Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nosoup4u wrote: »
    There are no teachers at WGU, its 100% self taught.

But there are course mentors. You make it sound as though you can't get help.
  • Options
    Hey thanks, Did they accept your Network+, I see that they dont have it listed in the security certifications, I have A+,Network+,Security+,and Linux+ but I only see that they have 2 of those listed in Security. I also have 93 credits from Stonybrook University, I was one year away from graduating, It looks like If I go to WGU, it will taKE longer, What do you thinkk about that? I am hesitant to start my whole college career over again, because it took me like 7 years part-time to get 93 credits. I am really confused man, I was almost certain I was going to go to WGU, now I am getting second thoughts, I thought they would at least have instructors teaching online. Damn.

The security track at WGU uses the CCENT instead of the Network+ certification. I got that certification in order to advance my viability within the job market.

WGU is probably the best decision I've ever made. I wouldn't hesitate to study there.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    But there are course mentors. You make it sound as though you can't get help.

you can get some direction but no taught classes just some one you can ask a question to
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Again, if you want to contact other members you just need to enable it in your profile to receive emails. Then you can contact each other all you want.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My mentor moved on to another position a few months ago, and my new mentor is a little less liberal with approvals for exams than my previous mentor. I proved that I could tackle every exam I've had so far, and yet my current mentor still won't give me the approval, even though I'm a few days away from the scheduling deadline... If I survive this term, I'm going to need to change mentors it looks like...
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Personally, I wouldn't wait til next term. Switch now. If you've passed all your classes on the first try, there's no reason for the mentor to be "coddling" you. They are fast with the switches.

I've said it a lot, but I'm glad I had the mentor I did. The stories I hear some of you guys/gals have to go through makes me irritated and it doesn't even affect me.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Please PM me suggestions of who was good for you.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    Quick questions for WGU students who have access to the the CSV1 course. Are you planning on following up on your MCTS 70-680 with the 70-685 for the MCITP:W7E cert? It would seem like a logical progressive step to take.
  • Options
    geekoncallgeekoncall Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got earlier credit transfer evaluation for "Bachelor of Business in HR". After speaking to enrollment adviser etc, I decided to change my Major to " IT Management instead if HR. So, I will be doing Bachelor of Business in IT Management.

I am wondering if some one can explain me, would I get a new evaluation since I switched my Major or it will remain same? as I can see mots of courses are same expect the last 2-3 plus certification.

Thanks for your help.
    WGU BSB-IT Progress: Date Started: 2013/03/01
    Working ON: Completed Bachelor :). Thinking for MBA
    Project+, CIW Web Associate, MTA Network Associate
    Transferred/Completed: AGC1, BBC1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, INC1, BVC1, LIT1, EST1, FNT1, MKC1, MKT1, MGC1, QAT1, EGT1,LAE1, LUT1, BNC1, LWC1, INT1, QBT1, EGC1, FNC1, CLC1, IWC1, RWT1, BDC1, IWT1, TPV1, CWV1, WFV1, QFT1, PFIT
  • Options
    j23evanj23evan Member Posts: 135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    The security track at WGU uses the CCENT instead of the Network+ certification. I got that certification in order to advance my viability within the job market.

WGU is probably the best decision I've ever made. I wouldn't hesitate to study there.

I whole heartedly agree on it being the best decision.
    https://vWrong.com - Microsoft Certified Trainer 2013-2018 - VMware vExpert 2014-2018 - Cisco Champion 2018 - http://linkedin.com/in/j23evan/
  • Options
    fslima0fslima0 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello people. I plan on transferring to WGU by the end of 2013 and I'd like to know how much of my AAS Network Administration degree will transfer...And how long it will take. I am shooting for 2 terms to get my Bachelors...

Can someone send me a referral link to apply to this university? Thanks...
    Current Goals: CCNP and RHCSA
  • Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    I keep considering WGU.

If I do say 90% of the required certifications before I enroll, and leave say 3 certifications to do through WGU, is that basically all the work I need to do in 6 months for a degree?
    I see people posting various codes for different units, but I assume those units make up an official vendor certification?

Also I graduated high school 15 years ago in Australia, I now live in Canada, my high school certificate is in a box in a storage locker 20,000 miles from where I live now.
    How strict is WGU going to be about letting me in without proof I graduated high school ?
    Is my 12 years of experience and multiple IT certifications going to make up for it?
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    they didnt even ask for my ged when i started, and if i was just starting id say just hte the reg degree and get all the comptias and server+ before i started, and study the ciw classes and get those done asap
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    Also I graduated high school 15 years ago in Australia, I now live in Canada, my high school certificate is in a box in a storage locker 20,000 miles from where I live now.
    How strict is WGU going to be about letting me in without proof I graduated high school ?

If it exists, its also stored electronically. They did not request proof from me, all they wanted from me was what HighSchool did I gradute from and they retrieved it themselves. (Good thing too, Since I don't even know where my original is. Didn't really care when I got it so I have no idea where the original is.)
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    I wouldn't sweat not having your high school diploma on hand. Just try to go through the admissions process and if it comes up then explain the situation.

On another note I believe you will have to have any general education classes reviewed / evaluated by a third party I think since you live in Canada.

All the course codes you see are WGU specific that translate to a class. You can see the current list under the degree program on the link "View the PDF program guide"
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is cuv1 fairly easy?

Does the ciw 1d0-520 exam test heavily on code or theory?
  • Options
    moreland11moreland11 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When I checked out WGU 6-7 months ago I found a pdf file or link that showed the different levels of classes and what counted for the category. Like how many units you need of X and what counted. But there was also stuff like if you passed CCNA you could skip the network + . Does someone have this link handy or where to look on the web site?

Actually I think I found the old pdfs. It was titled "Transfer Guidelines".
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jasiono wrote: »
    Is cuv1 fairly easy?

Does the ciw 1d0-520 exam test heavily on code or theory?

I found it fairly easy to be honest. I didn't do the labs, just went through the PDFs. The test is very, very similar to the questions on the practice exams and course mastery modules. I don't think I can be more specific without breaking the candidate agreement.
  • Options
    I found it fairly easy to be honest. I didn't do the labs, just went through the PDFs. The test is very, very similar to the questions on the practice exams and course mastery modules. I don't think I can be more specific without breaking the candidate agreement.

Understandable, thanks. I have been reading the PDFs and taking the exams until this point. I planned on doing the labs at the end, together.
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380

I found this to be true for all CIW exams. As far as learning resources for exam preparation, the CIW resources were easily the best, imho. They should be though, since they are the writers of the exams:)
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    Yeah. I took the mcts and failed it the first time with Microsofts resources and apparently it's a terrible resource to begin with.

Good news on the ciw. I've been tackling 2 chapters a day. It's a fairly easy read (for now). I don't know anything about flash so it'll be new to me
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    Just looked at the requirements for admission and it says submit a resume with at least three plus years of IT experience. I only have one year of experience but also hold my AAS in information technology. Is it possible to still get it? Also i have no certs at the moment but working on my A+ cert.
  • Options
    MataviMatavi Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The requirement only requires one of the listed. So either experience OR associate's OR certification. I got in based on having an A+ alone because my associate's is in a non-IT related field. However I will say that reading through these forums as I was applying and studying for the A+, a lot of people got some pretty stiff enrollment counselors who push for having an associate's and a certification, so if you're studying for it, go ahead and apply and if you find out you need to get the A+ they'll wait for you.

Hopefully you'll get my enrollment counselor, she was awesome! =D
    WGU IT - Software
    Start date: 1/1/13
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @100k - your AAS in IT should be good enough for entry. As Matavi said, you only need 1 of the choices in addition to your high school diploma, or equivalent.

Online Bachelor Information Technology Degree | WGU College of Information Technology
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    Thanks. Gonna apply for the first of February hopefully I get in for that time.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How are you all sending in your certs for evaluation? I've never had to send my Security+ in to anywhere. I know transcripts can only be sent in from the institution via fax or mail, but unsure how it works for certs. Thanks.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    WGU will send you an email with instructions for sending in certs from Microsoft, Cisco, CIW, and CompTIA.
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    For Comptia you can log into your account and email it to WGU.
  • Options
    Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Could a current student enrolled at WGU provide me a referral?

I'm starting the admission application today after lots of consideration to attend WGU.

Much appreciated if you do. PM me.

Edit: Just find the right thread..
  • Options
    Has anyone used there WGU degree to get into a master's program at a state college? How likely are they to accept you.