Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    WolvendeerWolvendeer Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cissptst wrote: »
    Hello, I'm from Afghanistan and the school system here is from class 1 to 12 then you will graduation certificate to allow you for university. But i studied up to class 10. now my question is how can i get admission for bachelors degree, what are the ways, options?? I have over 5 years of experience as a Network and Security Manager. Please see the certification i have completed,

Are you currently living in Afghanistan? WGU is currently only accepting admissions from the US (and its territories or military overseas) and Canada. If you live in the US, all you have to do is call the admissions department. They'll ask you to take an easy admissions test and submit your resume. Your certifications would let you transfer in some credits so you wouldn't have as large a workload.
  • Options
    cissptstcissptst Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you Wolvendeer for your reply. No i don't live in Afghanistan anymore. I'm in europe now. so WGU is not for international students. that is sad
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is mindedgeonline working for anyone? I put a lot of time aside to study tonight and it doesn't work in any browser.

Thanks
  • Options
    I don't trust Wiley any more. It did nothing for me with the exception of wasting my time. Any course from now on that uses it I will be buying my own book for. Screw that.
    Darthn3ss wrote: »
    Anyone whose completed AHV1 - Should I even bother actually doing the WileyPLUS course? I found it to be garbage for the 70-680 exam.

I'm thinking about using other resources to prepare, and then going back and taking the quizes in WileyPlus..

any thoughts?
  • Options
    Does anyone have a mentor that approves requests on weekends? I totally forgot to ask for approval for a pre assessment and now I have to probably wait until Monday to get it done. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    neemo6neemo6 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im seriously considering going to WGU-Indiana since I live in Indiana. I going to be graduating and receiving my Associates in Computer Info Systems. I would like to get my Bachelors in Software development. I currently have my CIW web associate cert and the CompTIA Network+ cert. I would like to know if anyone from the Software development program enjoy and what they think of the courses? Also I see that they list many certifications that can be had through this program. Do some courses have multiple certifications because there seems like quite a bit of certifications listed. Also how many classes do you guys recommend to take at a given term. Currently I work full time, travel alot for my work, and Im taking 13 credit hours (5 classes) to finish up my current degree and this is a bit too much to handle. I know wgu doesnt use credit hours thus my question.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Jasiono You can contact student services, that's how I always worked around that.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    ^ Thanks Hypntick, I will keep that in mind for next time.

Another question. How long does it take usually, after clicking on "Begin Now", to get enrolled into the class via taskstream? I clicked to begin an hour ago and taskstream states that I'm not enrolled in anything.

This is my first time using taskstream, and the last (not considering the capstone project)
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    Last time when I clicked it I had to wait a little while (roughly 24hrs), It's usually pretty quick though - fastest it ever appears for me was 5 minutes
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    Alrighty!
    Thanks
  • Options
    Whoever finished IWT1, I was wondering what two periods you used in your essay. I was thinking about going with Classic and Neoclassicism. I just want two easy periods to write about so I can get this course over with.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used Neoclassicism and Romanticism. They were fairly easy to compare and contrast for the essay.
  • Options
    I managed to get impressionism and post impressionism. Seems easy. I was thinking about neoclassicism and classical roman at one point.

I just dumped a page of notes just for impressionism onto a sheet of paper. Hopefully I can get a page worth of typed up essay out of it.
  • Options
    Is an originality score of 0% good? I haven't cited anything in my report yet and put it through to see how turnitin worked. The report said my originality score is 0%.

It sounds awkward to me and I wanted to make sure. Sounds like my originality is 0% and I didn't come up with my own paragraphs at all.
  • Options
    It's the opposite, 0% is good, there should be a scale at the top telling you what the percentage means. Ideally you want it to be 0% or under 30%, however some classes use templates so that's not always the case. Even less so with Tech/Cap, you will get an originality score of like 50% or higher due to re-using your own work.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Even less so with Tech/Cap, you will get an originality score of like 50% or higher due to re-using your own work.

Forgetting, that I had used a lot of my tech writing paper for my capstone, I had quite the shock when I saw over 50% matching for my capstone :D
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    Jasiono wrote: »
    ^ Thanks Hypntick, I will keep that in mind for next time.

Another question. How long does it take usually, after clicking on "Begin Now", to get enrolled into the class via taskstream? I clicked to begin an hour ago and taskstream states that I'm not enrolled in anything.

This is my first time using taskstream, and the last (not considering the capstone project)

You still have several classes listed the you are going to need taskstream for KET1 and KFT1 are changing but you will still submit your work through it and those are just two that I know of off the top of my head.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    Thanks again for clearing that up.

I forgot about kft and ket changing.

I added more stuff into my paper and now it's at 7% I had a sentence that was being half flagged with work submitted to another school and a phrase being tagged as someones work turned in at wgu.

This is great. Taskstream is great.

I love wikipedia too.
  • Options
    Anyone know how quickly taskstream has been grading papers lately? Turned one in two days ago and still waiting and by the sounds of it I am glad they gave me credit for IWC1 and IWT1.
  • Options
    Generally after the 15th is when they slow down due to the influx of everyone submitting. Most people are in a rush to submit by the 15th in order to meet end of term deadlines. Generally if I submitted after the 15th, I expected to wait 5 full business days to hear anything back.
  • Options
    Oh joy. I was going to ask the same thing.

My essay skills really suck in topics that I have no interest in and I just turned in my humanities essay. I hope they are easy graders in that topic, seeing as I can't really get into the humanities.

Next up, powerpoint.

IWT1
    I need help coming up with a topic. I was thinking about technology since it pertains to my career. I don't know what literature explains technology.
  • Options
    Actually nevermind. I was going to go with "A talk to teachers", the movie American History X and a song about someone growing up in a certain environment, how it molds the person as they grow up to have different morals.

I'm going to put emphasis on the fact that the school system is not the only thing that effects how a person grows up to be, but it's also the environment in which they grow up. Parents needs to take responsibility and not just shove the blame into the school system. I see it happening a lot.
  • Options
    Jasiono, Have you gotten you essay back yet? was it a 3 or 5 point rubric?
  • Options
    Just got the essay back, 3 point rubric!

It needs revision. I did not really explain how events influenced post impressionism and I only used 1 citation.

Another question: When submitting revisions, do they grade it quicker or will I have to wait the same amount of time as I did with the initial submission?

Even though I'm not citing throughout the essay since I don't copy things verbatim, should I still cite the websites I obtained the information from in my citations at the end of the essay?
  • Options
    When you re-submit, the same time frame applies. Doesn't matter how many times you re-submit, you still start over at the back of the line.
  • Options
    I wonder if the same person will get the paper that originally looked at it.

I just need to ad 2 paragraphs describing the later art period in more detail and the social influences.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    I wonder if the same person will get the paper that originally looked at it.

I just need to ad 2 paragraphs describing the later art period in more detail and the social influences.

yea once a grader grabs it the same grader gets for rework
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Even though I'm not citing throughout the essay since I don't copy things verbatim, should I still cite the websites I obtained the information from in my citations at the end of the essay?

Technically yes. Even if you're just paraphrasing, you should cite them both inline and on your references list.

Purdue OWL: APA Formatting and Style Guide
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hey guys...

So I finally got the Okay to start EWB, but I still haven't been assigned a mentor..

Question is there extra you can get transferred in if they missed it? I am seeing Operating Systems CSV1 as not attempted... but its saying I will need to pass the 70-680 for that class. I passed that in November and sent it with my last month transcripts... is this just an oversite? Or are there some things that may have to be tweaked once my mentor is on the scene?
  • Options
    you need to make sure you have all of your transcripts accepted before you accept the AAV once thats done you will have a harder time getting it added. Make sure you call the transcript office and keep on them.