Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    kelleycl22kelleycl22 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kcaliva01 wrote: »
    I've started the application and enrolment process for WGU. The enrollment counselor emailed me with info on how to verify my CCNA. If I'm not mistaken they are asking for my login and password in addition to my individual Cisco ID. Did anyone feel uneasy giving out a password through email?
    Lol. Yes, they do ask for that and I thought it was a trick question. You can log on to CompTIA and Cisco sites and provide a verification link to WGU. Never provide your password to anyone.
  • Options
    mo225mo225 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i might have to apply here
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Hi all!

I actually have 2 associates degrees. Can I transfer both towards the Bachelors programs? I]If anyone knows[/I

I have 1 in Network Technologies and it seems when I applied to graduate with that one I got a secondary in the mail for General Education (Didn't realize I had all my Gen' Eds done) which I verified is legit with them and I met the qualifications.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would call them and ask, but my guess is that they'll look at all the classes you have taken as a whole rather than just one degree and then apply the credits based on that and which classes you don't need to take anymore.
  • Options
    rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello All, I was wondering if the certifications on the website was the only certs we will be getting during the duration of the college experience? I am thinking of just doing BSIT but saw that the BSIT security has a CCNA voucher.
    WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
    Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA
  • Options
    markovianmarkovian Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have any of you used a TI nspire CX calculator for WGU exams? I can't seem to find a clear answer if this is an allowed calculator for the exams or not.
  • Options
    krayskrays Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    markovian wrote: »
    Have any of you used a TI nspire CX calculator for WGU exams? I can't seem to find a clear answer if this is an allowed calculator for the exams or not.

As long as it isn't the CAS version then you should be fine.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    About to start up Foundations of College Math.

Comparable to Finite Math? Easier, harder?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    sung129sung129 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You would have to go through transfer recredit process to know what you can get credited.

you can get credits for certifications.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    rj1790 wrote: »
    Hello All, I was wondering if the certifications on the website was the only certs we will be getting during the duration of the college experience? I am thinking of just doing BSIT but saw that the BSIT security has a CCNA voucher.

The certs listed are the only certs offered.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    SteveLord wrote: »
    About to start up Foundations of College Math.

Comparable to Finite Math? Easier, harder?

I thought it was about the same. Finite math was smaller in scope but more difficult material. Foundations should be mostly remedial if you took high school algebra and geometry. As long as you have a decent calculator, you should be fine, maybe 10 hours on Khan Academy at worst.
  • Options
    jon35620jon35620 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys,

I'm new here. I am in the Air National Guard so let me preface this by saying I have a civilian job and Guard job. I would like to know if anyone here has gotten credit from CCAF for a speech class from WGU? or how can I go about checking to see if they do ??? I've looked everywhere for the answer to this but cannot find it. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place though. I am about to start working on finishing my Bachelors Degree at WGU , but would like to simultaneously complete my CCAF, and the only thing missing is speech. I have already attempted the CLEP and failed. Yes I could take it again, but I prefer to take a full speech course. So my main question is if I take a speech class at WGU will CCAF accept it? Or is it best to take the speech class at another college and just pay outright for that class? Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
  • Options
    jimit.desaijimit.desai Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

I am currently deciding on a certification to meet the admission requirements for either BSIT or BSIT-Network degree program. I have a few questions that I would really appreciate your help with:

1. Does anyone know how many credits does each of these certifications are worth? CompTIA A+ / N+ / Security+ / Project+

2. Which entry level certifications worth the most credits would you recommend? CompTIA/Cisco/MTA

3. I am currently in a Non-IT field and going back to school to change careers. I would like out of my current role and in some kind of IT field asap. Which certifications should I start with to move jobs without any prior IT experience? It would it would also be helpful if you would suggest a progression of suggested certifications. I am thinking - CompTIA A+ >> Net+ >> Sec+ >> Project+

Thank you very much for your time and assistance,

Jimit.
  • Options
    BoxxerBoxxer Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

I am currently deciding on a certification to meet the admission requirements for either BSIT or BSIT-Network degree program. I have a few questions that I would really appreciate your help with:

1. Does anyone know how many credits does each of these certifications are worth? CompTIA A+ / N+ / Security+ / Project+

2. Which entry level certifications worth the most credits would you recommend? CompTIA/Cisco/MTA

3. I am currently in a Non-IT field and going back to school to change careers. I would like out of my current role and in some kind of IT field asap. Which certifications should I start with to move jobs without any prior IT experience? It would it would also be helpful if you would suggest a progression of suggested certifications. I am thinking - CompTIA A+ >> Net+ >> Sec+ >> Project+

Thank you very much for your time and assistance,

Jimit.

A+ = 8 CU (credits)
    Net+ = 4 CU
    Security+ = 4 CU
    Project+ = 6 CU

The A+ certification is a must have to start your IT career change. You can likely get an entry job with that cert imo. If you want to get into WGU, you need to have at least 1 transferable certification since you don't have any IT experience or you may not get in.
  • Options
    jimit.desaijimit.desai Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Boxxer wrote: »
    A+ = 8 CU (credits)
    Net+ = 4 CU
    Security+ = 4 CU
    Project+ = 6 CU

The A+ certification is a must have to start your IT career change. You can likely get an entry job with that cert imo. If you want to get into WGU, you need to have at least 1 transferable certification since you don't have any IT experience or you may not get in.

Thank you very much! This was very helpful. One more question for you, Someone just starting out now and may be done is next 2 years or so, what degree program do you recommend? I am wondering if BSIT (Genral) is the way to go as I cant seem to decide between, Network/Security/Soft Dev. They all seem equally interesting to me, I am also confident that I am capable of getting thru any of these.

Thanks again,

JD.
  • Options
    BSIT would be the fastest you could complete. The others involve some certifications that practically require labs and a lot of study time. I am going for BSIT and can get those certs on my own time whenever.
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey guys
    Looking to enroll in WGU next year for a Masters in Information Technology Management and would love to hear feedback from any current students (esp Grad students) about how they like it. Would anyone in the forums know the difference between the Masters and the MBA?
    Thanks
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    mzx380 wrote: »
    Hey guys
    Looking to enroll in WGU next year for a Masters in Information Technology Management and would love to hear feedback from any current students (esp Grad students) about how they like it. Would anyone in the forums know the difference between the Masters and the MBA?
    Thanks

It was a hard program mostly due to the amount of research papers involved but it was worth it over all. I cant speak for the MBA but the masters of IT management has helped me get a much better job than i would have gotten with out it.

note no certs are really in that degree so you can do it fairly fast and get the certs you want after.
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you for your input @demonfurbie it is appreciated. I am seriously looking into the MS in IT management and would love to know more from you and anyone else who has taken it.
    How long did it take you to complete your degree?
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    AndrewJayAndrewJay Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jon35620 wrote: »
    Hey guys,I'm new here. I am in the Air National Guard so let me preface this by saying I have a civilian job and Guard job. I would like to know if anyone here has gotten credit from CCAF for a speech class from WGU? or how can I go about checking to see if they do ??? I've looked everywhere for the answer to this but cannot find it. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place though. I am about to start working on finishing my Bachelors Degree at WGU , but would like to simultaneously complete my CCAF, and the only thing missing is speech. I have already attempted the CLEP and failed. Yes I could take it again, but I prefer to take a full speech course. So my main question is if I take a speech class at WGU will CCAF accept it? Or is it best to take the speech class at another college and just pay outright for that class? Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
    WGU is a regionally accredited school, so I don't see why it wouldn't. I'd call your education center, and find out for sure. I did mine online through BYU, and it was pretty easy. It's been a while, but I would imagine if you can get TA though AFVEC while enrolled in CCAF, it should count.
  • Options
    lbooglboog Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

I'm interested in attending WGU however I'm unsure of exactly which program to pick. I'd like to get as many credits for my cert as possible. I current have an associates degree in Liberal Arts and a MS certification. MCTS SQL 2008 70-448. IF anyone can tell me what the best route would be and what credits this would take the place of would be helpful. Added Note: I'm also in the medical field.
    -thanks
  • Options
    lboog wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm interested in attending WGU however I'm unsure of exactly which program to pick. I'd like to get as many credits for my cert as possible. I current have an associates degree in Liberal Arts and a MS certification. MCTS SQL 2008 70-448. IF anyone can tell me what the best route would be and what credits this would take the place of would be helpful. Added Note: I'm also in the medical field.
    -thanks
    With a AA degree that will wipe out almost all your General Education classes. It really depends on what Path in IT you want to be in. Different paths have different certifications. I'm starting the Security Emphasis in June transferring an AA in Liberal Arts and a A+.
  • Options
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    I thought it was about the same. Finite math was smaller in scope but more difficult material. Foundations should be mostly remedial if you took high school algebra and geometry. As long as you have a decent calculator, you should be fine, maybe 10 hours on Khan Academy at worst.

You were right. Heck, I thought it was easier actually. I took the preassessment and got 78% and then with an hour or so of studying, got an 83% on the final. All within the same week. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    iaslam18iaslam18 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone,

I will be enrolled in WGU for BSIT. Does anyone know how many Performance Assessments and Objective Assessments are there. I know for certifications will have go at pearson vue testing centers.

Any idea would be appreciated.
  • Options
    lbooglboog Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

Quick questions..when looking at the transfer credit guide, am I correct in assuming when it states "Sql Server 2008/2012", they mean either a cert in sql 2008 OR sql 2012 will give you class credit or do they mean you need a cert in both 2008 and 2012 to gain class credit?
  • Options
    DWitherDWither Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im looking into getting into WGU . But want to know the best way to go about getting admitted as far as the requirements go. I work in Tech Support for Verizon Wireless now been there for about 5 months. I am taking my a+ with in the month. So ill wait until i get my a+ to apply.

So basically less than a year of IT exp with an a+ and no previous college . How do i up my chances of getting accepted. What other certs should i go for
  • Options
    DWither wrote: »
    Im looking into getting into WGU . But want to know the best way to go about getting admitted as far as the requirements go. I work in Tech Support for Verizon Wireless now been there for about 5 months. I am taking my a+ with in the month. So ill wait until i get my a+ to apply.

So basically less than a year of IT exp with an a+ and no previous college . How do i up my chances of getting accepted. What other certs should i go for
    Having your A+ pretty much will get you admitted.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438

Honestly. I would apply before hand.

They very well might let you in prior to taking your A+ and if so then you can bang out your first class in a few days, and get the voucher included with your tuition.
  • Options
    DWitherDWither Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rj1790 wrote: »
    Having your A+ pretty much will get you admitted.

The way they make the requirements looked like I would have needed more than an a+
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    The way they make the requirements looked like I would have needed more than an a+

I had ZERO certs when I applied. However I had been working in IT for over a year and I had previous college experience. A co-worker had a Bachelors in something else and he took the A+ and was admitted after being denied initially without the A+. I think you need 1 or the other, a current cert or actual experience in IT.