Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Reseven wrote: »
    You can't scan a jtextfield, however, you can parse it. You can't parse and stick a number into an array, you need to scan it. No array - no problem. Array - huge problem.

It sounds like you're frustrated because the way you want to do things may not match up with the way the task asks you to do them. I share in your pain. This is one of the unfortunaties (a new word I just coined) of TaskStream. I felt the design for Task 4 of KFT1 was unnecessarily convoluted, but if you design based on the rubric you'll almost certainly pass.

I will say that getting the numbers from the text field into your array is not as much a problem as you're making it out to be. It only takes 4 lines. It might not be the optimal solution but it satisfies the requirements and for TaskStream that's what really counts. Good luck!
    my paperwork for the kft1 task 4 was about 30 pages long

Mine was only 12 icon_tongue.gif. I really thought I was going to get it sent back but I got almost perfect scores.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mine was only 12 icon_tongue.gif. I really thought I was going to get it sent back but I got almost perfect scores.

Quality trumps quantity once again! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kgb wrote: »
    I'm not following the "You can't parse and stick a number into an array, you need to scan it." statement.

In my application, I parse to Double, then those values are stored into a 2D Array. I will say I like your idea of a running total and it makes sense to me. I didn't think of doing something like that...not to sound like a jerk, but there's no other way to say it, cause I read the instructions of the assignment.

It sucks you went down this path as no one likes to waste time. Your implementation could very well be the better way to do it. But, it was clearly stated to use a 2D Array. I complained about bogus requirements as well, but that's the assignment and in this case, it was clearly stated. There was no room for misinterpretation if you read it all.

You didn't sound like a jerk. I should have read it a bit closer, and looked at the rubric before beginning. I was bit anxious to get something going in netbeans and I kinda figured if I need the array I can squeeze one in. It's not like totally wasted time. I do have the program done I just need to get the array up and functioning.

I asked about parsing the data and getting it into an array on a java forum. Someone told me that it couldn't be done and that I had to scan it.
    Perhaps they were wrong??..?...???.? Thanks for the hint. I'll see if I can get the data into the array. I was just kinda stuck at that point because you have to have data to work with before you can test the array.
    KeithC wrote: »
    @Reseven hint "don't scan have the jtextfields write to the array" I feel your pain I would spend hours researching one stupid little thing and sometimes it just wouldn't work with what I had.
    Thank you very much! :D
    It sounds like you're frustrated because the way you want to do things may not match up with the way the task asks you to do them. I share in your pain. This is one of the unfortunaties (a new word I just coined) of TaskStream. I felt the design for Task 4 of KFT1 was unnecessarily convoluted, but if you design based on the rubric you'll almost certainly pass.

I will say that getting the numbers from the text field into your array is not as much a problem as you're making it out to be. It only takes 4 lines. It might not be the optimal solution but it satisfies the requirements and for TaskStream that's what really counts. Good luck!

Frustrated is an appropriate word. I guess the array in this project goes against the KISS principle. No need for it to be complicated. But if that's what they want, they shall receive. I know now to expect more of these unfortunaties in the future. :)

Your probably right on when it comes to it being something simple I'm missing. Wouldn't surprise me one bit. I'll get back it this evening.

I did speak to my mentor about the class today. He told me that the program is under new management and was being looked over by the new help. He's hoping it will get streamlined down the road like David's BOV1 and CUV1 classes. Those were done extremely well.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    I have the best mentor of all time and would like to thank her here for keeping me on track.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□

Honestly, Google saved me on both the Java classes and did more for me than any of the provided materials. Java For Beginners helped me so much to get through both courses. It helps that they use NetBeans in their examples, too.

+1 This site is great! I just got done making the calculator and working netbeans makes much more sense now.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2nd submittal for Decision Analyst. 50 pages of nothing but computations. Insanity!

I cannot wait to get this 4th task over. This task is miserable.\

Infact it is so bad I went on and finished Stategy task 1 tonight. I am hoping to move back to decision here shortly. I just need a freaking break.
  • Options
    JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    hi all
    i got a quick question.
    i know Canadians can also attend WGU.
    is it possible to attend WGU Online for a foreigner working in Canada??
  • Options
    JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    (i mean for a Non-US/Canada Citizen)

thanks
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    I'm not sure but with your certifications you should pass the IT requirements. I would call them and if the person you speak to doesn't sound too sure then speak to somebody else.

Here is a link if you have not seen it about international transfer credit evaluation if you have prior school classes you would like transferred.
  • Options
    mbarrambarra Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Question about KFT1 task 1. What is required to be submitted? Is it just the self assessment questionaire or is there more required such as the program and a report on the discussion from part C?
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone know how military friendly WGU is? As in, there are times where I'm in the field and do not have access to a computer for a week at a time, deployments, changing duty stations, etc...

Also, I have access to free certification vouchers through the military. Mainly all of the CompTIA's(I already have Sec+), CEH, Microsoft, and CCNA, is it better to complete more certifications before I enroll or just take them through WGU(A+, Net+ are part of the major I'm interested in)? Any input is greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    BishopTTUBishopTTU Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone considered WGU just for an MBA without the IT certification track?
  • Options
    MSPSHAY2003MSPSHAY2003 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did anyone find it hard to take IT courses after being out of school for 3 years?
  • Options
    MSPSHAY2003MSPSHAY2003 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is anyone in Texas enrolled in this school?
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    For KFT1 Task1 all I submitted was the self-assessment form.
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I'm not in the military, but with WGU, you are in complete control of your pace. The only issue is if you don't pass the 12CU's a term (6 months). So, if you are going to be out of pocket for months and months I'm not sure. Weeks at a time, not an issue.

If you can get free vouchers and are able to self-study with your own resources I think doing them before enrolling would be beneficial. However, if you are going to spend a lot of money on resources, maybe not so.
    Codyy wrote: »
    Anyone know how military friendly WGU is? As in, there are times where I'm in the field and do not have access to a computer for a week at a time, deployments, changing duty stations, etc...

Also, I have access to free certification vouchers through the military. Mainly all of the CompTIA's(I already have Sec+), CEH, Microsoft, and CCNA, is it better to complete more certifications before I enroll or just take them through WGU(A+, Net+ are part of the major I'm interested in)? Any input is greatly appreciated!
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    dt3kdt3k Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Which of these classes can be completed in the smallest amount of time possible?

I need to complete a bunch of classes this term to keep my financial aid because I had a rough term last term. T

This is all I have left: CUV1, BOV1, RIT1, BNC1, KET1, TPV1, MGC1, CJV1, KFT1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1

In your experience which of these courses the most easy?
  • Options
    Bnc1, rit1, & mgc1 can done in about 2 weeks.
  • Options
    dt3kdt3k Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    tpv1 can be done in about a mth if needed, id do it right after mgc1
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    @dt3k - make sure you take into account the 5-days out for scheduling the proctored exams. Example: you do the MGC1 and get 70%, the schedule the exam right away and use the coaching report to brush up on the weak areas. I wasted a lot of time early on not knowing this.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Bnc1, rit1, & mgc1 can done in about 2 weeks.

Is BNC1 really that easy? It looks like it is just reading roughly 12 chapters and a few quizzes, but I figured it more on the boring side than the easy side.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    I took a bunch of these courses at community college, so the WGU was mostly review. I recommend doing the pre-assessment first, then use the coaching report to gauge where to focus. Since you have to schedule out the exam 5 days, if you are using the web cam, that was enough study time for me.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    S3curityPlu5S3curityPlu5 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am about to enroll in WGU for the BS in Security, but I am curious if there will be actual teachers teaching the classes over skype, (like Im used to from Netcom Learning) or do they do it another way. I have only found that they don't really have a large faculty of teachers, so I'm curious if I will be learning from actual human beings or just videos, webinars, and readings?? I am concerned because it is important to have someone to ask questions. Can anyone explain the methods used in WGU's Information Security BS Program. I also am looking for a referral if you can find a way to send me a message since I cannot message anyone.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am about to enroll in WGU for the BS in Security, but I am curious if there will be actual teachers teaching the classes over skype, (like Im used to from Netcom Learning) or do they do it another way. I have only found that they don't really have a large faculty of teachers, so I'm curious if I will be learning from actual human beings or just videos, webinars, and readings?? I am concerned because it is important to have someone to ask questions. Can anyone explain the methods used in WGU's Information Security BS Program. I also am looking for a referral if you can find a way to send me a message since I cannot message anyone.

I am a current student in the B.S. of IT Security. Most classes are based on videos. webinars, and readings. They sometimes have a live webinar that they will announce through email, but most of the time you do the work yourself. As for course help, you have access to a class mentor for each class. You can contact them by phone, email and live chat. Besides general education classes, almost all the security focused courses are geared towards a certification, which you can see by viewing the WGU website. I would be happy to discuss any further questions you may have regarding the program.
  • Options
    S3curityPlu5S3curityPlu5 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey thanks, Did they accept your Network+, I see that they dont have it listed in the security certifications, I have A+,Network+,Security+,and Linux+ but I only see that they have 2 of those listed in Security. I also have 93 credits from Stonybrook University, I was one year away from graduating, It looks like If I go to WGU, it will taKE longer, What do you thinkk about that? I am hesitant to start my whole college career over again, because it took me like 7 years part-time to get 93 credits. I am really confused man, I was almost certain I was going to go to WGU, now I am getting second thoughts, I thought they would at least have instructors teaching online. Damn.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    There are no teachers at WGU, its 100% self taught.
  • Options
    JohnnyDeppJohnnyDepp Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello

I am looking for a WGU tutor who can help me complete my assignments

Please let me know