Options

One Man Show

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That looks great, but I think I'm way underqualified for that. It's a senior role.

-5 to 7 years of experience with the deployment of at least 3 of the following firewall platforms: Cisco, Fortinet, Checkpoint, or Juniper
    -5 to 7 years of experience with the deployment of at least 3 of the following IDS/IPS platforms: Cisco, Juniper, Tipping Point, Sourcefire, McAfee, or Snort
    -5 to 7 years of experience with *nix operating systems
    -Experience with Web Application Firewalls a plus
    -Certifications preferred: GCIA, GCFW, CCNP Security, CCSE, JNCIS-FWV, JNCIS-SEC, CISSP or similar
    certification preferable
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Fake it till you make it! JK

Besides dood you have like 10 certs man! You look ready for a senior role! CCNA is a big time certification.
  • Options
    @DatabaseHead icon_lol.gif I should make sure I print them off and throw them on the table during the interview

So not sure what it means, but the job I interviewed with so many times reposted the job on LinkedIn. They said they wouldn't make a decision for a couple weeks and could possibly have one more interview. But maybe it doesn't mean anything, I dunno. icon_surprised.gif
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    markulous wrote: »
    @DatabaseHead icon_lol.gif I should make sure I print them off and throw them on the table during the interview

So not sure what it means, but the job I interviewed with so many times reposted the job on LinkedIn. They said they wouldn't make a decision for a couple weeks and could possibly have one more interview. But maybe it doesn't mean anything, I dunno. icon_surprised.gif
    I truly hate when companies do that. Maybe it is one of those legal things they need to do before making a decision. Sending more cyber vibes..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    I'm guessing it's a legal thing or HR just reposted it since no one has technically been hired. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense. The director said he would narrow 5 people down to 3, then down to 2 in a couple weeks and that's when we would potentially have a 4th interview. It's also the best set of interviews I ever had.

On another note. They interviewed a couple guys at my work. Since I'm not invited to the interview process I tried prying in on their conversation and heard the owner trying to talk tech and it was painful. At one point it sounded like he was arguing how many GBs in a TB icon_surprised.gif
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Geez, this seems like a really drawn-out interview process. Both IT jobs I've had consisted of a ten-minute phone conversation, and a call two days later to say I was hired, and my start date is X....

Good luck bud, hopefully it all goes well!
  • Options
    Thanks.

Well they wanted 3 people to interview us. And one has been out for surgery. He gets back next week but then one of the other guys is on vacation the following week so they're trying to still narrow down the field until then.
  • Options
    Markulous - Make it rain with those certs.

Agreed that process sounds about as broke as they get.
  • Options
    Now that I think about it, if the interview process is that unorganized then I guess it's not surprising that they reposted the job. I got good vibes from the place but their security department is new so probably a situation where there's a lot of undocumented processes.
  • Options
    Mark makes as much sense as any other theory..... Maybe if you had your CCNA wireless I could send you good vibes! Just kidding wish you the best. Can't wait when you bounce, I'mm pulling for no two weeks notice.
  • Options
    I can't wait either. If it's on a Thursday or Friday that I get an offer I'll probably tell them the following Friday is my last day. If it's a Monday or maybe a Tuesday then probably that Friday will be my last day.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I can't wait either. If it's on a Thursday or Friday that I get an offer I'll probably tell them the following Friday is my last day. If it's a Monday or maybe a Tuesday then probably that Friday will be my last day.

I'm dying to know who your current employer is, would you consider identifying them after you give notice? Employers like this should be blacklisted, no competent computer professional should have to put up with there bull.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    That's fair, but consider the circumstances. After 7 months there was no challenge left at VMware and they had tons of layoffs. Once the layoffs happened, there was no going to another department that offered more challenges. Either I stay and be bored troubleshooting VDI or try to take on a bigger challenge. I planned on staying at the current job for 18-24 months, but with how toxic the place is and them having me absorb 3 other jobs and expecting me to be fine is unrealistic. There's likely jobs out there that think I'm a job hopper, but this place is so stressful.
  • Options
    Well got a 45 minute interview tomorrow with that place I tested at. So I'm hoping that means they're comfortable with my technical knowledge and this may be the final interview. Hopefully this week I get some really good news on something.

The place I'm at now ended up hiring someone Friday and I guess they're starting today. No one told me anything. I had an employee here say, "Oh hey your new IT guy is here doing training." I emailed my boss and asked what level of access he needs, if I'm supervising him (or visa versa), etc. and no response...wtf. I'm curious how much he really knows when there's no way they asked him anything technical.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well got a 45 minute interview tomorrow with that place I tested at. So I'm hoping that means they're comfortable with my technical knowledge and this may be the final interview. Hopefully this week I get some really good news on something.

The place I'm at now ended up hiring someone Friday and I guess they're starting today. No one told me anything. I had an employee here say, "Oh hey your new IT guy is here doing training." I emailed my boss and asked what level of access he needs, if I'm supervising him (or visa versa), etc. and no response...wtf. I'm curious how much he really knows when there's no way they asked him anything technical.

Good luck this week and hope you get good news.

Sounds to me the silence is the boss basically giving you the cold shoulder as he isn't sure exactly how or when he's going to fire you. And if he interviewed someone on Friday and they started today, he just hired someone with little IT experience or a great BSer that was unemployed and likely hasn't been in a while. No background check could be done in that short of a time frame also. I'd start scrubbing your machine and backing up whatever you need from your work computer now.

Don't set up anything for him and don't pass any knowledge over if you get no response from your boss. Let him figure it out and set up your boss for some pain. Then after he fires you and needs your help with things once the new guy takes down stuff because he has no clue what he is doing they'll either have to lose data, or pay you a "consulting fee" to get things back up and running. I'd suggest a fee of around $175-200 per hour. 2 Hour minimum of course.
  • Options
    That's kind of what I'm thinking about the cold shoulder. I walked right by the owner this morning and he didn't say one word. You'd think that'd be a good time to be like, "Oh hey by the by, we got you help."

Well I can't really procrastinate creating his accounts for too long unless they're firing me at the end of today. Unless I'm just going on strike right now icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Brutal situation....... Sounds like you are taking it in stride. You'll come out tougher from this situation.

PS Agree, the lack of communication (IMO) means he is done with you. Hope that didn't come off harsh, but don't want to blow smoke either.....
  • Options
    If your boss doesn't tell you to create his accounts, don't create them. If I were you, I'd just stop working, and study for the CHFI all day. By the time they realize you're not doing anything, it'll already be too late icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    At this point, you are just waiting for further directions. Again, back up and sanitize everything of yours on your work computer if you haven't done so already. You shall soon be free of that madhouse.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You boss obviously isn't management material. A smart manager would tell you hey we got you help, let you set everything up for him, let you teach him the job, Than fire you. The way he's treating you, he's practically asking you to leave now. He obviously is one of those manager types that has no clue how much work is involved keeping a smoothly running IT operation. It will bite him in the end, when crap breaks and he's has to pay a consult ten times the cost to fix things that what it would have cost if the operation was managed correctly in the first place. Honestly I don't know how the guy you replaced put up with things so long, maybe he was there only 3 months too, replacing the last guy that only lasted 3 months and so on.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Well my boss had me create his accounts, so I did. I'm just hoping I get something quickly.

I agree that I'm probably on the way out based on his attitude.

Man you guys called it. No background check done on this guy and he hasn't even signed an offer letter! He has no idea what he's making. FWIW, he actually seems like a decent guy that is experienced and can do the job (although I haven't tasked him to do anything yet). But he seemed scared when I told him everything and explained how disorganized everything was. My guess is either he won't show up tomorrow or he'll find something else quickly.
  • Options
    That would be funny.
  • Options
    You're approaching soap opera-levels of craziness now. Haha
  • Options
    I wish I was on the other side of this listening to someone else tell me this story, I'd find it absurdly hilarious. Being in the thick of it is just depressing. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    You're gonna come back to this thread in a month and treasure it so much. Hahaha
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm open to that also. It doesn't have to be a 100% pure security role. It just depends on the mindset of the place. This one for example doesn't seem to care about compliance like it should. Not sure why you'd sign a federal contract if so, but that's about par for the course.

Where is this role at?

Minneapolis outskirts.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Ah okay, I am not in a position to relocate at the moment.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ah okay, I am not in a position to relocate at the moment.

I think you should apply to the secure works role. The role I am in now was WAY over my head on paper, yet here I am and I am nothing special. You lose nothing crafting your resume for that position except a little time.
  • Options
    I'm just going to sit here, eat some popcorn and wait for more stories. You'd be crazy not to warn the guy and even let him know what you have been through in 3 months and how crazy the whole situation is. Prepare 3 envelopes for the new guy.
  • Options
    @Chris agree sometimes you have to extend yourself beyond your current capabilities.

@MeanDrunk I agree that guy must be warned. If he chooses to ignore you that's on him but if you explain to him very facts based without emotion on the situation you've done a good thing.......