Options

One Man Show

Comments

• Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    markulous wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience being the one guy for a medium sized business?

My supervisor is quitting and he was also their compliance officer, so that leaves just me to manage all Security and their entire infrastructure until they hire someone else. I'm a bit intimidated so I'm curious if anyone else has gone through this. I will definitely need to hire another guy to do what I do, so I wouldn't be opposed to hiring a fellow TE member.

When you say one man show, how big in the IT department? Can you rely on other IT stuff to help you? I guess it would depend on how long it takes them to hire someone. Once a network is set up and policies are compliant, things could run pretty smoothly with minimal effort. Of course the longer this position is vacant, the greater chance something blowing up that requires immediate attention, which means long sleepless nights. :)
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If everything was all setup and compliant it'd be somewhat easier but it's definitely not. It should be at least 2 admins, a manager, and a help desk guy. Once more end users are hired (which is definitely happening ) we should have more help desk guys.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Look on the internet and find some article regarding th e rstio of users and IT people. Show that to the owner and just really be honest with him and tell him one person can't do everything that needs to be done in IT. Tell him he needs to hire some fresh helpdesk people. Theres plenty here on the boards that are looking for opportunities.
  • Options
    I can try that. They haven't said they don't want to hire anyone though, the biggest problem is that the person they are looking for isn't what they need for their organization.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Explain what the deal is? Maybe you can sneak position yourself in the other role? If you want it?
  • Options
    What do you mean by the other role exactly?
  • Options
    I guess what I'm saying, is that I don't know what your role is, lol. Disregard lol.
  • Options
    I've been applying to Security Analyst positions, but haven't had any luck so far.

I'd be almost tempted to go back to VMware at the end of the year if I can't find anything else. That place had a great environment at least, but definitely a step back in what I want to accomplish (IT Security) so maybe not.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been applying to Security Analyst positions, but haven't had any luck so far.

I'd be almost tempted to go back to VMware at the end of the year if I can't find anything else. That place had a great environment at least, but definitely a step back in what I want to accomplish (IT Security) so maybe not.

No CISSP on the horizon for you?
  • Options
    I will definitely get a CISSP when I meet the requirements. Actually as I'm typing this, I may meet the reqs if they would take previous years experience as a security guard. Between that and my IT career I think I'd have the 4 years (or at least close to it).

Right now I'm doing my Master's. So CEH is what I should have in a few weeks. Then CHFI. Then I think I have like 3 classes after that. So probably after my degree I'll end up getting it assuming the above experience would count.
  • Options
    I will definitely get a CISSP when I meet the requirements. Actually as I'm typing this, I may meet the reqs if they would take previous years experience as a security guard. Between that and my IT career I think I'd have the 4 years (or at least close to it).

Right now I'm doing my Master's. So CEH is what I should have in a few weeks. Then CHFI. Then I think I have like 3 classes after that. So probably after my degree I'll end up getting it assuming the above experience would count.

You should also qualify for the CISA exam as well.

Is Aurora too far from you? Check this out here.
  • Options
    Oh sweet I missed that posting I'll apply tomorrow. Aurora is super close and I totally qualify for that. Thanks!
  • Options
    Oh sweet I missed that posting I'll apply tomorrow. Aurora is super close and I totally qualify for that. Thanks!

FYI: The estimated pay is exactly what I was making last year, FWIW.
  • Options
    Where did you see the estimated pay? I missed that. I was guessing around 70/75.
  • Options
    Well I'm (un) officially done with this place. Now it sounds like the owner doesn't want to hire anyone because "last year we had more employees at this building with only one person". I tried explaining to him that we have more projects going on, a new domain that's federally audited, as well as hosted clients, data center migrations, etc. He just argued and said it's fine.

The conversation started when I told him how their 1980s phone system had a single point of failure (a 15 year old XP PC) and if it went out they'd be down for days and it'd cost them thousands of dollars. He started going off saying that all IT guys want is the "latest tech" and don't care about cost when I suggested we replace the phone system since there's no other way for redundancy on that old of equipment. Then said our investment of getting VOIP at our other sites was a waste as was shutting down our single core single hard drive servers and moving them to a datacenter (where they're on a RAID10).

It's frustrating dealing with someone so stubborn that won't listen to reason even when there are huge risks that impact his business.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Well I'm (un) officially done with this place. Now it sounds like the owner doesn't want to hire anyone because "last year we had more employees at this building with only one person". I tried explaining to him that we have more projects going on, a new domain that's federally audited, as well as hosted clients, data center migrations, etc. He just argued and said it's fine.

The conversation started when I told him how their 1980s phone system had a single point of failure (a 15 year old XP PC) and if it went out they'd be down for days and it'd cost them thousands of dollars. He started going off saying that all IT guys want is the "latest tech" and don't care about cost when I suggested we replace the phone system since there's no other way for redundancy on that old of equipment. Then said our investment of getting VOIP at our other sites was a waste as was shutting down our single core single hard drive servers and moving them to a datacenter (where they're on a RAID10).

It's frustrating dealing with someone so stubborn that won't listen to reason even when there are huge risks that impact his business.
    OMG, that totally sucks, that kind of thinking. ESPECIALLY the phone issue.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Send out them resumes. I heard Colorado is pretty nice for I.T jobs... find a non-poisonous environment.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    Yeah, that kind of thinking is frustrating.

I had an interview Monday and have one today (well kind of an interview) with Teksystems. Hopefully one of the two pan out. Not sure what they'll do with their only IT guy gone, but not really my problem either.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    That is their problem not yours (if you get a new job) and the owner will find out the hard way if everything fails. I am sending cyber luck to you.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck man, you need to get out of that toxic environment. Sorry you are dealing with that BS.

(I'm actively looking as well, but at least my current company isn't like yours.)
  • Options
    Thanks for the wishes/luck. I appreciate it all.
  • Options
    Oh that really sucks. I know what you mean, I run into that kind of thinking all the time. If there is no chance of changing the guy's mind, it might be time to start looking again.
  • Options

Put in your final notice for the first of the month and apply to this.
  • Options
    Remedymp wrote: »
    Put in your final notice for the first of the month and apply to this.

You rock :D

I did apply for that as soon as it was posted (I refresh LinkedIn several times a day here). I applied to them about 8 months ago and they said I was a little too inexperienced, but maybe this time I'll be good.
  • Options
    FWIW, I've been applying at SysAdmin jobs too. If it's a good environment and they are security-oriented I'm open to working somewhere like that.
  • Options
    Sounds like you are going to do great wherever you go as long as the environment is good. I'm starting to get the itch to leave my current job, myself. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    That's the hope.

Starting to get the point where you think you can get a raise somewhere or do you just want something different?
  • Options
    Kind of the same deal as you, except they say that they do want to improve the tech here. They just won't want to pay what it will cost. So in the end, it will be the same result. At least you don't have to go through all of the motions only to end up without an infrastructure upgrade. You're already there. lol

I'm back in WGU now, so we'll see what happens when I finish. They've got me here for at least one term. lol :) I don't want to put too much on my plate.

Good luck, I think you have a good plan of attack.
  • Options
    Yeah sounds like you're in a similar boat. Pinching pennies is one thing, but not wanting to spend a dime and wanting high availability and redundancy is impossible.

Good luck to you too. WGU will definitely help
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would just draft up a proposal, and when the boss says no, just have them sign something saying they're declining despite the risks. Then when it all fails, bust out that paper that says they knew this would happen and pin it on them icon_lol.gif