Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    BlackBella wrote: »
    My mentor decided to open up my Intro to programming class until my CompTIA stuff arrives for IT fundamentals 2 and 3. Gives me something to do in the meantime, which is cool with me. icon_thumright.gif

My mentor generally won't open up courses for me until I'm ready to fulfill their competency requirements-- e.g. he didn't open up the Javascript course until I'd passed MeasureUp. This approach actually keeps me from getting behind, and keeps my mentor from getting picked on about it.

But that leads to a more important idea-- I'd tell anyone who's in limbo waiting for materials, etc. to try reading the COS and any related materials (books, etc.) while waiting. Heck, read ahead on another course's COS and resources if you have to. In most courses, you can do all your preparatory study without being enrolled in anything. Studying ahead will keep you moving, and the study habits you build will pay off later.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    mine gets me my stuff sent for the next class when i set the exam date so soon as i refer for my exam in 3 days im getting stuff for the next class
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    Hi all! Looking to be an active participant here!

Just recieved my start date of Nov. 1st for WGU in the Network Design and Management.

With 30+ years of electronics/computers/networking I am hoping to complete my remaining classes in a year and a half... or less :)

I should be able to walk throught hte ewb, ciw,a+, network+, project+ classes quickly.

Transferred:
    BAC1 BBC1 LAE1 LAT1 LUT1 QLC1 QMC1 QLT1 IWC1 IWT1 INC1 INT1 SSC1 SST1 CLC1
    Needed to complete BS-IT:NDM:
    EWB TEV1 TTV1 AKV1 TPV1 ABV1 TNV1 TSV1 AHV1 AIV1 BHV1 BIV1
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Jack2 wrote: »
    Hi all! Looking to be an active participant here!

Just recieved my start date of Nov. 1st for WGU in the Network Design and Management.

With 30+ years of electronics/computers/networking I am hoping to complete my remaining classes in a year and a half... or less :)

I should be able to walk throught hte ewb, ciw,a+, network+, project+ classes quickly.

Transferred:

Wow, no GE classes....very nice. You should have no problem going through your program! Best of luck in your studies! I think you left out LET1 and ORC1 though....and MGC1 and of course the Capstone...

And what earweed said. :)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to TE and to WGU. By the way you left off technical writing and Capstone (TWA1 and CPW3)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    Question to people

How many of you are in the
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance

I just completed the BSc in IT - Network Design and Management

so some questions i have.

1. Is it Possible to do the degree in 6 months? (I did 39 CU in 3 months and 7 days this term to get my BSc). I looking at the MSc program and I found only a couple hard courses. The MSc is only 45 CU

2. What are the prospects to advance my career. Currently I am Senior desktop Support person (been doing helpdesk and desktop support for approx 5 years)

3. For people that are in the programs that also did the there bachelor from WGU how are they finding the progression and difficulty level of the Msc compare to the BSc?
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    Today, I actually just thought about changing my major from Security to BA:IT Management. I thought about the direction that I want to go professionally and I really think this is a good move but would still like input. After graduation, I am looking at getting my MBA either Auburn or Fort Hays State (I hope they have their AASCB accred by then)
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    jahsoul wrote: »
    Today, I actually just thought about changing my major from Security to BA:IT Management. I thought about the direction that I want to go professionally and I really think this is a good move but would still like input. After graduation, I am looking at getting my MBA either Auburn or Fort Hays State (I hope they have their AASCB accred by then)

That degree and the IT:Database emphasis were definitely considered, along with just the BS:IT.

Personally, I figured that no matter which one I chose, I was probably going to get a Masters in either Management or an MBA anyway (and also through an AASCB accredited program). Your degree plus experience may land you a management job, if you so choose, but if you want a degree in management, a Masters may be the way to go.

Just my .02.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    That degree and the IT:Database emphasis were definitely considered, along with just the BS:IT.

Personally, I figured that no matter which one I chose, I was probably going to get a Masters in either Management or an MBA anyway (and also through an AASCB accredited program). Your degree plus experience may land you a management job, if you so choose, but if you want a degree in management, a Masters may be the way to go.

Just my .02.
    I looking at entrepreneurship. I think the MBA would suit me more than a CS/IS degree but that's just my road.. :D
  • Options
    jahsoul wrote: »
    I looking at entrepreneurship. I think the MBA would suit me more than a CS/IS degree but that's just my road.. :D

Either that, or a spot on the next season of The Apprentice. :D

"JahSoul, You're Hired!"
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Either that, or a spot on the next season of The Apprentice. :D

"JahSoul, You're Hired!"
    I'll take it!!! A man that can have a combover like that and noone says anything about it must be powerful...lol
  • Options
    Melika635Melika635 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For those of you who just got started at WGU this month, who is your mentor and what has been your experience so far? Mine is Amy and I love her. She is really on top of things and easy to talk to. :)
    Completed BS, Information Technology
    MBA- IT Management- Targeted Start Date 9/1/2013
    Courses left: QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Courses Completed:

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Melika635 wrote: »
    For those of you who just got started at WGU this month, who is your mentor and what has been your experience so far? Mine is Amy and I love her. She is really on top of things and easy to talk to. :)

Hi Melika, interesting questions. Lets try to keep those questions to the WGU Experiences thread though.

Welcome to TE! :)

Also, for those that choose to comment, lets keep it nice! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104

Mine is Kandra Sejas and she is letting me run as fast as I want. I just started on the 1st and took my CIW foundations test on Friday and just got done with my Security+ about an hour ago. Only missed 4 on CIW and got a 875 on Security+.

Taking LAT1 now and already not looking forward to the research paper. But no pain no gain.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
  • Options
    Taking LAT1 now and already not looking forward to the research paper. But no pain no gain.

Yeah I'm just about done with mine.......revisions are kicking my butt though. But the 4th and 5th task should pretty much be done soon so I can kill off LUT1.

You are going to have some sweet fun. :) I got through LAE1 in a week, but LAT1, not so much......but the next couple of days I should have LAT1 moved up to the completed list. :D
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    yea i did all my English in one lump ... hated it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    BlackBellaBlackBella Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□

Susan Travis and she is cool. Makes me want to bake her some cookies. icon_cheers.gif

I have everything I need for my A+ certification and programming classes. She sends me cool outside links to help study too.
    GSU- BA International Studies
    WGU BSIT-Database
    (10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
    Classed needed to graduate: WFV1,TEV1,TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, LET1, GUT1, WSV1, WDV1, TPV1, TSV1,MGC1, ORC1, TWA1, PFI6, CPW6, ALV1, AMV1
    1st term goal: EWB,WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, , GUT1
    Certifications::study: One day soon
  • Options
    Start date is November 1st, chomping at the bit to get ewb, tev1, ttv1 out of the way!!

Studying the Sybex A+ books while I wait....

Transferred:
    ORC1 MGC1 TWA1
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    Start date is November 1st, chomping at the bit to get ewb, tev1, ttv1 out of the way!!

Studying the Sybex A+ books while I wait....

Transferred:
    ORC1 MGC1 TWA1

WOW you'll be done within one year, easy! 1.5 tops....very nice!! Best of luck in your studies!!
  • Options
    1.5 years is the plan! Would have been nice if my certs were newer than 5 years :) and Military service counted for leadership etc...

For those that have taken the certification courses, What books have you had to purchase? Has anyone gone the route of ebooks? If so what EBooks reader did you purchase?

Transferred:
    ORC1 MGC1 TWA1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    WGU gives you the CompTIA books but they're not very good. The WFV1 books are good (WGU supplied) but you probably wont really need them much. The AKV1 book is supplied and you'll definitely use that one.
    I purchased my own books for the CompTIA classes (even though the Sybex books are available on books 24x7) and the MS books you'll have to purchase but they're also available on books 24x7 if you don't mind reading on your PC/Laptop.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    For those that have taken the certification courses, What books have you had to purchase? Has anyone gone the route of ebooks? If so what EBooks reader did you purchase?

Transferred:
    ORC1 MGC1 TWA1

First of all, I notice that you don't have WFV1....dollars to donuts you need to take that class (IT Fundamentals). (Didn't notice it earlier, but when you mentioned certs, it was easier to see). Since it looks like you don't have ANY certs, that's the one (not A+) you want to do first...the CIW Web Associates 1D0-510 exam.

You will want to go through each book PLUS the vCampus if you are new to IT. The COS (Course of Study--syllabus--[you'll hear more about it in EWB]) will help you out as a guide to what you should study first. I was able to walk in and pass it, but I also have 13 years of professional IT experience. That class will be the foundation for A+, Network+, Security+ and Project+. You should be able to knock it out within your first month.

A+/Network+ I used the Mike Meyers All In One Guide (he's still the best for those). Security+, Darril Gibson's Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead (on Kindle...it will stay on my Kindle device forever with the 870/900 I got!). Project+ I will use the Sybex book for the PK0-003 (that's gonna be next term).

Now For the MS Exams....you will want to read the MCITP forums. You will need to supplement your MS Press books for the MCITP:EA exams (the server ones anyone, not the 70-680) with a Windows Server 2008 R2 specific book like Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed OR Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (which earweed is reviewing and I will have purchased soon....they are available on Kindle, but I have $75 in B&N gift cards.....free books I like :D ).

DEFINITELY check out the MCITP forums here though.....they will help you in your journey (and mine)!
  • Options
    :) 30+ years of IT/Electronics experience, MCSE(> 5 years old), Network Manager as a job (3000+ users, 20+ servers, 130 access points)...icon_cool.gif
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    :) 30+ years of IT/Electronics experience, MCSE(> 5 years old), Network Manager as a job (3000+ users, 20+ servers, 130 access points)...icon_cool.gif

Well now....lol!

Have WFV1 as your first class after EWB and take it before A+...like it or not you have to take it. Schedule within the week, sit down for it, and pass the test. With your background.....you should have no problem getting the CIW Associates cert. (There is no waiver or anything.....you MUST take WFV1....like it or not...and in your case....most likely not...especially when you probably touched or have done everything that you'll be tested on..... lol).
  • Options
    Tato500Tato500 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I have to take AKV1 (Java Script) next month, I was wondering what is the best way to study it? I have CIW Book but I think it's a boring book.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Tato500 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have to take AKV1 (Java Script) next month, I was wondering what is the best way to study it? I have CIW Book but I think it's a boring book.
    Thanks.

JavaScript Tutorial
    CIW JavaScript Study Notes and Tutorial
    YouTube - Javascript Tutorial - 1 - Introduction to Javascript
    WGU grad
  • Options
    ramirerramirer Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So can someone like me, no college experience, actually make it through this school just fine? Also do you really need "real work" experience prior to this school or can you learn everything as you go?

I was looking into the Network: Design & Management program but in the "Who this is for' it states established network system engineers. I have never worked in the networking field only in the lower tier desktop support.
  • Options
    ramirer wrote: »
    So can someone like me, no college experience, actually make it through this school just fine?

This isn't a yes and no question. It does help that you went to at least one college class in your life, but it isn't a prerequisite. However, in your case, you will want to search this entire thread and the Student Experience thread and find that link where you can test out some of your Gen Ed classes. This does a couple of things for you:

1) Gives you credit for courses you won't have to take in WGU so you can focus on getting the degree.

2) Gives you a chance to see how well you can do self-study in a reasonable amount of time. Many WGU students typically do more than the required 12 CUs in the 6 months (some of us have to do more because they're in a program that pays for it). If I only did my 12 CUs, I'd be done in 4 years. When I double it up or average 24+ a term, I'd be done in 2 years (and I'm ok with that, because I do have to work). You have to really dedicate time to your studies. In my case, I do it after work (I have yet to work on a task during work....the only time I did anything at work, involved resubmitting a correct file for my research paper class...but the coursework was already done....I just didn't upload the right one... icon_redface.gif )

Also do you really need "real work" experience prior to this school or can you learn everything as you go?

Not at all. You will also find MANY folks with no real world in the WGU communities that seem to be doing well.
    I was looking into the Network: Design & Management program but in the "Who this is for' it states established network system engineers. I have never worked in the networking field only in the lower tier desktop support.

You may want to consider the regular BS:IT track. You will get a basic understanding of IT in general and then if you want to pursue a particular track (server admin, network admin/engineering, database admin, etc.) you can do that on your own, but you'll have a Bachelor's from a regionally accredited institution.
  • Options
    So can someone like me, no college experience, actually make it through this school just fine? Also do you really need "real work" experience prior to this school or can you learn everything as you go?

I can attest from my own experience that you can make it through the NDM program. All I had experience with was the hardware side (mostly) of repairing PCs and I'm about to graduate.
    Since you are fairly new to IT I will give 1 really valuable suggestion; the first IT course you take will be WFV1 and don't take that course lightly. Use the Course of Study for it and don't skip any of the hands on stuff the COS asks you to do and you will gain a lot of knowledge that will help you as you go through your later IT courses.
  • Options
    madmanmuromadmanmuro Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So i'm currently doing LET1 its my first class with WGU. First task is to write a paper, so I'm getting started on that and trying to learn APA style at the same time. I'm following along the Purdue Online guide and it says to write an abstract page, is that required for every paper or can I just begin writing the body of my paper?