Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That is cool! Do you also get to keep your WGU e-mail?

My WGU email is still active, and I graduated last month. My term officially ended 7/31.

I'm not sure how long it will last, though.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have my weekly call with my mentor in about 45 minutes. I will definitely ask how long we keep our WGU e-mail. I was under the impression that it would be lifetime though. Many alumni from various schools use their alma mater's e-mail for resumes and things like that. I know some will get an "alumni" designation in the email ie. me@alumni.blah.edu or some thing like that.

I will either find out or confirm from my talk with him.

Update: Mentor wasn't exactly sure about the e-mail, but he will find out and will get back to me. He thought maybe it was a year, but he will look into it. (He's usually pretty good at getting back to me when he says he will).

I also got my webcam and will hopefully move BBC1 to the courses completed section next weekend. He's sending me MeasureUp exams for TSV1.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I never requested the WebCam but it came in the mail yesterday. I guess they are trying to encourage us to start using that option?

I actually prefer just going to the testing center at my local Greenville Tech.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    erpadmin wrote: »
    . . .
    Update: Mentor wasn't exactly sure about the e-mail, but he will find out and will get back to me. He thought maybe it was a year, but he will look into it. (He's usually pretty good at getting back to me when he says he will).

I'd be surprised if Google is limiting that yet, but who knows.

As far as library benefits. . . Excelsior College gives access to encyclopedias and other online library resources to their alumni. Seems like a natural idea for WGU, given they like referrals.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I never requested the WebCam but it came in the mail yesterday. I guess they are trying to encourage us to start using that option?

I actually prefer just going to the testing center at my local Greenville Tech.
    I think you can just send it back if you'd rather not use that system. They should really have the mentors initiate the process of sending those out so that people like you don't have the bother of sending it back.
    That could probably be a good suggestion for the WGU faculty.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    I think you can just send it back if you'd rather not use that system. They should really have the mentors initiate the process of sending those out so that people like you don't have the bother of sending it back.
    That could probably be a good suggestion for the WGU faculty.

I found this article while I was doing research on the kryterion camera. (Thought it was odd that you didn't need drivers for it, but I guess for folks who aren't technical, this is a good solution). The future of online proctoring seems to be heading toward cameras, which I for one find ideal. I like that I don't have to leave my house and I can make sure I'm not disturbed.

Government to Require Distance Education Spy Cameras
  • Options
    As for the WGU system how do they even know that the person taking the test is the actual student? From the student ID picture, if the student has one (I still don't)
    I still think it would be more secure and a deterent to cheating to have students go to a testing center.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if Google is limiting that yet, but who knows.

As far as library benefits. . . Excelsior College gives access to encyclopedias and other online library resources to their alumni. Seems like a natural idea for WGU, given they like referrals.

My job was considering using Google for students/alumni, but I think we're going to go toward Microsoft's Live edu option when we finally get to Exchange and off the antiquated VAX system. I am almost sure it's going to be lifetime for grads, but not entirely sure.

I can't see WGU killing stuff like email for grads though. Especially given that they seem to have a decent career services group that would advocate using the email. I don't plan on using it, as I think those groups are great for finding folks entry-level jobs, but it is another resource should it be needed.
  • Options
    neuropolneuropol Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found this article while I was doing research on the kryterion camera. (Thought it was odd that you didn't need drivers for it, but I guess for folks who aren't technical, this is a good solution). The future of online proctoring seems to be heading toward cameras, which I for one find ideal. I like that I don't have to leave my house and I can make sure I'm not disturbed.

Government to Require Distance Education Spy Cameras

That story is a couple years old now, so i guess the legislation failed? Also, coming from a conspiracy type site, I'm not sure how much stock I'd place in it anyway.
  • Options
    As for the WGU system how do they even know that the person taking the test is the actual student? From the student ID picture, if the student has one (I still don't)
    I still think it would be more secure and a deterent to cheating to have students go to a testing center.

I was just talking to the mentor about that.

When I have to take my test, I have to take a picture of myself with the camera. Then I have to do keystroke analysis (which I'm not a big fan of, but hey, whatever). I do have a picture with WGU and a WGU ID so it will match. My mentor even knows what I look like. (It's the same photo as in my WGU avatar in the communities....the "mug-shot" LOL). I never smile for those things....lmao.

And not for nothing, if people are going to ****, they will try anywhere; be it at home, at a testing center, wherever. I am totally a big fan of convenience. I do agree with going to a place like Prometric test centers for cert exams. But for other exams, they get to see what's going on with the webcam...a clear desk, and you making sure you're on the up and up. But you can bet your last dollar that when I pass something, I earn the *blank* out of that *blank*-*blank(er)*.
  • Options
    From my mentor:

"WGU e-mail address is for life and as long as you constantly use it, meaning don’t let it go inactive than it will be active for life. If for some reason it is turned off because of inactivity, then you can always call IT and they can reactivate it for you. This is what I was being told by the student services department."
  • Options
    neuropol wrote: »
    That story is a couple years old now, so i guess the legislation failed? Also, coming from a conspiracy type site, I'm not sure how much stock I'd place in it anyway.

President Bush signed the legislation into law on August 14th, 2008.

About.com seems to be a bit more credible. :)

"Most notably, the College Opportunity and Affordability Act requires online colleges receiving federal funds to ensure that the student enrolled in college is the person actually completing the coursework. Critics have speculated that this law will threaten student privacy."

The College Opportunity and Affordability Act of 2008 - Learn How the College Opportunity and Affordability Act Affects You
  • Options
    My job was considering using Google for students/alumni, but I think we're going to go toward Microsoft's Live edu option when we finally get to Exchange and off the antiquated VAX system. I am almost sure it's going to be lifetime for grads, but not entirely sure.

I can't see WGU killing stuff like email for grads though. Especially given that they seem to have a decent career services group that would advocate using the email. I don't plan on using it, as I think those groups are great for finding folks entry-level jobs, but it is another resource should it be needed.
    As for the career services I've been using that and it has pretty much nothing as far as entry level IT. They actually have a lot of listings for more experienced people.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From my mentor:

"WGU e-mail address is for life and as long as you constantly use it, meaning don’t let it go inactive than it will be active for life. If for some reason it is turned off because of inactivity, then you can always call IT and they can reactivate it for you. This is what I was being told by the student services department."

Very Cool!
  • Options
    President Bush signed the legislation in law on August 14th, 2008.

About.com seems to be a bit more credible. :)

"Most notably, the College Opportunity and Affordability Act requires online colleges receiving federal funds to ensure that the student enrolled in college is the person actually completing the coursework. Critics have speculated that this law will threaten student privacy."

The College Opportunity and Affordability Act of 2008 - Learn How the College Opportunity and Affordability Act Affects You

Indeed it is. :)
  • Options
    madmanmuromadmanmuro Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What is the level of Math required for the BS IT. It looks like the highest math is QLT1. Is this a calculus course or is any calculus class needed? I'm only up to Statistics in my math career.
  • Options
    It's just college algebra and a little statistics. Nothing really hard from what I've heard.
  • Options
    Thanks for that reply. Looks like I will be in good shape as far as the math is concerned. One more question on my mind. Is there a maximum amount of Certs that can be transferred in. It seems I would be able to transfer in with most of the certs and my AA and only need to take a few classes to graduate. I don't see anything against this but it just seems to me like they would not allow it. I am already enrolled in another school this semester and I think I can do a lot of the certs while I am doing this. I want to be sure not to go over the limit of transferable certs.
  • Options
    Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    I signed up for all the information ie(mail-email) etc...

Called several times and was never called back. Emailed counselor personally... never got back icon_sad.gif

I guess they are just busy at the moment ?
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
  • Options
    Unforg1ven wrote: »

Called several times and was never called back. Emailed counselor personally... never got back icon_sad.gif

I am hearing that the number of enrollment has been shooting up, so it's quite possible they're being overwhelmed. You can always call the Admissions/Enrollment department and ask to speak to a supervisor.

Unless you had started the enrollment process earlier and all of your transcripts, etc. came through, you're probably going to look at a October start date, as opposed to a September one. Might not be such a bad deal though.

I would definitely keep trying. The one thing to keep in mind is that you only have to deal with enrollment once. After that it's just passing EWB, which is literally a one day affair (no need to drag that out for a week, but you will need 7-9 hours to complete it).
  • Options
    madmanmuro wrote: »
    Thanks for that reply. Looks like I will be in good shape as far as the math is concerned. One more question on my mind. Is there a maximum amount of Certs that can be transferred in. It seems I would be able to transfer in with most of the certs and my AA and only need to take a few classes to graduate. I don't see anything against this but it just seems to me like they would not allow it. I am already enrolled in another school this semester and I think I can do a lot of the certs while I am doing this. I want to be sure not to go over the limit of transferable certs.
    They have a limit on the total amunt of credits that can be transferred. It's around 70%
  • Options
    They have a limit on the total amunt of credits that can be transferred. It's around 70%

Any idea what would happen if I had more credits than this? Would I have to retake some cert tests that I already have?
  • Options
    uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    Any idea what would happen if I had more credits than this? Would I have to retake some cert tests that I already have?

From my understanding you can transfer all generals (which I mostly did) and all IT certs. What you can't transfer:

Leadership and Professional classes (business content)
    Critical thinking and problem solving

I think those two alone are just shy of 20 credits.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • Options
    uhtrinity wrote: »
    From my understanding you can transfer all generals (which I mostly did) and all IT certs. What you can't transfer:

Leadership and Professional classes (business content)
    Critical thinking and problem solving

I think those two alone are just shy of 20 credits.
    Add in Technical writing and the Capstone and it's around 32 credits.
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Unforg1ven wrote: »

I just personally had a very similar (negative) experience with my enrollment counselor. I had called and sent multiple emails trying to solicit a response.

I finally just called the enrollment department and waited to talk to whoever picked up the phone, and this individual (James) took care of everything to get me set up. My advice is that if you're having issues, just call in and go around whoever is set up as your current enrollment counselor. Every institution has its share of dead wood, and the enrollment department at WGU is no exception. I will say that James was extremely courteous and helpful (not to mention apologetic for the problems that I'd had--he could see all of my communication to the other counselor), so don't give up if you're currently stuck with someone who is not being very helpful.

Also, I did ask James if they were super busy at the moment and he indicated that while they are certainly busy, it doesn't take much time to type back a quick email stating that he'll get back to you at a certain date/time. I agree with him--they just have some counselors that care and some that don't, evidently.

Regardless, good luck with the enrollment process.
  • Options
    Why not list your certs in your details?
    Unless you've been planning on WGU for a while I can assume you also will need to take Project+ and CIW Foundations and possibly JavaScript. Those add another few classes to your list.
  • Options
    uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    Add in Technical writing and the Capstone and it's around 32 credits.

Yeah, forgot those, definitely not transferable. Also portfolio if they require it as before.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • Options
    brwrightbrwright Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have some questions/concerns about WGU. I am interested in their IT program because of the certifications.

Are there actual assignments, or just tests/exams?
    Do they have lectures, or just tell you what to read?
    Can someone further explain the competency based approach?

I have some other questions, but I can't think of them at the moment. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    1) They have objective (take a test > pass the class) and performance (Do assignments)
    2) They have tutorials you can use and some of the IT classes have videos you can watch. The english classes have writing labs and the math classes have math labs. There are no instructors as it is all self taught.
    3) I wont even bother with #3 as it's too hard for me to explain. I don't see the competency approach being different than what any other school would do. One of the primary differences is WGU's grading system which is that if you pass the class it is equivalent to a "B" at a traditional school.
  • Options
    brwright wrote: »
    I have some questions/concerns about WGU. I am interested in their IT program because of the certifications.

Can someone further explain the competency based approach?

I have some other questions, but I can't think of them at the moment. Thanks in advance.

There are no assignments per se, but not every course ends in a test, or "Objective Assessment". Some courses require "Performance Assessments", which are papers, presentations, etc.

They supply some learning resources for each class, but that does not mean you'll always get a text included. There aren't any lectures or class time. You are responsible for learning the material.

The competency based approach is pretty basic. When you know the material you complete the assessment. There are no time requirements. Wether you know the material after one day of study or 30, you complete the assessment and move on to the next course. Hell, they don't even supply learning materials for BBC1, unless you fail the assessment.

I'm still pretty new at WGU, but post if you have any other questions. There are several people here that have been through their programs, or are a good way in.

*edit* or what earweed said. hah.

In my opinion, the competency model differs from a traditional university in a couple major ways. The first is the time requirements. With a traditional university you have to sit through classes wether you know the material or not. The other is that in a traditional university factors other than final assessment are used to determine your course grade. Attendance, class participation, quizzes, and assignments during the course all figure in. In the competence model, only knowledge of the material matters.