CCNP 2010 updates

Comments

• Aragon1Aragon1 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't think that's entirely correct. It looks like BSCI/ROUTE and BCMSN/SWITCH are an OR situation. So if you passed BSCI before 7/31 and nothing else, you could take SWITCH and TSHOOT and complete CCNP, and likewise with passing only BCMSN before the deadline, you should then just have to take ROUTE and TSHOOT

So we can write either complete BCMSN or BSCI first, then still write the other two exams (Route/Switch and Tshoot) after July 2010??
  • trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    chrisone wrote: »
    cisco and odom himself recommend anyone thinking of taking the TSHOOT to first pass ROUTE AND SWITCH, not BSCI and BCMSN. i wouldnt recommend anyone trying to slip by , by taking bcmsn/bsci/tshoot.

really? can you post a link or something? As far as i understand they dont recommend going for TSHOOT before routing and switching exams (and this makes perfect sense), but i didnt get an impression that its strongly recommended to take ROUTE/SWITCH and not BSCI/BCMSN
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Aragon1 wrote: »
    So we can write either complete BCMSN or BSCI first, then still write the other two exams (Route/Switch and Tshoot) after July 2010??
    You can always "start over" and do all three new exams -- but if you don't complete BOTH ISCW and ONT exams by July 31st 2010, then you need the TSHOOT to earn the CCNP, along with the BSCI/ROUTE and BCMSN/SWITCH.

The old BSCI exam will work in place of the NEW ROUTE exam.

The old BCMSN exam will work in place of the NEW SWITCH exam.

If you take the TSHOOT exam to complete the CCNP requirement, you're responsible for knowing the topics from the ROUTE and SWITCH exams, even if you are using the "old" BSCI and BCMSN exams as your "other two exams."
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Aragon1 wrote: »

That's the way it reads to me. If you look at the CCNP certification section at cisco.com/go/certification and check the path 3 option. Both the BSCI/ROUTE and BCMSN/SWITCH sections are an OR combination. So the last day to test will be July 31st, sure, but if you've previously passed BSCI and/or BCMSN, you should be able to apply those results towards CCNP certification for 3 years.

But as Mike said, that may not be such a great idea. Sure, it sounds like a way to possibly game the system, but there will be important knowledge you're lacking.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To me is sound very much about how well you know your BSCI and BCMSN.

At the end of the day the blueprint lay out what you need to know about trouble shooting, and OK SWITCH And ROUTER courses are geared to set you up with a good background in these areas.

You just have to accept that if you want to go the BSCI and BCMSN + TSHOOT route you are going to have to fill in some blanks with some self study of areas you are missing.

I dont see the CCNP as 3 seperate topic areas, The idea with all CISCO certifications seems to be you need a good fundementaly knowlage of all areas, and the ability to link them togather.

I think if you like directed learning (classroom or study guides) then it would be best to stick to either the 4 exam track. IF you a person who just likes learning about networking, and how it works in the real world and are happy to branch of to incluse new ideas. Then I think there is no problem mixing and matching the two tracks. Like mike said you are expected to know SWITCH/ROUTER.

The TSHOOT exam I think will really test your understanding of networking, so my prefrence would be to go for it as think I would find it much more satisfing to achive.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • ajay_bohraajay_bohra Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback and guidance in taking which exam and for the combination.

its true that to pass TSHOOT we'll have to go thru ROUTE n SWITCH. but for a person like me who got only 6 months to keep his CCNA, to go for BSCI or BCMSN is good choice.

and for all those who want to test and get the combination here's the ink where we can get the right combination. Thanks again to all.

CCNP Exam Combination Tool - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems
  • gbadmangbadman Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ajay_bohra wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback and guidance in taking which exam and for the combination.

its true that to pass TSHOOT we'll have to go thru ROUTE n SWITCH. but for a person like me who got only 6 months to keep his CCNA, to go for BSCI or BCMSN is good choice.

CCNA recertification shouldn't be a factor in your decision on what path to take. I believe any pro level exam, old or new, will recertify you for CCNA. That gives you six months to pass your first CCNP exam, whichever you choose.
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties

-[/FONT][FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Harry Truman[/FONT]
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    ajay_bohra wrote: »
    Hi all,

and for all those who want to test and get the combination here's the ink where we can get the right combination. Thanks again to all.

CCNP Exam Combination Tool - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

Well, pretty much any exam you pass will recertify your CCNA (even an Associate level one), so all you need to do is pass one exam in the next six months and your CCNA is still good.

If you can't finish the current CCNP track before July 31st, I'd recommend beginning to study for BSCI or BCMSN, as there will be alot of parallel between the old and new exams, and then once the new exam and it's study material becomes available, study for the new exam and take it. That way all you'll need to learn is the stuff that's been added.
  • trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    To me is sound very much about how well you know your BSCI and BCMSN.

At the end of the day the blueprint lay out what you need to know about trouble shooting, and OK SWITCH And ROUTER courses are geared to set you up with a good background in these areas.

You just have to accept that if you want to go the BSCI and BCMSN + TSHOOT route you are going to have to fill in some blanks with some self study of areas you are missing.

I dont see the CCNP as 3 seperate topic areas, The idea with all CISCO certifications seems to be you need a good fundementaly knowlage of all areas, and the ability to link them togather.

I think if you like directed learning (classroom or study guides) then it would be best to stick to either the 4 exam track. IF you a person who just likes learning about networking, and how it works in the real world and are happy to branch of to incluse new ideas. Then I think there is no problem mixing and matching the two tracks. Like mike said you are expected to know SWITCH/ROUTER.

The TSHOOT exam I think will really test your understanding of networking, so my prefrence would be to go for it as think I would find it much more satisfing to achive.

yeah, sure you may need to fill in some gaps if you are going to go with BSCI, BCMSN + TSHOOT, but i dont think it will be that drastic. After all TSHOOT will have its own self study guides and other study materials whitch will make clear what and how cisco wants you to be able to troubleshoot.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I don't think that's entirely correct. It looks like BSCI/ROUTE and BCMSN/SWITCH are an OR situation. So if you passed BSCI before 7/31 and nothing else, you could take SWITCH and TSHOOT and complete CCNP, and likewise with passing only BCMSN before the deadline, you should then just have to take ROUTE and TSHOOT

I think you're right.

However, I certainly wouldn't **** the ISCW/ONT to go TSHOOT route whatever happens...
  • Dan.Dan. Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Being the cheap b****** that i am i propose the following:

Take the old BSCI and BCMSN exams at the current pricing (£90 + Vat)
    Take the TShoot Beta exam for a much reduced price of $50 (not sure what the price will be in the UK though?)

This approach will require a heavy workload as you will need to nail the BSCI and the BCMSN exams. Understand the expanded scope/blueprint of the ROUTE SWITCH exams + the TSHOOT topics. All in order to do the TSHOOT Beta exam which is only available in the February 16-March 26, 2010 window.

CCNP for cheapish but you will need to know your stuff!

Any Takers?
    Well certainly an option... though I've booked and paid for the ISCW now...
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Dan. wrote: »
    Being the cheap b****** that i am i propose the following:

Take the old BSCI and BCMSN exams at the current pricing (£90 + Vat)
    Take the TShoot Beta exam for a much reduced price of $50 (not sure what the price will be in the UK though?)

This approach will require a heavy workload as you will need to nail the BSCI and the BCMSN exams. Understand the expanded scope/blueprint of the ROUTE SWITCH exams + the TSHOOT topics. All in order to do the TSHOOT Beta exam which is only available in the February 16-March 26, 2010 window.

CCNP for cheapish but you will need to know your stuff!

Any Takers?
    A cheap b******, I recognise that trait, you must be from Wales like me:)

I'm itching to get going on the CCNP path but annoyingly it looks like the Cisco Press books will be released in the UK upto about a month later than the US according to Amazon. I bit dissappointing. So I guess BCMSN is the way to go. If it works out a bit cheaper then thats fantastic.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
    Well can't be a totally welsh trait ;)
    It's not being cheap as such but rather utalizing limited resources (Time & money) in the most efficient way possible. At least that's how i justify it icon_thumright.gif
    Looking at it again there seems to be a even more resource/cost efficient option. That is to do the Composite exam (£148 + Vat) and the TSHOOT Beta for $50 or free if you can sign up quick enough.

However as suggested above this may result in brain overload due to the limited time frame.

hmmm...... would be a challenge and quite something if you could pull it off.
  • EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    I may have missed this some where in the thread but does anyone know what version of the IOS the new CCNP covers I know the current one is 12.4 will it stay the same or move up as well ?
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    CCNP Mix/Match Old and New Exams

http://www.globalknowledge.de/pdf/New-CCN.pdf
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
    qplayed wrote: »

Nice find there... cheers
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • itdongnaiitdongnai Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just a heads up, looks like the switch and route exam guide books are hitting in the UK. I pre ordered mine yesterday from computermanuals.co.uk, they turned up today:D

how much did that cost?

I ordered mine direct from Cisco press and got it last week.

think I paid £37 for it and free posting?
    how much did that cost?

I ordered mine direct from Cisco press and got it last week.

think I paid £37 for it and free posting?
    Approx £55 all in for the two (rute and switch)

yer so is quite a bit cheaper. thank god work pays for my books (one per exam)
    Does any one knwo when it will be possible to book the SWITCH and ROUTE exams? it says they are avalible from the 10th march, but I dont see them on Pearson VUE, and they said they know nothing about them?
  • baracusbaracus Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does any one knwo when it will be possible to book the SWITCH and ROUTE exams? it says they are avalible from the 10th march, but I dont see them on Pearson VUE, and they said they know nothing about them?

Looks like the ROUTE exam is available today. Now just need to decide which to take to finish the track, the BSCI or ROUTE...any thoughts?
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    baracus wrote: »
    Looks like the ROUTE exam is available today. Now just need to decide which to take to finish the track, the BSCI or ROUTE...any thoughts?

I'd say BSCI. There seems to be more material for the exam out right now.
    baracus wrote: »

Cheers :) I saw at about 2am this morning the SWITCH had appered.

Seeing as I am starting out on the CCNP I going to go for,

SWITCH , ROUTE , TSHOOT
  • eteneten Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    qplayed wrote: »

Is that pdf inaccurate? It lists that we need to take the new curriculum after 26/04/10, yet old exams are available till 31/07/10.
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    eten wrote: »
    Is that pdf inaccurate? It lists that we need to take the new curriculum after 26/04/10, yet old exams are available till 31/07/10.

It means that you should start studying for the new material. That's mostly towards individuals who are just starting their studies for NP.
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator