Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    There's no other fees from WGU. The schools you're requesting transcripts from may have a charge though. My community college didn't, but my university was around $10.

WGU does have a split payment plan, where you pay half the tuition at the start of the semester and the rest of it at the halfway point.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If I apply now, would I have to pay for anything? (assuming I get a refer-a-friend)

Is there any other fee aside from the application? (requesting transcripts and things like that)

I don't plan to start(1-3 months) until I can afford the school out of my own pockets, meaning that I have a job. Are there payment plans or do you have to pay all at once?

hit me up ill refer ya
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • jblake1986jblake1986 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am going to try and get into the MBA with IT concentration. I finished all my bachelor requirements at my current school, but do not graduate until April. Do you think my transcript would be enough to get me in? Also if so can someone refer me to save the fee?
    ICND1 Test Apr 23
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    finally finished reading through the entire thread. x|

if you are a student, do you get access to windows 7, server 2008 OSes? i think i read it somewhere before.
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□

if you are a student, do you get access to windows 7, server 2008 OSes? i think i read it somewhere before.

As a student you have access to Dreamspark and MSDN AA, which gets you most of what you need. If you want every flavor of 2008, you'll need Technet.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

You do get access to Windows 7 and 2008. I don't know if this changed, but when I first started WGU, I did receive a a key of Server 2008 R2. What was strange was you were given the media for R2, but not the key. I had to remedy that by getting my colleague to give me the VLK from work. It is my hope though that this has changed since August.

You do get the necessary software you will need though through MSDN-AA and www.dreamspark.com. You need a valid .edu address to get your software though.
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    erpadmin wrote: »
    You do get access to Windows 7 and 2008. I don't know if this changed, but when I first started WGU, I did receive a a key of Server 2008 R2. What was strange was you were given the media for R2, but not the key. I had to remedy that by getting my colleague to give me the VLK from work. It is my hope though that this has changed since August.

You do get the necessary software you will need though through MSDN-AA and www.dreamspark.com. You need a valid .edu address to get your software though.

Did anyone notice the MS in Info Sec at WGU is revamped
    it also now includes the CCNA

i see server 2008 r2 in that link you put. if i have a valid .edu address, i can get server r2?
    i see server 2008 r2 in that link you put. if i have a valid .edu address, i can get server r2?

I saw that and that will get you standard...which is fine for labbing...if you want to know the difference between standard and enterprise, you can go to microsoft.com for that.

Yes, if you have a valid .edu address you can get server r2....they don't seem to do any more checking than sending an email to your edu account.
    I saw that and that will get you standard...which is fine for labbing...if you want to know the difference between standard and enterprise, you can go to microsoft.com for that.

Yes, if you have a valid .edu address you can get server r2....they don't seem to do any more checking than sending an email to your edu account.

lol. i tried sending it to my old college email account. worked like a charm. hopefully i don't get charged or anything
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    jblake1986 wrote: »
    I am going to try and get into the MBA with IT concentration. I finished all my bachelor requirements at my current school, but do not graduate until April. Do you think my transcript would be enough to get me in? Also if so can someone refer me to save the fee?

Should be fine as long as your transcript says that you meet requirements for graduation, or have a letter from your current univ that you do meet the requirment for graduation
  • nbkriplnbkripl Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Everyone,

I saw a post mentioning that the Master's degree now includes CCNA adn I am a little disappatointed that they took out the Wireless Security Cert. I feel CCNA is great and definetly of masters level but since it is a Security Masters I feel the wireless security cert makes more sense to be in the degree track.

Since there were changes there this lead me to check the Bachelors Security Track. It has been changed in a few ways, namely the CCNA can now be broken into two exams and now has 2 classes (3 credits each) to complete it.

Does anyone know if your able to pursue this new format or have to continue on the track as it was when you started? Having no real lab, and minimal cisco experience I feel taking two, more specific exams, would be better for me than taking 1 broader exam on the same material. I feel this new broken format is great for Cisco newbies since it allows you to better focsu and attain the CCNA easier. It also better tests your overall knowledge because now you have approx 90-110 questions (the two tests added together) versus 40-50 from the one CCNA test.

Some other changes I took note of:

AKV1 (JavaScript) went from 3 credits to 4 and is now called BOV1

GTT1 (Intro To programming: Java) went from 3 credits to 4 and is now called KET1

GUT1 (OODD) went from 3 credits to 4 and is now called KFT1

I had several transfer classes but these are the changes I noticed from the classes I still have left to take. I assume the change in credits is make it easier for students to meet SAP. Now you could simply take those 3 classes togther to meet the required 12 versus having to take those 3 plus another to meet the 12.

Thanks for the help
    Oh and they also took out IT Fundamentals 1 Totally. Im sure this is due to the new requiremetns for admission. They then probably added those 3 credits into the three classes named above to make it the same total credit for the degree.
    nbkripl wrote: »
    Oh and they also took out IT Fundamentals 1 Totally. Im sure this is due to the new requiremetns for admission. They then probably added those 3 credits into the three classes named above to make it the same total credit for the degree.

What do you mean? Are you saying IT Fundamentals 1 (WFV1) was removed for BS: Security?
    What do you mean? Are you saying IT Fundamentals 1 (WFV1) was removed for BS: Security?

Yep if you check the new PDF Guide of the BS: Security there is no IT Fundamentals I. I wouldnt be suprised if it has been removed from others as well.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    It makes sense with the new requirements. I wish I wouldn't have to have taken it, but oh well I never even opened the book for it.
    WGU grad
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    It kind of makes sense they would take out the net+ from a MASTERS program and replace it with the CCNA, but taking out the CWSP and CCNA:Security, i don't really agree with that one. They should have moved Net+ to BS:IT Security and maybe added CWNA to lay the ground work for CWSP in the masters program. Just my opinion. Wireless is a HUGE issue when it comes to security... or is that the other way around? lol
    EDIT: or better yet, added the CCNA:Security to the masters program.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

It kind of makes sense they would take out the net+ from a MASTERS program and replace it with the CCNA, but taking out the CWSP and CCNA:Security, i don't really agree with that one. They should have moved Net+ to BS:IT Security and maybe added CWNA to lay the ground work for CWSP in the masters program. Just my opinion. Wireless is a HUGE issue when it comes to security... or is that the other way around? lol
    EDIT: or better yet, added the CCNA:Security to the masters program.

Currently the CCNA Security is still on the BS: Security Program. I am fairly positive it was never in the Masters, though it does make more sense for it to be now.
    Yep if you check the new PDF Guide of the BS: Security there is no IT Fundamentals I. I wouldnt be suprised if it has been removed from others as well.

Not for BS: NDM...WFV1 is still required for that emphasis:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/483517-post281.html

(PDF guide is even in that post.)
    Not for BS: NDM...WFV1 is still required for that emphasis:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/483517-post281.html

(PDF guide is even in that post.)

Thats pretty funny, I wonder why they took it out for Security then. Oh well. I just like the possibility to split up the CCNA between the new two exam method. I already took IT Fundamentals I, oh well!
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    Thats pretty funny, I wonder why they took it out for Security then. Oh well. I just like the possibility to split up the CCNA between the new two exam method. I already took IT Fundamentals I, oh well!

So since it counts as two classes would you be finishing the degree faster if you transferred it in? And if you had CCNA:Security or any other Cisco cert, would they transfer in or is it only the certs you would get for that particular degree path?
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

So since it counts as two classes would you be finishing the degree faster if you transferred it in? And if you had CCNA:Security or any other Cisco cert, would they transfer in or is it only the certs you would get for that particular degree path?

Yes the CCNA would transfer in and count for these two classes. Not having to take it would get you done quicker. I am not positive you can transfer in the Security one or not, but I would imagine so.

Having it be two classes doesnt make you finish quicker, it just makes getting the CCNA easier for new cisco people like me. The first test would cover half the material, allowing you to take 2-3 months to focus on just half, take a test. Then you can do the second class, second half of the material and take the second test. The second test could even be taken in a different semester/term. Currently its 6 credits and you must take the CCNA one hit exam. From what I have read this test is not the easiest and could well take 3-4 or more months to study for well. By breaking up the cert into two exams it allows you to split the studying across semester/terms.
  • bc901bc901 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Question for you guys. I'm scheduled to start the Security program at WGU in February, but I'm having second thoughts about it. The Network Design degree seems very appealing and since I'm not really working in the IT field at the job I do now I think it'd be better for me to get the NDM instead of the Security specialty. Then just go after a M.S. in security later.

Has anyone else ran into this problem?
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just found this thread. I'm thinking of a degree in network administration or security.

I noticed their requirements for Sec+ and Net+ (2008 and 2009 versions). Is there anyway around this? I took both exams in 2006 and don't want to take the new exams because of the new CompTIA renewal policy. Could I just take the courses w/o certifying.

And how generous are they with taking certifications? I have CCNP, CCNA, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, MCSE Security, MCSE, part of MCTIP done (just need one more test), Sec+, Net+, Project+, Server+ and Convergence+.

I currently teach through the Cisco Network Academy and USMC. I have more than five years of experience in IT.

I've looked at their course offerings. If I transferred there with a BA in Communications/Journalism, my certs and military transcript, would I only need to take the Java, web programming class and a few odds and ends?
  • uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    I took both exams in 2006 and don't want to take the new exams because of the new CompTIA renewal policy. Could I just take the courses w/o certifying.

I think they will transfer as long as they are no older than 5 years. WGU is different from alot of universities as the cert test is the final exam for a course. So it is required you get the cert. I know people who took similar courses at other schools but didn't go for the full certs. Almost all of them wish they had sat for the exams IMHO WGU's approach is much better since you finish loaded with certs.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    uhtrinity wrote: »
    I think they will transfer as long as they are no older than 5 years. WGU is different from alot of universities as the cert test is the final exam for a course. So it is required you get the cert. I know people who took similar courses at other schools but didn't go for the full certs. Almost all of them wish they had sat for the exams IMHO WGU's approach is much better since you finish loaded with certs.

I hope so. I don't want to go down the renew certification track with CompTIA. I'm trying to progress not regress but I like having the CompTIA bullets on my resume.

Can one view the BS IT Net Admin or Security class requirements for WGU? I tried looking for it but couldn't find it.
  • JaggedJagged Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    And how generous are they with taking certifications? I have CCNP, CCNA, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, MCSE Security, MCSE, part of MCTIP done (just need one more test), Sec+, Net+, Project+, Server+ and Convergence+.

If I transferred there with a BA in Communications/Journalism, my certs and military transcript, would I only need to take the Java, web programming class and a few odds and ends?

As mentioned, there is a 5-year rule on certs. As far as I know they are not as picky about versions. Technically MCSE 2000 is the same as 2003 in their eyes as long as it was achieved within five years.

There is a couple of PDFs on the website that have more details about which certs count as a transfer but I can give you some ideas.

IT Fundamentals I: Only the CIW test counts. But this test can be done by experienced IT in their sleep.

IT Fundamentals II & III (A+): Many certs cover this. It was cleared for me by MCSA.

JavaScript, Java, and OOD: Need matching classes or the actual cert in the JavaScript case.

Project Management: Project+, CAPM, PMP

Security I: A few certs cover this one as well. MCSE did it for me (the plain vanilla one, they didn't even care I had MCSE:Sec).

The rest are pretty specific, CCNA or MCITP, etc. but they tend to use good sense. Such as in my case if I switch to the MCITP:SA track since I went with the upgrade test I don't have 70-640 & 70-642 but the two matching classes are still cleared via MCITP:SA or EA.

The only general classes you will probably have to worry about will be the two Management classes and maybe the Logic class if you don't have it in your degree. But if you read through the threads, those have not been a problem for most here.

Now having a BA already, you fall under the 24 minimum CU rule. Let's see:

Education Without Boundries: 2
    CIW Site Designer: 3
    CIW JavaScript: 4
    Technical Writing: 4
    Capstone: 9

Well, there are 22 CUs in classes that just about everyone will have to take in all tracks. If you get your MCITP:SA first and go NetAdmin, I don't see any other CUs unless something doesn't transfer under your degree. Now if you go Security, there is an extra 6 CU for CIW Database. There you go, if you have no CIW certs, you have at least 28 CUs to take under the Security track.
    Microsoft: MCSE 4, MCSE 2003 +Security, MSCA 2003 Messaging, MCITP:SA -- Cisco: CCNA
    Novell: CNE 3-6, CLA, CLP, CLE -- Nortel: NCDS, NCSS -- CompTIA: Project+, Server+, Linux+, Security+

Courses Completed at WGU:
    EWB2, BBC1, LAE1, WFV1, SSC1, CLC1, WDV1, MGC1, ORC1, INC1, IWC1
    Courses Required BS - IT: NETW:
    LAT1, LUT1, INT1, SST1, LET1, IWT1, BOV1, TWA1, CPW2
    Classes Transferred:
    BAC1, TEV1, TTV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, TSV1, TPV1, TNV1, BRV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1
    I hope so. I don't want to go down the renew certification track with CompTIA. I'm trying to progress not regress but I like having the CompTIA bullets on my resume.

New certs don't cancel out the older ones in CompTIAland.
    Can one view the BS IT Net Admin or Security class requirements for WGU? I tried looking for it but couldn't find it.

Quick lists:
    Net Admin - BS IT - Networks Admin Course of Study
    Security - BS IT - Security Course of Study

Detailed PDFs:
    Net Admin - http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/BS_IT_NETW.pdf
    Security - http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/BS_IT_SECU.pdf
    Microsoft: MCSE 4, MCSE 2003 +Security, MSCA 2003 Messaging, MCITP:SA -- Cisco: CCNA
    Novell: CNE 3-6, CLA, CLP, CLE -- Nortel: NCDS, NCSS -- CompTIA: Project+, Server+, Linux+, Security+

Classes Transferred:
    BAC1, TEV1, TTV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, TSV1, TPV1, TNV1, BRV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Spiderjericho: IMHO it makes no sense to pursue another bachelor degree. I would be going after WGU's MS in INFOSEC.
    @Spiderjericho: IMHO it makes no sense to pursue another bachelor degree. I would be going after WGU's MS in INFOSEC.

It might depend on if he has the money or other means that would cover a Bachelor over a Masters. It would be the quickest and cheapest accredited 2nd BA/BS he could get. $3k and 6 months.

Classes Transferred: