• Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's certainly not on this list:
    https://kb.wgu.edu/utility/getfile.aspx?rid=1021
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Question for those of you who have completed the Technical Writing paper. How many pages did you end up with? I just completed my draft and I am over 40 pages, with the documentation and floor plans. Is this normal? I'd rather go too much information than not enough.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My Capstone was about 35 pages, as long as you hit the requirements of the content it does not matter so much how long it is.
  • Options
    adamroyaadamroya Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    netsysllc wrote: »
    My Capstone was about 35 pages, as long as you hit the requirements of the content it does not matter so much how long it is.

interesting..
  • Options
    monkeyman1monkeyman1 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you. However, I am hving a hard time figuring out how to send a private message
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    They give you guidelines in the format/outline doc. However as long as you hit each objective, you should be fine.

I remember Swild's Capstone was pretty brief. But it's really whatever accomplishes the goal of your paper and outlines all of the wickets of your project.

My Capstone was 30+ pages and my tech writing was almost 30, but I went pretty in detail. But if I had to do it again, I'd do just enough to pass, which is not a great attitude but in line with the competency based approach.
  • Options
    geekoncallgeekoncall Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi all, I am new member here, just found this forum by Google. I have applied for WGU Bachelor of Business Administration. I did have 90 credits in transfer (Submitted NACES Evaluation) to WGU. I got my credit evaluation from WGU today, does some one knows what is difference between "Transferred Credit and Requirement Satisfied" ?. I am little confuse on calculating the credit that they awarded me. I am attaching the Evaluation from WGU, if some one can take a quick look into this and interpret for me , how many credit they have awarded me and how much I am far from 120 Degree credits? I tried to reach my adviser but didn't hear back from her. Any Help would be highly appreciated.
    WGU BSB-IT Progress: Date Started: 2013/03/01
    Working ON: Completed Bachelor :). Thinking for MBA
    Project+, CIW Web Associate, MTA Network Associate
    Transferred/Completed: AGC1, BBC1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, INC1, BVC1, LIT1, EST1, FNT1, MKC1, MKT1, MGC1, QAT1, EGT1,LAE1, LUT1, BNC1, LWC1, INT1, QBT1, EGC1, FNC1, CLC1, IWC1, RWT1, BDC1, IWT1, TPV1, CWV1, WFV1, QFT1, PFIT
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Any classes marked transferred or requirement satisfied will be waived (you will get credit for them and won't have to take them).
  • Options
    Any classes marked transferred or requirement satisfied will be waived (you will get credit for them and won't have to take them).

Thanks so much for your replying. Would please just take a look into attachment and see how many credits I got? sorry, I am still confuse. I can now count after you explained me ( thanks so much), just want an expert review.

Thanks a Million.
    Transferred/Completed: AGC1, BBC1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, INC1, BVC1, LIT1, EST1, FNT1, MKC1, MKT1, MGC1, QAT1, EGT1,LAE1, LUT1, BNC1, LWC1, INT1, QBT1, EGC1, FNC1, CLC1, IWC1, RWT1, BDC1, IWT1, TPV1, CWV1, WFV1, QFT1, PFIT
  • Options
    Sorry, there are two problems preventing me from doing that for you:

1.) I don't have the time to do that right now
    2.) The attached picture is very small (the forum does that to pictures)

More importantly: you're entering a self-study program! You're going to have to do some research of your own while in the program. I recommend you start by working through this simple problem yourself. Best of luck.
  • Options
    Thanks so much, I got your point. It's just their evaluation was confusing and googling was giving back to this forum. Thanks again, you earlier response almost finished that confusion. I can see that I got 58 transfer out of 90 that were evaluated by NACES. Ummm, bit disappointed on amount of transfer that I got. I also applied another place "Patten University" where I got 84 in transfer. Well, just though to share with you.

Just a quick question when you get time, your reply would be highly appreciated. From your personal experience, would you please tell me How fast is to schedule "Proctored Finals"?

Thanks for your help.
    Sorry, there are two problems preventing me from doing that for you:

1.) I don't have the time to do that right now
    2.) The attached picture is very small (the forum does that to pictures)

More importantly: you're entering a self-study program! You're going to have to do some research of your own while in the program. I recommend you start by working through this simple problem yourself. Best of luck.
  • Options
    Unless WGU has changed their policy, you have to schedule out the courses that have proctored finals 5 days in advance. You basically pick 3 times on 3 different days that work for you. WGU will reply back with your scheduled time. It is very important you set up the webcam do all the biometrics before the exam. It can take some time and there are glitches when taking pics, typing, etc.

Requirement satisfied is basically where you get the course credited based on another course that is similar. For example, I got credit for the geography course due to Psychology course I took at another school. 58 credits is pretty good, btw.

Transfered refers to a course that's the same. Example: I had already taken the 680 exam and that cleared the course for me at WGU.
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Psoasman -

I noticed that in your sig it says your working on KET1. If your sig is acurate and if you've started task 1, what are you using for study material?

I took a quick look at Task 1 and was able to do it in an evening with one major problem... I'm not using an array. It didn't seem necessary for such a simple program. I didn't realize that the array was part of the rubric. I'm having problems shoe-horning an array into this thing. I'm noticing that a lot of the info that's needed for the task is not included in the Wiley stuff.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    Thanks so much Sir, highly appreciated. I am just thrilled how helpful members are here, guess my journey to WGU going to be great :). "courses that have proctored finals", are there courses that are non-proctored??.

Thanks again Sir.

Psoasman wrote: »
    Unless WGU has changed their policy, you have to schedule out the courses that have proctored finals 5 days in advance. You basically pick 3 times on 3 different days that work for you. WGU will reply back with your scheduled time. It is very important you set up the webcam do all the biometrics before the exam. It can take some time and there are glitches when taking pics, typing, etc.

Requirement satisfied is basically where you get the course credited based on another course that is similar. For example, I got credit for the geography course due to Psychology course I took at another school. 58 credits is pretty good, btw.

Transfered refers to a course that's the same. Example: I had already taken the 680 exam and that cleared the course for me at WGU.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Anything that is Assessment based are not proctored, eg anything in taskSCREAM
  • Options
    Thanks so much, appreciated.

nosoup4u wrote: »
    Anything that is Assessment based are not proctored, eg anything in taskSCREAM
  • Options
    Reseven wrote: »
    Psoasman -

I noticed that in your sig it says your working on KET1. If your sig is acurate and if you've started task 1, what are you using for study material?

I took a quick look at Task 1 and was able to do it in an evening with one major problem... I'm not using an array. It didn't seem necessary for such a simple program. I didn't realize that the array was part of the rubric. I'm having problems shoe-horning an array into this thing. I'm noticing that a lot of the info that's needed for the task is not included in the Wiley stuff.

One evening? Wow... I started with the Wiley book, but was more confused after 2 chapters, than when I began. Instead, I watched and followed along with the New Boston beginner videos. That helped a lot. I also, on the advice of swild, bought the Deitel book, Java for Programmers. It is much better than the Horstmann book. It has a nice case study that I was actually able to make it work and plenty of downloadable code.

I am not officially set in KET1. I got done with my required stuff at the end of October and didn't want to risk adding the KET1 and not being able to finish it before my end of term - November 30. I have zero experience in Java and it's not coming naturally to me, like the other courses. I've been puttering around with it and its starting to make sense now.

I have been working on my tech paper. It's done, just waiting to start the next term, on Monday.
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    One evening? Wow... I started with the Wiley book, but was more confused after 2 chapters, than when I began. Instead, I watched and followed along with the New Boston beginner videos. That helped a lot. I also, on the advice of swild, bought the Deitel book, Java for Programmers. It is much better than the Horstmann book. It has a nice case study that I was actually able to make it work and plenty of downloadable code.

I am not officially set in KET1. I got done with my required stuff at the end of October and didn't want to risk adding the KET1 and not being able to finish it before my end of term - November 30. I have zero experience in Java and it's not coming naturally to me, like the other courses. I've been puttering around with it and its starting to make sense now.

I have been working on my tech paper. It's done, just waiting to start the next term, on Monday.

Well, I did run through the first 30-40 thenewboston tutorials before I looked at task 1. I also made it to chapter 3 of the Wiley book (this was basically my Thanksgiving weekend) and it felt like something wasn't right. Couldn't put my finger on it so I had a quick look at task 1 and didn't think it sounded that hard. I didn't look at the rubric and kinda thought that using an array was more of a suggestion than a requirement. I was wrong. I was kinda anxious to get my ideas into Netbeans to see if they worked. GUI looks good, output (math) is good. The program catches illegal input, checks for positive values...etc, but no array. I did have some troubles with arrays in VB class but still managed an A in it. Java seems to be less user friendly than VB.

I always thought programming was about creative ways to solve problems. The instructions for Task 1 eliminate all creativity. My VB instructor told my class that he didn't care how you did it, just that it worked properly. I liked that. This, not so much! I've never thought of myself as much of a programmer at all. I'm allergic to math.

Saw that post from swild and I got the Deitel book from the library. Glanced through it a bit. It's big. Guess I'll have to start digging into it.

Hope your paper is good to go. I've just had my IWT1 task 2 sent back to me. They don't like creativity there either.
  • Options
    Is IWT1 that powerpoint assignment? If so, that was a pain.

It would be nice if they gave some general guidelines on the programming tasks, but let us develop as we chose. I'd imagine if you asked 10 professional programmers to do something like task 1, then you'd get 10 different ways of doing it. Having VB experience probably helps.
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    I just finished KFT1 and it was a joy to uninstall netbeans and the other programs clogging up my HD.

For the array in task 1 of KET1 if you do not have it in your program then your program isn't really finished. The array is necessary to save your input's so you can do your tuition report.

I used the java for programmers and it kinda helped me. I usually googled every java item that was not clear for me in the book.

For the program of task4 of KFT1 just ask your questions here instead of the course mentors would be my suggestion. Every time I got in touch with the course mentors I got more frustrated with half assed answers that seemed they want more work due to the poor writing of the task instructions. I'll also give the tip of reverse engineer your code to create the class and sequence diagrams.
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    If you didn't use an array, how are you saving the entries? A List?

To back up what KeithC has said. The array is a pretty core requirement. Not to say it can't happen, but the odds of your assignment passing without it is pretty slim.

As far as creativity in the assignments, I totally agree. If KET1 Task 1 is irritating you, just wait til you get to KFT1 Task 4... I had to go back and implement unnecessary features into mine after I was done just to satisfy the rubric. I shared my irritation with the course mentor and she informed me they were going to be pushing out a new assignment soon. That's good news for future students. I found it sad that has been the same assignment for the last few years.

Also, as KeithC has said, do the 30day professional Visual Paradigm trial, and you can import your code and have it auto-generate. I wasn't aware of it doing the sequence diagrams, but they were quick and easy to hand jam. I did a GUI so I had a lot of classes and using it to auto-generate my class diagram saved me a lot of time.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    I loved when I asked about the calculatetuition method where in the program task instructions it asked about number of hours. The course mentor was like eh well add it to the program. F that! I also questioned about listing all students as it is stated in the introduction but not listed in the task pretty blank answer again. Same frustration with querying, deleting, updating by student "type".

I also heard they will be rolling out a replacement(I guess they will need a new course code) for KFT1. Current students who do not have the course in their AAV may be able to swap out the KFT1 for the new course (which may be easier or harder then it is now), but I am unsure if the student would have to join the newer program. Like when WGU switched from the 2003 MCSE to the MCITP:EA courses students were allowed to pick were version they wanted that would be a question more for said students mentor.

For my degree plan I am in the older one without the MTA's & geography so if the newer KFT1 CU is different then 4 I wouldn't have enough CU to complete my degree.
  • Options
    While I found some of the requirements bogus, I did learn from the assignment, so at the end of the day I guess it accomplished what it was set out to do. I did take on more work by doing a full GUI for it.

As mentioned, I also prefer to be given a problem and run off and solve it how I see fit. I think it has to deal with grading a lot. It would take more time/$$ on the grading part if every student was turning in something different.

I just finished the newer circ, well I had to take like 5-6 MTA's and BVC1 Geography.
  • Options
    @Keith - I agree with the frustration of dealing with some of the course mentors. I had the same stuff with the Microsoft CM's. Main advice was to "answer the pre-exam survey questions properly" and "just read through the COS" I learned more by asking our admins at work technical questions.

Interesting with KFT1 tasks going to change.I have 4 classes left and KFT1 is one of them.
  • Options
    Task 4 of KFT1 stressed me out so much, yet I found in the end it was actually much easier than I made it out to be. Don't worry too much if you're implementing things "the way" the assignment describes them, as long as you hit all the points of the rubric you'll be fine. I realized I was spending way too much time on it when my partner for the earlier tasks e-mailed me and said he was done already. I was really worried about the diagrams not being correct because I only spent about 2 hours putting together the diagrams and test plans, and I got a 4.0. If you're spending a long time on it, you might be overthinking it (like I did).

Honestly, Google saved me on both the Java classes and did more for me than any of the provided materials. Java For Beginners helped me so much to get through both courses. It helps that they use NetBeans in their examples, too.
  • Options
    kgb wrote: »
    If you didn't use an array, how are you saving the entries? A List?

I just kept a running total. That's what seemed quick, easy, and logical to me. There's really nothing fancy being done to the numbers that requires an array. Putting it into an array just overly complicates things.

You can't scan a jtextfield, however, you can parse it. You can't parse and stick a number into an array, you need to scan it. No array - no problem. Array - huge problem. Doesn't seem right at all to me. I'm a huge fan of keeping it simple in programming. Don't use unnecessary stuff. If your program's complicated then so is the fix. If the program's simple, then usually so is the fix.

I've spent more hours looking for away to scan a jtextfield box than I have writing a finished,working program.

I'm due to talk to me mentor in a few hours, first time since starting this class. I'm gonna see if he can offer any suggestions.
  • Options
    I'm not following the "You can't parse and stick a number into an array, you need to scan it." statement.

In my application, I parse to Double, then those values are stored into a 2D Array. I will say I like your idea of a running total and it makes sense to me. I didn't think of doing something like that...not to sound like a jerk, but there's no other way to say it, cause I read the instructions of the assignment.

It sucks you went down this path as no one likes to waste time. Your implementation could very well be the better way to do it. But, it was clearly stated to use a 2D Array. I complained about bogus requirements as well, but that's the assignment and in this case, it was clearly stated. There was no room for misinterpretation if you read it all.
  • Options
    @Psoasman Don't get me started about the MS classes (summary - I spent ~ 5 hours talking to the CM about the first 2008 exam [mainly about the new LR]. After 3 attempts and wasting about half a term I switched programs) I will agree the COS sometimes helps but more so the rubrics since that is what the evaluators use.

Like boredgamelad I was stressing out over KFT1 Task 4 because within the COS it says to just google what the three different diagrams are (that I had to create a total of 8-10 diagrams). Last week I told my mentor how fed up I was with the class and how I refused to contact the course mentor again on my own doing. With the same conversation with my mentor we came up with a plan to just finish what I felt the task asked for using the rubrics and see what the evaluators noticed was wrong.

@Reseven hint "don't scan have the jtextfields write to the array" I feel your pain I would spend hours researching one stupid little thing and sometimes it just wouldn't work with what I had.
  • Options
    KeithC wrote: »
    ... more so the rubrics since that is what the evaluators use...
    ... finish what I felt the task asked for using the rubrics and see what the evaluators noticed was wrong.

That x 100000. If you are not working off the rubrics, you are only creating yourself frustration that can be avoided.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    my paperwork for the kft1 task 4 was about 30 pages long
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers: