Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's a (non-exhaustive) list on WGU's website of schools that have accepted WGU degrees as pre-requisite for a masters.

Additionally, rather than take your chances and wonder whether a school is going to accept your degree from WGU, why not call them and ask?
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    I am not sure which one I would like to go to. Just wanted to see if state colleges accept WGU graduates.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How does the registration for classes work at WGU?
    Do I have to register for all the classes at the beginning of the term? or can I add more as I go along.

Also how do the Certifications work with WGU? Are there classes that require you to take regular Cert exams?
    Thanks
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    At the beginning of the term you have to commit to 12 CU's worth of classes. When you finish those or almost finished you [depending on your mentor & how much time left in your term . . .] can "accelerator" your term by adding more.

For the classes that are tied to a certification when you pass the exam then you pass the class. Depending on what degree program you choose will depend on what certifications you will have to attain.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you have to take the courses exactly in the order that they show in the PDF? I can see college algebra being my weak point and not sure how I feel about it being in the 1st term, with zero experience with WGU's online setup. I'd like to get into a groove first.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    More or less you start with the entry level courses but I've taken 90% of my courses out of "track"
  • Options
    You can take most classes in any order. So you could leave algebra to when ever you want.
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    But keep in mind the order of the classes isn't random, some do build on previous ones.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    olaHalo wrote: »
    How does the registration for classes work at WGU?
    Do I have to register for all the classes at the beginning of the term? or can I add more as I go along.

Also how do the Certifications work with WGU? Are there classes that require you to take regular Cert exams?
    Thanks
    Thanks this really cleared things up
  • Options
    Anyone transfer all 3 A+, N+, & Sec+? If so can you tell me how much credit you received from those alone? Thanks!
  • Options
    You should specify which program you are looking for as maybe the network+ awards credit for the CCENT? For the ND&M A+ and a computer class from my local cc rewarded me IT fundamentals II and III. network+ & security+ only awarded credit for each matching class that corresponded with the appropriate comptia exam. Same for project+. This was back in June of 2011.
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    I was given these(see below) for the program(just look at my sig) I'm in. Iv even given you the class codes so you can compare and contrast

[N+]
    CRV1 Networks 4
    [S+]
    CTV1 Security 4
    [A+]
    AXV1 IT Fundamentals II 4
    CPV1 IT Fundamentals III 4

===
    Total from Comptia Trio 16 CUs
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was given these(see below) for the program(just look at my sig) I'm in. Iv even given you the class codes so you can compare and contrast

[N+]
    CRV1 Networks 4
    [S+]
    CTV1 Security 4
    [A+]
    AXV1 IT Fundamentals II 4
    CPV1 IT Fundamentals III 4

===
    Total from Comptia Trio 8 CUs

From the way you listed it each class appears to give 4 CU's.

Totaling to 16 as opposed to 8. Correct me if i'm wrong
  • Options
    lol Your right, >_>; Good grief that makes me wonder how I passed Algebra
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    I'm a bit confused about something. I don't understand how some are finishing in 1 term (as I've read in other threads), etc.

Say i started here and I have no prior credits, how do I "go faster"? Are there tests I can take that satisfy the requirements for complete courses? ...pass the knowledge test, pass the course and move on to the next now?
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused about something. I don't understand how some are finishing in 1 term (as I've read in other threads), etc.

Say i started here and I have no prior credits, how do I "go faster"? Are there tests I can take that satisfy the requirements for complete courses? ...pass the knowledge test, pass the course and move on to the next now?

you can take some straitliner tests to satisfy some of the core classes
    you can get the certs before hand to satisfy those classes

but i think you a tad confused about how the classes work ... basically the entire class is the final exam so if you know the stuff just take the exam and move on to the next one ... some classes have papers/projects but i dont recall one class having more than 4 of them do those move on

no homework, no midterms ... most of the classes are one test and done
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you can take some straitliner tests to satisfy some of the core classes
    you can get the certs before hand to satisfy those classes

but i think you a tad confused about how the classes work ... basically the entire class is the final exam so if you know the stuff just take the exam and move on to the next one ... some classes have papers/projects but i dont recall one class having more than 4 of them do those move on

no homework, no midterms ... most of the classes are one test and done

Also while you can only submit work for one class, but nothing is to stop you from getting ready for the next class while you wait for papers to be graded or for your test date. You can stack your classes that way.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sambuca69 wrote: »

Courses take one of two forms for how they are passed:

Objective assessment: Basically a multiple choice test proctored online with a webcam or taken at a testing center. For classes with Objective assessments, passing the course requires passing the test. An example of this would be the Networking class. To pass the class, you have to pass the Network+ exam.

Performance assessment: This involves writing one or more papers, giving a presentation, developing a program, etc. Basically it consists of stuff you hand in, not tests.

The idea behind WGU's competency based program is that if you know something, you know it and are free to finish the course as soon as you're ready. Someone who knows all about networking probably doesn't need to study much for the Network+. If their mentor approves, they can go and take the Network+ exam and get credit for the course without ever opening a textbook or watching a video. Someone who is new to networking would have to study the learning materials provided, but they'll still go take the same test.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Any BS:IT Network Design & Mgmt grads enter into the InfoSec Masters program? Just curious if the BS:IT met the admissions requirements. It looks like they have additional cert requirements (CCNA, CISSP, etc.)
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    Jman01Jman01 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this.I've spent the last 6 years doing Help Desk and field level PC support for the United States Air Force. I' just graduated with a Master's in IT Management and Information Security, also received my Security + certification last year. I got into the Master's program based on experience and having a bachelors, but my BS was not in a computer related field. I just moved to Sweden. I have my most of my interest in server management and security, my Master's was not a highly technical program but more for management and theory. Looking at jobs in Sweden it feels like my educational experience won't amount to much since I am not a senior programmer and can't speak Swedish fluently (yet). However, I have a great situation to redefine my skill sets or pursue other education because my girlfriends retired income is more than enough to support us. But I still have to pack in my career and start over (No, I can't join the Swedish military). I don't know my next course of action besides working on my Swedish.What has interested me the most is ethical hacking and penetration testing. One of the things I was looking at is Western Governors programs, it may sound strange for a guy with a MSITM to look at getting another BS. I have no programming experience and their undergrad IT program has a lot of certs that seem to give a well rounded introduction to multiple programming languages. Most of the advertised jobs I see in Sweden, are companies like Spotify just screaming for more programmers. I still have two years worth of educational benefits I can still use from the U.S. Veterans Association.Just looking for some feedback if this is a wise route or not, thank you !
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    @Nobylspoon I did not do the NDM, I did network admin. I think one of the main missing components in the NDM is the Cisco certification, not to say that they would accept you without it, but it was one of the pre-reqs if I recall correctly. I think if you snag a CCENT or CCNA before starting on the MS:ISA degree you'll be good to go.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Mjstokes90Mjstokes90 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How long does it usually take to get your score from the entrance exam? Took it a couple of days ago, and still nothing.....
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    Mjstokes90 wrote: »
    How long does it usually take to get your score from the entrance exam? Took it a couple of days ago, and still nothing.....

No little green checks on the items? I actually was pushing my enrollment guy pretty hard so I talked to him and he told me I passed them all before they showed up on the website. That said, the green checks were there in a couple of hours, not days. Call your EC and pester him/her.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    Does WGU require you to make post everyday for group participation?
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    When I took mine I got it instantly. Keep in mind though that students who's terms are ending getting prioity with the test reviews. Your admissions councilour can pester them to speed things up if you ask real nicely though.
    I have yet to be forced to make a post with the exception of the intro thread on the forums, so I'd wager the answer is no to that.
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Bundiman wrote: »

I was only required to do this for one course. It involved having to make a post in that class's forum. Outside of that, no. From my experience anyways.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I believe I was told for two classes so far, but I never posted anyways.
  • Options
    Madmd5Madmd5 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have question..i'm planning on enrolling at WGU in the fall of this year pursuing B.S. IT- Network Administration. It says on the courses of study for the N.A. program one of the 14 certs you will recieve will be MCSA assuming its MCSA in Windows 7? but when i go on Microsoft's website it requires 2 exams to have the MCSA ( 680, 685) but MCTS: E.D.S.T. isn't one of the certs we get while at WGU..can someone help clear this up for me? am I missing something
  • Options
    Madmd5 if you click on the program guild PDF link on WGU's website. On page 18 it specifies the Microsoft exams to take for the server course would be the 70-640, 70-642 and 70-646. You will also be required to take the 70-680 Windows 7 client exam.