Options

One Man Show

markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
Anyone have any experience being the one guy for a medium sized business?

My supervisor is quitting and he was also their compliance officer, so that leaves just me to manage all Security and their entire infrastructure until they hire someone else. I'm a bit intimidated so I'm curious if anyone else has gone through this. I will definitely need to hire another guy to do what I do, so I wouldn't be opposed to hiring a fellow TE member.

Comments

• Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im working on my resume now... if you are looking to hire someone let me know.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've been in a position similar to that. You are definitely going to have to hire someone. But this could also be a good opportunity for you as well.
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the promotion. icon_cheers.gif
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are you taking over for your boss or is the person they will hire taking his spot? Your post is confusing on that point. Regardless, I would sit with him as much as possible as to make the transition much smoother (as it appears from your post he hasn't left just yet). It would be my hope that you worked closely throughout his tenure and the transition would be a smooth one, but alas that is rarely the case. At the very least, if you have a good working relationship, I would suggest you get his phone number and establish what time window would work in the event you have a question.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    I'll take 30k to start and a new bicycle.
  • Options
    @ITSpectre, sure send me your resume.

So it's not really clear to me either. I think I'm taking over for him but I guess it depends who they find. The promotion would possibly only give me a 3k pay increase but maybe not that even. We did talk already about me being able to reach out to him after. I've only been here a month so I'll need that resource
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PM me your email
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'll say you've turned my ears a bit. Mind PMing me some details? I may have some interest depending on what all it entails. (Currently working in a SOC/NOC for a banking industry company)
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Don't do too good of a job on your own or else they will never hire a replacement.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    wow, lol, I plan on moving to Colorado in 2-3 years, got one helluva opportunity now, and the lady got a promotion, so we are working on some 2 year goals before we make the move, but if I was out there I would definitely been all over this.

Hopefully you find a suitable replacement and the knowledge transfer from your previous supervisor is decent. One thing I've already noticed is my current manager is getting calls left and right to become a Security Director.. the upwards movement in IT Security is crazy right now, So many openings that once you get in, you start getting calls and opportunities for openings at a higher level, or the people above you get snatched away and you have to fill their roles.
  • Options
    yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you need help, let me know. I recently finished my BSIT....You can be the supervisor :)
    Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)
  • Options
    One thing I'll have to push for is a job title change. My supervisor's title was CISO, but they never officially made it that. Even if 90% of the stuff I'm doing is sys/net admin stuff, having that title should help me in the future.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,055 ■■■■■■■■□□
    markulous wrote: »
    So it's not really clear to me either. I think I'm taking over for him but I guess it depends who they find. The promotion would possibly only give me a 3k pay increase but maybe not that even.
    One thing I'll have to push for is a job title change. My supervisor's title was CISO, but they never officially made it that.

Please excuse my tone.... but i gotta call BuLLCRAP.

$3,000 a year??
    That's about $250 more a month (before taxes).
    Are you doing MORE Work?

I hate to be "that guy", but you have a LOT of untapped leverage right now.
    Your boss just gave Notice.
    What would they do if YOU put in Notice too?

they NEED you right now.
    ACTUALLY, they need your boss right now. But he's out-the-door; you are the life-line/proxy back to him.

If you are going to be handling more Responsibilities, and if you want to be better compenstaed,
    Then you need to figure out what that 'number' is, and then "step up" and demand it :]
    If you want a better 'title'..... Demand a better title.

my 2 cents.

EDIT:
    I just saw your other thread. Is this the Sys Admin role that's paying $57,000?
    ANy idea Why your Supervisor is quitting (perhaps crappy pay)?
    Is there anyone left to train/teach you New things?

I get the impression that you are nervous about the security compliance responsibilities; I get that.
    Maybe it is Better that the company hire someone else to replace your Boss. Or maybe Not.

Either way,
    i would Demand that mid 60's salary that you orginally gave them. (Sys Admins make more than 57k)
    And if you eventually do Take Over for your Boss (ISO compliance, etc)... leave room to explore another raise in 3-6 months.

That's what i would do if i were you.
    But i don't have a Wife & kid.... so i'm not you ;]
  • Options
    ^^^Sounds like good advice.
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Be civil about your demands. Bad stuff can happen when you put a gun to someone's head.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    DPG wrote: »
    Be civil about your demands. Bad stuff can happen when you put a gun to someone's head.

Especially since he has only been there a month, its not like he has years of experience there and knows everything.
  • Options
    Absolutely guys... delivery is key :]

But my point doesn't change.
    He's going to have to STAND UP "if" he want's better compensation.

Or, maybe, its Not about the $$$.
    Maybe he left vmware for other reasons (better experience?).

Personally, i would NEVER agree to take over my Supervisor's job... for $3,000 more.
    Well.... unless they put a gun to my head, i guess ;)

But even then, i would simply LEARN everything that i could, and then LEAVE them with promptly.
    (hmmm... i guess Bad stuff DOES happen when you put a gun to someone's head)
  • Options
    As Network Newb said, I've only been here a month. Half of the stuff here I hardly have any experience with. Once I'm comfortable with everything and it starts the plateau more I'll ask for more or just move on.

Fwiw my supervisor really does almost the same exact job as me, it's just that FISMA requires separation of duties so he does a hair more security stuff and is the lead for us. I doubt I can get more than 60k even if I was a rock star though. That's just the way this place works. I'm not too concerned as I said I'll get paid in 6 to 12 months regardless
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Poor Mark... Whoa its him...
  • Options
    Remedymp wrote: »
    Poor Mark... Whoa its him...

Think you were going for "woe is me" at the end there.
  • Options
    lol
    i was definitely confused :]

Well, it sounds like Markulous knows what he's looking for (experience).
    Can't fault a person for that!

Hell, i just quit my last job because i wasn't learning Anything new.
    (and i still havent found a new one yet).
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□

I think he knows I'm poking fun at him.
  • Options
    Remedymp wrote: »
    I think he knows I'm poking fun at him.

Ohhh so that is why you messed up the saying, must be an inside joke... icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yep did it for a major commercial real estate co for 11 yrs. Dallas, Houston, Denver, Salt lake. I was their IT guy. HQ did defined images, security, switches/routers,GPO but that was about it. I did everything else. New CIO came on and laid all of us off to IBM out sourcing. That was 2011. Looking for it now but cant find anything
  • Options
    I'm getting a bit discouraged. I like what I can put on my resume (SIEM, FISMA, CIS, Nessus, etc), but I'm not sure they'll hire anyone. And if they do, they aren't going to be worth much. The owner is controlling the whole interview process (and he's not the least bit technical, nor does he understand any type of IT management) and he keeps saying that he wants an expert on our phone system. The phone system is a Nortel Option 11...Yes it came out in the 70s and the system itself here is almost just as old. It's doubtful you're going to find many experts with this. We have so many other things that need to be done that it's a bit ridiculous.

It's unrealistic that I can do everything for them in this environment, especially when the users are going to double here in the next few months.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sounds like you could be screwed.

Any chance you can find a hot blonde with mad tech skills and a desire for low salary? He might hire her.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd give it a few more weeks, and if nothing changes, ask for half of the empty position's salary to consolidate the positions. If they won't give you extra money, just call their bluff and put in your notice.
  • Options
    Well the IT Manager died, my counterpart quit, and the help desk guy can only do IT a couple hours a day because they have him on data processing, so I'm doing all those roles. Regardless, I don't know if I'd want to put in my notice as a bluff to get more $. Seems like that's a surefire way to only get compensated until they actually do hire someone else then they can let me go.
  • Options
    Sounds like an unhealthy environment. Maybe it's time to start sending out resumes.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Prepare 3 envelopes.