Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    That's really pretty subjective. I think in the long term their own program (if done properly) will be received better than a bunch of certs, but it really depends on how well them implement it.

The ironic thing is I really think a lot of the IT students pick WGU because of all the certs they will get along the way.

IMHO, the best of both worlds would be WGU continues to offer the bigger/more recognized certs (CCNA level, CompTIA), **** the junk certs (CIW, MTA) and does most of the program on their own.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For me, I believe certs look better, on top of the degree. I say this because it shows that the school taught you enough to become certified, so possible employers could have a grasp on what an individual will know. But then again, people could ****. I also say this because someone taking the same class from two different schools will have a different level of understanding, depending on the teachers curriculum. One school might have a shitty teacher who passes everyone regardless, and the other one could be extremely ****.
  • Options
    raptorclaw69raptorclaw69 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just completed the application and now have access to my portal. I will take some time this weekend to do the assessment tests.
  • Options
    networknubbinnetworknubbin Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just in the process of trying to get in via Referral, and it seems they've changed their process. The coverage is only $40 of the $65, and we now need all of the referrer's (sp?) information. See image:
    http://i.imgur.com/Ga57gOB.png

Based on what I've read earlier in the thread, this is a new change, no?
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    The coverage is only $40 of the $65, and we now need all of the referrer's (sp?) information. See image:
    http://i.imgur.com/Ga57gOB.png
    It seems to me that the active, referring student is the one who fills out the form, not the other way around.
  • Options
    You'd think that, but the form above it is "your" information, which includes "when do you plan on enrolling" "what program do you wish to enroll in" etc.
  • Options
    Also note the "please provide information on the person that referred you" in the text above the fields.
  • Options
    I didn't look at your image when I made that post. This is a different form than I had originally looked at a few days ago on the site... OR they changed it.
  • Options
    :\ Not sure I'm going to find anyone to refer me who's OK with me having their mailing address
  • Options
    Well, this program was initially created to refer "friends & family". It seems like they are attempting measures to, once again, get it back to what it's supposed to be.
  • Options
    It does look that way, oh well. It could be a lot worse than $65...
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Anyone whose completed AHV1 - Should I even bother actually doing the WileyPLUS course? I found it to be garbage for the 70-680 exam.

I'm thinking about using other resources to prepare, and then going back and taking the quizes in WileyPlus..

any thoughts?
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    From the student portal for referrals, its the same but it does look like they changed it form 65 to 40. We enter the name of the student wanting the referral, then all our information to WGU, we don't give it to potential referrals.

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5clqrq80x5s7p9/ref.png
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    @Darthn3ss

It's not that good and I believe is not up to date for R2.

I used Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-640), MCTS 70-640 Cert Guide: Windows Server 2008 AD Config, cbtnuggets, and lab using my own server and hyper-v.

My mentor required that I take the quizzes in Wiley and talk to the course mentor befure she would get me voucher though.

Failed my first attempt and passed my second, good luck!
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    nosoup4u wrote: »
    @Darthn3ss

It's not that good and I believe is not up to date for R2.

I used Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-640), MCTS 70-640 Cert Guide: Windows Server 2008 AD Config, cbtnuggets, and lab using my own server and hyper-v.

My mentor required that I take the quizzes in Wiley and talk to the course mentor befure she would get me voucher though.

Failed my first attempt and passed my second, good luck!
    thanks

I think I'm going to give the Don Poulton book a chance, it was fantastic for 70-780... The official guide isn't available on Kindle :/
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you guys going through EVERYTHING before you request approval to take the assessment?
    Some of the classes are simply cake walks and I dont want to do all of the assignments when I know I can easily pass the exam.
    ex CUV1
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    olaHalo wrote: »
    Are you guys going through EVERYTHING before you request approval to take the assessment?
    Some of the classes are simply cake walks and I dont want to do all of the assignments when I know I can easily pass the exam.
    ex CUV1

A lot of that depends on your mentor and your relationship with him/her. I did more in some classes than in others, but I never I did all of the steps in any of them. WGU is really about showing your competence (i.e. ability to pass the test) more than anything else.

My mentor's philosophy has been, "I'll keep trusting you to tell me when you are ready so long as you keep passing"; but I think had I failed even once it would have been a very different experience.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    PurpleIT wrote: »
    A lot of that depends on your mentor and your relationship with him/her. I did more in some classes than in others, but I never I did all of the steps in any of them. WGU is really about showing your competence (i.e. ability to pass the test) more than anything else.

My mentor's philosophy has been, "I'll keep trusting you to tell me when you are ready so long as you keep passing"; but I think had I failed even once it would have been a very different experience.
    I see. Thanks for the input
    I actually just got off the phone with my mentor. He seems sorta conservative in that I should take the normal amount of time with each course.
    However it wasnt too hard to convince him to approve my "request for approval" to take the exam lol (Just started last week).
    I did only about 1/3 of the coursework but passed the practice exams with very well.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ex CUV1

I have never once gone through all of the material in a course, with the exception of the undergrad math courses. I'm not strong in mathematics so I really did need the extra help. Everything else, I took the pre-assess, looked at my weak points, studied those, pre-assessed once more, and sat the test. When it came to Taskstream asessments, I just would write what I need to write and submit. Since it's competency based, no sense in going over stuff you already know.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    I have never once gone through all of the material in a course, with the exception of the undergrad math courses. I'm not strong in mathematics so I really did need the extra help. Everything else, I took the pre-assess, looked at my weak points, studied those, pre-assessed once more, and sat the test. When it came to Taskstream asessments, I just would write what I need to write and submit. Since it's competency based, no sense in going over stuff you already know.
    Thanks
    I was not having fun going over 50 or so "learning tests" when I already understood the material
  • Options
    ITdude84ITdude84 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys newer member here. I am also interested in WGU. I am interesting in two programs the school has to offer. BS in Network Administration, and the BS in security. Now, I do not have a whole lot of experience in both areas, I have my AS degree in Information technology, and hold a a+. (Currently working on my net+)

Here are my questions:

1.) Which program path do you recommend for a mid level career guy ( I have always shown a interest in both networking & security)
    2.) How hard is the security path?
    3.) Is it worth taking some certs before applying to the school so they transfer?

any input would be appreciated.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ex CUV1

Many times i go through the book material just to make sure what i know is inline with what is being taught. Ive had definitions or terms understood over time in the industry as soemthing a bit different or completely different that may have caused me to miss something on the exam. I don't take notes or sit there watching videos over and over again to make sure i know it either. Once im done reading, I move on to the practice tests to see what if anything im weak on in the subject matter.
  • Options
    Nemowolf wrote: »
    Many times i go through the book material just to make sure what i know is inline with what is being taught. Ive had definitions or terms understood over time in the industry as soemthing a bit different or completely different that may have caused me to miss something on the exam. I don't take notes or sit there watching videos over and over again to make sure i know it either. Once im done reading, I move on to the practice tests to see what if anything im weak on in the subject matter.
    Yeah I think Im gonna take a similar approach.
    Brief reading of the material (or just summaries of the material)
    See how I do on the practice exam and go from there.
  • Options
    ITdude84 wrote: »
    Hey guys newer member here. I am also interested in WGU. I am interesting in two programs the school has to offer. BS in Network Administration, and the BS in security. Now, I do not have a whole lot of experience in both areas, I have my AS degree in Information technology, and hold a a+. (Currently working on my net+)

Here are my questions:

1.) Which program path do you recommend for a mid level career guy ( I have always shown a interest in both networking & security)
    2.) How hard is the security path?
    3.) Is it worth taking some certs before applying to the school so they transfer?

any input would be appreciated.

?? help please
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    ITdude84,

1.The BS in Network Administration is more server administration then network administration while the security track is security focus and has a true network part as well. So the question is are you interested in a degree for server administration "BS in Network Administration" or networking and security "BS in IT with emphases on security.

2. Hard is relative to how interested you are in the subject and how much experience you already have in these areas. So no one will be able to tell you if one is harder then the other and give a honest answer on how you will do.

3. This question has been asked many time. I would say you are better off taking it through WGU they will provide you pay for your first two attempt at each certification exam as part of you normal tuition.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    WolvendeerWolvendeer Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the process of scheduling the MTA Database Administration Fundamentals. I found that the book was less than adequate for the practice exam (and was a pain besides), and because of this, I took longer than I had expected in completing this course. Are all of the MTA exams this difficult? If so, is there anything you guys would recommend to be better prepared for these? I'm on the security track, so I should only have two left.

Also, I'm thinking about going for KET1 next. How is it? I've heard it's difficult, but I've also heard you only have to do the task streams to pass the class, so how hard could it be? I have a lot of programming experience (mostly scripting languages), and I'm pretty gifted with picking up new languages. Is this class someone with programming experience would be able to pass easily?
  • Options
    raptorclaw69raptorclaw69 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was informed that I passed the assessment tests. No joke, they were tougher than I expected. Any future students please do not take them lightly.
  • Options
    cissptstcissptst Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello, I'm from Afghanistan and the school system here is from class 1 to 12 then you will graduation certificate to allow you for university. But i studied up to class 10. now my question is how can i get admission for bachelors degree, what are the ways, options?? I have over 5 years of experience as a Network and Security Manager. Please see the certification i have completed,

CCIE-R&S Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (Routing & Switching), Lab Attempted 2 times

CCIE - Security (Currently preparing)

CCNP-Sec Cisco Certified Security Professional (Security) Not certified
    CCNA-Sec Cisco Certified Network Associate (Security) Not certified

CCNP-R&S Cisco Certified Network Professional (Routing & Switching) - Certified
    CCNA -R&S Cisco Certified Network Associate (Routing & Switching) - Certified

MCITP Microsoft Certified IT Professional - Not certified
    CEH Not certified
    CCSA Not certified

ITIL v3 Foundation - Certified
    ITIL v3 Operational Support & Analysis (OSA) Not certified
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    KET1 is being revamped, apparently for the MUCH better. It was so unorganized.
    Wolvendeer wrote: »
    I'm in the process of scheduling the MTA Database Administration Fundamentals. I found that the book was less than adequate for the practice exam (and was a pain besides), and because of this, I took longer than I had expected in completing this course. Are all of the MTA exams this difficult? If so, is there anything you guys would recommend to be better prepared for these? I'm on the security track, so I should only have two left.

Also, I'm thinking about going for KET1 next. How is it? I've heard it's difficult, but I've also heard you only have to do the task streams to pass the class, so how hard could it be? I have a lot of programming experience (mostly scripting languages), and I'm pretty gifted with picking up new languages. Is this class someone with programming experience would be able to pass easily?
  • Options
    Bundiman wrote: »
    ITdude84,

1.The BS in Network Administration is more server administration then network administration while the security track is security focus and has a true network part as well. So the question is are you interested in a degree for server administration "BS in Network Administration" or networking and security "BS in IT with emphases on security.

2. Hard is relative to how interested you are in the subject and how much experience you already have in these areas. So no one will be able to tell you if one is harder then the other and give a honest answer on how you will do.

3. This question has been asked many time. I would say you are better off taking it through WGU they will provide you pay for your first two attempt at each certification exam as part of you normal tuition.

Thank you for the answers bundiman. I have no experience in network security, and a very little on network administration. I have a interest in security, I just dont want to get way in over my head. Looking for suggestions.