Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    levensailorlevensailor Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm transferring in about 95 credits, and CCNA/MCSA/MCITP/MCTS..

After an unofficial evaluation by myself it appears I'll get credit for:
    BAC1 BBC1 LAE1 LAT1 INC1 INT1 TEV1 TTV1 QLC1 QLT1 SSC1 SST1 IWC1 IWT1 GTT1 CLC1 GUT1 BGV1 ABV1 Questionable: LUT1 AKV1

Which only leaves about 5-7 classes and 7 certifications I need to get to have my BS in Information Technology -- Security, which I could do in under a year!

I'm still waiting to hear back from UMass Lowell and Northeastern to see what transfers, but If I decide WGU I'll be starting with you buddy.. Oct 1
    CCNP/CCDA/CCNA-Wireless/MCSA/MCITP/Network+/Security+
    BS Information Tech. - UMass
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Is anyone else being required to do the Foundations Math and English classes? My roommate just started and his mentor started him in foundations. I asked him if he took the test while doing EWB and he said he didn't. His mentor didn't mention anything to him about them. I took the test's while in EWB and bypassed the foundation classes. Just curious, thanks!
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm transferring in about 95 credits, and CCNA/MCSA/MCITP/MCTS..

After an unofficial evaluation by myself it appears I'll get credit for:
    BAC1 BBC1 LAE1 LAT1 INC1 INT1 TEV1 TTV1 QLC1 QLT1 SSC1 SST1 IWC1 IWT1 GTT1 CLC1 GUT1 BGV1 ABV1 Questionable: LUT1 AKV1

Which only leaves about 5-7 classes and 7 certifications I need to get to have my BS in Information Technology -- Security, which I could do in under a year!

I'm still waiting to hear back from UMass Lowell and Northeastern to see what transfers, but If I decide WGU I'll be starting with you buddy.. Oct 1

You can definitely be done in less than a year if you did the WGU route. You will be spending more money on UMASS, especially if you went full time (12+ credits). I went to UMASS for a semester for one class, and did not care for the experience.

The only thing you're going to be busy with for WGU are the Cisco certs. The regular classes are cake/medium cake. I would just knock out the regular classes first and then study for your Cisco independently while working on your classes. Then when you are ready to test, just sign up for the class that corresponds to your cert, pass your MeasureUp and receive a voucher and get certified.

If done right you'll have your BS and certs within the year or less....easy!
    Is anyone else being required to do the Foundations Math and English classes? My roommate just started and his mentor started him in foundations. I asked him if he took the test while doing EWB and he said he didn't. His mentor didn't mention anything to him about them. I took the test's while in EWB and bypassed the foundation classes. Just curious, thanks!

My mentor scheduled me for Foundations English (BBC1) a couple of weeks after EWB. No biggie, but I was terribly uncomfortable with the webcam. It will help if he does LAE1 though and just read and go through COS on that so that you can get some pointers on grammar and all of that. But I think even without that, he should make the cut score. (Believe it was 70%). In the unlikely event he fails, then he just goes through some EWB-type of course, fly through that and then get tested again.
  • Options
    keyboard150keyboard150 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a bachelors and a masters degree in education, and have decided to go into the IT field. (Have sort of been doing it a few years now, anyway.)

I'm under the assumption most if not all of my gen ed credits will transfer in.

I currently have CCENT certification and was studying the CCNA until I found WGU. I've applied, been accepted, and start classes in November.

However, I'm just confused. Networking does interest me, and it bugs me that they don't include the CCNA in the Network Design and Management major.

It seems to me, though, that if I don't have the gen ed credits, perhaps I could actually combine Security and Design together?

Problem is, I do still have a free voucher from Pearson that I would like to use at some point, so I don't know if I should just do the Network Design and then finish CCNA after graduation, or what.

What do you all think is a good course of action?

It also bugs me that they do not have the MCSA/MCSE any longer....as most companies are still big on those certs. I have the texts for those, but if I'm going to receive MCITP through WGU is there really any point? In two years do you think the MCITP will be more relevant than it is now?

Thanks all!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd like it if they had an elective element where you could get the CCNA or some other cert to go with the MCITP:EA. They don't offer you that type of option.
    About your free voucher, does it have an expiration date?
    Also , as to the MCITP being relevant I hope it doesn't wait that long as I'm working on mine now.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    It also bugs me that they do not have the MCSA/MCSE any longer....as most companies are still big on those certs. I have the texts for those, but if I'm going to receive MCITP through WGU is there really any point? In two years do you think the MCITP will be more relevant than it is now?

Thanks all!

As many companies upgrade their hardware infrastructure to 64-bit architecture, the O/S will most certainly get upgraded. Look for 2011/2012 to be HUGE years for IT spending (and, imo, hiring). Your MCITP:EA will most certainly be relevant. Even if W2K3 was going to be around for 5 more years, there is tremendous overlap between W2K3 and W2K8. AD/DNS/DHCP, etc can be set up the same, provided of course you are not reliant on Server Manager. There are significant differences, like Server Manager, Bit Locker, etc, but that wouldn't preclude you from supporting a 2K3 environment if you needed to.

I'm wondering why you don't just another Masters since you already have a Bachelors?
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    As many companies upgrade their hardware infrastructure to 64-bit architecture, the O/S will most certainly get upgraded. Look for 2011/2012 to be HUGE years for IT spending (and, imo, hiring). Your MCITP:EA will most certainly be relevant. Even if W2K3 was going to be around for 5 more years, there is tremendous overlap between W2K3 and W2K8. AD/DNS/DHCP, etc can be set up the same, provided of course you are not reliant on Server Manager. There are significant differences, like Server Manager, Bit Locker, etc, but that wouldn't preclude you from supporting a 2K3 environment if you needed to.

I'm wondering why you don't just another Masters since you already have a Bachelors?

So you think employers will hire an MCITP even if they run 2003? Would you go server or enterprise? That's another question I had when I was going through the requirements between security, design, and administrator majors.

As far as the Masters, I was going to do that, but they don't seem to have the major I'm interested in for masters. Plus, I would be afraid of being over-qualified on paper when I submit my resume.

As it gets closer to my start date, I'm getting more confused than ever.

To add to this---I'm also concerned that they don't have a programming class for the networking major--is there not some programming/scripting involved in networking? I mean---you have to write scripts to push out with active directory---is that covered in the MCITP courses?
  • Options
    uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    earweed wrote: »
    I'd like it if they had an elective element where you could get the CCNA or some other cert to go with the MCITP:EA. They don't offer you that type of option.
    About your free voucher, does it have an expiration date?
    Also , as to the MCITP being relevant I hope it doesn't wait that long as I'm working on mine now.

I agree. WGU works on a similar model as a Vocational Technical school. You have your required course list and that is it. It would be nice if you could pick and choose concentrations (electives).
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • Options
    Most of what you do in Server 2008 you can do (somewhat) in 2003. You can demonstarte to employers your knowledge of server operating systems with the MCITP.

Server or enterprise? Do you mean Server Administrator or Enterprise Administrator? It kind of depends on what you want to be doing and what your goals are for the future. The SA is easily upgradable to EA with just 2 tests.

They had Java up until this past March but since it takes so long to complete the degree the way they had it the course was eliminated for the NDM track. There is still JavaScript but it hardly counts. I actually think they should set up a course for Powershell but since there is no cert for it that isn't likely to happen.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Most of what you do in Server 2008 you can do (somewhat) in 2003. You can demonstarte to employers your knowledge of server operating systems with the MCITP.

Server or enterprise? Do you mean Server Administrator or Enterprise Administrator? It kind of depends on what you want to be doing and what your goals are for the future. The SA is easily upgradable to EA with just 2 tests.

They had Java up until this past March but since it takes so long to complete the degree the way they had it the course was eliminated for the NDM track. There is still JavaScript but it hardly counts. I actually think they should set up a course for Powershell but since there is no cert for it that isn't likely to happen.

So basically we're on our own as far as learning a programming language goes. Which is best for networking?
  • Options
    So basically we're on our own as far as learning a programming language goes. Which is best for networking?

I wouldn't say programming, per se, but VBScripting is always a useful thing to learn for networking.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say programming, per se, but VBScripting is always a useful thing to learn for networking.

How complicated would this be to do on my own?
  • Options
    How complicated would this be to do on my own?

The best person to answer that would be you.

Have a look at the below URL when you have time and go through it. (Have some time though...don't just look through it for a couple of minutes).

VBScript Tutorial
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    The best person to answer that would be you.

Have a look at the below URL when you have time and go through it. (Have some time though...don't just look through it for a couple of minutes).

VBScript Tutorial

Or get a Dummies book. I liked my VB 4.5 Dummies book, and it still proudly has its space on my bookshelf.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Thanks all! This was a great help. I've just gotta figure out what to do about this Cisco voucher...and figure out how to get through this CCNA book without pulling my hair out.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My first term is almost done (ends Sept 30th). This term has been great! I've completed 24 CU's and will take the CIW Site Designer exam this weekend to wrap up 30. I have nothing but positive things to say about WGU and their academic model. I did have to change mentors after my first week but the staff understood my concerns and made the change without pushing back too much. Since then, everything has been very smooth. I guess I'm living proof that if you are motivated, you can do anything. In this first term I bought a house and had a kid along with wokring full time :D Sometimes I felt overwhelmed but I have kept my eye on the prize have kept with it. Good luck to everyone working on their degree right now at WGU. Keep working hard!
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Setting up split payments as I speak. Looks like I will start the 1st of October. They did a decent job of getting my credits and classes transfered and I am sure I can catch up to my peers in no-time given my drive compared to theirs. (only reason I'm behind is because I have the certifications I do and now have a full time job... maybe they are the ones behind! haha)

See you guys at the university ;)
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    Setting up split payments as I speak. Looks like I will start the 1st of October. They did a decent job of getting my credits and classes transfered and I am sure I can catch up to my peers in no-time given my drive compared to theirs. (only reason I'm behind is because I have the certifications I do and now have a full time job... maybe they are the ones behind! haha)

See you guys at the university ;)

Congrats brother. I'll be doing cash/split payments next year. This year I had to do loans, but that will be paid off soon anyway.

Make sure you find the TE Roll Call in the WGU communities as well as knock out EWB on day one. (That does not need to be a drawn-out affair.). Dedicate 5-7 hours though... :)
  • Options
    RockinITRockinIT Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm very excited to start on the 1st as well. Coming in with no certs or formal IT training... should be interesting!
    Courses Completed at WGU:
    Start Date: 10/01/10,

Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC:

EWB2, BAC1, LAT1, LET1, LUT1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, GUT1, TPV1, ABV1, BGV1, TSV1, WDV1, WSV1, BLV1, MGC1, ORC1, TWA1, CPW4
    Classes Transferred:

BBC1, LAE1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    Certifications Held:

In progress!
  • Options
    kkearney75kkearney75 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm very excited to start on the 1st as well. Coming in with no certs or formal IT training... should be interesting!

I'm in the same boat. I start my MBA in IT Mgmt. on Oct 1. I am currently studying for the CIW associate as well. I am excited to get going on the whole program and psyched to get thru the first couple of certs so maybe I can secure a job. I hate being unemployedicon_sad.gif But at least it gives me time to study.
  • Options
    ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm starting on the 1st as well - security focus. I had 20 classes transfer (woohoo!) so I only have about 14 left to graduate. I can't wait to get this damn degree behind me so I can go out there and try to get a real job for grown-ups hehe.

I also have a question for this thread:

I got transfer credit for the TEV1 and TTV1 classes (the A+ cert classes) even though I don't have the A+ cert. However, I really want the A+ cert. Does anyone know if I would be able to take those classes anyway? Obviously, I could just get the A+ on my own without a lot of fuss, but since they include vouchers in tuition, I figure it would be a money saver in the end.

Also, security focus doesn't include the Network+ class, and I also want to get that (looking to get A+, Net+, Sec+ before the end of the year). Anyone know if you can take classes at WGU that are not specifically required for your degree?

I'm used to the big universities where you can basically run free and do whatever the hell you want!
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Arysta wrote: »
    I got transfer credit for the TEV1 and TTV1 classes (the A+ cert classes) even though I don't have the A+ cert. However, I really want the A+ cert. Does anyone know if I would be able to take those classes anyway? Obviously, I could just get the A+ on my own without a lot of fuss, but since they include vouchers in tuition, I figure it would be a money saver in the end.

Also, security focus doesn't include the Network+ class, and I also want to get that (looking to get A+, Net+, Sec+ before the end of the year). Anyone know if you can take classes at WGU that are not specifically required for your degree?

1) You could probably find a way. If I had to guess all you would have to do is tell them not to transfer those credits. You should ask your councilor about it.

2) Another question for your councilor. My guess is if it is not part of the degree plan you paid for, you would probably have to pay more.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    I'm starting on the 1st as well - security focus. I had 20 classes transfer (woohoo!) so I only have about 14 left to graduate. I can't wait to get this damn degree behind me so I can go out there and try to get a real job for grown-ups hehe.

I also have a question for this thread:

I'm used to the big universities where you can basically run free and do whatever the hell you want!

I am curious how A+ got transferred without the A+ cert; that might be useful for other new students who may be in the same boat.

Whatever your major is though, you should be able to ask your mentor who will be with you your WGU career to give you the CompTIA vouchers. You already paid for them, so might as well (even if it's not in your major). You would not need to retake those classes. Assuming they give you some grief, then the only other option would be to get the educational vouchers directly from CompTIA. They're about ~$65 each (The E2C JK0 ones). But see if you can get the vouchers directly first. Just wait until you "meet" with your mentor though....(as opposed to the Enrollment Counselor).
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Alternatively, if you feel that you are capable of doing it right away you can request that the classes be added back in so you can take them.

That is what I did.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can transfer some classes in according to the transfer page. You need a college class that does A+ course work. I have the class for that Net+ and Security+ but told them not to transfer them in since I would rather take the course. I believe the class can not be older then 5 years old.
  • Options
    eansdad wrote: »
    You can transfer some classes in according to the transfer page. You need a college class that does A+ course work. I have the class for that Net+ and Security+ but told them not to transfer them in since I would rather take the course. I believe the class can not be older then 5 years old.

That does sound more plausible. I didn't know A+--like classes counted toward the class...if I were in Arysta's shoes, I would definitely want to take the class over again so I can get the cert. (Almost wish my experience was like that for WFV1....lmao!)

In that case, Arysta, you will need to take that up with your Enrollment Counselor and state that you don't want to transfer A+ and that you want to take it for the cert. That has to be done before you enroll, otherwise whatever your transcript is, it will be.
  • Options
    ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am curious how A+ got transferred without the A+ cert; that might be useful for other new students who may be in the same boat.

I have an AS in IT. My transfer evaluation said "hardware class" for TEV1 and "degree" for TTV1.
    Whatever your major is though, you should be able to ask your mentor who will be with you your WGU career to give you the CompTIA vouchers. You already paid for them, so might as well (even if it's not in your major). You would not need to retake those classes. Assuming they give you some grief, then the only other option would be to get the educational vouchers directly from CompTIA. They're about ~$65 each (The E2C JK0 ones). But see if you can get the vouchers directly first. Just wait until you "meet" with your mentor though....(as opposed to the Enrollment Counselor).

I wasn't aware that CompTIA gave discounted educational vouchers. Thanks for the info there. Now that I know that exists, I figure doing what you recommend is probably a lot easier and less hassle than going through a course where everything would be pointlessly easy. I could pass the A+ exam today without much trouble.
  • Options
    I have an AS in IT. My transfer evaluation said "hardware class" for TEV1 and "degree" for TTV1.

I wasn't aware that CompTIA gave discounted educational vouchers. Thanks for the info there. Now that I know that exists, I figure doing what you recommend is probably a lot easier and less hassle than going through a course where everything would be pointlessly easy. I could pass the A+ exam today without much trouble.

They're only available from a educational institution (e.g. WGU). You will have to hound your mentor to give them to you, but it shouldn't be much of a hassle. :) Mentors are pretty solid, unlike (most) ECs.
  • Options
    You know...it seems to me that if you are transferring in a bunch of credits to begin with, you should be allowed to add some classes if you want.

I'll hopefully be transferring all my lib classes from my first Bachelors...I'm going to ask about throwing the CCNA class into my studies for Network Design and Management. I really think it should be included in that major anyway.

Then after I graduate, I'll use the free voucher I already have from Cisco for CCNP or something....
  • Options
    I wish WGU did what you just suggested as I would also be getting a CCNA through them but they don't.