, anyone got any recent insight on Camp Shorab?  Google doesn't make it look pleasant.  :-)

• Options
    I call bullshit that they won’t waiver it cause there are people out here who are severely obese. Some of the people that were at CRC couldn’t fit a vest on and still made it out.
  • Options
    I am sure you heard the news of the attack that just happened at shorab?
  • Options
    Doevil said:
    Just curious on the medical side of things. Is there a BMI/weight restriction?  Trying to get ducks in a row before I apply and I think I saw that you had to be within a certain BMI range. Also if there is is it possible to get a waiver? 

BMI req is <40 I believe.  Not too stringent.  I'm middle aged and overweight with a BMI about 35. I had no issues. 

Disregard, someone smarter than me posted BMI needs to be <35. My bad. Thanks to MHardesty619 for the correct info!
  • Options
    Speghetty said:
    I call bullshit that they won’t waiver it cause there are people out here who are severely obese. Some of the people that were at CRC couldn’t fit a vest on and still made it out.
    I'm 6'2" and 35 BMI for me is 272, so I can imagine some bigger people getting in under the cutoff. But, I also assume the waiver isn't terribly hard to get if the rest of your vitals are in good shape.
  • Options
    Doevil said:
    Doevil said:

Disregard, someone smarter than me posted BMI needs to be <35. My bad. Thanks to MHardesty619 for the correct info!
    Always glad to help!
  • Options
    Speghetty said:
    I am sure you heard the news of the attack that just happened at shorab?

Yep. Sounds like a frequent occurrence.  I was on the phone with those guys as they were in contact. The ANA's took the brunt of it.  Any insight on living conditions? Other than to stay living?  :-)
  • Options
    I am not currently there one of my buddies is though. I’ll try to get some info from him. He is on this forum as well he might see it in the AM.
  • Options
    Doevil, do you mind offering any tips for someone in the pipeline to the sandbox? I'm in the clearance process now and am curious about what I can expect for living conditions, what to pack, and what there is to do to pass the time. What is the internet like out there?
  • Options
    Doevil, do you mind offering any tips for someone in the pipeline to the sandbox? I'm in the clearance process now and am curious about what I can expect for living conditions, what to pack, and what there is to do to pass the time. What is the internet like out there?

Have you been assigned a duty station yet? I’m at BAF right now he info about here.
  • Options
    Speghetty said:

Have you been assigned a duty station yet? I’m at BAF right now he info about here.
    No, not yet. All I know is it's Afghanistan. I guess "Sandbox" could have meant Qatar or Iraq too, so my bad lol.
  • Options

Seems like most people use DHI out here, It sucks. I tried it for a month and didn't renew. Luckily the org I'm with gives us free internet in our rooms.
  • Options
    Yea DHI is the norm for Internet out here it is $155 a month for 6 mbps. You won’t get that speed 75 percent of the time. Living conditions are 2 man rooms. They have DEFACS for chow also a Pizza Hut and subway. 
  • Options

Seems like most people use DHI out here, It sucks. I tried it for a month and didn't renew. Luckily the org I'm with gives us free internet in our rooms.
    Are you with Vectrus?
  • Options

Are you with Vectrus?

Are you with Vectrus?

Nope but I think this forum is pretty much the only active source of info for folks out here.
  • Options

Sure.  I'll start by saying; read this entire post. All 44 pages of it.  There is a ton of good info on here that really helped me out.  Best advise is to travel light. Do everything in your power to travel to CRC with only a backpack. 3-5 days clothes and toiletries.  When at CRC buy the large rolling bag for your TA-50 (armor vest and helmet) gear.  You will spend 2 weeks traveling and not having 3 bags makes a huge difference. Get your address ahead of time and ships as much as you can.  I packed up a pelican footlocker and sent that over.  Saved my ass.  You will learn patience in this process.  you are right now months from being in country.  Vectrus is slow.  In my humble opinion they are slow, but organized.  Although not perfect.  I felt lost through the CRC and travel to site steps.  Use this time to bulk up on certs.  I know that SA's (Systems Administrators) are in high demand in Afghanistan and Iraq (where the money is). Here at KAF we have only one. 2 of us are here and awaiting our credentials to get to work. I'm currently working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week.  Arduous, but great money.  Make sure you verify your current certs qualify for the job promised.  3 guys here at KAF came over as SA's with their Server+; that works in Iraq, but not here. They are currently working in ADPE (computer imaging/repair) until they get their MCSA 2012/16 cert to be SA's.  Feel free to ask any specific question(s). I'm here all night, every night. :-)

Living conditions are tight, 3 guys in a four man room.  Bring 550 cord and curtains/blankets to cordon off a private area. Internet sux, but is good enough for one stream of Netflix/hulu/Plex at low resolution.   Food is good, better than any other base I visited along the way.  To pass time you can study and test on sight, hit the gym, read, or like a lazy fat ass like me, sit in your bed and watch TV. 

• Options
    Speghetty said:
    Yea DHI is the norm for Internet out here it is $155 a month for 6 mbps. You won’t get that speed 75 percent of the time. Living conditions are 2 man rooms. They have DEFACS for chow also a Pizza Hut and subway. 

I use iPhone-neda. They have an Ethernet cable in each spot in each room.  I'm crazy and pay $290/mo. for 9Mbs.  I rarely get it, usually about 5-7mbs.  Definitely bring a cheap router, helps a lot.
  • Options
    Speghetty said:
    I am not currently there one of my buddies is though. I’ll try to get some info from him. He is on this forum as well he might see it in the AM.
    Looks like you are at BAF, do you mind sharing your position?  I'm a new SA at KAF.  I have a couple buddies at BAF.  Is your guy at shorab Vectrus IT?  I wouldn't mind an intro if so, as I'm headed there to be the solo SA soon.  I'm heading out by the end of the month.  Appreciate it.
  • Options
    Speghetty said:

No, not yet. All I know is it's Afghanistan. I guess "Sandbox" could have meant Qatar or Iraq too, so my bad lol.

Not to be argumentative but, I'd substitute "sandbox" for "Box of Rocks." In more ways than one. :-)
  • Options
    Doevil said:
    Speghetty said:
    Looks like you are at BAF, do you mind sharing your position?  I'm a new SA at KAF.  I have a couple buddies at BAF.  Is your guy at shorab Vectrus IT?  I wouldn't mind an intro if so, as I'm headed there to be the solo SA soon.  I'm heading out by the end of the month.  Appreciate it.

I am at BAF I am the Vulnerability Analyst here. My buddy is a OSP guy with Vectrus.
  • Options
    Yes I reccomend some boots with good ankle support that are water proof. It snows during the winter and gets muddy and slippery.
  • Options
    Doevil said:

Sure.  I'll start by saying; read this entire post. All 44 pages of it.  There is a ton of good info on here that really helped me out.  Best advise is to travel light. Do everything in your power to travel to CRC with only a backpack. 3-5 days clothes and toiletries.  When at CRC buy the large rolling bag for your TA-50 (armor vest and helmet) gear.  You will spend 2 weeks traveling and not having 3 bags makes a huge difference. Get your address ahead of time and ships as much as you can.  I packed up a pelican footlocker and sent that over.  Saved my ass.  You will learn patience in this process.  you are right now months from being in country.  Vectrus is slow.  In my humble opinion they are slow, but organized.  Although not perfect.  I felt lost through the CRC and travel to site steps.  Use this time to bulk up on certs.  I know that SA's (Systems Administrators) are in high demand in Afghanistan and Iraq (where the money is). Here at KAF we have only one. 2 of us are here and awaiting our credentials to get to work. I'm currently working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week.  Arduous, but great money.  Make sure you verify your current certs qualify for the job promised.  3 guys here at KAF came over as SA's with their Server+; that works in Iraq, but not here. They are currently working in ADPE (computer imaging/repair) until they get their MCSA 2012/16 cert to be SA's.  Feel free to ask any specific question(s). I'm here all night, every night. :-)

Living conditions are tight, 3 guys in a four man room.  Bring 550 cord and curtains/blankets to cordon off a private area. Internet sux, but is good enough for one stream of Netflix/hulu/Plex at low resolution.   Food is good, better than any other base I visited along the way.  To pass time you can study and test on sight, hit the gym, read, or like a lazy fat ass like me, sit in your bed and watch TV. 

Much appreciated on the info. I found this forum back in November when I got the offer and chewed through all 40 pages in an afternoon lol. Advice for another source never hurts, though.

I have Sec+ but I need a CE cert before I deploy. I'm gonna go for one of the Win10 certs just to get it out of the way. I was offered an SA position but didn't pass the tech interview, however, they interviewed me for ADPE/Service Desk Admin and I passed, so I assume I'm gonna be living in an upgrade/imaging slog for my duration. I've heard they Vecturs is big on inter promotion and advancement, though. I will try to get some more knowledge under my belt and try to get an SA position when I'm out there. Have you seen this happen for anyone else?

Regarding the "2 weeks traveling" is that including the week at CRC? If not, what is the process of getting on location like? Also, how much was shipping for your pelican box?

Thank you
  • Options
    Yea Vectrus rather promote within then have to bring someone else over. You have to wait minimum 6 months in your current job then you can switch. You will have a tech out interview. Also regards to traveling you will spend 1 week at CRC and 1 week in Kuwait. You will fly Via mil air to which ever base you go to.