Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    Madmd5Madmd5 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    oh ok I got it now, I needed bit of clarification. so after all those exams you will have the MCTS: Window 7, Config. and the MCSA: Windows Server 2008
  • Options
    -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    What are the courses like at WGU? I mean what exactly do you do to prepare for a course? And what do you do finish or "pass" it?Im just wandering how the course system works. In my head im thinking of a bunch of materials consisting of powerpoints, and a bunch of assignments or quizes after you learn about a certain topic? Am I right? Can you please explain the whole methodology from A to Z?Thanks in advance!
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    -hype wrote: »
    What are the courses like at WGU? I mean what exactly do you do to prepare for a course? And what do you do finish or "pass" it?Im just wandering how the course system works. In my head im thinking of a bunch of materials consisting of powerpoints, and a bunch of assignments or quizes after you learn about a certain topic? Am I right? Can you please explain the whole methodology from A to Z?Thanks in advance!

Student Experience at Western Governors University Online icon_thumright.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Usually you're given one or more books to read, a series of videos or Powerpoint presentations, or links to other learning materials such as online skill or test modules. The course of study will act as your guide on what to study (For example, it might say "Read chapter 1 of XX and then take the following practice exam. Read chapter 2 of XX and watch this video on <insert topic here>). As you work through the COS you can check off little boxes indicating your progress (this isn't required but works mostly to record how far along you are). You'll often be given a task at the end of each page of the COS that corresponds to a performance assessment in TaskStream.

When it comes time to finish the course or do an assignment, you'll have one of two types of assessment to complete. I detailed these in a previous post not long ago. You may have to complete one or more performance assessments but for the objective assessments AFAIK there's only one assessment per course.
  • Options

Yeah thanks. That helps me alot!
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How far into math does the BS:it roll into? I hate math with a passion(even tho I did calculus in high school)
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    snunez889 wrote: »
    How far into math does the BS:it roll into? I hate math with a passion(even tho I did calculus in high school)
    Finite Math was the toughest math course. Relatively speaking of course.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    @snunez889snunez889

If you did calculus in High school, you'll have no problem with any of the math in the IT programs.
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Just saw on the WGU Facebook page that they've added Lynda.com to the library resources for students. My question is there any alumni that have been graduated for while now and if they can access it? I'm technically still in my 6 months of paid time, but I have no AVV set, can't view any of my past classes. But, I can still login through the student portal. I don't know if that access will go away once my "time" is up? I'm not sure how the alumni access quite works is why I'm asking.

Thanks,
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm all over Lynda this is great. Thanks for the call out kgb +1 rep
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    I havent even completed finicial aid yet and I have access go to resources then click the libary icon on the right.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    Karl, I'm past my first/only term and I have access. No idea if that will be rescinded at some point, though.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    I know the books 24x7 access and your email address stay active "for ever" (subject to change), so I wouldn't be surprised if this stays around as an alumni benefit.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @kgb - thanks for that info about Lynda.com - I was actually thinking about subscribing to the site when I found your post.

For those WGU students doing CJV1 and CVV1 (the CIW and MTA database courses), check out Simon Allardice's "Foundations of Programming: Databases" videos on Lynda.com - he explains the concepts clearly and his voice certainly won't put you to sleep. You could follow up with Bill Weinman's "SQL Essential Training" and then Simon's "SQL Server 2008 Essential Training" - all on the same site.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I like Simon's voice a lot. What makes it even better is he has one of those voices that you can speed up and not be irritated with or not be able to understand it. I've got to the point that I can't stand watching learning videos at 1x speed. With the Lynda advanced player you can speed it up to 2x.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure if there's any Ch30 MGIB grads on here but if so, did your benefits stop when you graduated or did you still receive payments for the rest of the 6 month semester?
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    Madmd5Madmd5 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    in your guy's opinion, does B.S. Network Administration qualify you enough to become a good network administrator? I know it that program offers 14 certs and some of them are obviously very good certs (MCSA, Sec+, A+, CCNA) I guess my real question is long-term I want to end up in a career in network security possibly either intrusion detection or analysis, would you guys recommend getting any certs while enrolled at WGU? or just wait until receive the degree and then get certs
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think knowledge wise, you will be ready. Most companies want someone with experience to work on their systems. You may have to work desktop support / help desk for a bit and then move up.

Are you currently enrolled at WGU? If so, I'd focus on the coursework. WGU isn't easy and taking on additional certs outside of WGU would be challenging.
  • Options
    RoflawfulRoflawful Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all - I have a question about transferring in with an AAS as opposed to an AS.

I'll have my AAS this May, and will likely be transferring into WGU shortly after. All of the transfer information on the website seems to lean toward an AS clearing all of the lower level gen ed, while an AAS will only clear some of it.

Can anybody share their experience transferring in with an AAS? I was hoping to come in with ~60+ credits, but the website is unclear as to what the AAS will not clear...
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What your AAS transfers in will probably vary from school to school.

I transferred in my AAS. It cleared most of my lower level courses. I ended up having to do a few courses, but they were easy. With my certs and degree, I transferred in over 60 CUs.
  • Options
    Give an enrollment counselor a call and start a CU transfer evaluation
  • Options
    Lara986Lara986 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

So I hope someone can answer this question about transfer credits. I was looking at the transfer requirements for WGU, and they say one class in finite math but I have taken Pre-Calc 1 &2 not Business PreCalc which is what Finite math is called in my college. Since I went the computer science route and not the business route why would I need to take finite math? I already talked to the enrollment counselor and they said WGU will look for that word in your previous classes. This seems unfair and definitely will question whether I should go to WGU. Finite math while not more difficult is different than the math I have taken so I couldn't even test out of it.

Has anyone else run into this problem?
  • Options
    MataviMatavi Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Lara986:

I also took pre-calc 1 & 2, however they did not meet my Finite Mathematics requirements during transfer. Pre-calc 2 did however meet my Quantitative Literacy: Quantitative Problem Solving and Applications - QLT1 requirement.

If you are transferring in an associates however, it should satisfy the requirement for Finite Mathematics, even if there's not a specific class designation. I had issues getting proof that I was being awarded an associates, but as soon as I did, they re-evaluated my transfer and gave me credit for the class where previously they hadn't.
    WGU IT - Software
    Start date: 1/1/13
  • Options
    Lara986Lara986 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your response! So good to hear they transferred it in with an Associates. I was freaking out and getting upset that I might have to take another math class :)
  • Options
    If you took all that math you should be able to knock it out quick, worst comes to worst you simply take it during the first week and move on :)
  • Options
    dcren21dcren21 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kgb wrote: »
    Just saw on the WGU Facebook page that they've added Lynda.com to the library resources for students. My question is there any alumni that have been graduated for while now and if they can access it? I'm technically still in my 6 months of paid time, but I have no AVV set, can't view any of my past classes. But, I can still login through the student portal. I don't know if that access will go away once my "time" is up? I'm not sure how the alumni access quite works is why I'm asking.

Thanks,

kgb,

Thanks for this. +1 rep to you. This is great.
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (Start Date 8/1/12) : Transferred | Required | In Progress | Completed
    AGC1 BBC1 LAE1 LUT1 QBT1 INT1 BVC1 RIT1 INC1 CUV1 BOV1 GAC1 HHT1 DHV1 CSV1 QLT1 IWC1 IWT1 DJV1 KET1 TPV1 CVV1 CJV1 KFT1 SBT1 RGT1 CTV1 CNV1 CQV1 COV1 AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1 MGC1 BNC1
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Capstone is in the books.

I have finished. My term actually ends on March 31st so it took me 4 1/2 months to complete 39 CUs.
    Not too shabby. :)
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    Nice job! I did 43 in 5 months myself.

What's next for you?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Reseven gratz!