CCNP 2010 updates

Comments

• burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Panzer919 wrote: »
    I see your point now. I had forgotten about how much SDM was in the ISCW and how I often read through it thinking why teach people this program, when it fails they will be back to using CLI and more than likely be stuck searching for the answers.

You think the SDM is that bad? I haven't gone through the ISCW yet, but I do use the ASDM at work sometimes. Everything I've used it for has worked well enough. I use it to manage my access-lists since it's visually easier. Everything else is CLI. But I've not had a negative experience with the ASDM, just not my preference.
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    Panzer919 wrote: »
    more than likely be stuck searching for the answers.

but that is still one of the greatest skills of any IT professional.
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    When I went through the NETAcad I thought SDM added in a bunch of extra programming that was not needed. I think it should all be CLI but that's also my preference.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    Cyanic wrote: »
    but that is still one of the greatest skills of any IT professional.

Very true but I think it's different when you learn it through CLI then you have to remember it down the road as opposed to learning it through SDM and then having to re-learn most of it when it breaks.

I used to work for an ISP and maybe I've just come in contact with too may people who don't know how to fix it when it breaks and it's made me a little cynical towards it.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Having started on the cisco stuff last summer/autumn I hate the SDM!

First it puts so much stuff in you don't want and makes configs look untidy.
    second it has major problems deealing with configs you have entered at the cli.

and lastly I found by the time you have lern't it and understood a topic, you hit the limits of SDM and have to go to the command line anyway.

the one big thing in its favour is the ability to preview commands. I learnt IOS firewall but running through the wizard in SDM, saving the text of the config, then going through by hand and picking it apart, seeing what it was doing, stripping out the unnessery bits, and typing it back in at the CLI.

I think it should be focused as a training tool as it is good for this.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    minor thread hijack. i've heard ccna:s and iscw have alot of overlap do you guys think that ont from scratch(had a few flicks through the book but nothing in depth) and iscw from ccna:s is doable in 3months? i'll be doing bsci (after doing ccnp1 at uni plus other methods) and we are moving on to the academy ccna:s.

so by march/april time i'll have bsci/bcsmn and ccna:S. do you think it would be too much to do ont and iscw before the cut off (i have the ont and iscw books so would rather do the devil you know)
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Having started on the cisco stuff last summer/autumn I hate the SDM!

First it puts so much stuff in you don't want and makes configs look untidy.
    second it has major problems deealing with configs you have entered at the cli.

and lastly I found by the time you have lern't it and understood a topic, you hit the limits of SDM and have to go to the command line anyway.

the one big thing in its favour is the ability to preview commands. I learnt IOS firewall but running through the wizard in SDM, saving the text of the config, then going through by hand and picking it apart, seeing what it was doing, stripping out the unnessery bits, and typing it back in at the CLI.

I think it should be focused as a training tool as it is good for this.
    I second that, it's a pig to get working and would never configure zone based firewalls correctly on my 2801. It kept on putting the LAN IP addresses on the IP anti spoofing ACL on the "in to out" zone pair, resulting in no outbound access.

The "Cisco Configuration Profressional" would do a much better job and atleast gave a working configuration, but still a bit messy.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Now that the CCNP changes are Official, maybe it's time we move on and obsess about something new..... how about rumors that the Apple iPad or iTablet or iSlate will be announced January 27th? icon_lol.gif

The new exam alignment seems reasonable. I thought removing Troubleshooting (CIT Exam) from the "old old" CCNP was a bad move -- so I'm happy Troubleshooting is back. It's funny watching someone find a configuration on the Internet, try to apply it to their current situation -- and when it doesn't work, remove the changes and then try applying the same thing again thinking it will work this time icon_lol.gif

With the change in technologies, I don't have a problem with the WAN (and LAN) topics being covered as they come up within the context of Routing & Switching.

I still think they should add the QoS exam to the CCNP (and add MPLS topics to the CCNA). :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It seems like they did end up merging the ONT and ISCW into the routing and switching exams.

To me this seems like some ONT stuff.
    Switching Exam:
    Prepare infrastructure to support advanced services
    Implement a Wireless Extension of a Layer 2 solution
    Implement a VoIP support solution
    Implement video support solution

this also seems like ISCW material as well.
    Implement Layer 3 Path Control Solution
    Create a Layer 3 path control implementation plan based upon the results of the redistribution analysis
    Create a Layer 3 path control verification plan
    Configure Layer 3 path control
    Verify that a Layer 3 path control was implemented
    Document results of a Layer 3 path control implementation and verification plan
    Implement basic teleworker and branch services
    Describe broadband technologies
    Configure basic broadband connections
    Describe basic VPN technologies
    Configure GRE
    Describe branch access technologies

What sucks is if you take the BSCI and BCMSN then the troubleshoot , you will have no ISCW or ONT material to cover or better yet ONT or ISCW knowledge. I honestly believe you shouldnt be able to combine an BSCI/BCMSN/TSHOOT. It should only be allowed to mix and match everything else but the TSHOOT can only be taken if you took the ROUTE/Switching exams since it covers ONT and ISCW material.

I am looking forward to purchasing the TSHOOT book even though i have a CCNP. I wont bother with taking the TSHOOT exam , but i would love the material in that book. Something tells me that book will be a legend!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    You think the SDM is that bad? I haven't gone through the ISCW yet, but I do use the ASDM at work sometimes. Everything I've used it for has worked well enough. I use it to manage my access-lists since it's visually easier. Everything else is CLI. But I've not had a negative experience with the ASDM, just not my preference.

I grew up on a commandline. I cut my teeth on CP/M and then MS-DOS. I not only know why DOS 5.0 included the setver.exe, but how to actually use it. When I outgrew DOS, I moved on to HP-UX, AIX, and FreeBSD.

Me and the CLI have a long relationship. So yes, I think SDM is that bad. It's a horrible java piece of crap that Cisco seems to feel needs to be pushed down our throats.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've gone through the books properly now, and it's SDM this, SDM that.

Please.
  • SlickiaSlickia Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone else notice how the new '642-902 Route' exam doesn't have anything on BGP, MPLS or Route-Redistribution?

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccnp/route?tab=studylearn

'642-832 TShoot' on the other hand though, seems to have an interesting curriculum.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6570
    CCNP Lab: 2 x 2950's, 3 x 2960's, 1 x 3550, 2 x 2610, 2 x 1721, 1 x 2900XL
    Slickia wrote: »
    Anyone else notice how the new '642-902 Route' exam doesn't have anything on BGP, MPLS or Route-Redistribution?

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccnp/route?tab=studylearn

you need to look at the exam blueprint.

* Determine network resources needed for implementing eBGP on a network
    * Create an eBGP implementation plan
    * Create an eBGP verification plan
    * Configure eBGP routing
    * Verify eBGP solution was implemented properly using show and debug commands
    * Document results of eBGP implementation and verification plan

* Create a redistribution implementation plan based upon the results of the redistribution analysis
    * Create a redistribution verification plan
    * Configure a redistribution solution
    * Verify that a redistribution was implemented
    * Document results of a redistribution implementation and verification plan
    * Identify the differences between implementing an IPv4 and IPv6 redistribution solution

MPLS is missing, but I'm not really surprised at that, it deserves alot more coverage than the sad showing ISCW had
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Good article from Odom. I was wondering whether the exam prices would increase, and Wendell answered that. Cisco will have it's pound of flesh
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good article from Odom. I was wondering whether the exam prices would increase, and Wendell answered that. Cisco will have it's pound of flesh

Its actually the same price for the certification with the price increase.

4 x $150 = $600
    3 x $200 = $600
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235

4 x $150 = $600
    3 x $200 = $600

Shhhhhh..... they may be watching and hadn't realised the trcik they could be missing !
    Kam.
  • trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    BSCI + BCMSN + TSHOOT and you just saved yourself a hundred bucks :) At least thats the way im going, not because of money but because i have all the materials for BSCI and BCMSN. And TSHOOT seems interesting exam to take + im not sure i can pull off ICSW & ONT before August.
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    I'm tryin to pull a miracle on my end :D I'm shooting for ONT BCMSN and then ISCW by June. I do plan on taking TSHOOT for kicks. Cisco Press has been kind enough to send me a copy to Eval :D
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
    qplayed wrote: »
    I'm tryin to pull a miracle on my end :D I'm shooting for ONT BCMSN and then ISCW by June. I do plan on taking TSHOOT for kicks. Cisco Press has been kind enough to send me a copy to Eval :D

I become a dad in May so I intend to have the router + switch out the way by then, and if possible be well on the way to the TSHOOT.

Is that a bit ambious? I have quite a strong switched background so hopping that will be quick to get. Just want the training materials to become available so I can get a better idea of exactly what I need to cover.

Getting my dam 2509 to work would be nice as well!!

talk about ichy fingers!!
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    trackit wrote: »
    BSCI + BCMSN + TSHOOT and you just saved yourself a hundred bucks :) At least thats the way im going, not because of money but because i have all the materials for BSCI and BCMSN.

I've just checked the Cisco press book release dates for new exams, the Cert Guide in Feb and the Self Study in July. Therefore I'm thinking it makes sense to continue with the old BSCI & BCMSN as long as possible rather than switch to the new exams, as you say study materials are available and all the bugs have been resolved.

So for me I think it will be BSCI follwed by BCMSN (or maybe Switch depending on how long it takes to get BSCI nailed) then finaly Troubleshhot.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • 416_guy416_guy Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cisco didn't mention anything about IOS 15.0, since this is the new CCNP is it safe to assume they are going to use the new commands (if any) for the new CCNP curriculum and exams?
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    416_guy wrote: »
    Cisco didn't mention anything about IOS 15.0, since this is the new CCNP is it safe to assume they are going to use the new commands (if any) for the new CCNP curriculum and exams?

Lets hope not!
  • yuriz43yuriz43 Member Posts: 121
    Is the command syntax really that much different with IOS 15.0? I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
    not at all.

main differeencce is the T train of the IOS is integrated in to the main stream train (Ie only one ios version for each feature set level. Makes it much simpler to chose the licence/ios you need.

Other than that they are almost identical. much like ios 12.3 is much the same as ios 12.4. yes minor differences and some new features, but as with all IOS the comamnds are very simmler between versions

4 x $150 = $600
    3 x $200 = $600

Yeah, I know ;)

What I meant was that I was wondering if they would be increasing the costs of the exams to cover the fact that it's 3 now instead of 4. If they'd left the price the same, the fact that you saved $150 would be another benefit of the new track. Instead, as I said, Cisco gets their pound of flesh :)

Also keep in mind that ROUTE is a component of multiple tracks, so there is an effective price increase because of this changeover.
  • ajay_bohraajay_bohra Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi friends,

I m in a confusion since i got this official mail from Cisco regarding CCNP.

My CCNA is ending in Aug2010. I m preparing for BSCI (901) and BCMSN(812). if i pass these 2 then before 31 July. then i'll have to go for only troubleshoot.

Or i have to complete all 4 ISCW n ONT too before 31 July.

Which way is better. go for all 4 or just go for BSCI N BCMSN n then TSHOOT.

I apologise if this query is already answered. Please help me

Thanks in advance to all and Best Luck to all those r about to go for exams :)
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you pass BSCI and BCMSN **before** July 31st then you only need to do TSHOOT after July 31. If you do not pass **both** BCMSN and BSCI before July 31, then you will have to take :-

CCNP ROUTE
    CCNP SWITCH
    CCNP TSHOOT.

Clear?icon_wink.gif
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cisco and odom himself recommend anyone thinking of taking the TSHOOT to first pass ROUTE AND SWITCH, not BSCI and BCMSN. i wouldnt recommend anyone trying to slip by , by taking bcmsn/bsci/tshoot.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    gorebrush wrote: »
    If you pass BSCI and BCMSN **before** July 31st then you only need to do TSHOOT after July 31. If you do not pass **both** BCMSN and BSCI before July 31, then you will have to take :-

CCNP ROUTE
    CCNP SWITCH
    CCNP TSHOOT.

Clear?icon_wink.gif

I don't think that's entirely correct. It looks like BSCI/ROUTE and BCMSN/SWITCH are an OR situation. So if you passed BSCI before 7/31 and nothing else, you could take SWITCH and TSHOOT and complete CCNP, and likewise with passing only BCMSN before the deadline, you should then just have to take ROUTE and TSHOOT