Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    I'm right there with ya about INC1 my first attempt was 56% and my second was 59%. It's just too broad of a class was the way I felt when I took it over a year ago.

The categories of "The Earth" & "Organisms" were what screwed me the first time.
  • Options
    TechChica2012TechChica2012 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a question about WGU since its assessment based. For classes that only list an IT industry certification like lets say CEH... what happens if you do not pass the Certified Ethical Hacker exam the first go around? Do you have to retake it in order to pass the class completely. Or are there other assessments that can allow you to pass the actual class, while you continue to study for the exam. I'm just trying to get clarification on how it all works because I'm confused at some of the classes that list a industry cert only. I'm wondering if that means the class is solely based on obtaining that industry cert? Either way sounds like a great deal, just wondering how it works.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ---POST REMOVED BY USER---

See KeithC's the post below for further detail.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    WGU's policy for retake fees.
    "Students seeking information technology degrees are required to pay for the assessment voucher to retake the third and subsequent attempts at an assessment."

WGU's policy for objective assessments (certifications, classes that require a test using a webcam or at a 3rd party site)

"Attempts on all objective assessments including outside vendor assessments will be limited to four attempts. Students who fail an attempt on an assessment must wait at least 14 days before retaking the same assessment. Prior to retaking the assessment, students must consult with their Student Mentor and Course Mentor to develop an intervening learning resource experience. An intervening learning resource experience may be focused study, a recurring appointment with a Course Mentor, engagement in the Course of Study, engagement in weekly webinars or other appropriate educational activities. Second attempts will require the approval of the appropriate Course Mentor for the assessment. Attempts three and beyond will require Course Mentor and additional supervisory approvals, and will be granted only after student engagement standards have been met. After a failed fourth attempt, an appeal for an additional attempt may be submitted to the Associate Provost for Academic Services by the Student Mentor, but it is unlikely that an appeal will be approved except in the most extreme circumstances. If the appeal for an additional attempt is denied, the student will have to either change to a WGU degree program that does not contain that assessment or seek educational opportunities outside of WGU.
    "
  • Options
    chob11chob11 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone need a partner for KFT1 Task 1. Looking to knock it out quickly.
  • Options
    Lara986Lara986 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, So I am a 20 something college student finish up my AS in Comp Sci. I was thinking of WGU for my bachelors in IT Software but I have been reading a lot of mixed reviews. I have learned java and C # but I am not really an expert at either. I'm not bad but I'm not genius or again, expert. Since most of you here have gone there do you think a novice can succeed at WGU?

I have taken online classes so I'm fine with that part of it. I have plenty of motivation and time to study. What worries me is that most of the positive reviews are from people already in the industry. Also a huge concern is that once I apply which will be a month or two before I get my AS, I won't have the right classes to get in or I will need to take extra classes. On the WGU website it only says you need an AS in IT or the like. Are there any problems like that anyone has run into?

I have the ability to go to UW but I rather go to WGU if I can. However the fact that they can say something like I don't have enough classes even if I have a degree is troubling. Another plus with UW is I know exactly what they ask for and when I transfer I wont have to take any extra classes.

Just a little more background so you can answer my question, other than C# and Java/JavaScript, I have taken up to Calc 3 and Physics (a 3 course sequence) as well as the other general classes (English etc).

Ok well thank you for reading my very long question and the answers are deeply appreciated!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think most of the positive reviews are from people working in the field is because that is who WGU caters to. That is their target audience.

I wouldn't suggest WGU to someone in your situation.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @Lara - I'd wait until you get your AS degree. That should transfer in, clearing a lot of the lower courses for you. Your best bet is to start the application process and see what an enrollment counselor will tell you. WGU can also do a class by class evaluation for you.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    For anyone who has taken TPV1/Project+, is one book particularly better than the other?
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The sybex book is great, if you have access to the Phillips book, the charts in back of the book are very handy to have.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey everyone.

Does wgu offer free or reduce prices for their students to use safari books? I need to know ASAP since my trial ends soon.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    Jasiono wrote: »
    Hey everyone.

Does wgu offer free or reduce prices for their students to use safari books? I need to know ASAP since my trial ends soon.

not that i know of i think we use books 24x7 for most everything
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    I hate that my mentor asks me to pass every pre-assessment before allowing me to pass the real one. She makes me lose my time. It's like she doesn't trust me. I just failed inc1 once because it was really hard, so now I guess she won't trust me anymore.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    phaneuf1 wrote: »
    I hate that my mentor asks me to pass every pre-assessment before allowing me to pass the real one. She makes me lose my time. It's like she doesn't trust me. I just failed inc1 once because it was really hard, so now I guess she won't trust me anymore.

I don't believe that's it's an issue of trust - how else can your mentor or, more importantly, you gauge your level of preparedness for the real exam except through the pre-assessments tests?
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    cygnus21cygnus21 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□

It is also in your best interest as you can only fail an exam so many times before you have to pay for a retake. Even with non cert exams. So your mentor is looking out for you by making sure that you are ready before referring you for the assessment.
    WGU B.S.IT - Network Design and Management :
    Courses Completed: Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, IWC1, IWT1 Completed: GAC1, AXV1, TTV1, WFV1, BNC1, BNC1
    Courses Needed : LAT1, LUT1, HHT1, QLT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, ORC1, LET1, BOV1, TPV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIV1
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    not that i know of i think we use books 24x7 for most everything

Hmmm. Can I get additional books on there? I'll have to check it out. I used the resources given per class but I need additional ones for my Microsoft exam.
  • Options
    EM64TEM64T Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just had a frustrating experience when attempting to enroll that hopefully others can learn from.

I had been playing phone tag with my enrollment adviser, however he was sending me e-mail with steps to complete. I decided to get going with the process and complete everything I could in the meantime. Yesterday I get an e-mail stating I failed the assessment test. I sat down and called my enrollment adviser every hour on the hour until I got him in the phone and asked what happened. He had me go through the questions and when he got to "have you taken any prior college courses or have college credit", my answer was no. He said that was likely the reason, WGU looks for students who have had prior college experience. This is contrary to literally everything I understood from the website.

Long story short he was nice about it and said he would start an appeal process for me, but in the meantime I have to come up with about 12 college credits through straighterline, type an essay about why I deserve the appeal, and then see what they say.

This is frustrating. From the degree requirements listed on WGU's own website for the IT BS - Security, I have over 10 years work experience in the field along with numerous transferable-for-credit (according to WGU's own site) certifications (CISSP, etc.) which should have got me in the door.

The moral of the story is make sure you talk to your enrollment adviser prior to even touching the assessment test. By going ahead I apparently caused myself grief that likely could have been avoided. Now I get to jump through hoops.
  • Options
    EM64T wrote: »
    Yesterday I get an e-mail stating I failed the assessment test. I sat down and called my enrollment adviser every hour on the hour until I got him in the phone and asked what happened. He had me go through the questions and when he got to "have you taken any prior college courses or have college credit", my answer was no. He said that was likely the reason, WGU looks for students who have had prior college experience. This is contrary to literally everything I understood from the website.

I had the same problem - received an e-mail from WGU stating "we regret to inform you..." I called up my enrollment counselor and it was fixed after they evaluated my certs.
  • Options
    EM64TEM64T Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ivan, I talked with my counselor and mentioned a few of my certs, but he didn't go further with it (per my post above). What do you suggest to get them to look at my certs without having to jump through these hoops? I am also having student records sent to me from a technical college (EMT class) that was good for a few credits.
  • Options
    Teacher2013Teacher2013 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□

Really? I guess this is a good thing. They really want to make sure you know your stuff before taking the Exam. The more you do it the better you will remember it.
  • Options
    Teacher2013Teacher2013 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Lara986 wrote: »
    Hi, So I am a 20 something college student finish up my AS in Comp Sci. I was thinking of WGU for my bachelors in IT Software but I have been reading a lot of mixed reviews. I have learned java and C # but I am not really an expert at either. I'm not bad but I'm not genius or again, expert. Since most of you here have gone there do you think a novice can succeed at WGU?

I have taken online classes so I'm fine with that part of it. I have plenty of motivation and time to study. What worries me is that most of the positive reviews are from people already in the industry. Also a huge concern is that once I apply which will be a month or two before I get my AS, I won't have the right classes to get in or I will need to take extra classes. On the WGU website it only says you need an AS in IT or the like. Are there any problems like that anyone has run into?

I have the ability to go to UW but I rather go to WGU if I can. However the fact that they can say something like I don't have enough classes even if I have a degree is troubling. Another plus with UW is I know exactly what they ask for and when I transfer I wont have to take any extra classes.

Just a little more background so you can answer my question, other than C# and Java/JavaScript, I have taken up to Calc 3 and Physics (a 3 course sequence) as well as the other general classes (English etc).

Ok well thank you for reading my very long question and the answers are deeply appreciated!

This is a great question for your enrollment counselor. Also, ask your enrollment counselor if you can speak with other students taking or have took the program you are looking into.
    Best of Luck
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I had the same issue back in march and didn't fight it, I decided to get a couple of certs out of the way but I later talked to another enrollment counselor and he was like "oh you could have come in back then!" I was mad but it all worked out in the end.

I learned with WGU and pretty much anything else you need to be your own advocate and fight for it.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    On the pre assessment issue while it bugged me at first, the mentors get dinged pretty bad if you fail any of your assessments and put the blame on them from what I've gathered.

Also while some may not require it, its actually in the student handbook:

From the New Coaching Reports and Pre-assessment Delivery System section of the Student Handbook:
    Will students have to pass the pre-assessment in order to take the competency assessment?

The policy states that a student must pass the per-assessment, or have taken it three times and have their mentors support in referring for the competency exam.
  • Options
    Ivan, I talked with my counselor and mentioned a few of my certs, but he didn't go further with it (per my post above). What do you suggest to get them to look at my certs without having to jump through these hoops? I am also having student records sent to me from a technical college (EMT class) that was good for a few credits.

@ EM64T - speak to your enrollment counselor again - explain to him that you have college credits and certs - in fact, forward the cert links to certificateinfo@wgu.edu - transcripts to transcriptinfo@wgu.edu - he/she can appeal the decision.
  • Options
    nosoup4u wrote: »
    I learned with WGU and pretty much anything else you need to be your own advocate and fight for it.

I agree with that 100%. Case in point, I recently had two web-proctored exams scheduled for the same day. The first went by without a hitch but on the second there was some problem with my photo (apparently I had shifted while taking it) so my exam was frozen and the guys at Kryterion told me I had to call WGU to get it released. The WGU scheduler released the exam but told me that he had to reschedule it for another day - I appealed to his sense of fairness but it was of no use. I told him that I was going to call Kryterion directly and ask them to allow me to take the exam the same day - his response was that they would not do it. Needless to say, the Kryterion guys were quite sympathetic - they walked me through the steps of resetting my photo and allowed me to resit the exam immediately.
  • Options
    monkeyman1monkeyman1 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am starting my MS program in Information Assurance at WGU January 1st. One of the first classes I am planing to take is TFT2 -Cyberlaw and LKT2 - Network Security Practices. . Unfortunetly I can not access their library until January 1st. Does anyone happen to have any study material for these class that can share with me?. I have a lot of vacation time coming up and would like to get a head start.

Than x in advance
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    The picture thing happened to me. I was so pissed. The fact that they don't give you a preview of the image or anything is completely insane. It happened @ 9pm...WGU is closed... I had to wait til the next morning because WGU actually is the one that has to reset the photo. And ya, according to the Kry guys, the new system(the way it is now) allows them to schedule tests within 15mins, it just depends on if there's an opening.
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    I agree with that 100%. Case in point, I recently had two web-proctored exams scheduled for the same day. The first went by without a hitch but on the second there was some problem with my photo (apparently I had shifted while taking it) so my exam was frozen and the guys at Kryterion told me I had to call WGU to get it released. The WGU scheduler released the exam but told me that he had to reschedule it for another day - I appealed to his sense of fairness but it was of no use. I told him that I was going to call Kryterion directly and ask them to allow me to take the exam the same day - his response was that they would not do it. Needless to say, the Kryterion guys were quite sympathetic - they walked me through the steps of resetting my photo and allowed me to resit the exam immediately.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    k.o.r.k.o.r. Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just had a frustrating experience when attempting to enroll that hopefully others can learn from.

I had been playing phone tag with my enrollment adviser, however he was sending me e-mail with steps to complete. I decided to get going with the process and complete everything I could in the meantime. Yesterday I get an e-mail stating I failed the assessment test. I sat down and called my enrollment adviser every hour on the hour until I got him in the phone and asked what happened. He had me go through the questions and when he got to "have you taken any prior college courses or have college credit", my answer was no. He said that was likely the reason, WGU looks for students who have had prior college experience. This is contrary to literally everything I understood from the website.

Long story short he was nice about it and said he would start an appeal process for me, but in the meantime I have to come up with about 12 college credits through straighterline, type an essay about why I deserve the appeal, and then see what they say.

This is frustrating. From the degree requirements listed on WGU's own website for the IT BS - Security, I have over 10 years work experience in the field along with numerous transferable-for-credit (according to WGU's own site) certifications (CISSP, etc.) which should have got me in the door.

The moral of the story is make sure you talk to your enrollment adviser prior to even touching the assessment test. By going ahead I apparently caused myself grief that likely could have been avoided. Now I get to jump through hoops.

Thank you for sharing this. I nearly did the same thing until I saw this. Good Luck.
  • Options
    forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    monkeyman1 wrote: »
    I am starting my MS program in Information Assurance at WGU January 1st. One of the first classes I am planing to take is TFT2 -Cyberlaw and LKT2 - Network Security Practices. . Unfortunetly I can not access their library until January 1st. Does anyone happen to have any study material for these class that can share with me?. I have a lot of vacation time coming up and would like to get a head start.

Than x in advance

Send me a private msg and I'll send you the course syllabi. Most of the study materials can be found cheaply on Amazon, the NIST, ISO, or Sans.org. Eventually you'll get access to ucertify and other other learning resources required in the courses.
  • Options
    k.o.r.k.o.r. Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've read WGU will not transfer Technical Writing course credit. Is this true? I took this program at a CC and it wasn't a walk in the park. I hope WGU would reconsider.