Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• x245_Trioxinx245_Trioxin Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Another WGU student here! Finishing my first term at the end of December. I'm currently working towards a BS IT: Security, and I'm planning on finishing up by the end of my next term.

Currently working on KET1...it is definitely taking longer than I had anticipated.
  • MegaMacMegaMac Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi!

I recently learned about WGU and have a few questions. First question is how much is one expected to pay having to do all courses, having only one or two transferable certifications? I see that it costs $2,000+ for each term. Do terms vary depending on how fast you complete courses, or can certain courses only be taken in certain terms? I suppose that question goes hand in hand with my total estimated cost question.

As far as the certifications go, I understand you have to take them as normal, but do you still have to pay for them or are their costs included in the tuition? As for taking the certifications during all the courses, are there certain intervals where you are to take them or are they "optional" so to speak? Can be taken at any time? From what I can gather doing WGU, you do the courses and earn certifications while building up to ultimately earning your degree. Of course I'm sure there's much more to it than that, which is why I ask these things. ;)

Any info would be appreciated!
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Which e-mail address should we use?

user@my.wgu.com or user@wgu.com

Both are available and both are mentioned in the orientation.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    user@my.wgu.edu is the one I use.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    DPG wrote: »
    Which e-mail address should we use?

user@my.wgu.com or user@wgu.com

Both are available and both are mentioned in the orientation.

I use both, it's the same mailbox. It does makes it confusing though.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
    MegaMac wrote: »
    Hi!

I recently learned about WGU and have a few questions. First question is how much is one expected to pay having to do all courses, having only one or two transferable certifications? I see that it costs $2,000+ for each term. Do terms vary depending on how fast you complete courses, or can certain courses only be taken in certain terms? I suppose that question goes hand in hand with my total estimated cost question.

As far as the certifications go, I understand you have to take them as normal, but do you still have to pay for them or are their costs included in the tuition? As for taking the certifications during all the courses, are there certain intervals where you are to take them or are they "optional" so to speak? Can be taken at any time? From what I can gather doing WGU, you do the courses and earn certifications while building up to ultimately earning your degree. Of course I'm sure there's much more to it than that, which is why I ask these things. ;)

Any info would be appreciated!

There's this thread and another thread at the top that contains all your answers...and the WGU website as well.
  • natvnatv Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Question about term breaks.. I believe we can do a 3 month break between terms without any problem (maybe with extension a 4 month break) right?

Does anyone know the process if you need to take a longer amount of time off (like 6 months to a year). How does it work when you want to come back?

What are the acceptable reasons that WGU would allow for a longer break?

Thanks
    Currently Working on: HHT1
    Courses
    Transferred/
    Completed at WGU:
    AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, BVC1, BNC1, DHV1, CSV1, DFV1, WFV1, BOV1, AXV1, CPV1, GAC1
    Courses Left to complete: B.S. IT,Security.
    QBT1, HHT1, INC1, INT1, CLC1, RIT1, DJV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, CTV1, CVV1, CJV1, CUV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, MGC1, RGT1

• CenturionMarioCenturionMario Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Question, if I register for WGU this week, and they approve my registration (along with transferring credits and certifications), do I start on November 1, or December 1?
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your earliest start will be December 1. You need to have all transcripts in by the 18th of the month prior. Financial Aid can take some time, too.
  • bntbnt Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm looking into either the IT security or IT networking degree at WGU, to improve my long-term opportunities. I have zero college experience, but 16 years in IT in systems engineering roles. I currently hold the following certifications:

RHCE RHEL6
    VMware VCP5
    ITIL Foundation

Older or expired certifications:
    RHCE RHEL3, RHEL5
    MCSE NT4.0
    CCNA (1999)

I seems like WGU will not offer any credit for any of these certifications, or my prior work history. I would basically be starting from scratch, right?
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CSV1

Who has taken it? It's the Microsoft Windows 7 course.

The question is regarding the labs in wileyplus.

Is it just me or do several of the labs SUCK? The typos involved are ok to deal with but I have come across instances where I can't do the lab because a key component is missing.

For instance, Lab 12 - Working with workgroups and domains. In the instructions it tells me to click on stat and type in the following "\\RWDC01\downloads\ x86fre_GRMRSAT_MSU.msu " This does not exist!

This is the second lab where the file does not exist.
  • discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    I'm sorry if this has been asked before but there is 100+ pages

On the courses they list a lot of Microsoft MTA exams which are fairly basic.

I already have an MCITP, would this eliminate my need to do all of these MTA exams?
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your MCITP would probably eliminate some of them. My MCITP cleared a couple of them. It depends on the emphasis you've selected or interested in.
  • KaiiKaii Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WGU is great but its totaly costly.. icon_sad.gif

In my state now i can`t afford to pay almost $23,000 or 900m(our money)

is there any possible solution for me to get a degree here icon_sad.gif

cause i really like to excel much as possible going out of my comfort zone..

any ideas sir`s/maam`s?
    I`m the Designer of my Own Catastrophy

“The best way to predict the FUTURE is to CREATE it”
    I'm confused, WGU is ~$6,000.00USD a year. I do not know where the $23,000.00 figure comes from. Whether it is available where you live I don't know.
    Thanks, Tom

I'm confused, WGU is ~$6,000.00USD a year. I do not know where the $23,000.00 figure comes from. Whether it is available where you live I don't know.

pardon sir .. ? i get that $23,000 in wgu site also at the tuition fee for BSIT sir

WGU at WGU Tuition and Financial Aid | Federal Financial Aid | Grants for College | Western Governors University Online lists the tuition as $2890.00USD per six month term. $23,000.00 would be the approximate cost for eight terms (4 years). So you are talking about the cost for the entire degree. WGU's cost is very reasonable for US schools.
    Thanks, Tom

WGU at WGU Tuition and Financial Aid | Federal Financial Aid | Grants for College | Western Governors University Online lists the tuition as $2890.00USD per six month term. $23,000.00 would be the approximate cost for eight terms (4 years). So you are talking about the cost for the entire degree. WGU's cost is very reasonable for US schools.

now i get it,, it sure a great thing indeed.. what i want to know now is why philipphines can`t avail to study at wgu?
    do you have idea sir?

• CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Kaii wrote: »
    now i get it,, it sure a great thing indeed.. what i want to know now is why philipphines can`t avail to study at wgu?
    do you have idea sir?

You may want to contact WGU adminissions for an answer.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've got my FAFSA stuff turned in, and I'm waiting to hear back from WGU. According to their tuition calculator, I should be getting a Pell grant. How accurate has that calculator been for you guys?
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Made a decision that once I complete my AD next semester I will be attenting WGU most definitely.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    coreyb80 wrote: »
    Made a decision that once I complete my AD next semester I will be attenting WGU most definitely.

If you do not have IT experience or several 300 level courses you may need to pass a certification in order to be admitted into the IT program. This really is not a big deal but I had assumed after completing my AD that I would be accepted based on my computer courses but since none of them were 300 level and I did not have enough IT experience my only option was to quickly earn a certification. I went with the CIW Web Foundations Associate exam. It was the cheapest and I felt the easiest WGU accepts for admittance. Honestly, I think the best move is to actually wait to start and study for at least two certifications. This way you can knock them out quickly after your start date and if you are only covering the cost of a certification book such as Mike Meyers it really is not expensive.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    WGU is the ONLY online university that has regional accreditation, the same governing body that accredited BYU, Washington State, etc.

For most of us, it's just a check mark to progress into our careers along with our years of experience.
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Krones wrote: »
    If you do not have IT experience or several 300 level courses you may need to pass a certification in order to be admitted into the IT program. This really is not a big deal but I had assumed after completing my AD that I would be accepted based on my computer courses but since none of them were 300 level and I did not have enough IT experience my only option was to quickly earn a certification. I went with the CIW Web Foundations Associate exam. It was the cheapest and I felt the easiest WGU accepts for admittance. Honestly, I think the best move is to actually wait to start and study for at least two certifications. This way you can knock them out quickly after your start date and if you are only covering the cost of a certification book such as Mike Meyers it really is not expensive.

Thank you for that information.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
    Don't feed the ***** or the extremely lazy. There's literally over 300 pages of threads in this forum that people share their experiences with WGU and other online schools that someone with any lick of serious interest would take the time to read.

When you make statements like that, it sounds like you saying you know WGU is supar and all you want is the degree. I don't think that's your intent, but that's how it comes across to me anyways. WGU is quality education, like everything in life, you get what you put into it.

nosoup4u wrote: »
    WGU is the ONLY online university that has regional accreditation, the same governing body that accredited BYU, Washington State, etc.

For most of us, it's just a check mark to progress into our careers along with our years of experience.
  • DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    arwes wrote: »
    I've got my FAFSA stuff turned in, and I'm waiting to hear back from WGU. According to their tuition calculator, I should be getting a Pell grant. How accurate has that calculator been for you guys?

Are you talking about the FAFSA email they send you with the estimate? If so, mine was dead on but remember that the tuition is for one year, not one term.
  • theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm trying to submit my A+ certification to WGU and I'm not sure what 'verification link' they want. In the email from WGU, it also says to include information "such as number, ID, password, name, etc." It doesn't seem like a very smart idea to give your CompTIA user/password to someone.
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    what they want is just the verification link for your transcripts.

go to the certmetrics site:
    www.certmetrics.com/comptia

Click New Transcript

once your done setting all that stuff up you see something like this displayed on your transcript page:

Transcript ID dropdown
    Language
    Email address: *who ever you want to recieve the verification link such as your WGU email address, you can then forward from there*
    and below it you see the example email such as:

The following is an example of the email that will be sent. If you wish, you can copy the Transcript link and place it in your own email.

Subject:
    CompTIA - Transcript for Paul Swanson

This email was sent because we received a request to have transcript information for Paul Swanson emailed to you.

Please click the following link to view transcript 5XZ3L8TK2JR15DLE:

https://www.certmetrics.com/comptia/public/transcript.aspx?transcript=5XZ3L8TK2JR15DLE

The viewing of this transcript currently expires on July 18, 2013.

http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    I just passed INC1 Natural sciences at my 3rd attemps.... 1st time: 44% 2nd time: 57% 3rd time: 58%
    I'm usually good at school, and I studied for this assessment, but I almost failed it again! Am I stupid or this course is really challenging?
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    @phaneuf1 I'm really good at Science but i only passed that test by 1 point. Its just that hard, I wouldnt worry to much about it. Ya passed and thats what counts.

From my own observations, When watching the webinars for it they repeatedly said "you don't need to memorize this, just know of it" when ever a equation popped up in conversation. Well they are lying. Ya really need to know those equations pretty well. I think that entire class needs to be reworked a little bit.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)