Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think you are misreading that. The TNV1 can be fufilled those ways, but the BGV1 is only fufilled through the CCENT.
    WGU apparently uses the same transfer guidelines for TNV1 and BGV1 which is kind of messed up as CCNA = (Net+)^6 ( This used to be KNWMinus law but he changed his name)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    WGU apparently uses the same transfer guidelines for TNV1 and BGV1 which is kind of messed up as CCNA = (Net+)^6 ( This used to be KNWMinus law but he changed his name)

There really is no real comparison between the CCNA and Network+. Even after I passed Network+, all I really got from it was the OSI model and a rudimentary understanding of how TCP/IP works. Can I configure a Cisco router with that (alone)? Hardly, but can I be trained to do it...well, that's a different story. :)

In any event, I would suggest that if folks are gonna change to Security and they don't have a CCNA to make that they tell their mentor that they want to take BGV1 for the CCNA.

I'll say this much though, the whole 2 test deal is a very recent deal...within the last few years. Prior to that, it was only the "composite" (one test deal). They did the whole two test deal to make it easy for people to become a CCNA. But it is very possible and doable to pass the CCNA in one test with proper study.

But working with your mentor to facilitate that change should not be a painful ordeal though.
  • Options
    madmanmuromadmanmuro Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I have a pretty good idea how the objective assessments work. But I'm enrolled in LET1 which is a performance assessment. Does anyone have any advice for this class? I'm not sure even where to begin. I assume I'm just going to be writing papers taskstream? Do I just use the schedule now button to begin with it? Also do I really need to buy the book for this course? Appreciate the help!
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Out of curiosity, is the pre-assesment for QLC1 an accurate idea of how hard the test will be?

I was just wondering the same thing myself. I took it without studying to see which areas I really needed to focus on and passed but not by much.
    madmanmuro wrote: »
    So I have a pretty good idea how the objective assessments work. But I'm enrolled in LET1 which is a performance assessment. Does anyone have any advice for this class? I'm not sure even where to begin. I assume I'm just going to be writing papers taskstream? Do I just use the schedule now button to begin with it? Also do I really need to buy the book for this course? Appreciate the help!

Taskstream might seem weird at first but once you get the hang of it, it is really easy. Click on the course link when you first log in. This will take you to a page where you can view the directions for the paper or assesment/task. Pay close attention to the directions. If you follow the directions, you will pass. I know that sounds lame for me to say as advice, but it really is true! Sometimes it can be hard to figure exactly what the graders want. I usually go to the communities page and look at some discussions. Most of the time the course mentors have answered a lot of the questions that come up about the tasks but if not, you can shoot them an email and they are good about responding. My best advice would be to familiarize yourself with APA formatting. I have found that is key in order to passing any of the performance assesments.
  • Options
    My best advice would be to familiarize yourself with APA formatting. I have found that is key in order to passing any of the performance assesments.

I JUST upgraded to Office 2007 on my laptop (I have it at work, but didn't have it at home....was still on 2003). I did not know that Word 2007 has a function that will manage your bibliography and format it in APA format. This is very useful for inserting citations.

Also, when you have to deal with annotated bibliographies, BibMe: Fast & Easy Bibliography Maker - MLA, APA, Chicago, Turabian - Free really is your friend in that regard. Mind you, I just did it for the formatting and then put then put the mini summary about the sources afterwards. But doing that formatting by "hand"....never, ever that. LOL. But Word 2007 will do the in-text citations for you as well. I am guessing this isn't available in 2003 (I didn't see and/or notice it) but it popped out at me in 2007...lol.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just finished EWB, peice of cake. Good talks with my Mentor, hopefully this will all go well. It is good to see people with resources on APA, since my highschool and colleges I went to used MLA.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    I just finished EWB, peice of cake. Good talks with my Mentor, hopefully this will all go well. It is good to see people with resources on APA, since my highschool and colleges I went to used MLA.

If you're not using it already, I highly recommend Word 2007 for the in-app bibliography features. References tab > Manage Sources (just make sure the drop down for Style is in APA) and then you can put your sources based on what it is (book, website, periodical, journal article). I would still use Bibme to make sure it's done right though....importing a bibliography from what bibme gives you remains a challange, but I had 10 sources, so I just put them into Word, and made sure the italics were done proper. Only thing about APA that's crappy is that only the first word is capitalized (and the first word in the sub title, and of course proper names). But as I said, what's cool about doing that is you can just click "Insert Citation" and choose which one you're using and your in-text citations are done for you. That is very cool.
  • Options
    ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    If you're not using it already, I highly recommend Word 2007 for the in-app bibliography features.

Yeah, that's good stuff. Word 2010 has it as well.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I would love to get WGU more active in the TE forums. I know of one Mentor that at least has browsed the forums.

I mentioned TE to my mentor and she asked me if it was a braindump site. I had a good laugh.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm wondering if any of you can give me some advice.

Currently I'm working at a local university on a BAS degree. My thinking is that I want to eventually get a masters degree, but I'm concerned that it is just going to take too much time and effort.

So I know that WGU has a MS degree in Information Security, and I'm thinking that will be the best route because I'll probably be taking the certifications anyway. And since it is completely online then I can easily fit it into my schedule.

My concern, is that by the time 2ish years roll around, I'll already have taken at least some of the tests that they are going to be required. I think I remember someone saying that tests can be applied if taken within 4 years. But I still risk some of my tests expiring and I'd have to retake them.

So I'm really asking 2 questions here. 1) Does this seem like a good option. and 2) Do you think they will let me start working towards the MS degree while still in progress on the BAS?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    So I'm really asking 2 questions here. 1) Does this seem like a good option. and 2) Do you think they will let me start working towards the MS degree while still in progress on the BAS?

I really doubt it.

If I go for the Master degree from WGU then I will definitely do CWNA/CWSP first. Since I already have the Network+ and will have the CCNA then that class will also be waived. Should make a decent dent in the program if choose to pursue the MS:ISA from WGU. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    One of the requirements for admission into the Masters program is a Bachelors degree.
    I'm also considerring WGU (along with others) for a Masters if and when I pursue it.

I think WGU still needs a little time to "iron Out" the MS degree and its courses and it should be ready for serious consideration in a year or 2.

One of the issues WGU has with the undergraduate program is that every "new" class has issues if you try to follow the COS. When I started studying for the 70-640 the COS was a total shambles and was hard to even cmprehend. Anyone in any new program or class should make sure to provide feedback to WGU on their COS when you find problems.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Can you define COS?
  • Options
    Can you define COS?
    Course of Study it's like a roadmap of how to go through the course.
  • Options
    Course of Study it's like a roadmap of how to go through the course.

Thanks.

I'm emailing with an enrollment counselor right now. I'll let you know what I learn.

I can definitely see why a Bachelor's degree is a pre-req to a Masters degree. I just don't personally see why there would be a problem with working on both at the same time. The only time I could see a problem arise would be if I finished the Masters program first. Of course they can't let me graduate until I have completed the Bachelor's program.

But we will see what they have to say.
  • Options
    You could work on the certs that the Masters requires and then just do the other classes after you get your BS. Any WGU class that results in a cert you can get the cert in advance of enrollment and that class is marked as requirement met so the class is done.
  • Options
    You could work on the certs that the Masters requires and then just do the other classes after you get your BS. Any WGU class that results in a cert you can get the cert in advance of enrollment and that class is marked as requirement met so the class is done.

Is there any way to get a comprehensive list? All I could find were a few examples of things that would be learned.
  • Options
    Go to wgu.edu/sh go to records and transcripts > cick on those beginning after July 1,2010 and ten on the right side of your screen scroll down to where it says Graduate transfer guidelines Information Security and Assurance (the sixth one down I believe) and it gives you listings of what will satisfy requirements for classes.
  • Options
    So I just need to get a BS and then these 6 certifications to have a masters degree?
  • Options
    So I just need to get a BS and then these 6 certifications to have a masters degree?

It's a bit more complicated than that:

MS Info Security & Assurance Course of Study
  • Options
    It's a bit more complicated than that:

MS Info Security & Assurance Course of Study

I was going to say, that seems too easy for a masters degree.

Thanks for the link
  • Options
    I was going to say, that seems too easy for a masters degree.

Thanks for the link

I'm actually finding that taking classes online with WGU is no where near as easy as showing up regulary for a class.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□

If you define getting a CSWP, some EC Council and a GIAC certs as "just" then more power to you. Those are some tough exams.
  • Options
    eansdad wrote: »
    If you define getting a CSWP, some EC Council and a GIAC certs as "just" then more power to you. Those are some tough exams.

Won't disagree with you on that, but for a Masters degree completion? I'd like to think that you would need at least one class that involves writing a paper...lmao.

But those certs he mentioned will only give you about half of what you need to complete the program. I was gonna respond to that, but Veritas beat me to it. :)
  • Options
    Won't disagree with you on that, but for a Masters degree completion? I'd like to think that you would need at least one class that involves writing a paper...lmao.

But those certs he mentioned will only give you about half of what you need to complete the program. I was gonna respond to that, but Veritas beat me to it. :)

Obviously you haven't looked through the class requirements... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    BlackBellaBlackBella Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My mentor decided to open up my Intro to programming class until my CompTIA stuff arrives for IT fundamentals 2 and 3. Gives me something to do in the meantime, which is cool with me. icon_thumright.gif
    GSU- BA International Studies
    WGU BSIT-Database
    (10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
    Classed needed to graduate: WFV1,TEV1,TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, LET1, GUT1, WSV1, WDV1, TPV1, TSV1,MGC1, ORC1, TWA1, PFI6, CPW6, ALV1, AMV1
    1st term goal: EWB,WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, , GUT1
    Certifications::study: One day soon
  • Options
    Obviously you haven't looked through the class requirements... icon_wink.gif

Obviously....

But that's all the more reason why I'll go the B&M route after WGU. ;)
  • Options
    Obviously....

But that's all the more reason why I'll go the B&M route after WGU. ;)

LOL, to each their own. I'm not sure what I'm doing after my BS.
  • Options
    LOL, to each their own. I'm not sure what I'm doing after my BS.

Didn't mean to make that sound like a knock and I hope you didn't take it as such (pesky Interwebs.... :) ).

There are personal reasons why I want to do the B&M route for my Masters (in my case it's free but that's not the only driver).
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I mentioned TE to my mentor and she asked me if it was a braindump site. I had a good laugh.

Hahahahah thats pretty good. My mentor had no idea what the CCNA was >.> nice person though.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.