Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    brwright wrote: »
    Are there actual assignments, or just tests/exams?
    Yes and Yes. Many classes in the COS (Course of Study...after Education without Boundaries you will learn that term real well, but it's basically a class syllabus) will give you assignments to do. HOWEVER, the only thing that counts is your "assessment", which could a paper/essay, an exam, or in the case of IT, the passed certification that correlates to that class. Some folks will jump straight to the assessment, some will work through the COS to make sure they will pass the assessment. Depends completely on what you're comfortable with.

Do they have lectures, or just tell you what to read?
    Within some classes, you will get video lectures, but they're not interactive. BUT some classes will have schedule webchats and whatnot. For the most part, you will just be told what is to be done for the class, whether it's reading or watching videos.

Can someone further explain the competency based approach?

According to WGU's website, "the academic approach is fundamentally "competency-based" and dedicated to producing highly competent graduates. This means that instead of basing progress on credit hours and seat-time in the classroom, you earn your degree by demonstrating your skills and knowledge (competence) in specific subject areas."

http://www.wgu.edu/admissions/academic_experience_assessment.)

Basically, you earn credit for what you know, not how long you take the class for.

Answers in red. :)
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    3) I wont even bother with #3 as it's too hard for me to explain. I don't see the competency approach being different than what any other school would do. One of the primary differences is WGU's grading system which is that if you pass the class it is equivalent to a "B" at a traditional school.

In a traditional school, attendence counts against you. After 3 absences, you will usually get docked a grade unless you have a real good excuse. In a traditional school, regardless of how well you know the material, assignments are pretty much mandatory. No skipping homework, projects, group study and going straight to the final exam.

For WGU, what you know is what you know (competence). As neuropol said, whether you can do it after one day, or (by your required due date...usually a good several weeks to a couple of months depending on the course, unless it's BBC1, then that's like 1-2 weeks, depending on when the webcam shows up).

Earweed, this assist was more for new students to help better explain what competency is. I figured since my essay mentioned it, might as well share a part of that. :D
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am considering WGU for MS in Information Security and Assurance (starting 01OCT2010, if I don't change my mind). Let me drop my unsolicited $0.02 about these sorts of programs.

1) If you don't have anything as far as post-secondary education, these programs are better than nothing.

2) If you really want to progress in your career, you would definitely be better served by looking for a more traditional program. I think that there still is not much respect for these online only programs. It may be undeserved, but I think that is just the reality of the situation. There are a lot of B&M (Brick and Mortar) schools out there that have programs geared towards "adult learners." Some of these programs include some online classes and also include accelerated courses that meet one night a week for five to six weeks.

3) If you ever find that your career would benefit from a graduate degree from a highly recognized institution, they will not likely give much respect to an online only school, either.

While I respect learning in all of its forms, there certainly are opportunities for impropriety, and more so in online only institutions; this is why they are less respected. Bottom line, just from a learning for learning or bettering yourself position, you get out of it what you put into it.

I am a huge advocate of career management, so my advice is merely from a perspective on choosing wisely as you are investing lot's of time and money into this endeavor.

From my angle, I am really treating my MSISA as a "throw away" degree. I don't really care about it a whole lot as far as its ability to contribute to my career as a piece of paper. I like the certifications that are incorporated into the program, and it is nearly free to me as my company will pay for about 95% of it. Also, I am looking to improve my skills set here. I do intend to do an MBA from a very different institution later on.

Like I said, this is just my $0.02. I am not judging anyone's decisions or demeaning your choices or accomplishments. I am just trying to offer some perspective that can assist if you are interested in working for a large, prestigious company and want to advance into a senior role or management.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Just got this in my e-mail today (and I'm sure many of my fellow students did as well). Wanted to share this with the rest of TE who might be on the fence about WGU.

Mind you, this segment is about teaching, and it was on some show on Lifetime, but the general stuff about WGU is talked about. (No IT is mentioned...sorry). Just thought I'd share it so you get a general idea about WGU.

Online Teaching Degree | WGU Featured on Balancing Act
  • Options
    asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    Is it me or is like a huge percentage of people in WGU military or ex-military

I find it kinda cool
  • Options
    neuropolneuropol Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a question about tech pre-assessments. Last time I was in MeasureUp, I was sure I saw options for taking the tests a second time. Options included taking the test with all the questions missed the first time, taking the test with all new questions, etc.

Today when I log in to take the WFV1 pre-test again none of those options were available, and I had all the same questions as previously.

Was I imagining those options before?
  • Options
    neuropol wrote: »
    I have a question about tech pre-assessments. Last time I was in MeasureUp, I was sure I saw options for taking the tests a second time. Options included taking the test with all the questions missed the first time, taking the test with all new questions, etc.

Today when I log in to take the WFV1 pre-test again none of those options were available, and I had all the same questions as previously.

Was I imagining those options before?

Are you sure you didn't take "certification" mode more than once? When you log in to MeasureUp, you have to click on the exam and make sure you're not clicking on "License Status" (It looks like it's part of the same link, but it's a seperate link.) Then on the top of the page you should see Study Mode, Certification Mode, Custom Mode and Adaptive Mode.

If you are doing everything right and don't see it, then you might have expired your key. I would give your mentor a call and have him give you another one.
  • Options
    I'm clicking on the correct link. I think MeasureUp may be having an issue. After I click on a test, like I am about to start one, then go back, every link takes me back to the Start Test page. I've tried it in two browsers and the same thing happened.

I'll try again in a few days to see if the same thing happens.

Thanks.
  • Options
    neuropol wrote: »
    I'm clicking on the correct link. I think MeasureUp may be having an issue. After I click on a test, like I am about to start one, then go back, every link takes me back to the Start Test page. I've tried it in two browsers and the same thing happened.

I'll try again in a few days to see if the same thing happens.

Thanks.

Give the mentor a call. I just went through Measureup as I was typing that response to you and I was able to get in to my Security+ test. Maybe it's your particular test or maybe you have to delete browser cache (try that too). At least he'll get off his butt and look into for you while you wait the few days. :)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They usually give you only 2 uses for the preassesment. Take it in certification mode.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I can get into the test fine, it's just not presenting me with the options I remember.

As for browser cache, the second browser I tested on had never been to that site, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'll give it a go, though.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter I guess. I'm pretty confident about the test, and already had the real test scheduled. I was just hoping to get some different questions. The 100 impressed my mentor though. :)

*edit* Figured out the problem. If you click the link to take the test, then use your browsers back button most(all) links will take you back to the test. You have to click Cancel, then the links will work fine. Still no testing options, though.
  • Options
    They usually give you only 2 uses for the preassesment. Take it in certification mode.

I have two pre=assessments that I still have 1 test remaining. I'm not getting any mode options, that's the problem I'm having. It just takes me directly into the test.
  • Options
    If you didn't take it cert mode the first time it wont give you options. Actually I don't think the second mode gives you a choice but to be in cert mode.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    If you didn't take it cert mode the first time it wont give you options. Actually I don't think the second mode gives you a choice but to be in cert mode.

Ah well, was hoping to get some different questions the second time around. On to the real deal now.

thanks.
  • Options
    We used to use measure up as our onmly practice test back when I took A+ class and it sucked as you had all the options but the results went to your mentor and she had to email me the results every time I took it.
    That POS examforce (crammaster) they use now is useless. The only thing I like about it is that it includes a PDF of the ExamCram book. It's required (by some mentors) to do the 3 passes of the exam cram. Basically you memorize all the answers by the third pass you go through.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    . . . It's required (by some mentors) to do the 3 passes of the exam cram. Basically you memorize all the answers by the third pass you go through.

Actually, the COS is what requires you to do it. I think some of the mentors are simply bypassing that requirement.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Mine doesn't let me bypass it. I've heard from a lot of people who their mentors don't require it. I usually pretty much go by the COS as I learn a lot more that way. The examforce for a lot of classes is a waste of time so I kind of shotgun it and go through all 3 passes in like 1 or 2 days.
  • Options
    ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone used an IT bachelor's degree at WGU to transfer into a master's degree program at another university? Is this degree taken seriously?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Arysta wrote: »
    Has anyone used an IT bachelor's degree at WGU to transfer into a master's degree program at another university? Is this degree taken seriously?

Somewhere or another I have a list of grad schools that WGU students have been able to transfer in to. Yes, I believe it is taken seriously.
  • Options
    There have been several discussions about this in this thread (would be hard to find though) and I don't know of anyone here who has tried it yet but there are a number of Alumni who have gone to get graduate degrees at other institutions and had no trouble. It's an accreditted Bachelors degree and treated as such. You would still have to meet other requirements for admittance to a graduate program elsewhere.
  • Options
    houwguerhouwguer Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello all,

I am a IT Manager and would like to get my degree.

So far I have:
    • MCITP - 2008 Server Admin
    • A+ 2009
    • N+

I plan to finish all of the certs that are in the BSIT - NETADMIN before I enroll. I hope to transfer in all certifications and all possible CLEP exams (noted from the "unofficial" list that is earlier in the thread). Has anyone gone this route or a similar route before?
  • Options
    Arysta wrote: »

WGU is regionally accredited. (Like Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools is the body that regionally accredits colleges in the Mid-Atlantic states such as NJ, PA, MD, etc.). WGU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (the same accredidation that BYU, Idaho State University, and the big name colleges in that region).

Regionally accreditation is much more important than national...grad schools take the regional one more seriously. But I plan on going at least applying to Rutgers and NJIT when all is said and done with graduation.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    . . .
    Regionally accreditation is much more important than national...grad schools take the regional one more seriously. But I plan on going at least applying to Rutgers and NJIT when all is said and done with graduation.

Most schools require an accredited bachelor's degree to enter their master's programs; more respectable schools require a bachelor's from a regionally accredited program. WGU fulfills this requirement.

Here's a post from me earlier in regards to WGU students who've been accepted to other master's programs:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/51715-western-governors-university-questions-answers-threads-related-wgu-post412100.html?highlight=list+graduate+alumni#post412100
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    Most schools require an accredited bachelor's degree to enter their master's programs; more respectable schools require a bachelor's from a regionally accredited program. WGU fulfills this requirement.

Here's a post from me earlier in regards to WGU students who've been accepted to other master's programs:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/51715-western-governors-university-questions-answers-threads-related-wgu-post412100.html?highlight=list+graduate+alumni#post412100

I plan on adding Rutgers (in Newark) or New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) to that list. :D After graudating, I'll have a better idea of which one... :)
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    OK, as opposed to my comments on page 23, I have been giving WGU some serious thought, I will probably enroll as soon as I move back to the states... In several of these WGU threads, there have been a few people who have stated their opinion that a B&M school tends to have more 'respectability' and while that may be so, for me, the benefits of online outweigh the negatives. I will be doing the MSIA, and them having the NSA certification pretty much seals the deal for me, that tells me that it is rigorous and thorough. Plus I like the fact that I can complete it on my own terms, and fit it in at MY convenience, instead of scheduling around evening classes. I am still on the fence about all the certs, but I will get through them, regardless.

Which brings me to my question, I read the last 5 pages and didn't see the answer, hopefully it hasn't been asked already... for the GIAC certified ISO-17999 exam, do you have to pay the challenge fee out of pocket, or is it covered? Where do you test at? Are test vouchers included for every single exam, or are they up to me to cover? GI Bill will reimburse them, but I was just wondering...

I vote that WGU be given its own section, so threads like this can be broken up. It's a great thread but due to size hard to find information.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    Exam fees are part of your tuition and cover up to 2 attempts. I believe this covers the Masters programs as well. However are subject to waiting times of the individual exams if there are any.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • Options
    colemic wrote: »
    I vote that WGU be given its own section, so threads like this can be broken up. It's a great thread but due to size hard to find information.

I've been saying that since I got here! :) WGU deserves it's own subforum. Since it is a tech forum, it only needs the IT portion of it to be done. (As opposed to teaching, nursing etc.).

I have seen other WGU forums like wgustudenthall.com. But I'm not even signed up there, nor do I even read them, because every WGU question I had and asked has been answered here very satisfactorily. I do participate in the community thread, but not terribly often....just a bit casually, because this place gets more activitiy.

At the current rate, within a few months to a year, both of these threads are going to be very unreadable due to their sheer-size for new people. I had to fight myself to read every post on both of the huge ones prior to signing up.

If it were broken up in a sub-forum, with classes for IT broken up, it would be quite better for all (newbies and oldies... :) ).
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    . . .
    At the current rate, within a few months to a year, both of these threads are going to be very unreadable due to their sheer-size for new people. I had to fight myself to read every post on both of the huge ones prior to signing up.

If it were broken up in a sub-forum, with classes for IT broken up, it would be quite better for all (newbies and oldies... :) ).

My guess would be that from a webmaster's perspective, it would be a bit of work to set all that up. However, I think you make a fair argument. I'll begrudgingly add my name to that list of sub-forum supporters (and will hope that the MCITP exams get similar polish soon).
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    My guess would be that from a webmaster's perspective, it would be a bit of work to set all that up.

He wouldn't have to do that by himself...we could definitely help him/mods out in that regard. Giving him a list of what's required to get the BS-IT and then sub forums under that. There's effort, but it wouldn't be terrible.
  • Options
    ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□

Thanks for the responses, folks. I'm looking at going to Univ of Maryland for their Cybersecurity masters when I'm done (it's available online as well), and it looks like I shouldn't have any problems with that.

I took the plunge, and I start at WGU on Oct. 1!